PDA

View Full Version : Nicson timing chain cover

dsharp
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I am trying to get a boat running to sell for my stepson's estate. I have worked on boats for many years but, nothing of this type. The closest that I can tell the boat looks like some of the Sangers that I have seen at this site. It has a Casale v-drive with a 454 chevy- carburated. It looks like it has been run in saltwater since the water outlets on the timing chain cover are coming apart as well as the aluminum hose fittings. Is the nicson cover still available and if not will another brand still allow the use of the nicson waterpump. It drives off the front and is held on by 4 bolts. Also how much clearance is needed from the front of the prop and the strut. Now the front of the prop is tight against the back of the strut. Would it be possible to take a little off the strut to get some clearance or do I need to get a longer shaft made. The strut appears to be fabricated out of mild steel and is about 18" long. Are hose fittings available in stainless? One last question, the boat has dry headers other than small lines connected to a bung on the bottom of each pipe. Is this plumbed to a pressure line or does it hook to a thru-hull and only fed when the boat is moving. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anything about a dragboat.

GofastRacer
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Nicson is history but a Glenwood or one from Rex will work just fine!. If the prop is touching the strut just put a nickel in the shaft to space it out so it don't rub!.. Yes you can get stainless fittings, it's only money!.. You have water injected headers, to make them work right they are fed from the dump thru a spring loaded T valve to shut the water off when you back off the throttle to prevent reversion, but if you're just selling it just leave them dry and clean it up, let the new owner deal with it, odds are he would shit can the water anyhow and run them dry!..

DUECE'SDAD
07-06-2006, 05:33 AM
LEt us have a shot at it first. . . If your putting it in an estate sale, your gonna deal with alota a people that want something for nothin, so at least try to get some pics and some one can give you some advice/price range, or offer it with what you think you would want, thanks -

napabob
07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
The timing chain covers come up on ebay.
Below is a link to a set of Nicson engine mounts for a BBC.
this timing cover comes with stringer mounting legs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-DRIVE-DRAGBOAT-FRONT-REAR-COVERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ002QQi temZ120003970552QQrdZ1

Roaddogg 4040
07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Yeh, Just let us buy it for nothin!!! :) :) :)
Steve

dsharp
07-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the help. I may have that much clearance on the prop so I'll have to double check that. I'll have to figure out how to post some pictures when I got off work. A couple of my son's friends wanted the boat for sentimental reasons but he left a 6 year old daughter that I need to look out for. I don't think they ever put the boat in the water. They just sat in it under the house and dreamed while they were having a cold one. They are all in their mid 20's. How dangerous/fast are these boats with a big block? I don't want to see his friends get hurt- they also have wives and young children. Is it possible to hire someone to teach a person how to run a dragboat with some degree of safety? Thanks again for the help. If I can help as far as engine questions or velvet drives let me know. I still have some of the service manuals for the 71 and 72 c series. I got out of the bus. before the new style trans came out so I don't know anything about them.

469 the coyote
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a front cover that will work for you. It is a glennwood cover that is alum and has fins and chevrolet cast in it and it is for a water pump. $100 plus ship.
Thanks,Lester