PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Sleekcraft Tunnel 20ft

curtis26
07-03-2006, 11:50 PM
I just got this boat off craigslist from a fellow HB member what does everyone think? I dont know much about a tunnel hull or sleekcraft to tell you the truth but it looks like a good design that needs some tlc. I have replaced the center stringer and floor as you can see in the picture, I also tore out the blown 460 and have a mild one on order. I have no clue on the pump besides its a berkely 12jc-a with a droop snoot and 5 degree or so wedge. With the new engine and boat size what type of impeller should I be lookin to use and how fast is this boat design capible of doing pretty reasonably?

Old Guy
07-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Impeller is determined by engine hp.
http://files.triton.net/old1/sleek.jpg
old

slotracer
07-04-2006, 05:18 AM
was that the one in santa rosa?

bp
07-04-2006, 06:28 AM
whats that green thing inside it?

curtis26
07-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes that is the one that was in Santa Rosa, The green thing inside it is the new floor, thats the color of the fiberglass resin I used. The floor and center stringer were rotton I had to completly redo everything its solid now. Im not sure on the hp for the motor, im bumping the compression to about 10.1, adding a mild marine cam, dual plane intake and a double pumper. This boat had two small fuel filters and the electric fuel pump couldnt feed my lawnmower so im replacing all that as well. Im sure that double pumper was starving for fuel.

FLEA DIDDY
07-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey Curtis you'll like the ride of that hull, it takes chop with no problem. I have the same hull It's a SLEEKCRAFT ARISTOCRAT tunnel hull. Atleast it doesn't have the ugly ass windshield. Good find. I am almost finished with the hull/paint work on mine. You won't see to many of these hulls around.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics037.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/boatpaintpics036.jpg

FLEA DIDDY
07-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I just got this boat off craigslist from a fellow HB member what does everyone think? I dont know much about a tunnel hull or sleekcraft to tell you the truth but it looks like a good design that needs some tlc. I have replaced the center stringer and floor as you can see in the picture, I also tore out the blown 460 and have a mild one on order. I have no clue on the pump besides its a berkely 12jc-a with a droop snoot and 5 degree or so wedge. With the new engine and boat size what type of impeller should I be lookin to use and how fast is this boat design capible of doing pretty reasonably?
I bought mine with a worn out 460, dual plane double pumper and a cam, stock D1 heads with a berk pump, 8 degrees of wedge, ride plate, inducer loader, shoe and a diverter and it ran 65 mph 66-67 if it was choppy.

curtis26
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Sounds about like mine, the hull looks identical. Im fixing all the problems with this boat this year and if I like it then this winter ill tear it all apart and paint it. I have to start from scratch in the interior, im gonna build a bench for the back but need to find some nice buckets for the front for cheap or ones that are in need of repair. Im hoping for a smooth ride by 78 Bahner 18ft was a rough ride!! Id like to be in the 70's with this boat.....Hopefully!

kp216
07-05-2006, 02:56 AM
I have no clue on the pump besides its a berkely 12jc-a with a droop snoot and 5 degree or so wedge.
If it has a droop and wedge, wouldn't it have to be a split bowl and not a JC, unless the JC had been converted to a split?

hickz3
07-05-2006, 06:42 AM
I've got a 76 Sleekcraft Aristocrat, not a tunnel hull though.
Your's is looking pretty good.
I like what you did with the floor. I'm thinking of doing the same to mine, maybe next year.
Not her best pic
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/316100_0162.JPG

Aqua Boogie1
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I guess this hulls are good but they seem to be all projects. I have one also which is the tunnel hull, I have to post pics of it later when I take some. Does anyone know if there any websites with info on these boats???

curtis26
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
That was gonna be my next question was about the pump? It says 12JC-A but I know my other boat wasnt like that at all, So im thinking its been converted because it does have a wedge and droop snoot. I havent seen one of these hulls let alone a tunnel on the water or even a nice one in pictures? They like was mentioned earlier seem to be all projects? The floor I cut out with my skill saw I set it carefully so i wasnt cutting into the hull. Then I had to cut the center stringer out as well resined a new board and fibered it back. Then I went and got a sheet of 3/4 plywood, cut it to fit and resined the underside of it. After that cured I mixed more and dumped on top of each tunnel and layed the new plywood in and put a bunch of 5 gallon buckets on it to hold it down while curing. Lastly I cut my fiberglass mat big enough to overlap and layed it in mixed over a gallon of resin and started at the top and layed it on woking my way back letting it soak in. I used over two gallons of resin for the total job and it still could use another coat if i wanted but its as solid as a rock now!

