PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tow with a Rhino?

Froggystyle
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Now that we have the Toterhome (we call it a Boaterhome... ;) ) we are using it nearly every weekend. Even though we have a totally trick, street legal golf cart (Thanks Nubbs!) we are looking to do even more with our support vehicle.
Like for example... launch and recover the boat with the thing. Obviously, the golf cart isn't going to do the trick, but we see people launching with Rhinos and Rangers a lot. Mostly 21' boats and under though.
Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the 10 lane at Pleasant or the bigger ramps around the area, but I am talking about the ones at the river at Windsor, Parker and Martinez.
See, thing is that the Boaterhome is nearly 65' long with the boat on the back. Total bitch to back into tight launch ramps. Additionally, you need to break down your house to put it in in the morning. Which means that 6 hungover people get to wake up at 6:00 with you to go beat the crowds with the launch... people get very, very pissed about the jocko-bozo drill on the ramp with one guy in the cart guiding you by radio and a blind back-up etc... So, we do it early.
Long story short, I am looking preferably at a Rhino. They look the coolest and will easily fit in the boho. Plus, obviously the parts are available. I have no problem putting some money into the engine if torque can be added and is needed to pull it out of the water. I am also looking at the John Deere "Gator" with a diesel engine, the Polaris Ranger and others.
There is also a "hauler" version of the Rhino available in the catalog. Anyone know if this has lower gears or more power or something?
I don't go duning, I will lightly off-road the thing. Mostly, we are going out to dinner in it, getting ice and going to an from launch ramps.
Any ideas?

Mandelon
07-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I think it would work. The Trident is big, but light.
Plus I will volunteer to drive your golf cart around almost every weekend thus generating all that name recognition.
Did you see the Magic boat ad in Powerboats last month? Page 54 or 56 maybe. Same colors as yours.......but the graphics are different.

77charger
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Might want to look inot the polaris ranger 6x6 it has almost 2k towing capacity and 6 wheel drive.We use one for launching my race boat even though it is only a 18 ft flatbottom but it can handle the weight better than the rhino its also wider making it very stable.
I think the rhino is rated for around 1k towing.I see rhinos launching race boats with ease too but for a boat yuor size might want bigger.Braking(as in stopping) should be a factor too

Trailer Park Casanova
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
At Emerald Cove they have a sign asking not to tow with golfcarts, but nothing about Rhinos. Not to ever be negative, but things could get carried away real quick in the river current if the wind puts the boat in irons.
I prefer a heavy launch vech. Echo Lodge store is covered with pix of tow vech's being swept away with the boat still on the trailer.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812july_4_2006_015-med.jpg

MrsSigEpMock
07-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Rhino might be a stretch.....I towed our 16' flatbed with it and the Rhino didn't like it....not so much the pulling weight just the tounge weight really squatted it. I think you'd be overloading the Rhino. Might have to look at the Polaris Ranger.....it's built more for towing, better check the tow rating....if that doesn't work I know the bigger Kawi Mules will work. We bought 5 of them when we built the prisons in Victorville and towed everything from generator/welders to compressors, even towed out the water truck a few times. They did great but only have a 35 mph top speed and no where near the suspension of the Ranger or the Rhino...definately more of a tractor than buggy.
or for the money you could build a pretty nice Jeep.....
Just my $.02,
Chris

sigepmock
07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Rhino might be a stretch.....I towed our 16' flatbed with it and the Rhino didn't like it....not so much the pulling weight just the tounge weight really squatted it. I think you'd be overloading the Rhino. Might have to look at the Polaris Ranger.....it's built more for towing, better check the tow rating....if that doesn't work I know the bigger Kawi Mules will work. We bought 5 of them when we built the prisons in Victorville and towed everything from generator/welders to compressors, even towed out the water truck a few times. They did great but only have a 35 mph top speed and no where near the suspension of the Ranger or the Rhino...definately more of a tractor than buggy.
or for the money you could build a pretty nice Jeep.....
Just my $.02,
Chris
Damn it I hate when I log on as her :argue:

Phat Matt
07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I think you would be better off with a Jeep.

