Castaic -- informed other users of the speed
record.
It was 9:15 p.m. Jan. 9, less than 48 hours
before Wiseman and three friends died in
Steve Coloumbe's speed boat, that he posted
the following:
"Today at Castaic Lake Steve from HTM tested
his new 30-footer twin HTM ... an awesome
speed of 149.999 ... and we ran out of props.
We might do more testing later in the week.
Not bad for a 30-foot boat."
Acton-based HTM -- High Torque Marine -- was
owned by Coloumbe, who designed and
manufactured high-performance boats. Wiseman,
Coloumbe and two HTM employees were testing a
30-foot, twin-hulled catamaran prototype when
the boat flipped and sank just before 2 p.m.
that windy Friday.
In the days leading up to the crash,
Wiseman's near-150 mph claim quickly had
become a hot topic on the message board.
Posted by "warlock25" at 10:26 p.m., Jan. 9:
"Wish we could have seen it run. Hopefully he
will bring it to Havasu this spring or
summer. I can't imagine what it must look
like to see a 30-foot boat going 150 mph.
What next?"
"150 mph is some serious, serious speed. I've
been 135 mph in a car a couple of times ...
150 mph on the water would feel so much
faster. Where were the cops?" a poster
identifying himself as "rivercrazy" noted at
5:09 p.m., Jan. 10:
And then Wiseman -- his words still visible
two months later -- posted a response that
leaves questions about special treatment
afforded to the high-profile boaters who
tested their crafts at Castaic.
Posted by mrpumpsHTM -- Wiseman -- at 5:28
p.m., Jan. 10:
"Castaic we kind of have an in ... but you
didn't get that from me."
Lifeguards at the popular recreation area,
who asked not to be named, said supervisors
had urged lifeguards to "look the other way"
when certain boat manufacturers tested their
latest designs on the water.
County Parks and Recreation officials
acknowledge that one local boat manufacturer
is allowed to use a launch ramp at Castaic
that usually is closed to the public. And a
1990 internal memo from parks officials to
lifeguards directs them to ease off and
ticket boaters only after the third
infraction, a move parks officials said at
the time was aimed at over-zealous lifeguards
and one that the lifeguards said never was
rescinded.
Based on witness accounts and inspection of
the broken boat at Castaic, a Los Angeles
County Sheriff's Department investigation
concluded that the boat was traveling 90 to
120 mph when it flipped and sank in about 250
feet of water.
Wiseman's last entry on the message board,
logged at 8:20 a.m. the day he died, was
hauntingly prophetic:
"It was the first shot, the first boat we got
wet. Next time I think we will see a lot
more!!!"

Donnie
04-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Well its looks like Amy Raisin...
Can't Understand Normal Thinking

MrHavasuCat
04-01-2002, 03:45 PM
What else would you expect from the news media. Anything to sell papers!!

ROZ
04-01-2002, 04:36 PM
Since Amy has visited this site and will probably check it again for any type of response, here's my .02...
Amy, What a brilliant blurb in your paper. You managed to get 3 of the most important quotes that have ever been posted on ***boat.net to make your story. NOT! Amy, I think if you read ALL of the posts after the accident took place you may have picked up on something....We all learned a little something about life that day. Go back and read through it. As a matter of fact, I believe there was a topic about a group purchase of high performance life jackets and another on saftey tips. You didn't write anything about that.
The way I see it is that after 4 people lost their lives in an accident, fellow boaters rallied around to do what they could to help. You didn't mention that Havasu Hangin' and Jetboat Brian helped set up a memorial fund either. You obviously don't understand this subculture.
Like Mr. Havasucat said," Anything to sell papers."