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
That was gonna be my next question was about the pump? It says 12JC-A but I know my other boat wasnt like that at all, So im thinking its been converted because it does have a wedge and droop snoot. I havent seen one of these hulls let alone a tunnel on the water or even a nice one in pictures? They like was mentioned earlier seem to be all projects? The floor I cut out with my skill saw I set it carefully so i wasnt cutting into the hull. Then I had to cut the center stringer out as well resined a new board and fibered it back. Then I went and got a sheet of 3/4 plywood, cut it to fit and resined the underside of it. After that cured I mixed more and dumped on top of each tunnel and layed the new plywood in and put a bunch of 5 gallon buckets on it to hold it down while curing. Lastly I cut my fiberglass mat big enough to overlap and layed it in mixed over a gallon of resin and started at the top and layed it on woking my way back letting it soak in. I used over two gallons of resin for the total job and it still could use another coat if i wanted but its as solid as a rock now!Mine ran fine just looked like ass when I picked it up, Hull was/is solid. They are not popular because they are not a light layup so peeps shy away from them, but thats fine with me cuz I won't have to look at one parked next to me everytime I go out.

FLEA DIDDY
07-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I guess this hulls are good but they seem to be all projects. I have one also which is the tunnel hull, I have to post pics of it later when I take some. Does anyone know if there any websites with info on these boats???Info is few and far between, They are sleekcrafts aristocrats/ sst depending on who you ask. Sleekcraft went to building bigger boats after they soldout, they got sued by AMF which had a boat called slickcraft back in the 70's said the names were the same. My tunnel liked choppy water better than glassy I geuss it helped the hull get out of the water very solid smooth ride and turned fairly well, I would say it could handle up 90's and not make you shit yourself. we will see on that though.

bp
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
i've always liked the looks of the sleekcraft tunnels, and riding along next to one, it seemed to ride really smooth. the last one i saw was 6 years ago when i had my old tired 427 in the boat. he had a 460, and wanted to roll off with me, so we rolled off at around 30, and i left him so fast it was unbelievable.
now, compared to race hulls, my hull is a tank. but, that thing had to weigh a bunch more. and now you've added how much weight by adding that thick plywood/glass resin? the concept is, weight sinks the hull down in the water, and it takes more power to get it on top of the water, which is where it needs to be to go somewhat fast, like 60-70? it can be a nice cruiser, but the weight will kill speed...
i'd rip that floor back outta there, belt sand the heck out of the remnants of it, clean up the tops of the tunnels and center sponson, and work from there, if you want performance out of that hull.

1tricky1
07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I love my Sleekcraft, althought I'll have to agree, they are quite a heavy boat :frown:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/947Lance_boat_and_family_pics_066-med.jpg

Unchained
07-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I had one of those way back when too,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220SleekcraftAristocratTunnel.jpg
They are a heavy hull but ride nice and carry four passengers.
I like the classic lines and the rounded transom.

Old Guy
07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
I had one of those way back when too,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220SleekcraftAristocratTunnel.jpg
They are a heavy hull but ride nice and carry four passengers.
I like the classic lines and the rounded transom.
Nice boat Mark, how fast did it go......way back when?

later
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Had a 77 tunnel haul and gave it away.aside from that just sunk my new eliminator,not new but just bought.The tunnel was a nice ride.

Unchained
07-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Nice boat Mark, how fast did it go......way back when?
Hi Roger,
I had that boat from 1987 to 1993.
It had a mild blown 468 chevy and I went low 11's at 93 mph at the drags.
There's a bunch of hot boaters meeting at Hardy dam / Brower park this weekend if your interested. I'll be there with the jet boat on Saturday and maybe Sunday.

bp
07-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I love my Sleekcraft, althought I'll have to agree, they are quite a heavy boat :frown:
don't misunderstand, i've always liked the looks of these things, and the name fits, and the design should work well. as a cruiser, they work really well, but to go fast/quick, weight is always a factor, and making it heavier won't help in that department.

curtis26
07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Yah im going more for the smooth ride, i only wanna be in the mid to high 60's with this thing? I think that should be possible the guy i bought it from said it was doing 60mph on gps before it blew, and that was a tired 460. I put the new floor in and didnt even go as bulky as it originally was so in a sense it lost about a gallon or so of resin weight. It should look nice once the interior and paint are done.

