PDA

View Full Version : Finally !! It's Done

Charley
04-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Well..... She is finished...Dave, Chad and Darren water tested this morning and sent me these pictures today..... As you guys know I've been asking about porpoise, and I had my reasons .... This is a brand new model for DCB and the bottom not only wasn't splashed it wasn't even truly based on another model....so I was a little nervous about new bottom hicupps....Well check this out..... according to Dave ...NO PORPOISE...anywhere ... it was tested in Mission bay but the water was flat-glassy and No wind, which is when a Cat will porpoise the most.... Thank god! :D ok ok I know i'm gonna get asked anyway so ...you guys want the #'s huh?... wink 3 people in the boat (full set of tools) 2 x 3/4 tanks ... 123 gps spinning 34's @5600.....Purrs like a kitten around the docks(just like Larry Peto promised, THANKS LARRY).....nice and quiet with those exhaust tips.... I'm pretty happy... Dave thinks 128- 130 is attainable with 36's but who knows??? I'm happy...I just got my boat....she turned out just like I wanted and by all accounts she runs smooth...I'm in lust... Thank you Dave and all your boys for helping me ride out this Hardship and being the most Stand-up manufacturer I know of... you are the KING of service! oh and you make a nice boat TOO >hehe
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29A-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29G-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29F-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29C-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29D-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38F29E-med.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
04-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Sandbagger!

jm2drvr
04-08-2003, 03:39 PM
a big smile is on my face charley, I can only imagine how big your smile is...congrats bud, I am so happy for you and Jen!!!!!!! :D :D

DogHouse
04-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Charley, that is awesome! Congrats, that's a very nice combo you have there!
-brian

TOBTEK
04-08-2003, 03:48 PM
very cool, congrats Charley!!!!!!!! so off to the river this weekend. Perfect timing as well, weather just now getting nice and warm. you know that sucked for JM2 and myself getting new rides in DEC and freezing our asses off. I do have to take my hat off to you....that paint scheme kicks wink so at 120+ mph....scary?

Phat_Kat
04-08-2003, 03:54 PM
my face literally hurts I'm grinnning so big. :D That is the most badass thing on gods earth man congrats into the next century.

WetWillie
04-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Charley,
Your boat looks amazing!!!!!
Congrats... I cant wait to see it run in some of the local poker runs! I am sure you will give the big boys a run for there money! That is of course if your wife is driving! jawdrop hehe :D
Looks awsome!
WW :D
[ April 08, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: WetWillie ]

Robbie Racer
04-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Beautiful boat Charlie. Also great performance numbers. Congratulations!!!! Let us know if you can confirm the no porpoise issue on flat lake water when you get the chance. That is an awesome bottom design if there is truly no porpoise on smooth water at any speed. R/R

Skullinator
04-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Charley congrats happy to see you finaly got what you wanted just can't figure out how you wait that long and not kill your self over the stress. Boat looks awesome. see you in Havasu soon jawdrop :) :) :) :) :) i give it 5 smiles and one jawdrop.

Tom Slick
04-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Charley,
Congratulations on the new ride. You've got to be very proud of your new piece and hats off to the boyz at DCB for that kind of MPH right out of the box.
Just curious, what gear ratio are you guys running in that thing?

Donnie
04-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Congrats Charley...That is one nasty boat :D
Can't wait to see it in person!!

Sandbar Junkies
04-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Very nice Charley. (CARL) came out beautiful so when is it going to be in your hands and where does the line start for rides. Charley just remember it's not a toy it's just something you DESERVE. Something good always comes out of something bad. Congrats again nice boat.

Phat_Kat
04-08-2003, 08:30 PM
is it just me or did the building of the boat generate more attention than the finished product???

woodster
04-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Wow Charlie that is one awesome looking ride! Did u say they did 123mph on mission bay???? Damn those guys have some balls eek! . That place is small and usually crowded. Congrats

Ivan Dan
04-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Charlie~ Your boat is sick looking! I'm so jealous. Can't wait to see you out in LHC doing some high speed passes.