MissHBjet
04-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Lets not forget to mention this either...
Tunnel and Friends Memorial Regatta
The event will be held at the Nautical Inn in Lake Havasu on June 7th and 8th, 2002.
This event is not just for Tunnels, it will be open to everyone. Even if you don't have a boat come and show your support.
This is a time to help our friends, who are dealing with an unimaginable loss. I know the victims of this tragedy would want us to continue boating and would appreciate us watching over their loved ones.
If you are interested please e-mail your name, address, phone number, boat make and model to jokerswildpromotions@citlink.net
If you will not be able to attend, we will gladly accept your donations and direct them to the HTM Memorial Fund.
ALL PROCEEDS WILL GO TO THE HTM MEMORIAL FUND!
Sincerly
Todd Taylor
Jokers Wild Promotions

waterbum
04-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Miss Raisin,I do believe you could be refered to as a bottom feeder!!I could see no purpose in your article other than to throw salt in an open wound.I could go on but don't even care to talk to someone of your mean spirited character so buzz off. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif Bum
[This message has been edited by waterbum (edited April 01, 2002).]

No Drama
04-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Acton-based HTM -- High Torque Marine -- was
owned by Coloumbe, who designed and
manufactured high-performance boats. Wiseman,
Coloumbe and two HTM employees were testing a
30-foot, twin-hulled catamaran prototype when
the boat flipped and sank just before 2 p.m.
that windy Friday.
In case you didn’t comprehend your own writing, the key word in this paragraph is “TESTING”. These guys were out testing a prototype. Yes, they were proud of their achievement in the design and concept, but just like GM, Ford Motor Corp. Mercedez Benz, and every other manufacturer tests their products for safety and reliability in questionable situations. So were these men. Steve and his crew of professionals did not hand over a boat to anyone with the financial ability to purchase, with out knowing the safety and characteristics of every piece they manufactured. Perhaps you may also suggest a testing ground for this and all other manufacturers. This was a controlled situation where the public was not placed at any risk and the crew was composed of the most experienced personnel for these conditions. You may want to take some time and read your own articles a few times before they go to print as not to misinform the public on your own misguided opinions and damaging the reputation these unfortunate men left behind. And yes you may quote me in your next ill-advised article.

No Drama
04-01-2002, 09:26 PM
I wrote a letter to the Editor of the Daily News, expressing my own opinion regarding the article written by Amy Raisin . I suggest all of you interested, follow suit. The letter is as follows.
To whom it may concern,
In reply to the article written Monday, April 1, 2002, by Amy Raisin Boater boasted of speed, privilege. I find this to be very uninformed and rather insulting to the boating community. Not to mention the stipulation leading to the idea that these men were irresponsible in there actions. The writer clearly states and quotes a one sided conversation held in the forums of Hot Boat. net. From my own personal knowledge members who heard stories from other members or read articles from newspapers that were believed to be true write these post. The fact is not one person knows as a fact what the actual speed was. Not one person knows the cause of the accident, for that matter not one person actually saw the accident from a clear point of view. Everything that has been publicized has been hearsay. Not one word has been fact. Except there was a boating accident and four men lost their lives. As a reader of your newspaper, I feel it was careless of her to write this article on pure speculation. Readers of The Daily News look towards informative, educational and what is believed to be reliable information. Not someone’s misguided opinion. Particularly if her opinion is calculated to shed more negativity where it is not welcomed nor justified. The boating community has suffered a great loss and if she would have taken the time to read the hundreds of posts written there after. It would have been clear of what a positive reaction this misfortune developed. Members of this forum came together to mourn the loss of friends and to remind our selves of the possibility of unplanned accidents. Everyone on these boards and in this boating community has taken steps to further their education in safety and accident prevention. Everyone is highly encouraged to slow down, think and to be aware of his or her surroundings. Boating safety is no longer taken lightly. I don’t believe I read any of this in her article. Perhaps you owe us a follow up on her enlightenment.
Yours Truly,
No Drama
Hot Boat Forum Member

DMB
04-01-2002, 10:49 PM
I agree that enough has been said regarding this subject and the horible outcome of that day will forever be a tragedy that should have never happened.
However I do see some factual statements to the story and tests have been conducted by recognized authorities,the results of these tests point to negligence and unsafe conditions,not to mention extreme and unresonable speeds.
When stating that they were simply testing with public safety in mind, I find this a very loose and almost insulting term when refering to that day and the true motivation of witch was to set a speed record and in turn to promote boat sales and bragging rights.
Someone please define testing for me.
Let me state that I fell sorry for the loved ones left behind to suffer the consecences of that fatefull day, and while there has been some good to come of this fatefull and tradgic event,how does this erase the facts and responsibility of those involved.
Sorry, but I just do not see the slander that your describing.
[This message has been edited by DMB (edited April 01, 2002).]

