PDA

View Full Version : A couple RV A/C tips for the river:

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Our last two weeklong trips to Parker, mid day the A/C barely blew, and wasn't cold.
This was because Park voltage dropped to the low 100's.
I got a tremendous amount of E mails and PM's from others on the HB board with the same problem asking for a fix. Kokopelli even ran a thread asking for solutions.
Here it is and then some:
Picked up "Da Finest Kine" Line Voltage Transformer from Dougs in Azusa to help maintain the Trailers A/C during peak load demand mid afternoon evening.
This is the one ya want:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_013-med.jpg
It has a two range scale/two step, super boost with different shade LEDs that light up telling you what it's doing - which is always a cool feature with any electronic device.
Park Voltage was 105 volts along the beach sites and this was my reading from a wall outlet in my trailer with the super boost on:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_001-med.jpg
It was really cashing in Amps for volts mid-day into the evening and the A/C produced cool air, and plenty of air flow.
The drawback is running the microwave when it's in peak boost mode can cause the breaker to still trip. But you can run the TV, satelite dish ect., or simply turn the stat up for a few minutes while ya nuke something.
If your park power drops into the mid 90 volts or lower, this booster unit may not be the cure.
The operators need to pull bigger rope to the sites and bigger transformers on the poles.
Many older Havasu parks were built before RV's had all these nice appliances, and most people left town in the summer anyway.
Running a mister at the A/C outside units air inlet (the condenser) dropped the head pressure too and helped even furthur but you can skip this idea.
Another trick I stumbled upon:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_016-med.jpg
Neighbor camper cut his leg on his prop. When we went over to see,, I noticed he had his duel air seperatly plugged in.
Not a common electrical connection to each other in the RV.
He could start one,, then when its starting amps calmed down, he could plug in another he said.
I think the real idea is he would use an adjoing campsites power with an extension cord if it was vacant.

OutCole'd
07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Any good AC guys in Havi? I'm sure I will need to do some AC work on my estate there at the Islander soon.

GunninGopher
07-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Would you elaborate on what you purchased. I know you are at Emerald Cove, and we spend at least 2 weeks a year there.
We'll never get beach front, but I'd still like some particulars.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Would you elaborate on what you purchased. I know you are at Emerald Cove, and we spend at least 2 weeks a year there.
We'll never get beach front, but I'd still like some particulars.
Yeah, you'll usually get beachfront if you're willing to wait on the list and re-move mid stay.
We rolled in Thursday no reservation, and got on the beach legit.
I hate to spam stuff on anyones website, but if you decide to buy ya might want to mention ya read about it on ***boats and they should buy some advertising. The HB lurkers are really scooping these voltage boosters up.
Here's the set up:
When lots of people are camped at Emerald or most any other park, the voltage drops from a normal 115 volts,, to the low 100 volts.
This isn't enough to keep your Rv A/C at peak operating condition. The airflow will diminish, and it won't run cool.
Amps soar so the breaker will trip or open as well.
This kinda device is a 'wound together' auto transformer and it will swap the excessive amps for more volts.
The one mentioned in this thread is the good one with two big super scales of operation, and an auto changeover and auto bypass., but many others not so unique are avaliable at RV supply places for more money.
It's built by a So Cali Edison engineer in his garage who had a brainstorm of a better, improved way to do it.
It is 'Da Finest Kine", streets ahead of the others.
Dougs voltage boosters: 888 624 3347

GunninGopher
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
TPC,
I struggled to find anything that seemed useful on Google using your information. I found someone on whitepages.com but it looked like an electrical contractor.
Please PM with more contact information, if possible.
Thanks for the help. Last weekend we were tripping the breaker a lot and I'm thinking this might help.