Ivan Dan
04-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Charlie~ Your boat is sick looking! I'm so jealous. Can't wait to see you out in LHC doing some high speed passes.

Charley
04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys...yep 123 was the number Dave gave me on the phone... 1.25 gears spinning 34" labs @ 5600.... Dave was REALLY excited when I called him.... he talked to me for like 10 minutes then rushed me off cause he wanted to drive it more...lol....he even said that he is gonna build a 29 for his personal boat.... can't deny that made me feel even better....I can't wait for the weekend! :D :D
by the way... thanks to all of you guys too...I know that I have been kinda "punchy" argue at times...kinda moody over the last 4 months or so but I really do appreciate your guys support through the whole deal ..Thanks

HBjet
04-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Charley:
he even said that he is gonna build a 29 for his personal boatWell, now that he has seen what he did wrong, I would expect him too as well :D
Just messing with ya! 123 huh? Hmm, seem a little slow... :D
Ok, being serious now.... So, did they say how it got on plane? Or anything else like the turns, etc.?
Looks bitchin Charley!
HBjet

Steamin' Rice
04-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Congrats Charley....I know you were a little nervous being #2 out of the mold, but it sounds like all is good with the boat....
The bonus is that the cherry has already been popped since they dropped it in the salt for you....Now you have no excuse not to make a yardhouse run or two....Let me know when you're ready to go.... :D :D burningm :D

Charley
04-08-2003, 10:45 PM
HBjet:
Charley:
he even said that he is gonna build a 29 for his personal boatWell, now that he has seen what he did wrong, I would expect him too as well :D
Just messing with ya! 123 huh? Hmm, seem a little slow... :D
Ok, being serious now.... So, did they say how it got on plane? Or anything else like the turns, etc.?
Looks bitchin Charley!
HBjet Dave said it handled,Turned well... alot like a Heavier Mach26 would act

Charley
04-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Steamin' Rice:
Congrats Charley....I know you were a little nervous being #2 out of the mold, but it sounds like all is good with the boat....
The bonus is that the cherry has already been popped since they dropped it in the salt for you....Now you have no excuse not to make a yardhouse run or two....Let me know when you're ready to go.... :D :D burningm :D Thanks Greg ... don't worry I will be hitting the yardhouse....I could put your order in for you but I'd be afraid it would be cold by the time you got there ..... JUS KIDDING
:D :D :D

THOR
04-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but what motors are you running again?

Boatmaster
04-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Charley that boat turned out bitchin!! Are you going to run it in the Heat Wave Poker run at the end of April when Dave is down there? I would love to see it in person.

HavasuDreamin'
04-09-2003, 06:41 AM
Congrats Charley. That boat is truly incredible. I have to be honest though, it hurts to see a truly custom boat with so much polished aluminum and custom parts sitting in SALT water. Good Luck and enjoy your new.........bad toy! boxed

Reaper1
04-09-2003, 06:59 AM
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/jump.gif
Yes Sir, I like it. I like it a lot!

PlayTime
04-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Congrats man very nice looking boat :D

Steamin' Rice
04-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Charley:
.....I could put your order in for you but I'd be afraid it would be cold by the time you got there ..... JUS KIDDING
:D :D :D :mad: :mad: :mad:
I'll get you for that one Mr Guest....... :D
Oh yeah, we're planning an overnight trip to Avalon, everybody is going to anchor in the harbor and sleep on their boats if you're interested....I guess you could set up a tent on the deck of your boat if you want to join us..... :D
[ April 09, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

roln 20s
04-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Congrats Charley and Jen,
I'm super happy for you. Can't express my excitement for you and the fam. The long aggervating wait is OVER. Hope to see you at Havasu this summer. Enjoy.
Roln 20s