Infomaniac
04-02-2002, 05:39 AM
BITCH

ratso
04-02-2002, 06:46 AM
C'mon...We can do better than Bitch...I doubt it will make the papers. Bitch doesn't even PO my wife anymore. You have to take a more personal approach to it. Can someone get a picture of her posted? This could be fun.

Racing Ray
04-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Tell me, has anyone even given thought to how this paper happened to even find our little world?
I doubt seriously she just happened by here by some sort of mistake. Check back how far that thread she quoted has slid into history.
I wonder more what member tipped the newspaper that those posts even existed. I went back and reviewed all those posts last night, see if you can figure it out. I think I have.

gimprvr
04-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ratso:
C'mon...We can do better than Bitch...I doubt it will make the papers. Bitch doesn't even PO my wife anymore. You have to take a more personal approach to it. Can someone get a picture of her posted? This could be fun.
I like Ratso's Idea, let's get a picture....maybe a little cut and paste with Tracy Lords and viola!!! we got a new thread. Or do we already have her picture on the swimsuit thread of the media center, you'll know.....

RiverDave
04-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Racing Ray:
Tell me, has anyone even given thought to how this paper happened to even find our little world?
I doubt seriously she just happened by here by some sort of mistake. Check back how far that thread she quoted has slid into history.
I wonder more what member tipped the newspaper that those posts even existed. I went back and reviewed all those posts last night, see if you can figure it out. I think I have.
And?
RD

RiverLife
04-02-2002, 12:18 PM
I was wondering the same thing RacingRay, but haven't come to a conclusion..... I second RD's question (And?). I'm curious to know why this person allerted the press.
BTW - F**K the news people, I've always hated them.

RiverToysJas
04-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Maybe we could figure this out this way:
Wasn't Me.
RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

gimprvr
04-02-2002, 01:45 PM
didn't do it!!!!

Magnum
04-02-2002, 01:59 PM
The negative comments made by members are childish and spoken out of anger. Although we are all saddened by the tragic events that occured, we can not ignore the reality, the facts that were mentioned in the article. The tests were not "sanctioned", there were no emergency vehicles standing by, and lifeguards have been asked to look the other way. Rather than complain and insult the Daily News reporter, we should all gather together to make sure that nothing like this EVER happens again. We should also hold responsible the lifeguard officials who allowed this to occur.

