PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion.

jkh04200
07-05-2006, 06:55 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a truck from Aunt. It was my Uncles truck who passed away about a year ago. She has decided to sell it. It is a 95 ford 3/4 ton extended cab, diesel with an automatic. It has 135K miles. Super clean, garage kept. He was very particular about his stuff. My only concern is the tranny. Where they reliable in that year model. I'd hate to buy it and have to sink 2500.00 in a new t-mission right off the bat.

cc322
07-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Try this site out, alot of good info to read. Or maybe pm shadow.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Fiat48
07-06-2006, 10:03 PM
In 1995 the powerstroke came out but the tranny would not take the power. So they started dialing the motor power back by reflashing the ECU on the truck at the dealerships.
I have a friend who has driven various years of Powerstrokes through the years and has put about 2 million miles between all the trucks he has had.
His 95 lost transmission at 70K. 2nd tranny went 100K after that.
His 99 has gone 234,000 on the original tranny. I know...because I now have that truck. I have driven it 24,000 miles.
On this 1999 he always kicked the transmission manually out of overdrive if he was pulling any kind of hill and had any kind of a load. Top of the hill he would go back to OD.
Later year trucks he got he continued to do the same thing and quit losing transmissions. May just be coincidence but thought you might want to know.
Heat is the transmission killer and working them up hills in overdrive....even though the motor seems to easily pull the hill...works the tranny very hard.
Pull the trans dipstick and check the fluid. Is it clean and a nice red color and no burnt odor? Or is is slightly brownish color and smell somewhat burnt?
What and how did he tow with it? Take it to a tranny shop and let them drive it and tell you whether the shift points are right, etc. Then you can make an informed decision.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Ya may want to check the service history, good chance it's already had a tranny replacement.

jkh04200
07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Thanks fro the info.
Fiat you said they started dialing back so the tranny could handle the power. Can the transmission be modified during rebuild to accept all the power or more. I've heard these motors have alot of potential, reprogrammer, exhaust etc... I haven't seen the service records yet, but she has all of them. She read to me yesterday that on 1-22-03 transmission slipping. Installed a rebuld transmission and an inline filter. 373.24. I know, I know, a tranny shop is gonna charge close to that just to R & R. I'm not sure what they replaced.
They pulled a fifth wheel, 27' travel trailer. It was used 4 times max. He had health problems for the last 6 years so the trailer was'nt used after 2000 again.