PDA

View Full Version : F@#$ CAT INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

79 HUSTLER
03-19-2003, 04:25 PM
INSURANCE SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
THANKS, I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW.......

dcb carrera
03-19-2003, 08:56 PM
I know how you feel I can't find any ins. under 3,300 for Mach 26, paid 1800 last year. It does suck :mad: Carrera 202xr paying 384.00 I drink as much in that boat .What's the problem :confused:

XFactor
03-19-2003, 08:59 PM
DCB/Car,
Are you going to Havasu this weekend?

dcb carrera
03-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Glen, I don't think I can make it. We will have to make it another time. I will let you know. I can't use DCB until April because of messed up insurance :mad: I hope to make alot of Havasu trips this year. Talk to you soon. Bruce

79 HUSTLER
03-20-2003, 07:43 AM
If they offered me $3,300 a year, I would be soooo happy with that. I've had to take my blower motor comletely out of the picture just to get less then $6500. And I have never had an accident or a ticket. Since there is only a few company's that will even touch cat insurance I don't have much choices. Then to top that off most of them will not insure anyone under 25. So I have only found 1 company out of 19 that will but they want to pro-rate my premium till I BLEED!!!! Is there anyone who knows of anyone under 25 (like 22yrs) with a cat and if they got any insurance. Thanks for any help. 79HUSTLER.

Robbie Racer
03-20-2003, 01:13 PM
79 Hustler, I ran into the same experience when trying to find insurance for my Carrera 257 cat. I finally did find insurance with Buzz at PMA who listed it at 26' since it is closer to 26' than 25'.

79 HUSTLER
03-20-2003, 04:07 PM
RR, yeah I talked to Buzz at pma and the only company that he said they still write cat ins. for is INAMAR which does not write an Agreed Cash Value policy and there is now way I will put a new boat on anything but an Agreed Value. I just look at the good side, In a little over two years my Insurance may be the same as others, when I'm 25................ 79 Hustler

Robbie Racer
03-20-2003, 06:21 PM
PMA was using Jefferson as the underwriter when they wrote my policy last July. Since then, I think Jefferson has declined to write any more high perf. cat policys. I will have to start shopping again before July. Let me know what you find out. I don't think the owners age has much to do with the cost. I'm 52 with a perfect driving record and I was still only able to find 2 companies in the entire U.S. that would insure a 1000+ hp, 120 mph cat. Hopefully, more insurance companies will start insuring this type of boats so we can hopefully get a little competition to get the prices down to a reasonable level. Good luck, R/R

79 HUSTLER
03-20-2003, 07:14 PM
RR, unfortunatly it does have to do with my age. Farmers will still write cat insurance up to 75 mph but they have a strick guideline that requires the operator to be a minimum of 25years old to insure a cat. But a regular boat would not be a problem, they say. And the company MARKEL is the only one that they have found that will insure under 25 but it is pro-rated 150% per year on the premium. So since I am being pro-rated for my 2+ years under their limit I am paying 200% more than if I was twenty five. Which calculated to almost the same amount when I asked them to run the quote with my age at twenty five. So instead of $3,255 at 25yrs my quote for now is $6,390 which is just under 200%. Good luck with your Insurance and hopefully there will be more companys in the future. BTW-have you done anything to your b-max, upgrade etc, cause that is what I will be running as well. Good luck/79 Hustler

mbrown2
03-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Love my cat, but if my insurance was that high, or it continues to skyrocket; I will be selling the Mach and getting a fast V....It is not a matter of being able to afford, but the return on investment does not add up....The fun factor from a 120+ cat for 4-6K a year is not that different than the fun factor from a Howard 25 Bullett that will do 100, and the V would be under 1K a year....80% of my boating time is floating and cruising...
This Cat insurance is just senseless and there is no basis...my cat is more stable at 90 than my V at 60. :confused:

BADBLOWN572
03-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I know for a fact that age has a large part to do with the amount for insurance on a cat. I tried to get mine insured and the cheapest I found was $6900. That was for a replacement value of 50k and for minimum coverage. Actually one company laughed when I asked how much it would be for a 1k h.p. 25' Cat. They said that they would not insure any person under the age of 25 on a high performance cat. To remedy this problem I had to go out and get a business liscense. I was able to start a "boat service" company and any boat that I "test" will be insured for replacement value. My liability is somewhere around $1 million. I think in total my insurance payments are approx. 2200 a year. I would have to check but I think it is somewhere around there.
[ March 20, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: BADBLOWN572 ]