RiverToysJas
04-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Magnum:
The negative comments made by members are childish and spoken out of anger. Although we are all saddened by the tragic events that occured, we can not ignore the reality, the facts that were mentioned in the article. The tests were not "sanctioned", there were no emergency vehicles standing by, and lifeguards have been asked to look the other way. Rather than complain and insult the Daily News reporter, we should all gather together to make sure that nothing like this EVER happens again. We should also hold responsible the lifeguard officials who allowed this to occur.
First off, who are you? Are you a boater?
I thought emergency vehicles were always standing by, one needs only dial 911 to get them rolling to your location. "Life Guards" were on boats and in the water at the time of the accident.
"we should all gather together to make sure that nothing like this EVER happens again." Like what, testing of new boats? Or Accidents while testing? Isn't it the duty of the builder to find the edge of the envelope? Isn't it the responsible thing to do? OR by "like this" do you mean should nobody ever die doing what they love? That would certainly be ideal, but we don't live in an idea world. We are fortunate to live in a country where we are free to take risks. Those men knew just what they were doing, they knew the risks involved and they knew there was a chance they would not return to the dock. That's the game some of us choose to play. Yes there were precautions that those four men didn't take that MAY have saved one or more of them, maybe not. Two men died at the Parker circle races in November, those were experienced racers, in a SANCTIONED event, with emergancy personel on boats nearby, and thay had proper racing gear on. That's boat racing buddy. It's dangerous to push the limits in this sport, not unlike many other sports.
This tragity DID open the eyes of many people here. It did spur much thought about safety. It did cause many of us re-evaluate what we do and how we do it. If you had been around here more than a day, you'd know that. So get back on your high horse and take your soap box somewhere where you actually understand the situation.
"We should also hold responsible the lifeguard officials who allowed this to occur." Allowed this to occur? I didn't know any of them were in the boat, or at the controls? I didn't know LA County Life Guards were Gods that decide who dies and who lives in tragic crashes. OR do mean that they let them, and others, run their boats above the posted speed limit? Yes, they did do that and yes four people died as a result of it. You can find your peace with this situation by blaming whoever is convient, but the fact is they could have run that boat to 150mph any place they chose to. They were breaking the law and THEY paid the ultimate price, the driver specifically is accountable for that. But they all knew the situation, they knew the speed limit was 35, not 150. If they'd been busted for speeding, the driver would have gotten the ticket, not the life guard that 'let it happen'. Since there was tragic death involved it's now different? I think you would have much prefered they took their fatal ride away from your city and park. Fair enough I guess, you claim to live there. You'd not even care about this event if it hadn't brought attention to the area you call home.
If you are a boater, are you a custom boat owner? IF so, have you ever exceeded the 35 mph speed limit at Castaic?
RTJas
BTW 'Magnum' or Amy or whoever you are, I don't hide behind anonymity, my e-mail address is in my profile!
[This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited April 03, 2002).]

DMB
04-02-2002, 03:21 PM
F%$ck , here we go again.

RiverToysJas
04-02-2002, 03:28 PM
We're going baby, too late to turn back now!

superdave013
04-02-2002, 04:46 PM
RiverToysJas, Just an idea here. Lake Ming has a test and tune day every Thrusday between 8:00 and 11;00. Anyone can go test what ever they want and they will be the only boat on the water. It can get kinda crowed the Thursday before a race but most of the time only A few people are there.

Infomaniac
04-02-2002, 05:06 PM
C'mon...We can do better than Bitch...I doubt it will make the papers.Bitch doesn't even PO my wife anymore. You have to take a more personal approach to it. Can someone get a picture of her posted? This could be fun.
Probably would not want to see her picture. Is her last name for real or just a nickname due to the size of her breasts? Maybe her brain.
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited April 02, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited April 03, 2002).]

RiverToysJas
04-02-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
RiverToysJas, Just an idea here. Lake Ming has a test and tune day every Thrusday between 8:00 and 11;00. Anyone can go test what ever they want and they will be the only boat on the water. It can get kinda crowed the Thursday before a race but most of the time only A few people are there.
That's great! I don't need it myself, but I'm glad to know about it so I can tell people who would be interested.
I don't think the twin engine 30' HTM could have taken much advantage of it.
They could have legally gone to Elsinore though.

No Drama
04-02-2002, 06:35 PM
Or they could have legally suffored the same tragedy there, or anywhere else for that matter.

77charger
04-02-2002, 07:21 PM
The thing that got to me was that some of their friends were saying that that was a family boat MAYBE capable of 65mph and could cruise at 45mph all day long?Who are they trying to fool.Statements like this raises more ?S

RiverLife
04-02-2002, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magnum:
[B]The negative comments made by members are childish and spoken out of anger.
I am NOT childish!! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

Blown Sleek
04-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Charger I read the same thing in the castaic newspaper! They really covered it up.
Don't get me wrong but I would have climbed in that boat and everyone could have been ragging on me. I just met Steve a couple times but he was a real welcoming nice down to earth guy.

77charger
04-02-2002, 09:14 PM
I would have gone for a ride too no doubt about that.But come on maybe 65 with two 900hp motors.Some people might give me hell for saying this but who cares.its my opinion and investigators are not dumbasses.Most boats are now capable of 45 mph with 1/4 the hp of one of those motors.I do have my own opinions on what probably caused a crash but no one knows the exact cause so i keep it to myself.Although i will say that i dont think this boat was doing 150 mph or near it when it crashed.