Charley
04-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Steamin' Rice:
Originally posted by Charley:
.....I could put your order in for you but I'd be afraid it would be cold by the time you got there ..... JUS KIDDING
:D :D :D :( :( Oh yeah, we're planning an overnight trip to Avalon, were in a V and they don't allow late check in at the hotel in Avalon so we need to sleep on the boatLike my translation?? hehehe sorry I'm just giddy lol

XLGPP
04-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Charlie that brought a tear to my eye... I remember that much anticipated wait, BUT now its YIIIIIIIIIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
congrats... oh and btw, I want a ride wink

Charley
04-09-2003, 07:31 AM
[b] Steamin' Rice: :( ( Oh yeah, we're planning an overnight trip to Avalon, were in a V and they don't allow late check in at the hotel in Avalon so we need to sleep on the boatLike my -CAT-translation?? hehehe sorry I'm just giddy lol [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sandbar Mike
04-09-2003, 08:53 AM
123 jawdrop right Fu%#ing on bro, Congrats Charlie, I hope I can see that bad boy in Havasu next week.

mbrown2
04-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Boat looks like it turned out great, and those mild Peto Motors will make it a joy to cruise and idle around docks. Great job and good luck with her.

25Elmn8r
04-09-2003, 09:35 AM
That thing turned out sweet. :D :D :D Can't wait to see it run!!!

spectras only
04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Charley ,your boat turned out very nice as it was expected :) .Now it's time to show it around ,maybe at the upcoming Kelowna pokerrun :D .It would make Wayne McLain green with envy [his single engined 26 Daytona does 117 only wink ,hehe.

kab
04-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Awesome boat Charley. Maybe when my Mach 22 grows up :rolleyes: I saw it a few times down at daves shop. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

SVO 540
04-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Charley,
Your Mach 29 is so cool. I am so stocked for you and Jen. I am glad I took you for a ride in my boat because now you have to return the favor. I can't wait for a ride.
I really like the way you put the thing together. You have the best of all worlds. Smooth reliable motors with blistering speeds, and a bitchen boat that will handle any water condition....River and Ocean.
You The Man!!!!!!!!!!

BoatFloating
04-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Charley, the long wait is over and finally the baby has arrived, you and Jen must be smiling ear to ear, the only bad thing is some else is driving your baby. Get it home and put a nice warm blanket on her and tell her a bed time story as you sit in it and drink a cold one.
Now to the most important questions. Forget about speed, porpoise, handling and what not, how did the stereo sound and how many coolers does it have. Enquiring minds what to know the real truth. wink Once again you earned it and deserved it, now pay for it. Do you mind if we take my dog on first ride? he is only a 130 pound Lab, but he has short nails...... :p
[ April 09, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: BoatFloating ]

Tom Slick
04-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey Charlie,
What's going on with those motors? H.P., C.U., compression ratio, etc. What the heck are they? How long to plane and how long to a buck 23? What drives are on it and do they have nose cones? I still think the mufflers should go :D
Will you have it out at the Havasu Poker run later this month? Can't wait to see it! I'll flag you down when I see ya and give you a cold frosty beer while I check it out :D You're stoked dude and the rest of us are jealous and trying to figure out how we can get one too!

roln 20s
04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Did yours hit the water before the custom painted single engine 29? Or do they have numbers from that one too? Congrats again. Don't think you could have done any better.
Roln 20s

rivernutts
04-09-2003, 05:14 PM
That thing is a beauty!!! So when is the test ride for all your hot boat buddies, You do have room don't ya? :D

andy01
04-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Man ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man! That boat turned out great! (For blue:D) I know of Course it did, it's a DCB. Charley congrats bud! Hope you guys have a good first weekend in it. We will be in Parker this weekend, but I don't think we will make it up to Havasu this weekend. Besides I don't want you parking next to me and making me look bad............ "Mr.Big". Looks great bud!
Andy

WetWillie
04-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Pleae keep us posted on how it runs!

