PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem

GunninGopher
07-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I've had an interesting problem with this boat since I bought it. I can only get about 3 gallons or so out of the right tank, and about 8 or so out of the left. I finally confirmed all this last weekend, so I pulled the interior and unscrewed the elbows, expecting a small tube to come out the left tank, and none on the right. Neither had a tube connected, although my tanks have about a 1/2" diameter brass tube built in that goes to the bottom of the tank. Both tubes appear to be intact (I used a feeler to check their integrety).
Here are 2 photos of the elbows:
http://www.theolanders.net/files/PickupElbow1.jpg
http://www.theolanders.net/files/PickupElbow2.jpg
Looking at the elbows I would have thought there'd be something connected to them, but I doubt that there was, because I believe I would have felt it in the tube that is installed. So I guess that the pickup tubes are the solid brass 1/2" tubes that extend to the bottom of the tank.
Now I'm starting to think that the fuel pump is the culprit. The tank that will pull less fuel is further than the one that will drain about 1/2 way. The boat idles fine but starts to miss when it gets to the levels described above. Is it possible that the cheap ass electric fuel pump cannot drain the tanks all the way? It is able to keep up when the tanks are full, but maybe it can't handle pulling it when the levels lower.
It was my intention to replace the entire fuel system (except the tanks) when I bought the boat so I put a water seperator/fuel filter for each tank, rebuilt the carb and ran new lines, but I haven't changed the pump yet. I bought a Holley Red Marine fuel pump last month, but I didn't realize it had a return line, and I don't have a return bung on the tanks. I intend to send it back but I keep forgetting. What electric fuel pump would any of you recommend for my application? It is an enclosed engine boat.
I'm sure if anyone is still with me they'd rather I shut up, so I'll leave it at that for now.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Cas
07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
were the fittings tight without any air leaks? If there's a leak at the fitting air will enter the fuel line thus causing the pump to work improperly.
The fuel pump should also be mounted lower than tanks to make it easier for it to draw the fuel. How about the pick ups, are they free and clear and do they have a screen at the bottom? Sometimes those screens get clogged.
The other thing to check is the tank vents, make sure they are not plugged. Depending on the type of tank caps you have, the vents might be in the cap itself.
just some guesses....

GunninGopher
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks for replying, Cas.
The fuel pump is on a stringer entirely below the tanks. It is a really cheap one so I ordered a new one today.
The fittings 'seemed' to seal to the tank properly. I'm going to reinstall them without adding any internal pickup tubes inside the 1/2" tubes unless I get solid advice to do otherwise.
Right now I'm planning to reinstall the tank elbows, replace the last of the fuel line that I left from old and replace the fuel pump and then go on the next trip in a week. If that doesn't do it then I'll have to probably pull the tanks and have them checked out.

Konabud
07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
:idea: Before you pull the tanks you might try just reinstalling the ebows and siphoning through the elbows to a can(s) on the ground with your filler caps open. That should tell you if your pickups are intact. If they have holes in them or something you'll get the same old thing.