PDA

View Full Version : what would go first

john
07-06-2006, 08:22 PM
i adjusted the temp to 160 idle but when i get on it. goes down below 100 im running a bypass my oil is still milky but i trying to figure out if the temp is still to low . the left side valve cover is like foam the and all of the rockers have moisture on them. or it a blown intake gasket or head gasket witch would go first if that is the prob.thanks

john
07-06-2006, 08:28 PM
o yea and the dip stick is milky just a strip down

john
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
thats were the temp is now at 15psi looks like it might be time to change some gaskets :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

datdude
07-07-2006, 08:38 AM
If its an Oldsmobubble, I would definetly check the intake gasket first...if not, then to the compression test to see if its a head gasket.

john
07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
its a 454

disco_charger
07-07-2006, 05:33 PM
If both of the gaskets are good, it could be throught the head bolts too. Some sealants aren't as good as advertised, and if you're running good gaskets, the headbolt sealant could be the weak link. :mad:

Jordy
07-07-2006, 05:35 PM
I see O/T headers in the avatar pic. How are they plumbed??? What RPM is the water coming in??? Are they dry at idle??? How big is the cam you're running???
Let's start with the baby steps before we jump to head gaskets and bigger fish. ;)

john
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
headers run wet at idle. cam
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13266

sleekvino
07-08-2006, 05:16 AM
headers run wet at idle. cam
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13266
if you have water coming through at idle then i would say thats your problem ,do you have a bassett t-valve water should not be going through the headers untill 1500 rpm.try to fix that before you tear apart the motor.

skeeter
07-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Here is a great troubleshooting technique that I have used for years on jet skis and other motors for boats. If you have an air compressor, plug every hose that exits the motor with some kind of plug except for the hose that feeds the motor.
Come up with some kind of adapter with a shut off valve and pressure gauge that will allow you to connect the compressor to the motor.
The first thing to do before putting air into the water jackets of the motor is make sure you set the compressor regulator to around 35 psi so when you crack the valve (on your adapter) you don't put a 100 psi or more of air into the motor. Once you get the pressure set on the compressor, crack open the shut off valve and fill the motor with air. Once pressure has stabilized, close the valve on your adapter.
Get a spray bottle full of water and a small bit of dish washing soap and first thing you will probably find are some small leaks around the hose connections. Tighten the clamps or whatever you have to do to get these sealed. Once you get these taken care of, fill the motor again and shut the valve. If the pressure doesn't lose more than a few pounds over a half hour period then everything is probably alright.
If not then you need to start looking.
It sounds like alot of work but around 25 bucks to make the adapter and an hour or so of work will rule out an internal leak.
I pressure test everything I put together as water in the oil is not good.

speed freak
07-08-2006, 08:45 AM
The water in the headers at idle IS the cause. I had the same problem. Took my T-valve apart and found the spring was broken. Replaced the spirng and the problem was gone! :rollside:

Jordy
07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Jordy, this is a for real motor ->not an oil burnin eggbeater!
Yeah, but I still know a little bit about the car boat motas. I had the same milkshake problem with my jet and I tried the pressure regulator and temperature deals and it didn't go away until I added the Banderlog valve. To hell with all the t-valve and spring ball pressure crap. Put the Banderlog on and it never milkshaked again.
headers run wet at idle.
And Bingo was his name-o. ;)

john
07-08-2006, 09:59 AM
that was the prob but last night i pulled the heads because the first couple of times i took it out i did not regulate the water pressure and it was at 50 psi i thought i blow a head gasket. but i figured i would pull the heads it wont take but a couple of hours to take them off and replace its a lot cheaper then buying $90 in oil again if it happens to blow. i hope to find a regulater some time to day so i can run it again. and maybe nothing will go wrong =.every time i take it out something goes wrong first time push rod guide broke. second time took my boss out and a couple of workers to folsom and the bottom of the boat had a crack. pretty good leak but all thats fix o and i took my friend out the boat ran like a clock till i got the bright idea to take the valve cover off and this is the prob i have now. i think i like working on it more than driving. not :220v:

Heatseeker
07-08-2006, 01:36 PM
i think i like working on it more than driving. not :220v:\
You'll get used to it!
When they called it "Pleasure Boating", they were just joking!
:rollside: