PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust modification?????

frdvschvy
01-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I have a Lavey Craft XCS that currently has through hull exhaust that exits below the water line. When the exhaust tips are out of the water, for example still on the trailer with water pickup in the water, the thing sounds awesome. As soon as the boat is floating, and the tips are under the water, it is quieter than a 10 HP Evenrude outboard. I know there are noise restrictions, but I would love to have the exhaust exit above the water line when the boat is at idle. I love hearing that rumble!
Does anybody have any suggestions? Perhaps a switchable system where I could switch from the current below water tips when the fuzz is around, to perhaps a side exit system above the water line? Any suggestions or creative ideas would ge greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

essexjet
01-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I have a Lavey Craft XCS that currently has through hull exhaust that exits below the water line. When the exhaust tips are out of the water, for example still on the trailer with water pickup in the water, the thing sounds awesome. As soon as the boat is floating, and the tips are under the water, it is quieter than a 10 HP Evenrude outboard. I know there are noise restrictions, but I would love to have the exhaust exit above the water line when the boat is at idle. I love hearing that rumble!
Does anybody have any suggestions? Perhaps a switchable system where I could switch from the current below water tips when the fuzz is around, to perhaps a side exit system above the water line? Any suggestions or creative ideas would ge greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I dont think that they sell the "switchable" systems anymore.
If I were you I would just leave it along, because if you move it above the water line you still need to add mufflers.

cc322
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
IMO I would leave it alone, mine is the same way 24 Lavey thru transom and right at the water line, nice tone while at idle but sounds great when I am on plane. With the noise restrictions and mufflers now being standard on all new boats, I dont think it would be worth the hassle.

KLEPTOW
01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Mercury marine and a number of vendors like Eddie marine sells the switchable valves your thinking of.
The side exit tips can be purchased from i think it's Crossa marine exhaust.

essexjet
01-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Mercury marine and a number of vendors like Eddie marine sells the switchable valves your thinking of.
The side exit tips can be purchased from i think it's Crossa marine exhaust.
Yes but if you read the law it states "Mufflers installed and in constant operation."
So I think they can get you for having the switchable mufflers.
I'm not the expert so I would ask someone in LE.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49079

KLEPTOW
01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes but if you read the law it states "Mufflers installed and in constant operation."
So I think they can get you for having the switchable mufflers.
I'm not the expert so I would ask someone in LE.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49079
I'm no expert either , but if it had not been for the Havasu Marina issues there would have been very few mufflers installed last year on any boat.
I wonder how many manufactures are actually installing them now.
I know mine didn't have any.

KLEPTOW
01-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Mine did. Bought it last July. They told me it was state law that they be installed.
Mine was delivered in Havi so maybe that's why.