KACHINA KEN
07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Now that we have the Toterhome (we call it a Boaterhome... ;) ) we are using it nearly every weekend. Even though we have a totally trick, street legal golf cart (Thanks Nubbs!) we are looking to do even more with our support vehicle.
Like for example... launch and recover the boat with the thing. Obviously, the golf cart isn't going to do the trick, but we see people launching with Rhinos and Rangers a lot. Mostly 21' boats and under though.
Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about the 10 lane at Pleasant or the bigger ramps around the area, but I am talking about the ones at the river at Windsor, Parker and Martinez.
See, thing is that the Boaterhome is nearly 65' long with the boat on the back. Total bitch to back into tight launch ramps. Additionally, you need to break down your house to put it in in the morning. Which means that 6 hungover people get to wake up at 6:00 with you to go beat the crowds with the launch... people get very, very pissed about the jocko-bozo drill on the ramp with one guy in the cart guiding you by radio and a blind back-up etc... So, we do it early.
Long story short, I am looking preferably at a Rhino. They look the coolest and will easily fit in the boho. Plus, obviously the parts are available. I have no problem putting some money into the engine if torque can be added and is needed to pull it out of the water. I am also looking at the John Deere "Gator" with a diesel engine, the Polaris Ranger and others.
There is also a "hauler" version of the Rhino available in the catalog. Anyone know if this has lower gears or more power or something?
I don't go duning, I will lightly off-road the thing. Mostly, we are going out to dinner in it, getting ice and going to an from launch ramps.
Any ideas?
How about instead you use your charming personality and liase with HB peeps in each area to bring a truck and put you in your Frog-ness??? Don't be proud, ask mutha!

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Won't fit in the moho. I would love to get a Jeep into the equation, or cheap truck or whatever... but it can't be more than 10 feet long at it's longest, and has to weigh under the 1600 pound capacity of the lift gate.
So, it has to meet those requirements, and the Polaris is a little big on all counts. Plus, I understand that you can put superchargers and turbochargers on the Rhino's now, which would likely be the first mod.

Phat Matt
07-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Won't fit in the moho. I would love to get a Jeep into the equation, or cheap truck or whatever... but it can't be more than 10 feet long at it's longest, and has to weigh under the 1600 pound capacity of the lift gate.
So, it has to meet those requirements, and the Polaris is a little big on all counts. Plus, I understand that you can put superchargers and turbochargers on the Rhino's now, which would likely be the first mod.
Gotcha. Have it done by Labor Day and then launch at site 6. :D

XFactor
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Look for a Suzuki Samuri. I've seen guys pull some big boats with these. They strip'em down, re-gear the diff and away they go. Should be under 1800lbs striped. Not sure on the length.
Check the tounge weight on some of these 20-21 ft boats that people pull with Rhinos. Is it the same as yours? I saw a Rhino with a small boat (approx 18ft) and 4 people in the Rhino. It had a serious squat.

LOWRIVER2
07-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I've launched/loaded a 24ft. Pontoon with a Rhino at River Shores. It does the job but I think it would be under weight pulling your boat out in a current. I'd have to agree with TPC on that one.

BADBLOWN572
07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
We have used our Rhino to launch some smaller boats and wave runners. Even with an 18' STV behind it, you could smell the clutches cooking as you are pulling it out. I think that you would be fine towing on flat ground, but if you ever have the boat fall off the end of the ramp or are on a steep ramp, forget it!!!

sigepmock
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Power isn't the issue, it's the toungue weight and the Constant Velocity Transmition. Snowmobile style clutch with rubber belts. The clutches just aren't set-up to pull that much weight and you will burn them up. Also with the coil-over suspension in the rear it's only set-up for it's own weight. You could change the spring rates to handle the weight but then it would ride like crap when empty.
It's really as simple as the fact that they were never made to tow that much weight. I'm sure there are ways to make it work but it wouldn't be a Rhino by the time you got done with it.
Check out the Kawi Mule 3010 Diesel :crossx:
http://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=164&tag=utility
SPECIFICATIONS
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, three-cylinder, overhead valve diesel
Displacement: 953cc
Bore x stroke: 72 x 78mm
Compression ratio: 24.8:1
Carburetion: N/A
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Compression with glow plugs for starting
Electrical: 12V DC, 52 amp-hour battery, 40 amp alternator
Transmission: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with high and low range, forward, neutral and reverse
Final drive: Shaft, selectable four-wheel drive with dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: 23x11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Steering: Rack and pinion
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
Dry weight: 1,505 lbs.
Overall length: 112.6 in.
Overall width: 57.5 in.
Overall height: 76.0 in.
Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
Ground clearance: 6.9 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
Load capacity: 1,632 lbs.
Cargo bed capacity: 1,100 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 11.2 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight/brakelight, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight, speedometer
Color choices: Woodsman Green or Aztec Red
MSRP: $9,999