1tricky1
07-10-2006, 08:57 AM
don't misunderstand, i've always liked the looks of these things, and the name fits, and the design should work well. as a cruiser, they work really well, but to go fast/quick, weight is always a factor, and making it heavier won't help in that department.
Well, mines no dragboat but it is still pretty quick to me, especially with a hit on the little blue button :2purples: And it cruises quite well! My biggest limitation is my 'e' pump. I've shoe'd it, drooped it and wedged it, but i hit a wall at about 80. Next project may be changing the intake and suction piece. :yuk:
As good as this hull works I've wondered about removing that floor and strengthening with stringers. But I remember reading an article from Shoemaker that stated this boat needs that floor or it will flex too much. Any body tried anything like that with this hull?

bp
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Well, mines no dragboat but it is still pretty quick to me,
mine wasn't laid up as a dragboat either, at 730lb bare. doesn't mean i can't race it.
My biggest limitation is my 'e' pump. I've shoe'd it, drooped it and wedged it, but i hit a wall at about 80. Next project may be changing the intake and suction piece. :yuk:
with an e pump, you're severely limited, blue button or no blue button. it's more fun to take a set hp value, and gain improvement by working the hull and setup. can't do much of that with an e.
As good as this hull works I've wondered about removing that floor and strengthening with stringers.
what's the weakness with the stringers that needs to be strengthened?
But I remember reading an article from Shoemaker that stated this boat needs that floor or it will flex too much. Any body tried anything like that with this hull?
that's a rather conservative statement, and doesn't provide a lot of insight. what is too much? why? there are a whole lot of tunnel boats running without flat floors installed, so why is this one different? couldn't there be a better way to assure structural integrity, other than adding a 200lb floor?

curtis26
07-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Well if your hitting 80 with the same hull and a "e" pump im pretty confident I can hit the 65 mark! :rollside: Im gonna have a mild 460 or 429 BBF, mine has a berk 12jc but it has a droop, wedge and diverter on it. It must be a different bowl because I didnt think you could droop a JC? :idea: Anyways I guess we will find out once the powerplant is in place. :crossx: :crossx:

SoCalKev
07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Curtis!!! Nice man, good work on the boat!
***boaters- This was my boat Curtis bought from me in Santa Rosa. Glad it went to a stand up guy like curtis.

curtis26
07-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Yah thanks Kev ill keep you posted I have your email I was gonna hit you with a few pitcures after the interior is done. As you see I completly replaced the floor and stringer that was rotton. The motor is out and completely shot so im working on a new one right now. The gel is gonna get buffed out this year and then if I end up really liking the boat ill paint it this winter. Its coming along good though ill keep you up to date.
Curtis :)

1tricky1
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
mine wasn't laid up as a dragboat either, at 730lb bare. doesn't mean i can't race it.
with an e pump, you're severely limited, blue button or no blue button. it's more fun to take a set hp value, and gain improvement by working the hull and setup. can't do much of that with an e.
what's the weakness with the stringers that needs to be strengthened?
that's a rather conservative statement, and doesn't provide a lot of insight. what is too much? why? there are a whole lot of tunnel boats running without flat floors installed, so why is this one different? couldn't there be a better way to assure structural integrity, other than adding a 200lb floor?
Mine must weigh close to 900 lbs. Someday I'd like to take mine to the races but I feel the weight would become an issue for me knowing it could be lighter.
I've had great fun modifying and tuning my 'e' pump and have made substantial improvements in top end and hole shot. I've changed loaders, bowl, added a droop and added a shoe and rideplate. Don't discourage other 'e' pump owners.
The Sleek's with a floor have no stringers running the length of the floor. There are stringers in the engine bay only and one in the middle up front.
By removing the floor I would think you would have to run/strengthen with stringers to save the integrity.
Conservative statement? providing insight?? Not sure what your getting at??? Not all hulls are made the same, the manufacturer put that floor there for a reason. Maybe what Greg was stating was too much flex would cause stress cracks eventually?
I'm trying to find out if anyone has taken the "factory" floor out of one of these hulls and found a lighter alternative of keeping the same structural integrity. If so, I would love to hear about it.

1tricky1
07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
65 should be no problem for you! Keep us posted on your project...it looks good! Didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I've been interested in lightening my hull and was hoping to find someone who had some experience doing that.

curtis26
07-11-2006, 09:04 PM
No prob, ill keep everyone updated!!

