PDA

View Full Version : Old Rigger, or anyone, I need advice

Mustang Shorty
07-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I didn't like the way my floor was flexing so I pulled the carpet and foung a piece of plywood screwed down. I pulled it out and found the center stringer was rotted out. The outer stringers appear ok but I will probably replace them also.
I also would like to pop the top off to do some glass work. It seems it would be easier to work on the floor without the deck on. Any advice in how to proceed would be invaluable.
Thanks, ALan
ps 18' Kona

Cas
07-09-2006, 11:32 AM
here's a couple of threads about what your asking
floor repairs (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92943&highlight=floor+support)
more on the floor (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=116438&highlight=floor+support)

Mustang Shorty
07-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I tried a search but did not see those threads.
One question I can't find the answer to, is how hard is it to take the deck off and would it be better to do the floor first because of structural issues.
Thanks, Alan

SmokinLowriderSS
07-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Depends on how the deck is attatched. My Taylor is overlapped, and rivited every 2". If the deck is butt-jointed, you'll be cutting and re-doing glass & gel.

Mustang Shorty
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
It is overlapped and screwed and about 1/3 of the screws are missing. That is why I want to pull it is to get it done right.
Alan

DelawareDave
07-09-2006, 03:03 PM
You are lucky. The shoebox joint you have is much easier when you want to separate the deck and hull. I have replaced the stringers and floor in mine. I am still in the process of more work to it. I have a bunch of pics posted. If you haven't already seen the thread, here is a link:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104265

Mustang Shorty
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
A little scary seeing what I am in for but thanks for the link. I have it bookmarked for easy reference.
In fact I just got in from unsrewing my deck. About a dozen were drywall screws, half of which stripped the heads.
Thanks again, Alan

DelawareDave
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
When you put it back together, drill new holes and use #10 machine screws and nylock nuts. Put some 3M 5200 between the deck and hull joint before you tighten up the bolts.

Nucking futs
07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt take the deck off to do the floor and stringers. It will not be straight when you go to put it back together. Awefull lot of work just to do a floor and stringers,but if you like work, have at it and good luck.

atxwrangler
07-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I wouldnt take the deck off to do the floor and stringers. It will not be straight when you go to put it back together. Awefull lot of work just to do a floor and stringers,but if you like work, have at it and good luck.
i agree, at least let a pro do it~!

Mustang Shorty
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
If it was just the floor and stringer I wouldn't pull it either, but it is not straight now and on investigation I found some damage along the side that was filled with putty and painted instead of reglassed.
I know I can do a better job than the last guy and a tough task just makes me that much more determined. Besides I'm single, no kids, don't drink or do drugs. Basically I have no life but work and projects, Both of which I find satisfying.
Alan

bighead
07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Would it be a good idea to make sure the hull is evenly supported and square before replacing the stringers?? If you did it on the trailer and the trailer bunks were crooked or the boat sat off kilter would that be a problem too??? Just thinking with my fingers here.

Mustang Shorty
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I have access to some instruments from work that will allow me to check all possibilties before I start. I had planned to set the trailer up on screw Style jackstands and then shoot all points with a laser, once I have it dialed in then I would start. Also before I started glassing anything I would double check all points and then proceed.
Once I post some pictures of the stuff I am finding, you will understand why I want to do this.
Just an example, to secure the bilge pump they drilled through the hull and put a stove bolt up from the bottom.

shaun
07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Holy crap we have 2 guys now taking the tops off there boats!!! Make sure you take lots of pics!! I love watching the progress on these types of projects!

Nucking futs
07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
If it was just the floor and stringer I wouldn't pull it either, but it is not straight now and on investigation I found some damage along the side that was filled with putty and painted instead of reglassed.
I know I can do a better job than the last guy and a tough task just makes me that much more determined. Besides I'm single, no kids, don't drink or do drugs. Basically I have no life but work and projects, Both of which I find satisfying.
Alan
Like I said, just my opinion and Ive done boat repairs for years and I would never seperate one the 2 halfs that were mated together.I would leave them together and fix what needs to be fixed that way. If you can see the damage that needs to be fixed and its not seperated now, then I would just fix it that way. I don't care how many "TOOLS" you have, it still wont be straight after sitting on a trailer for years. I would do the floor and stringers with the deck still attached and if you feel the need to take the deck off, do it after your new glass work is completed and cured. Again, just my opinion.
PS. if you dont drink or do drugs.....you will by the time you get done with this task......... :)

Mustang Shorty
07-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Like I said, just my opinion and Ive done boat repairs for years and I would never seperate one the 2 halfs that were mated together.I would leave them together and fix what needs to be fixed that way. If you can see the damage that needs to be fixed and its not seperated now, then I would just fix it that way. I don't care how many "TOOLS" you have, it still wont be straight after sitting on a trailer for years. I would do the floor and stringers with the deck still attached and if you feel the need to take the deck off, do it after your new glass work is completed and cured. Again, just my opinion.
PS. if you dont drink or do drugs.....you will by the time you get done with this task......... :)
Nucking Futs, This is the input I have been looking for. There is work that I feel would be easier with the deck off but I have not seperated the halves yet and can easily resecure the deck until after I finish the floor.
I have built and done frameups on quite a few bikes and uderstand that you cannot put metal (ie tanks and fenders) under stress to make them look right without them cracking down the road. I would imagine you would approach glass work the same. It's all in the prep work.
All input is more than welcome especially things learned from personal experiences.
Alan