79Challenger
07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
We have a polaris ranger. The thing is great. Launched and recovered all we tried. Although the largest was a 26 Chapparal, it seemed like it would of done alot more.

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
We have a polaris ranger. The thing is great. Launched and recovered all we tried. Although the largest was a 26 Chapparal, it seemed like it would of done alot more.
Where did you launch at? That Chapparal weighs thousands more than the Revolution...
This is good news.
BTW, the specs on that Mule put it with the same towing capacity as the Rhino... 1200 pounds. So does the Ranger, and the Gator etc...
Any type of reduced gears you can get for the Rhinos yet?

sigepmock
07-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Where did you launch at? That Chapparal weighs thousands more than the Revolution...
This is good news.
BTW, the specs on that Mule put it with the same towing capacity as the Rhino... 1200 pounds. So does the Ranger, and the Gator etc...
I know the specs are the same for both the Rhino and Mule but in reality the Mule is the tractor of the side by sides. We towed a lot more than 1200 lbs with the mules for more than 3 years with out any problems. The mule can also handle a lot more tounge weight, it's a solid rear axle not indy like the Rhino. When I was working for a contractor building $100 million dollar projects we tried every golf cart, Mule, Gator, Ranger, cheap jeep out there and we had the best success with the Mules....so much in fact that the company set up a deal with Kawi to by direct. The mules were more useful and could go more places. They were also cheaper to maintain than the 3/4ton company trucks.
Sounds like you made your mind up on a Rhino so......
You can get modified sheaves for the Rhino for low end power, the mud running guys are using them to turn big tires.
Then you'r going to need to get a set of custom rear coil-overs with a really high spring rate, talk to Evo22, he can set you up. Also look at getting some stronger rear avles like those that come with the long travle kits.
If I were set on a Rhino and wanted to pull the boat, and was willing to throw out the risk of the boat pulling the Rhino into the lake :crossx: , I'd get a long travel kit all pimped out and then have a trick set of air bags added to the rear the handle the extra weight from the trailer. But that's just me....:)
Chris

Cole Trickle
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I know the specs are the same for both the Rhino and Mule but in reality the Mule is the tractor of the side by sides. We towed a lot more than 1200 lbs with the mules for more than 3 years with out any problems. The mule can also handle a lot more tounge weight, it's a solid rear axle not indy like the Rhino. When I was working for a contractor building $100 million dollar projects we tried every golf cart, Mule, Gator, Ranger, cheap jeep out there and we had the best success with the Mules....so much in fact that the company set up a deal with Kawi to by direct. The mules were more useful and could go more places. They were also cheaper to maintain than the 3/4ton company trucks.
Sounds like you made your mind up on a Rhino so......
You can get modified sheaves for the Rhino for low end power, the mud running guys are using them to turn big tires.
Then you'r going to need to get a set of custom rear coil-overs with a really high spring rate, talk to Evo22, he can set you up. Also look at getting some stronger rear avles like those that come with the long travle kits.
If I were set on a Rhino and wanted to pull the boat, and was willing to throw out the risk of the boat pulling the Rhino into the lake :crossx: , I'd get a long travel kit all pimped out and then have a trick set of air bags added to the rear the handle the extra weight from the trailer. But that's just me....:)
Chris
Does Black Rhino sell a Pontoon add on kit for the Rhino yet?;) (A.K.A. the Hippo)
The Rhino does alot of things well but I don't think I would tackel a steep slippery ramp with anything that weighs over 1500lbs unless you want to go for a swim. :rollside: :)
<----- starting a new company Pink Hippo Performance.com :idea: :crossx:

