PDA

View Full Version : Tip over

Diablo54
07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
I finaly get to take my boat out this weekend for the first time. A few people I have talked to said that they herd Jet boats flip over and sink quite easily. I would believe this to be driver error, or does this happen more then people think??? :idea:

Cas
07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
flipping over? Hmmmmm, don't think I've heard of that in a lake boat? I've heard of mechanical problems in the steering and they spin out. I've heard of people doing wheelies and sinking. I've heard of other mechanical problems which cause sinking and I've heard a few other stories on how a boat sunk but not sure I recall a flip over.......on the race track, yes, there's been a few over many years.
I think I've read about more cats and tunnels flipping over than most any other boat.

Diablo54
07-05-2006, 07:04 AM
You are probably correct about the tip over thing I bet they where talking about sinking the boat. Starting to learn about the boat a little more through this forum and have read a few stories about people sinking the boat not tipping over. Excuse my ignorance

olbiezer
07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
doesent mater how it sunk.just that its bobing in the water lol.....hope it never happens to anyone :)

Cas
07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
As with any low profile boat there are some things that need to be taken into consideration. Maybe a list of things would be good..
1. when coming to a stop, keep an eye on the backwash to prevent it from coming over the transom. A little rap on the throttle will go along ways.
2. unless you're in a real calm cove, it's not a good idea to beach your boat. The transom will sit much lower in the water allowing fairly small waves to enter the boat.
3. if you don't have enough power to get on top of the chop or you don't have a diverter, it's best to slow down a bit so you don't nose dive the boat.
4. don't overload. I know it should be common knowledge but I've seen way too many boats with too much weight inside. My old 18' Tahiti had a capacity of 600lbs including gear stamped on the tag. That's not much when 3 adults were over 500.
5. if you do a wheelie and lose power, you just might go straight down.
I think most of the sinkings have been equipment failure related?

cave
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
I recamend a splash gaurd. Some here dont use them. I watched the water bounce off it 2 times yesterday even after tapping the throttle. It was rough out there.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't have a lot of fear due to the relatively huge freeboard of my old Taylor SS (and the covered engine), but if I had a very low-cut boat like cave's, I'd use the splash guard too, and I reccomend others do it.
I have a hard time picturing a lake boat (especially a "V") flipping even at 80+ mph speeds, tunnels & hydros are a different animal tho. They do catch and hold an air pocket and if the nose gets too high at high speed, they become a flat panel that blows over. I think even there tho we'd be looking at speeds in the 80+ mph range.
I have not yet grown enough sack to try "wheelieing" Lowrider. Not sure I ever will. I can just see a stall putting her under from that. the engine enclosure MIGHT displace enough H2O to save her, but might not.

Unchained
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I recommend a splash gaurd. Some here dont use them.
I personally wouldn't have a low profile boat without one yet I see guys run without them all the time.
I've had many waves go over the splash guard.
I seen a guy who showed up at a hot boat meet with a hydro and no splash guard. One 24' boat went by and his boat sunk like a rock. Now whos' fault was that ?

460 jus getn it
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
I personally wouldn't have a low profile boat without one yet I see guys run without them all the time.
I've had many waves go over the splash guard.
I seen a guy who showed up at a hot boat meet with a hydro and no splash guard. One 24' boat went by and his boat sunk like a rock. Now whos' fault was that ?
I dont have a slash gaurd and havent had a problem yet. I boat the same lake as cave and i havent taken on water yet.....................................

SmokinLowriderSS
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Glad you've dodged the bullets 460. I hope your luck continues on my man. :)

Diablo54
07-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Where would I find a splash guard??? :idea:

Devilman
07-06-2006, 06:11 AM
I dont have a slash gaurd and havent had a problem yet. I boat the same lake as cave and i havent taken on water yet.....................................
Yeah, but oil repels water..... With the slick around the back of your boat, your safe.:D

olbiezer
07-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Yeah, but oil repels water..... With the slick around the back of your boat, your safe.:D
so the exxon valdeze lives on in az huh lol :crossx: :)

Devilman
07-06-2006, 06:36 AM
so the exxon valdeze lives on in az huh lol :crossx: :)
Man, if you only knew how many times his boat's been called that! LMFAO! :rollside: He did fix it though. Really.... 5 times at least. :crossx: :D

460 jus getn it
07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Please refer to daffy duck.............................................. .....................

Devilman
07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Please refer to daffy duck.............................................. .....................
LOL :D

shaun
07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Another one that i see people forget to do...
6. point your boat out when ancoring it, dont point the nose at the shore.
As with any low profile boat there are some things that need to be taken into consideration. Maybe a list of things would be good..
1. when coming to a stop, keep an eye on the backwash to prevent it from coming over the transom. A little rap on the throttle will go along ways.
2. unless you're in a real calm cove, it's not a good idea to beach your boat. The transom will sit much lower in the water allowing fairly small waves to enter the boat.
3. if you don't have enough power to get on top of the chop or you don't have a diverter, it's best to slow down a bit so you don't nose dive the boat.
4. don't overload. I know it should be common knowledge but I've seen way too many boats with too much weight inside. My old 18' Tahiti had a capacity of 600lbs including gear stamped on the tag. That's not much when 3 adults were over 500.
5. if you do a wheelie and lose power, you just might go straight down.
I think most of the sinkings have been equipment failure related?

cave
07-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Tyro, yours is a different hull. Now Mikes is the same as mine. I had the jeebees when he stopped the boat at the cliffs. Man is he brave.
When you guys went to upper Saguaro I pulled into the no wake zone and a big wake from a bayliner rushed up against my splash guard. freaking fish bowl view. Lucky for me I have a tall one.
I hope Mike puts his back on.

Cas
07-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Another one that i see people forget to do...
6. point your boat out when ancoring it, dont point the nose at the shore.
oops, I meant to add that to #2, thanks!