HTM Lady
04-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Guess what guys and gals. the article is out and we cant do anything about it.( Dont let these people get to you) I would love to find out who let them know about Chucks posts. What everyone needs to remember is that there are a few of us that will never get over this accident and every time it starts up again we get hurt again. I can only hope that everyone has learned from it and will be safe.Summers coming and I hope everyone keeps in there mind how fragile and special there lives are.

MissHBjet
04-02-2002, 10:54 PM
HTM lady good to see your sticken around. Hang in there.

HAVASU_RUNNING
04-02-2002, 11:16 PM
i heard from a guy who fishes there on castaic and said he was there when it happened and that one of the drives got stuck on some kind of cable at the dock prior to the accient and that could have been part of the problem maybe something happened to the drive or something like that. but then who know for sure, it sure was sad.
also is magnum amy or what

Charley
04-03-2002, 07:17 AM
H_R this fisherman's story sounds like an extremely important piece of info/possible clue..... is that account for real or a fish story?

deserteagle
04-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by DMB:
I agree that enough has been said regarding this subject and the horible outcome of that day will forever be a tragedy that should have never happened.
However I do see some factual statements to the story and tests have been conducted by recognized authorities,the results of these tests point to negligence and unsafe conditions,not to mention extreme and unresonable speeds.
When stating that they were simply testing with public safety in mind, I find this a very loose and almost insulting term when refering to that day and the true motivation of witch was to set a speed record and in turn to promote boat sales and bragging rights.
Someone please define testing for me.
Let me state that I fell sorry for the loved ones left behind to suffer the consecences of that fatefull day, and while there has been some good to come of this fatefull and tradgic event,how does this erase the facts and responsibility of those involved.
Well said DMB. Took the words right out of my mouth.

shockwaveharry
04-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by DMB:
I don't believe the article is slanderous, but I do think it's inflamatory and purpously one-sided to promote the authors agenda. The idea she tries to convey in the article is that performance boaters are wreckless, lawless and dangerous. She believes that law enforcement should more tightly control what we do on the lake. SHE QUOTES ONLY THE POSTS FROM OUR MESSAGE BOARD THAT SUPPORT HER POINT OF VIEW. I fault her because I think it's an uninformed opinion.
I'm pissed because I know that the vast majority of people who read her article will think she knows what she is talking about, believe we are the "bad guys" and never take the time to read the other hundreds of posts on this board pertaining to safety on the water and boater awareness.
I think alot of good has come from this tragedy in the form of people coming together to help injured families in times of crisis. I also think boaters in general are more safety concious now as well (I know I am).
Amy Raisin dosen't think these things are important so she left them out of her article.
Harry

RiverToysJas
04-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks Harry, very well stated!
RTJas

shockwaveharry
04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Jason, thanks for ripping Magnum, the one post wonder, a new one!

BoatFloating
04-03-2002, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure if anybody knew but a HTM rolled by the turn at Sandbar this past weekend. I was at the lake but not at the Sandbar at the time but a friend was. Everyone (4) was unhurt. I guess according to my buddy, they were going pretty fast into the turn hit a wake and rolled it. On this article in the Daily News. I used to live in the valley and it's nice to see that fish rap still stinks. This story is a little old now even though we can't forget what happened. The story means nothing now months later. I think someone has a axe to grind. I'll give my oppinion on the saftey issue. 911 is not a rescue team on site they just come after it's too late. The article in Hot Boat gave me some insight. I think they should have had a chase boat going at those speeds and wearing the proper gear. Would this have saved thier lives only one person knows that. But we do know the answer because they didn't. I just hope we all learned something. BE SAFE!
BF.......
[This message has been edited by BoatFloating (edited April 03, 2002).]

ROZ
04-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Hey BF and others interested, Check out ***boats hot spots. There Chet17 states exactly what happened.