CcanDo
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I have a Sleekcraft 21 tunnel as well. I removed the wood between the two tunnels, built a small box under the back seat to bridge the tunnels, and another small under dash to support the tunnels. Next, I moved pump back 5 inches, put a Tom Papp style drop keel, straightened bottom, extrude honed bowl, 5 axis billet B impellor, droop, divertor. Installed 2 x 6 stringers on top of plywood over tunnels in engine bay, rail kit w/ pump support. Bone stock LS6 454 with Comp roller cam and Lightening headers runs 82mph GPS. Very solid, smooth ride. Will get some pics if you are interested.
BTW, removing the wood between the tunnels is the best thing you can do. That wood and glass is very heavy. Since it is so far forward in the boat, removal allows the boat/tunnels to lift MUCH better.
JE

CcanDo
07-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh - Sorry Garry! Credit where credit is due - Garry Snow (Performance Marine) did all the work - I just got to write the checks and hang out in Garrys lunch room for a year:))

BOOGEYMAN
07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Congrats!!! I love mine!

1tricky1
07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
I have a Sleekcraft 21 tunnel as well. I removed the wood between the two tunnels, built a small box under the back seat to bridge the tunnels, and another small under dash to support the tunnels. Next, I moved pump back 5 inches, put a Tom Papp style drop keel, straightened bottom, extrude honed bowl, 5 axis billet B impellor, droop, divertor. Installed 2 x 6 stringers on top of plywood over tunnels in engine bay, rail kit w/ pump support. Bone stock LS6 454 with Comp roller cam and Lightening headers runs 82mph GPS. Very solid, smooth ride. Will get some pics if you are interested.
BTW, removing the wood between the tunnels is the best thing you can do. That wood and glass is very heavy. Since it is so far forward in the boat, removal allows the boat/tunnels to lift MUCH better.
JE
This is exactly what I want to do. If you have pics to share I'd love to see them. Thanks! :cool:

Old Guy
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I also would like to see some pics.
old

bp
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Conservative statement? providing insight?? Not sure what your getting at??? Not all hulls are made the same, the manufacturer put that floor there for a reason. Maybe what Greg was stating was too much flex would cause stress cracks eventually?
i think ccan has already made my point. it's much easier, and less words, to say "leave it alone" in an article or jet tech response, then to get into some type of technical discussion of what would need to be done if the floor was removed to maintain some degree of structural integrity. it's all about how far someone is willing to go, how creative, how exotic, to improve performance of a hull.

1tricky1
07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
i think ccan has already made my point. it's much easier, and less words, to say "leave it alone" in an article or jet tech response, then to get into some type of technical discussion of what would need to be done if the floor was removed to maintain some degree of structural integrity. it's all about how far someone is willing to go, how creative, how exotic, to improve performance of a hull.
Agreed. I was hoping someone like CCando could share their experience with this transformation. I really think it would help get the boat to air out a little better as he stated. It definitely will take some committment to accomplish!

CcanDo
07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
I have no f%$#%in idea how to open these pictures into the post - so I guess you will have to follow link. Boat is pretty dirty, so I tried to show photos of the modifications you guys are interested in. Notice the "box" (two ribs with a top) that the back seat sits on. This box has drain plugs and glassed-in PVC on each end to keep the box dry. Also, note the rib in front of the foot throttle to support the tunnels. As I stated before, boat is very solid, and you sit inside the the boat with plent of leg room, instead of licking your knees with the flat floor. I am happy to help you guys if you have questions - just PM me.

CcanDo
07-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh - I forgot to mention... The first photo shows how the windshield track on the deck was filled and raised about an inch. Wish I would have gone a little higher, but it still turned out well.

taylormanss
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Ugliest boats ever made!

bp
07-20-2006, 05:35 AM
beautiful boat ccan!

CcanDo
07-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Thank you

echo
07-23-2006, 02:57 PM
On a Sunday morning in February 1976 I was at a gas station in Havasu,with a brand new 23' Day cruiser. I had ordered from a dealer in Ventura,ca. anyway, a guy walks up to me at the station and says he built my boat,spent alot of time explaining and just talking. R.I.P. Bruce,and thanks for alot of great boats.

jrork
05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Saw one of these in the back lot of a marina in Olympia, Washington the other day. Had a giant V8 Johnson OB hanging off the back which I dont mind but somebody grafted on a radar arch on it too.....:(
I could visualize that with a newer Merc hanging off the back and minus the arch ripping the saltwater up pretty good around here......hmmmmm.....like I really need another project...

atxwrangler
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15677&d=1153194763Nice lookin Sleek!!! I'm looking for a windshield for an Aristocrat, if anybody knows of one give me a shout.
very nice boat!:)

jrork
05-15-2007, 04:12 AM
:D
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/905/sleek001aazy6.jpg
Yup, that'd get er dun... Beautiful boat. What kind of speeds and what size merc?