79Challenger
07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
This is good news.
We launch at our little ramp at the river. Mostly concrete, but lots of wayward substrate.
A month or so ago our garages got broken into. Our neighbor had his Ranger stolen. It seemed as if the theives used it to tow other stolen goods. The transfer case was shot. It is supposed to have been "built" since. It is now alot faster than ours. There must be some sort of gearing you can do.

sigepmock
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Does Black Rhino sell a Pontoon add on kit for the Rhino yet?;) (A.K.A. the Hippo)
The Rhino does alot of things well but I don't think I would tackel a steep slippery ramp with anything that weighs over 1500lbs unless you want to go for a swim. :rollside: :)
<----- starting a new company Pink Hippo Performance.com :idea: :crossx:
You know the pontoon is about the only boat i would really feel comfortable launching with the Rhino :crossx:

XtrmWakeborder
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Look for a Suzuki Samuri. This is exactly what i would do. Drop a 350 in it, strip it down and make it a tube buggy sorta and youd have the ultimate launch vehicle.

Lightning
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I would think that it's a stretch with the Rhino on your boat, especially is tongue weight is an issue. I think a Suzuki Samurai would be the way to go, plus they are thousands cheaper.
Get one with no top, take off the doors, remove the back seat, weld on a hitch, drop it in 4low and you're good to go. It would probably fit in the moho and be just at the right weight.

Roaddogg 4040
07-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Froggy: A simple soloution for the tounge weight problem would be to put a rubber wheel on the tounge jack "Reinforced Tounge Jack" to take the weight off of the tow rig (wichever one you choose).
Steve

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Stop saying Samurai or Jeep. They are too large, and weigh too much. Period. I need something that is light, small and can tow the boat in and out. The Mule looks like it might be the deal but it is 400 pounds too heavy. The golf cart weighs just under 1,100 all decked out and the lift will not carry two people and the cart. Figure it gets stopped in it's tracks at about 1500, and that is the Mule's dry weight advertised. Add a cage, take away the bed, add some seats etc... and I bet it would be too heavy. :(
Tough nut to crack. I don't know that the system exists to do what I need to do, but what I am looking at right now is building a Rhino with a supercharger, airbags and upgraded clutch assembly. The company I am looking to work with is providing a suspension, body panels and cage etc...
Who knows... I was just hoping to find out someone was towing their 21 Schiada in and out with it all the time or something. The Trident weighs in at under 6K on the trailer, which is only slightly more than my last 21, which I saw being launched with impunity at Fischers landing this weekend.

rlj676
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I think I see where this is going, and in a few years there will be a new vehicle on the market, with all the looks and plus of a rhino, but with a serious tow capacity named Lightning (Zuess's weapon in hand). I'm fairly new around here, but I can only imagine this is how you decided to make Trident, which looks awesome by the way.

Lightning
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Stop saying Samurai or Jeep. They are too large, and weigh too much. Period. I need something that is light, small and can tow the boat in and out. The Mule looks like it might be the deal but it is 400 pounds too heavy. The golf cart weighs just under 1,100 all decked out and the lift will not carry two people and the cart. Figure it gets stopped in it's tracks at about 1500, and that is the Mule's dry weight advertised. Add a cage, take away the bed, add some seats etc... and I bet it would be too heavy. :(
Tough nut to crack. I don't know that the system exists to do what I need to do, but what I am looking at right now is building a Rhino with a supercharger, airbags and upgraded clutch assembly. The company I am looking to work with is providing a suspension, body panels and cage etc...
Who knows... I was just hoping to find out someone was towing their 21 Schiada in and out with it all the time or something. The Trident weighs in at under 6K on the trailer, which is only slightly more than my last 21, which I saw being launched with impunity at Fischers landing this weekend.
How hard is it to get a lift with a higher weight capacity?

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
How hard is it to get a lift with a higher weight capacity?
Irrelevant. The capacity of the garage/moho is near it's limits at a full load of water, fuel and 1500 in the garage. If I can't lift it, it shouldn't be in the garage...