Magnum
04-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
First off, who are you? Are you a boater?
I have lived here in Castaic for several years now and frequent the lake, I don't own a boat but I have gone boating several times.
I thought emergency vehicles were always standing by, one needs only dial 911 to get them rolling to your location. "Life Guards" were on boats and in the water at the time of the accident.
"we should all gather together to make sure that nothing like this EVER happens again." Like what, testing of new boats? Or Accidents while testing? Isn't it the duty of the builder to find the edge of the envelope? Isn't it the responsible thing to do? OR by "like this" do you mean should nobody ever die doing what they love? That would certainly be ideal, but we don't live in an idea world. We are fortunate to live in a country where we are free to take risks. Those men knew just what they were doing, they knew the risks involved and they knew there was a chance they would not return to the dock. That's the game some of us choose to play. Yes there were precautions that those four men didn't take that MAY have saved one or more of them, maybe not. Two men died at the Parker circle races in November, those were experienced racers, in a SANCTIONED event, with emergancy personel on boats nearby, and thay had proper racing gear on. That's boat racing buddy. It's dangerous to push the limits in this sport, not unlike many other sports.
This tragity DID open the eyes of many people here. It did spur much thought about safety. It did cause many of us re-evaluate what we do and how we do it. If you had been around here more than a day, you'd know that. So get back on your high horse and take your soap box somewhere where you actually understand the situation.
I am very aware of the situation that occured. And I wasn't attempting stand on a soap box. I just feel this was a tragic accident that could have been prevented.
"We should also hold responsible the lifeguard officials who allowed this to occur." Allowed this to occur? I didn't know any of them were in the boat, or at the controls? I didn't know LA County Life Guards were Gods that decide who dies and who lives in tragic crashes. OR do mean that they let them, and others, run their boats above the posted speed limit? Yes, they did do that and yes four people died as a result of it. You can find your peace with this situation by blaming whoever is convient, but the fact is they could have run that boat to 150mph any place they chose to. They were breaking the law and THEY paid the ultimate price, the driver specifically is accountable for that. But they all knew the situation, they knew the speed limit was 35, not 150. If they'd been busted for speeding, the driver would have gotten the ticket, not the life guard that 'let it happen'. Since there was tragic death involved it's now different? I think you would have much prefered they took their fatal ride away from your city and park. Fair enough I guess, you claim to live there. You'd not even care about this event if it hadn't brought attention to the area you call home.
If you are a boater, are you a custom boat owner? IF so, have you ever exceeded the 35 mph speed limit at Castaic?
Yes people exceed the limit all the time. I am aware though that lake "officials" look the other way. I am suggesting that a policy such as that encourages unsafe behavior. It should be an example to all of us that even seasoned professionals, acting on their own can suffer such tragedy. I was trying to communicate that it was a shame that everyone needs to express themselves in such an angry way, and we should ALL try to make sure that this NEVER, EVER, happens again.
RTJas
BTW 'Magnum' or Amy or whoever you are, I don't hide behind anonymity, my e-mail address is in my profile!
Oh please, I'll send you my e-mail address. I'm not hiding.
[This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited April 03, 2002).]

RiverDave2
04-03-2002, 07:45 PM
I think they should have had a chase boat going at those speeds and wearing the proper gear.
Great now ya got two boats hauling ass. What's the point of the second one to run the people over after they flew out of the first?
I'm just kidding with ya BoatFloating, but for some reason that thought kept running through my head when I read that sentance.
RD

RiverToysJas
04-03-2002, 09:06 PM
Well, I did get an e-mail from Mr. Thomas "Magnum" PI.
I can confirm he's not Amy!
I've said my peace, both here and via e-mail.

