PDA

View Full Version : Who Buys Their Boat with the Idea Ya Have to Sell it One Day?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-09-2006, 09:17 AM
My parents were big Porsche and BMW fans.
This was in the days before half the trade rags were Porsches being unloaded.
For family vehicles, that is kid haulers,, it was always Mercurys because dad was a Ford fan, and said Merc's had a higher resale over the blue oval.
Boats were Chris Crafts and Sea Rays,, always easy to sell used.
What's your take, do take into consideration & buy your boat with the idea ya have to sell it one day?

riverroyal
07-09-2006, 09:22 AM
magic deck boat knowing I would sell it in 3 to 5 years.Thats just how we are,I will want something else.It was a fair price for that size boat,and there are alot of them.Its also the reason Id never buy something like American Offshore or even a HTM,the boats are fine,just soft resale for havasu area.I would love to own a DODGE cummings diesel,but the resale is bad,I always look at resale first,even with my house,,,,theres my thoughts :rollside:

DeeCandyBar
07-09-2006, 09:24 AM
if you buy wiht resale in mind then you would want to be conservative with the gelcoat

riverroyal
07-09-2006, 09:30 AM
if you buy wiht resale in mind then you would want to be conservative with the gelcoat
ive seen some graphics that will never sell,gotta stay somewhat traditional and simple

JB in so cal
07-09-2006, 09:32 AM
ive seen some graphics that will never sell,gotta stay somewhat traditional and simple
checkers, teal, pink, a nice skull and cross bones, perhaps?

riverroyal
07-09-2006, 09:33 AM
maybe some jetfighters,how about a horse,,,,

JB in so cal
07-09-2006, 09:34 AM
maybe some jetfighters,how about a horse,,,,
pirates? cartoon figures?

Trailer Park Casanova
07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
If I had a lot of bux in a boat,, I think I'd go white with wild vinyl graphics.
That way, you can change it.
Nothing looks more dated and adds years to a boat than Pink and Turquoise.
I remember when it looked right smart, still a very common combo at the sandbar if ya look around.

riverroyal
07-09-2006, 09:42 AM
even a white boat changes color over time,after you peel them off,you would still see them

JB in so cal
07-09-2006, 09:42 AM
If I had a lot of bux in a boat,, I think I'd go white with wild vinyl graphics.
That way, you can change it.
Nothing looks more dated and adds years to a boat than Pink and Turquoise.
I remember when it looked right smart, still a very common combo at the sandbar if ya look around.
TPC,
what's the bottom right pic in your siggy?

riverroyal
07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
TPC,
what's the bottom right pic in your siggy?
magnifing glass out

HocusPocus
07-09-2006, 09:46 AM
anytime i buy something, i always consider what it may sell for in a few years. thats one of the reasons i have a hard time buying a new boat. if you find the right deal on a used one, you can usually come out ok when you decide to sell it. that is as long as you don't go crazy with wanting to repower it or change too much stuff. about the only things i change on the used boats i buy are the cosmetic flaws, safety problems and operation problems, in other words if its not broke i wont fix it. if you play your cards right you can even come out ahead. :)

bilgewiper
07-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I'v owned 18+ boats (and 5 PWC) in the last 25 years. I have had a easy time selling all of them by just paying 1/2 attention to the market when I bought them. Bought most used and sold at a profit......except for the PWCs. I am knowingly bucking that trend now with my smoking 2 stroke Laveycraft bowrider but just figure the fun/practicle factors will outweigh the problems I'll have selling or giving it away.

JetBoatRich
07-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I figure around every 5 years time to sell and find a new toy to sink money in :rolleyes:

2Driver
07-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I always do. Geez I've been known to write the ad in my head for my new boat while I am bringing it home

H20 Toie
07-09-2006, 03:50 PM
When i bought the Cig i didn't know if i would like it since i was going from a 20' to the 35' so i had a pretty good idea that i could make some good money reselling it. I could still probably still sell it and make money but i can't think of what i would replace it with, so i will lose money when i do sell it but the fun i have had with it has been worth every penny.

VEGASBABY
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
everything is bought with the idea of selling it! Who wants a 28 ft NORDIC HEAT? :cool:

CBadDad
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Absolutely!
I always shop for the best deal I can find and although I usually buy something that I want to keep forever, I can usually sell it and do alright.