Sleek-Jet
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
The operators need to pull bigger rope to the sites and bigger transformers on the poles.
They don't want to pay for it... we get complaints all the time from RV parks about low voltage... we go, check service size and load factors... tell them they need to up the pot and wire size, here's how much... "Never mind" is what we usually hear.
Till the next time the volts dip... :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
07-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the help. Last weekend we were tripping the breaker a lot and I'm thinking this might help.
Remember Ohms law... Volts X Amps = Watts... so if the voltage goes down, the amps go up to maintain the work load... that's why the breaker keeps tripping.
Prior to this weekend, I was looking at one of the step up transformers. They can be purchased in 30 amp and 50 amp flavors, depending on the service size you're wired for in the RV.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
TPC,
I struggled to find anything that seemed useful on Google using your information. I found someone on whitepages.com but it looked like an electrical contractor.
Please PM with more contact information, if possible.
Here it is:
888 624 3347
Dougs voltage boosters.
Tell him ya read about it on ***boats.
Make sure you order correct: either 30 or 50 AMP.

Havasu Luvr
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Hmmmm? I always thought when the AC was not blowing as much air it was because it was frozen up with ice. The demand was to much to keep the air cooler and the AC would not cycle to let the ice defrost. When this happens to me I just turn off the AC for about 10 minutes and watch all the ice melt and run off the roof then turn it back on and BINGO...working again....Hmmmmmm?

sigepmock
07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Hmmmm? I always thought when the AC was not blowing as much air it was because it was frozen up with ice. The demand was to much to keep the air cooler and the AC would not cycle to let the ice defrost. When this happens to me I just turn off the AC for about 10 minutes and watch all the ice melt and run off the roof then turn it back on and BINGO...working again....Hmmmmmm?
Dave,
We're pretty lucky at the park with 100 amp service. No voltage drops that I've ever seen even mid-day, but then again the park isn't that full and it's relatively new compared to the Parker parks. I think icing up is our worst enemy not the voltage drops.
Just my thoughts,
Chris

Beautiful Noise
07-05-2006, 12:40 PM
TPC,Do you know what kind of Price he gets for them..........Camping World has the 30amp Models for $359.00 :cool:

ThongMagnet
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
How much is a gas powered 30 amp generator???

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
TPC,Do you know what kind of Price he gets for them..........Camping World has the 30amp Models for $359.00 :cool:
$325 for the 30 amp model.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Iceing is usually from a low freon condition, or a superheat adjustment on the TCV, or a few other problems could cause it.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
How much is a gas powered 30 amp generator???
A quiet one is $2k and unless the power is out to the park, most parks don't allow running them.
Another tip is to run your AC full cooling with the fan on so it doesn't cycle.
The cycling is what usually will trip the circuit breaker.
Pull the thermostat to the coldest during the day so it will keep running.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Bump, getting lots of enquiries about this thread.

JB in so cal
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Had this happen this weekend:
rolled into the trailer, unlocked and went to go turn it on. Worked fine for about 15-20 minutes blowing cold. Then the compressor shut down and it started to blow hot. Took the cover off the fuse/breaker panel and set a fan in front of it. Went out on the boat for a few hours and when we came back it was cool.
I'm thinking the internal panel-cooling fans couldn't keep up as there were very few RV's in the park and none within 15 spaces of mine to eat up amps.
Sound right TPC??

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Had this happen this weekend:
rolled into the trailer, unlocked and went to go turn it on. Worked fine for about 15-20 minutes blowing cold. Then the compressor shut down and it started to blow hot. Took the cover off the fuse/breaker panel and set a fan in front of it. Went out on the boat for a few hours and when we came back it was cool.
I'm thinking the internal panel-cooling fans couldn't keep up as there were very few RV's in the park and none within 15 spaces of mine to eat up amps.
Sound right TPC??
Yea, that can happen if the compressor is cycling on and off.
Solution:
Ya set the thermostat to the coldest and let it run so it doesn't cycle on and off.
It's pulling mega amps thru the breaker when it re-starts, and that's what trips it.

JB in so cal
07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Here's the thing. It was about 116 outside, so at least that inside; the highest setting on my therm is 90, so it wouldn't have had long enough to get it down that low. Once it started going down, I keep it set at about 75-80 and on high.
I never had another hiccup all weekend and we had outside lights, cart charger, etc hooked up and nothing.
Heat does crazy shiat to stuff!

slowinhavasu
07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Any good AC guys in Havi? I'm sure I will need to do some AC work on my estate there at the Islander soon.
Just give us a call....Kool-Wave A/C 928-855-5665.....ask for Carey