h2oedits
04-04-2002, 12:43 AM
Amy Raisin's inane bit of sensationalism was so out of line and unprofessional that when I saw the posting with her story, I halfheartedly hoped that it was some sort of misguided and inappropriate April Fool's joke. Clearly, it was of no real news value whatever, and was an example of why Amy Raisin will, if we are fortunate, be forever relegated to a minor league, piss-sheet rag like the LA Daily News. Not only was her junk-news story obviously insensitive to the families and friends of those involved, but it also points to the editorial priorities of a publication that chooses to publicize what should have been merely an unfortunate footnote to a very outdated piece of news.
Big time shame and karma to whomever stirred this rancid pot to begin with -- unfortunately, he or she is among us on the boards -- for calling its attention to Ms. Raisin. Is it newsworthy that LifeLine Safety Jackets reports unprecedented sales of their Poker Run Jackets as a result of the accident, and the publicity that followed? Not when your standards and reporting practices have been honed and shaped on those practiced by the Globe and Enquirer.

spectra75
04-04-2002, 02:50 AM
Kevin, I'd like to thank you for your post and your opinion on this subject. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm concidered a "lurker" on these boards. I've gained much knowledge from these posts and have not really contributed. There is an incredible amount of talent and knowledge here with the common love of performance boating. A good, clean family sport. It's too bad that there are "dipsticks" like Ms. Raison who, because of her occupation, have a great deal of influence on how people perceive the sport we love and the men and families who unfortunately died doing what they love.
Spectra75

superdave013
04-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Well, here is my take on it for what it's worth (and that's not much).
Chuck aka Mr. Pumps said some things on the internet for the entire world to see. Amy found it (by tip or whatever) and quoted him.
You better not post anything that might come back haunt you (or your fellow boater) later. I bet for every person that posts here there is 200 people lurking. Some are the police, news reporters and even the sierra club and green piece.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-04-2002, 07:54 AM
I have heard, by one of the other members, that there are ~7200 registered members on these boards, yet 90% of the posts are by only 100 people. So, that tells me two things, 1. SD is right, there are lot of lurkers on this board, and 2. Those of that post a lot have way too much time on our hands. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
HD the original
I bet for every person that posts here there is 200 people lurking. Some are the police, news reporters and even the sierra club and green piece.

superdave013
04-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin:
I have heard, by one of the other members, that there are ~7200 registered members on these boards, yet 90% of the posts are by only 100 people. So, that tells me two things, 1. SD is right, there are lot of lurkers on this board, and 2. Those of that post a lot have way too much time on our hands. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
HD the original
And I don't think you have to even be a member to read the posts. Other forums show how many people view the threads (I think that's pretty cool). I posted some pics of parts I made for a downhill mountain bike on a MTB related site. It got over 3,600 views the first day with only 15 replies!

BoatFloating
04-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ROZ:
Hey BF and others interested, Check out ***boats hot spots. There Chet17 states exactly what happened.
Thanks ROZ, I saw that after I went and posted this first. I guess my buddy saw the other 2 people in the water helping and thought they came from the boat. I'm glad everyone is ok.
BF.....

ROZ
04-04-2002, 05:37 PM
You better not post anything that might come back haunt you (or your fellow boater) later. I bet for every person that posts here there is 200 people lurking. Some are the police, news reporters and even the sierra club and green piece.
Or your wifes or/and girlfriends.....So REALLY watch out. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

ratso
04-04-2002, 07:07 PM
I Always Feel Like Somebodys Watching Me...
And I Get No Privacy...
(Who sang that song?)

Havasu Hangin'
04-04-2002, 07:18 PM
I Always Feel Like Somebodys Watching Me...
And I Get No Privacy...
(Who sang that song?)
1984- Rockwell (with MJ)
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif
[This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited April 04, 2002).]

blown23vee
04-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
Thanks Harry, very well stated!
RTJas
rtj & shockwaveharry, you've got the right idea going, way to go. No reason for anyone to step all over our way of life...especially as far from our world as they probably are.
blown23

Lifeguard
04-07-2002, 07:07 AM
It wasnt a "lifeguard" official that made the decision to punish lifeguards that enforce California Boating Law on the lake. It was a LACO Parks and Recreation official(s). The lifeguards would never place vehicle entrance fees and launch fees above public safety.
Originally posted by Magnum:

Infomaniac
01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Tomorrow the anniversary of that terrible day