Windy
04-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Congrats Charley....she came out purrrdy!
MissHBjet

midmagic
04-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Charley, you have, in fact, one hell of a bitchen' boat. I'm sure you will take care of this one just like you did the last one. Tell you what, I'll give you a ride in my Cobra 427 S/C for a ride in your new Mach29! Is it a deal? Congrats!!!!!!!!! wink

Craig
04-11-2003, 05:54 AM
Congrats Charlie, can't wait to see it. Bills offer would be a good trade :D However, that would assume Bill would actually GO TO THE LAKE Come on man, get back into boating instead of watching other people :)
[ April 11, 2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

CMABadseed
04-11-2003, 09:09 AM
i'm gonna go ahead and sound like everyone else here....she came out damn fine. congrats.
all in favor...give the govenor a herumph! :D :D

Craig
04-11-2003, 10:00 AM
herumph :D

midmagic
04-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Listen to you! At least my boat runs. (I think)I'll go if Charley goes! Uh, which lake are you referring to? Donnie, stay out of this. :confused:

Craig
04-11-2003, 12:31 PM
That is the only reason I'm not on the lake, lack of boat! It's not a matter of me not wanting to hang out with my buds and some women in bikinis :D , now in your case.......since you have a running boat why aren't you on the lake with us?

midmagic
04-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Well...it's not because I have a running car, is it?

Donnie
04-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Hey MONKEEEY boy eek!
These are your choices...go hang out at the track with a bunch of dudes :rolleyes:
Or go to the like and see some CANS :D
Yes your boat does run :p

Craig
04-11-2003, 02:34 PM
midmagic:
Well...it's not because I have a running car, is it? You have a bunch of running cars. What's that have to do with taking a day and going to the lake? My ultimate goal is to one day race on Friday nights or Saturday days and hit the lake on Sunday! Heaven :D Multible interests, multible fun!

jdnichols
04-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Charlie, she is so sweet, I know you and Jen will be non stop on the water. See you soon, will have camera ready:)
The Warlock's new engine is coming together finally!! :D

WetWillie
04-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Charley,
I think your back! Can you give us an update?
How did she run? how did she Turn? What numbers did she or he run?
Pictures?
Help me out here!
[ April 14, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: WetWillie ]

Charley
04-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Well..... we had a problem with the port motor about 3 hours after the launch.... I did get some seat time and this is what I will say...
AMAZING
It's just BITCHEN..... motors are quiet....have good power..... The boat was easier to drive than I thought ( I still have a lot of Dock time to get in to be totally comfy) and in some ways easier than my 26.... The boat has a much Flatter stance than my 26...rides/drives very level.....It turns very well at 40+ (basically it needs to be on plane and packing a lil air just like most cats) at 50-60 it starts turning even better ...leaning into all turns.... and over 60 it is an Animal wink good power 60-100+ .... when I ordered it the canopies were a concern for me , 10 minutes into my first Run I popped my head up over the canopy at 70mph and I realized something...canopies Rock! I might be getting old but It's just so damn comfortable ....it's deceiving we were cruising at 80mph, 3500 RPM's and it just didn't feel like 80 mph!!!
so here is what happend went from needles to the sand bar, back to needles back through the sand bar down to the channel and she died about a mile downriver of copper canyon....got Larry on the phone and we narrowed it back to a timing issue...Jen and I had met Zsargo(les) earlier that day as he was breaking in his stunning 22mach with the 300 promax...and thankfully he pulled up in our time of need! he "Raced" Jen back to Park Moabi to get the trailer (THANK YOU VERY MUCH LES!!!... I wish you had taken the $$ gas ain't cheap, but thanks again)as I limped back into Havasu marina.....we trailered her and I bolted to tucson early the next AM......well.... MSD and their POS distributor gear was the problem....same thing that happend on my LAST "Teague" motor....anyone else having distributor gear issues??? Larry and Wade worked all day Saturday and 1/2 day sunday yanking the port motor and replacing the Cam and distributor gear.... The cam had very minor wear from the distributor gear failure but Larry decided to fix it right and replace both...all under warranty....HUGE thanks to Larry and Wade for giving up the weekend and not bandaging her back together...shes fixed right!....I am trying a new polymer distributor gear from Comp to see if they work better than the crap MSD is serving.... I drove back from Tucson mid day sunday and launched her back in 5pm-ish....River was pretty empty so after an hour of feeling her out again I got into her a couple times...and got 116 out of her twice....I didn't trim her all the way out yet.... and I will probably get a few more hours in her till I shoot for the 120 number.....I love this boat.....this is just an opinion but It's a BAD ASS ride.....oh ya... No porpoise anywhere...if it's in there I couldn't find it....I can't wait to get back out on the water... Dave has her going to the hot boat trials wed with sandbar Mike's boat... I hope we both get a good review!! :D

