PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on performance?

RIZZO
07-06-2006, 04:32 AM
I have a 1989 Baja 220 sport with 454 / Bravo 1 / 1.5 ratio. I am running a 14 5/8 x 23p quick silver three blade. The prior owner told me the motor was new and built when I bought the boat, and that the prop was double cupped and balanced. I have had this boat for two years now, and the the boat runs awsome. I am wondering if there is anything other then lack of power that stops my the motor from turning past 5200 RPM. I run 5200 rpm and 69 mph in this boat everytime I go out. Dosn't matter one person or six people. The boat just stops reving at 5200. No bog , no miss. I let of the throttle and push back down and the baot jumps right to 5200 quick. Feels like someone is sticking a block of wood under gas pedal in a car would feel. I checked throttle linkage and it opens both bowls of carb fully. Boat has Thunderbolt four ignition. Also the distributor has what looks like vacume port , put nothing hooked up. Thought maybe it was running low on fuel because it does have a dual tank elctronic fuel switcher that is only 5/16 diam. The boat has holley 850 dual feed dual pump. The fuel pump is big holley mechanical performance pump. Just curious as to how much power motor is making. Is there a way to stop the motor from reving past 5200 as a fail safe, and if so I guess i'll just jump to 25 p prop. The original owner said it was his third motor in 7 years so I'm inclined to believe him about the motor being built up. I can see the carb the intake the fuel pump, the headers, and I verified the roller rockers. Just that 5200 seems kinda low for RPM's. Thanks for any input.