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I think I see where this is going, and in a few years there will be a new vehicle on the market, with all the looks and plus of a rhino, but with a serious tow capacity named Lightning (Zuess's weapon in hand). I'm fairly new around here, but I can only imagine this is how you decided to make Trident, which looks awesome by the way.
In the words of "Big Weld"... "See a need... fill a need"!
And thanks for the good words. It certainly does fill the need well!

Lightning
07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Irrelevant. The capacity of the garage/moho is near it's limits at a full load of water, fuel and 1500 in the garage. If I can't lift it, it shouldn't be in the garage...
"I think we're going to need a bigger boat"

Big Kahunaa
07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
In the words of "Big Weld"... "See a need... fill a need"!
!
thats funny could you put a brake controler on it to use the trailer brakes to help stop it

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 02:08 PM
thats funny could you put a brake controler on it to use the trailer brakes to help stop it
Thinking about that myself. From what all of the Rhino guys are saying, the brakes aren't the problem. This should be able to control the boat all the way down the ramp on a shallow ramp. Where the drama would exist is in pulling it out...

Big Kahunaa
07-06-2006, 02:16 PM
just run the boat up on the trailer a little fast to give the rhino a head start

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
just run the boat up on the trailer a little fast to give the rhino a head start
That is the other deal. I understand if you just nudge them up a little to get started you are 90% of the way there. Plus, with the jet, we don't have to worry about dragging an outdrive while doing this.

XtrmWakeborder
07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Well i have the solution then, new motorhome and THEN the samurai! The problem i'm thinking about is the fact that on a slippery ramp the rhino would just slip into the river. It wouldn't be to fun getting sucked into the river.

2Driver
07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
My thoughts too. Tick out a CJ5 assuming you have room in the RV. I towed with my CJ5 for 5 years in Havasu and we lived up on the south side. Worked great and doubled as my desert 4x4.

Froggystyle
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
My thoughts too. Tick out a CJ5 assuming you have room in the RV. I towed with my CJ5 for 5 years in Havasu and we lived up on the south side. Worked great and doubled as my desert 4x4.
How many different ways do I have to say 1200 pounds, under 10 feet long?
Seriously, no Samurais, no Jeeps, no Chevy Blazers... Too big, too heavy.
BTW... we are coming to Pleasant this weekend. You down?

2Driver
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
How many different ways do I have to say 1200 pounds, under 10 feet long?
BTW... we are coming to Pleasant this weekend. You down?
Dope!
Didn't read the whole thread and went right to the suggestion box. I figured it might be too big.
We are all home and may hit either Pleasant or Bartlett this weekend. My new trailer tires are not going to be in until next week so I risk towing on the GoodyearÂ’s that one of separated on the 4th. Spare is on. What day are your going out. We'll be sure to come by in our boat if we choose Pleasant.

48OFF
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont think pulling it out will be the problem, keeping from being pulled down the ramp backwards will be the exitement. Do the math less than 1200lb on wet pavement trying to stop 6000lb with the front wheels locked up trying to hit the lake and not everything else in the way. When trying to not hit something you will have to let up on the brakes to steer, only to make you go faster backwards.After the 1st time, you will come up with a new plan in a hurry.All this after spending $9000 on one of the above machines. I have a 21ft boat and dont think I would ever try to do it. I have done the backwards skidding ,locked up, no stopping thing with a 4 wheeler trying to launch a single pwc. And they are much closer in weight to each other, and a pwc is not a $180,000 machine. Make one of your buddies bring a pickup to be the launch vehicle.

wsuwrhr
07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I may know someone who can resolve ANY power/transmission issues you may have.
Turbo systems I believe are in the $5-8000 range. Pricey.
I don't know the tongue weight/total capacity available for towing though.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I dont think pulling it out will be the problem, keeping from being pulled down the ramp backwards will be the exitement. Do the math less than 1200lb on wet pavement trying to stop 6000lb with the front wheels locked up trying to hit the lake and not everything else in the way. When trying to not hit something you will have to let up on the brakes to steer, only to make you go faster backwards.After the 1st time, you will come up with a new plan in a hurry.All this after spending $9000 on one of the above machines. I have a 21ft boat and dont think I would ever try to do it. I have done the backwards skidding ,locked up, no stopping thing with a 4 wheeler trying to launch a single pwc. And they are much closer in weight to each other, and a pwc is not a $180,000 machine. Make one of your buddies bring a pickup to be the launch vehicle.
Exactly my concerns. Kinetic energy.
Brian

sofa king smooth
07-07-2006, 06:46 AM
I've pulled my river cruiser out at my house at the river once with the rhino,and my neighbor pulls his 20ft rayson craft gn out all the time with his.
Just put it in 4 wheel and lock the diff. We even go from dirt to concrete. I wouldn't worry about it.

