PDA

View Full Version : Olds 455 jetboat

73WriedtCustom
07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Hello.
I installed a rebuilt Berkeley 12jc pump. Hooked up the garden hose water-line's to the jet and the engine. Set the inlet valve to show about 10 psi on my intake manifold water pressure gauge. Once I got to about operating temperature, the intake manifold water pressure gauge dropped to zero.
So, i shut the system down and found water in the number 2 cylinder. (But not in the crankcase oil.) I've pulled the head, purchased new marine gaskets, and part's for my thermostatic bypass housing.
I did notice when I pulled the head, that it didn't seem to take the 85-90 something foot lbs. of torque to remove it. Also, the plastic (?) valve in the thermostat housing seemed stuck in the up position.
Anyone got any tips for me before I start cleaning things up and retorquing? (I'm thinking of replacing cylinder head bolts, and having the head(s) checked for warpage.)
:idea:
Mark

Floored
07-09-2006, 04:49 AM
What kind of intake gasket are you using? #2 is next to the water port. You run a thermostat? Do you have a pic of that plastic part? With Bassetts or water logs there is no piece in the thermostat housing, just water flow control for setting temp. How old is the engine?

73WriedtCustom
07-09-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure what kind of intake gasket was being used. The new one I have is #655404 (Hardin marine).
The thermostat is a 160 degree. I tried boiling it with a thermometer, and it didn't seem to start opening untill about 185 or so. I purchased a new model. (160 F.).
The plastic part can be viewed here http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=691
The engine had a rebuild about 3 years ago I believe. It does use the thru transom exhaust setup with the cooling water entering the logs for preheat.
Mark

FASTRAT
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I installed a rebuilt Berkeley 12jc pump. Hooked up the garden hose water-line's to the jet and the engine. Anyone got any tips for me before I start
my "big" tip for u is...DON"T under any circumstances run the motor with the jet hooked up!!!!...dis-connect the PTO or u will be buying another pump!
fastrat

73WriedtCustom
07-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Thank you very much. Too bad I don't have a test-tank available.
Guess I'm gonna have to get down to the launch early and do some tuning.
(Good thing it's only 3 miles from my driveway.) :)

SmokinLowriderSS
07-09-2006, 02:32 PM
my "big" tip for u is...DON"T under any circumstances run the motor with the jet hooked up!!!!...dis-connect the PTO or u will be buying another pump!
fastrat
Well, you'll only damage the impeller to wear ring clearance, which is only critical to keeping the high-pressure water behind the impeller from leaking to the front, and causing lots of cavitation problems. :cry:
you may not buy a whole new pump, but you'll either rebuild it again, or pay to have it done.