PDA

View Full Version : electrical problems???

squirt'nmyload
07-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Hello all, i'm new to jet boating and new to this forum and i have a question. I got a 74 wriegt maverick with a 460 in it. I had it out on the lake yesterday and ran it around for a good 4 hours(not all at once) when all of a sudden while cruising the engine shut down. When i tried to restart it, it was acting like the battery was dead and wouldn't turn over. Luckly my friends were there with their boat so they towed me in and i put her on the trailer. I just went into my garage and tried to start her up this morning and it turned over fine, it tried to start and when turning the key off the starter kept turning and before i could disconnect the battery the solenoid was starting to smoke. Does any of you think the solenoid may have got wet causing these problems? It is mounted on the bellhousing in the back of the boat. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!! Brian

BrendellaJet
07-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Id start by replacing the solenoid. Then look over all of your connections in your starting circuit and rewire as necessary. Make sure all connections are clean(not corroded) and tight.

460 jus getn it
07-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Sounds like you have a solenoid problem. Replace that and run it.

FASTRAT
07-04-2006, 09:34 AM
if its the solenoid...find a new location to mount it when u replace it to avoid future problems!...also as BJ said...ck all ur connections...if u have the wire block for all ur electrical connections on the back of ur motor...ck them to make sure they are clean & cover them with clear silicone to keep the water from corrodeing them
fastrat
p.s. there are alot of good Ford people around ur way...dont hesitate to ask any of them if u need any help!

squirt'nmyload
07-04-2006, 10:17 AM
thanks for the suggestions....I'm goin to replace the solenoid and relocate it and give it a shot
brian

GunninGopher
07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I've been told that a low battery can cause this situation.

FLEA DIDDY
07-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Hello all, i'm new to jet boating and new to this forum and i have a question. I got a 74 wriegt maverick with a 460 in it. I had it out on the lake yesterday and ran it around for a good 4 hours(not all at once) when all of a sudden while cruising the engine shut down. When i tried to restart it, it was acting like the battery was dead and wouldn't turn over. Luckly my friends were there with their boat so they towed me in and i put her on the trailer. I just went into my garage and tried to start her up this morning and it turned over fine, it tried to start and when turning the key off the starter kept turning and before i could disconnect the battery the solenoid was starting to smoke. Does any of you think the solenoid may have got wet causing these problems? It is mounted on the bellhousing in the back of the boat. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!! BrianEveryone is pointing fingers at the solinoid but that should'nt cause his motor to stop runnung while under a load, I think your problem may lie somewhere else and the starter/solinoid just happend to pop up at the same time.

El Prosecutor
07-04-2006, 04:02 PM
:idea: I wonder if the combination of sudden shut down while running, then not turning over to restart, then later the starter staying engaged could all be symptoms of a problem with the switch?
I had a somewhat similar situation where the starter would engage for no apparent reason, both with the engine off and with it running. It turned out that the rack steering housing behind the dash was moving a little when weight was put on the steering wheel, and the metal housing was making contact with and shorting out the starter switch. :220v:

wet77
07-04-2006, 06:02 PM
my first jet was a wreidt with a 460, I mounted a remote solenoid on the back of one of the cylinder heads and it worked great from then on.
Not sure if that is your whole problem though, it sounds like something in the ignition circuit?
Is your wiring for the ignition running through that stock strip terminal breaker that comes with most boats?
What is the condition of your charging system? Alt., battery, wires?
Make sure you have large battery cables it always helped me.
Good luck I am sure you will find it soon.

squirt'nmyload
07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
yes i have that strip where all the wires are and its mounted to the transom.....i just put a new battery in it and all new cables before i took it out in the water..the only thing i didn't change was the solenoid....I just got home from being out of town so i will probably mess with it tomorrow....i am also confused as to why the motor just shut down

squirt'nmyload
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
ok guys....don't laugh too hard but the boat RAN OUT OF GAS.....that explains why the motor shut down on me....i just checked the tank an it is empty....i didn't think i ran it that hard but it was my first time out with it so i was heavy on the throttle...i guess its time for a new gauge

460 jus getn it
07-05-2006, 02:32 PM
ok guys....don't laugh too hard but the boat RAN OUT OF GAS.....that explains why the motor shut down on me....i just checked the tank an it is empty....i didn't think i ran it that hard but it was my first time out with it so i was heavy on the throttle...i guess its time for a new gauge
If you hurry you can fix this before the sharks get ya. Its all good i think we have all been there. I bet you wont run out again.

GunninGopher
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I know someone that got a VW bus for free because the guy had his last straw with it. He had put a new porche motor in it and lots of other stuff. It still wouldn't go. My buddy towed it home, put some gas in it and it started right up. He offered it back but the guy wouldn't have it.
Back to your boat, if it kept cranking when you switched off of 'start' you still have a problem, though.

squirt'nmyload
07-05-2006, 03:26 PM
i've ran out of gas in every other toy i have so i guess it was only fitting that i ran the boat out the first trip....i am going to replace the solenoid maybe this weekend and i hope thats what the problem is

73WriedtCustom
07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
The ignition switch on my 73 Wriedt custom has issues. There is a ring on the back of it that clamps it to the dash. Sometimes it loosens and the starter will just click.