WetWillie
04-15-2003, 12:15 PM
I got a BIG smile on my face reading about it!
I cant wait to read the reviews!
Congrats :p
WW

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Congrats, Charley!
What kind of gear? Billet cam? No worries on my MSD/Crane setup....
Sounds like you like the boat?

Jrocket
04-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Charley it sounds as if your really pumped up about the boat!!Its good to see everything came out right for you,especially after the whole boat theft thing!!! :)

FASTERDAMITT
04-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a cast gear on a billet cam.

SVO 540
04-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Charlie,
I have been checking these boards every day looking for the update on your boat. So thanks for the update. Your boat is awesome.
I had a similar distributor problem in my last boat. I kept sheering the pin that holds the distributor gear to the shaft of the distributor. I fixed the problem by putting in a bronze pin. However, that was only a band aid fix. The pin wasn't the root of the problem.
The problem I was having and I think this is the same problem you experienced is that there was too much load on the gear. This caused your gear to fail and my pin to sheer. The question is why is there too much load on the gear? The answer is your oil pump. Your oil pump is driven off of the bottom hex of the distributor shaft. All the load on your distributor gear is from your oil pump. You are probably running a heavy weight oil which will increase the load on the gear. If you were to remove your oil pump, there would be no load on the distributor gear at all. It would only need to spin the roter in the cap. How much load would that take. There would be virtualy no load on your disrtibutor gear at all. Well you need your oil pump, so the answer was to install an external oil pump that is driven off of the front of the cam shaft. This is what I did. No more problems. No more load on the distributor gear. The cool thing about external oil pumps is you can adjust the oil pressure in about 60 seconds. Check out the picture in the signature of MBROWN2. He has a picture of a motor and you can see the external oil pump bolted to the from of the timing chain cover. Hope this helps. Good luck.
SVO 540 - OUT