sigepmock
07-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Well there you go Wes.....next time you're in Havasu let me know and you can use my Rhino to test it out....if the Trident pulls the Rhino into the lake....oh well....I know you're good for it :crossx:
Let me know,
Chris

2Driver
07-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Well there you go Wes.....next time you're in Havasu let me know and you can use my Rhino to test it out....if the Trident pulls the Rhino into the lake....oh well....I know you're good for it :crossx:
Be sure to go to site 6 so we all get pictures :rollside: :) :rollside:

Eliminator951
07-07-2006, 08:14 AM
For what it's worth, if you are not going to the dunes I would not go turbo or supercharger unless you want to dump a ton of money into it. I have a Ranger XP and it has a ton of low end torque. I haven't pulled a boat with it yet but I have considered it often. The Ranger also comes standard with a 2" receiver as well as much larger tires stock over the Mule. Unless some specs have changed recently, the Ranger was the only one with a fully locked 4x4 system electronically on the fly (others have a limited slip on one or 2 axles); Plus it is Twin Cylender Fuel injected. I have heard reports in the Off Road Utility forums that the Rhinos do not have a stump pulling low gear like the Rangers. Take a look at both, the Ranger has a substantialy larger drivetrain.
If your looking to trick it out, the Ranger has been way behind on aftermarket parts but it is slowly catching up.
If weight is an issue, my buddy often takes the bed off his when we go to the dunes for more speed, it weighs approx 100 - 150 lbs or so. He just installed a turbo charger on his a few months back. I wouldn't recommend it for towing but it does move now.
Do most campspots that allow golf carts allow Rangers?

gottaminute?
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
i know you are near the capacity of the toter as far as gvw and length laws but do you still have towing capacity? think about a stacker trailer with the jeep/ samaraui deal. could solve all your problems at once. the only issue i can forsee is the width of the boat vs. trailer uprights (i've never seen a boat/trailer pic)
pat

Jafojunkie
07-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Ive pulled out a 18 flatbottom with my rhino.
Specs:
Supercharged
Clutch upgrade
bigger tires
i race it at glamis

Tom Brown
07-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I've done quite a bit of towing with a Honda garden tractor. It's geared so low, I could tow the Queen Mary with it.
The only real problem is traction on inclines. Even with 200 lbs of winter weight on the back, sometimes I have to get someone to stand on the hitch to get it going. If the Rhino is four wheel drive, that would help a lot. I don't know if it would pull that big deck boat out of the water on a 15 degree grade, though.

Jordy
07-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Has anyone suggested a Jeep or a Samurai yet??? :D :D :D

Tom Brown
07-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Has anyone suggested a Jeep or a Samurai yet??? :D :D :D
I was about to suggest a Maxima.

Sherpa
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
stripped-down, tube frame sami........ Rock lobster 4 to 1 transfercase gear
set, 5.39's in the pigs....... detroited or arb front and rear.... here's the
ticket to weight issue though:
tractor-tire water inflation valves on all tires........ I'm pretty sure water is
available near lakes...... fill em up after unloading, then drain em out to load
back into the mho....
--Sherpa.......... do I get a ride in the trident now-? ......

BajaMike
07-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking a small garden tractor with a manual transmission, anything with pullies and friction clutches is just going to burn up....or maybe one of those little "tote" tractors they use at airports to pull around small planes and boats at marinas.... :idea:
http://p.airliners.net/photos/photos/9/7/6/0879679.jpg
Or maybe a jeep or samarai....j/d:D :cry:
:rollside:

skygod73
07-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Not trying to be a d!ck but what about the liability issue if something went wrong and someone else got hurt. Insurance would probably laugh when they found out what you were pulling the boat with. It sounds like you have alot to lose, might be something to think about.