Robbie Racer
03-20-2003, 09:09 PM
I stand corrected. Wow, 200% more because of your age. That REALLY sucks.
Regarding B-max upgrades. I haven't really done anything yet. I did break a prop shaft last summer and they tell me that the newer prop shafts have been strengthened. I haven't had any further problems with prop shafts but I did thrash the lower gears late last summer after several 115-119 mph passes. I just ordered the new B-max lower unit with the integrated nose cone. I will install it the next time that I have a problem with the lower drive, then keep the original as a spare (after any damage is repaired). I'm planning on installing my original motor back in after a rebuild the first week of next month after the dyno session at Westech. We will be making some test runs out at Lake Elsinore that following weekend. I will be bringing the new lower end drive, just in case. :)

BADBLOWN572
03-21-2003, 06:12 AM
The guys at Westech are AWESOME! I can honestly say that they are the best I have ever seen. I had them tune my motor and it ran perfectly. As for the B-Max. I am on #3 right now. Both times I blew up the vertical shaft. Not at high speeds, but when I was comming on plane. Hopefully this one will hold up until I watch the boat go down the road. The motor you are talking about has the three carbs on it correct? I remember that motor very well. That is a very nice piece. Hope it runs right for you, but if Westech does the tuneup it will. Say hello to Steve and Rick for me over there.

Robbie Racer
03-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Dan, that is too bad about the vertical shafts breaking on you. That's weird that we both have pretty much the same boat, power and drive and yet we break different parts on the drive. You would think we would both break the weakest link (whatever that happens to be). Yes that 3 carb motor was my original 598" motor that I had the guy in Lake Havasu City build for me. It didn't last 20 hours before I started having valve train related problems. Then I lost oil pressure at 50 hours. I had Dave at DNE Motorsports tear it apart and he found a spun bearing, cracked crank and scored cylinder wall from the original bore job, etc. I really got hosed on that one. Anyway, DNE wasn't able to get it rebuilt in time for last season, so I bought a rebuilt 580" motor from Larry Peto. It has run great for all of last season but now the original (now 621") is about ready to go on the dyno. Hopefully it will make more power and be a lot more reliable than it was the first time. We put a billet crank and all Jessel valve train stuff in it this time. I will say hi to the guys at Westech for you. I used to race with Steve when we both drag raced Pro Gas Jets. He is a great guy. Good luck with the boat sale. I will keep my ears open for you. Keith

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2003, 08:13 PM
If you hear of anyone looking to purchase a cat send them my way. Let me know how the boat runs with your motor. I had to say that motor was a work of art. Hopefully this time it will work the say that you want.

Skullinator
03-23-2003, 10:19 PM
I've posted this before but you can get Fast Cat insurance from Markel Directly At www.Wave-line.com (http://www.Wave-line.com) or call 1800-236-Wave. This way you cut the broker out of his commision and price hike.

dcb carrera
03-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Just got ins. today $3489.00 with 5 months layup. Not bad considering I'm either idling or parked 90% of the time :mad:

79 HUSTLER
03-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Just got mine finallized today-$5,855 per year with 2 month (29ft cat/480 hp wink ) layup on agreed value! Markel was the only company that would touch me being 22. And already have to pay and will not even have my boat for at least 2 more months....Oh well!!!!79 HUSTLER

boatnam2
03-26-2003, 08:18 AM
man thats terrible,im paying 880.00 on a 2750lavey 620hp 105k agreed value.

Reaper1
03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
79Hustler, that price seriously blows. I hoped they used Vaseline. cry Do you have a bad driving record? You could purcahse a complete jet boat for the price of your insurance. boxed

79 HUSTLER
03-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Reaper, If I was just happy with my jet I would be a millionaire!!! Insurance on my jet with my blown 1150hp motor is only 900 a year with agreed value at 25,000. And I have a perfect record, never any tickets or accidents. I guess I would not be so mad if they would have used some kind of lube eek! !!!
[ March 26, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: 79 HUSTLER ]

Reaper1
03-26-2003, 02:15 PM
I hear ya. We always want more more more. smile_sp