PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here still use a dual point distributor?

77 Hawaiian
07-04-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a Mallory dual point that's functional. The engine is fairly mild (for a BBC), though i'm not sure of it's rated horsepower. Somewhere between 325 HP and 375 HP is my guess.
When my dad owned the boat he said he used to take the distributor to a guy who'd set the points, dwell, and whatever else on a machine.
How often does this need to be done and would I be better off with something breakerless?
I know back in the day dual points were hot stuff. I'm thinking the money would probably be better spent on a new intake manifold, dual battery setup, etc.

DelawareDave
07-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Dual points had an advantage over single points, when it came to coil saturation time, etc. But I would switch to an electronic ignition, if for no other reason than reliability, less maintenance, etc.

Beer-30
07-04-2006, 03:35 AM
What are points?
:boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:

Sleek-Jet
07-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Take the Mallory out and put it on a shelf for a keep sake... get an HEI and be done with it...

Bow Tie Omega
07-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I second that, be done with the points. You can get a new HEI for one and a half bills.

tbanzer
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Petronix makes a drop in electronic conversion for most distributors. I have used them many times with excellant results. When in an enclosed marine location a marine distributor is required,thats why I usually go with the conversion and keep the marine distributor as long as the bushings and advance mechanism is in good shape.

Beer-30
07-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Take the Mallory out and put it on a shelf for a keep sake... get an HEI and be done with it...
An ACCEL "Blueprint" HEI drop-in is like $70 or 80? All new distributor.

HammerDown
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I have a Mallory dual point that's functional. The engine is fairly mild (for a BBC), though i'm not sure of it's rated horsepower. Somewhere between 325 HP and 375 HP is my guess.
When my dad owned the boat he said he used to take the distributor to a guy who'd set the points, dwell, and whatever else on a machine.
How often does this need to be done and would I be better off with something breakerless?
I know back in the day dual points were hot stuff. I'm thinking the money would probably be better spent on a new intake manifold, dual battery setup, etc.
Yea I've got one in this...and it works GREAT!
There are few steps to setting them up properly (dwell meter required) and don't usually need to be rechecked till the end of the season (if) it even needs adjustment. I've gone more than one season without adjustment.
I thought about a Box MSD/Crane, maybe the Crane someday but my Mallory Dual point has NEVER let me down on the water. Personally I don't care for HEI's on open engines...just cause they look fugly.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/106421_Daytona.jpg

Rexone
07-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Mallory dual point dists are just as good now as they were before electronics, which IMO is (and was) pretty damn good. Cheap and reliable and fine the average hi po ski boat. Would I go drag racing with one, well no of course not. But they work good in everyday recreational applications that don't see tons of rpm. I'd venture to say that in a typical jet or vdrive that turns 45-5500 rpm you'd be hard pressed to see a performance difference betweeen a Mallory dual point with a good coil and a wiz bang electronic system. And Hammer is right, point maintenence is neither a big deal nor a frequent one.

Red Horse
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Remember, dwell affects timing, but timing doesnt affect dwell!!

centerhill condor
07-04-2006, 03:47 PM
I had the same set up in a '86 Condor... couldn't believe an '86 had points! so I switched to solid state and gained a smoother idle, easier starts, and no worries! sleek and the omega are giving good advice. I sold my old dual point to a guy on these boards.. and he loves 'em!
guess that's why some like chocolate, strawberry, etc! btw the dual points never let me down either.. but the day was coming.

jtmarten
07-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I just switched to an HEI from a dual point setup. Never had issues with the dual point (boat ran great with it), just got a good deal on a new HEI w/50K coil for about what it would have cost to upgrade to a better coil. I only checked the points/dwell at the beginning of the season. I installed new sets last year and this year they're barely worn, almost look like new. If you do switch and get a standard HEI, make sure you recurve the advance. If you don't it'll run like shiat. A marine HEI should have the advance curve setup correctly right out of the box.

HammerDown
07-04-2006, 04:38 PM
... so I switched to solid state and gained a smoother idle, easier starts, and no worries! ...
All due respects...if you gained all that from the change over...your point system wasn't set-up or maintained properly.
As for RPM...back in the early 70's my 69 Chevelle reved to 7500+ rpm without any issues from a dual point :cool:

RICHARD TILL
07-04-2006, 09:37 PM
i`m the guy who bought centerhill condor`s dual point. i take them and set the points on a perfect .019, get the advance right and they are hard to beat. i`m from the old school. been running them since 1968. i do the wrenching on my friends boat who runs a dual point and is a high points champion in the 11 sec. class. also have a boat that runs the 10 sec. class. it has a msd dist., coil and a 6al box. currently third in points m/e class sldba.org. named underdog. the only reason for the box is to have a rev limiter at the starting line. its also cheaper for me to run points. being a poor boy, i can take that money i saved and spend it elsewhere on the motor. another reason is we don`t win every race that we run, just most of them.

77 Hawaiian
07-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the advice all. It seems everyone is split 50/50, but I admit going electronic is the most foolproof method. Us boaters are constantly trying to improve our gear to minimize maintenance and such, which it seems so far is the biggest advantage for breakerless systems.
I'll probably make do with what I have for the time being. The boat is no where close to being finished, so I have plenty of time to debate what I need and what I want.

Rexone
07-05-2006, 08:11 AM
but I admit going electronic is the most foolproof method.
Very true. Until it don't work. Like everything else I guess.

rrrr
07-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Mallory dual point dists are just as good now as they were before electronics, which IMO is (and was) pretty damn good.
Just another excuse to keep the 1978 catalog in print. :crossx: :crossx:

QuickJet
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I still use a dual point distributor and will NEVER get rid of it. It's the only thing keeping my boat trailer from rolling out of the garage. They make great tire chaulks!!!

Catalina
07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Petronix is the way to go

SmokinLowriderSS
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Points do work well, but setting them, as simple as it is, is becoming a lost skill. I've never had to figure out dual points setting (thank heavens). I'm still running single points myself, til I can afford the upgrade setup I need.

HammerDown
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
...It seems everyone is split 50/50, but I admit going electronic is the most foolproof method. .
Make sure ya carry an extra $300.00 Box onboard ;)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Instead of $15 worth of spare points/condenser/feeler gauge? :)

Red Horse
07-06-2006, 04:10 AM
Dont forget your sandpaper, dwell meter and timing light for when you get it on the trailer. Setting points with a feeler guage take some getting used to. I was always off enough that I could hear the difference. However, you could take your points out, sand them true and get another month out of them!!!

Sleek-Jet
07-06-2006, 07:04 AM
I carry a spare module and coil for my HEI... I think I spent about $30.00...

GofastRacer
07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
There's nothing wrong with a "good" points deal, in fact Vertex mags uses points, mine lasted 20 years!.. :)

steve d
07-06-2006, 07:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with a "good" points deal, in fact Vertex mags uses points, mine lasted 20 years!.. :)
Good one Art