ZSARGO
04-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Charley:
Well..... we had a problem with the port motor about 3 hours after the launch.... I did get some seat time and this is what I will say...
AMAZING
It's just BITCHEN..... motors are quiet....have good power..... The boat was easier to drive than I thought ( I still have a lot of Dock time to get in to be totally comfy) and in some ways easier than my 26.... The boat has a much Flatter stance than my 26...rides/drives very level.....It turns very well at 40+ (basically it needs to be on plane and packing a lil air just like most cats) at 50-60 it starts turning even better ...leaning into all turns.... and over 60 it is an Animal wink good power 60-100+ .... when I ordered it the canopies were a concern for me , 10 minutes into my first Run I popped my head up over the canopy at 70mph and I realized something...canopies Rock! I might be getting old but It's just so damn comfortable ....it's deceiving we were cruising at 80mph, 3500 RPM's and it just didn't feel like 80 mph!!!
so here is what happend went from needles to the sand bar, back to needles back through the sand bar down to the channel and she died about a mile downriver of copper canyon....got Larry on the phone and we narrowed it back to a timing issue...Jen and I had met Zsargo(les) earlier that day as he was breaking in his stunning 22mach with the 300 promax...and thankfully he pulled up in our time of need! he "Raced" Jen back to Park Moabi to get the trailer (THANK YOU VERY MUCH LES!!!... I wish you had taken the $$ gas ain't cheap, but thanks again)as I limped back into Havasu marina.....we trailered her and I bolted to tucson early the next AM......well.... MSD and their POS distributor gear was the problem....same thing that happend on my LAST "Teague" motor....anyone else having distributor gear issues??? Larry and Wade worked all day Saturday and 1/2 day sunday yanking the port motor and replacing the Cam and distributor gear.... The cam had very minor wear from the distributor gear failure but Larry decided to fix it right and replace both...all under warranty....HUGE thanks to Larry and Wade for giving up the weekend and not bandaging her back together...shes fixed right!....I am trying a new polymer distributor gear from Comp to see if they work better than the crap MSD is serving.... I drove back from Tucson mid day sunday and launched her back in 5pm-ish....River was pretty empty so after an hour of feeling her out again I got into her a couple times...and got 116 out of her twice....I didn't trim her all the way out yet.... and I will probably get a few more hours in her till I shoot for the 120 number.....I love this boat.....this is just an opinion but It's a BAD ASS ride.....oh ya... No porpoise anywhere...if it's in there I couldn't find it....I can't wait to get back out on the water... Dave has her going to the hot boat trials wed with sandbar Mike's boat... I hope we both get a good review!! :D IT'S ALL GOOD CHARLIE. JEN AND I AGREED THAT THE NEXT TIME I RAN INTO YOU GUYS I COULD DRIVE(THAT'S NOT A MISPRINT,IT SAYS DRIVE) THE NEW F29. I FIGURED I WOULD USE AS MUCH GAS ON MY 128 MPH RUN FROM COPPER CANYON TO THE CHANNEL AS I USED FROM COPPER CANYON TO PARK MOABI AND BACK IN MY LITTLE 22. SO SEE... IT ALL WORKS OUT. ALL KIDDING ASIDE, I'M 100% SURE YOU WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME FOR ME. SEE YOU ON THE LAKE SOON.

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2003, 01:15 PM
SVO 540:
...The question is why is there too much load on the gear? The answer is your oil pump.Yep...and thick oil makes it worse...

Craig
04-15-2003, 03:37 PM
I hate the gear deal. I've heard of so many MSD gears going bad :( Just don't know what the cure is?

HBjet
04-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Charley, sounds like you had a good time, and I'm glad everything worked out for you.
As for the gear going bad, there are a few other variables that can make a dist gear go bad. What type of cam your using, how much surface contact the cam gear has with the dist gear, etc. Some people use the Pro Billet distributor with an adjustable slip collar so you can get the right contact needed. Having an external oil pump is one way of fixing the problem, but there are several ways of correcting the problem while maintaining an internal oil pump. Most good engine builders would pay attention to things like this so they are corrected during engine assembly, so there would never be a problem.
NOTE: Not Bashing anyone's engine builder, just stating it is something a professional builder should have correct the first time.
HBjet

DogHouse
04-15-2003, 05:06 PM
I talked to Larry on Monday about some other stuff, but we did chat about the gear problem too. It was not an assembly problem, as they are well aware of all the issues. The ongoing problem has been a batch of bad gears from the manufacturer. The ones that fail all do so within a few hours of installation. He is not the only builder that has recently run into this problem.
ps: Nice boat Charley! :D
[ April 15, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

Charley
04-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Boy I hear ya Randy, but Norm Teague and Larry Peto both know their shit.....Larry even machines a groove in the collar so that oil seeps down onto the gear....as far as oil thickness he has me running a multi weight 10-50 wt....so not sure about that....The cam is a Lunati billet...MSD distributor gear must be cast...I know it wasn't a bronze gear.....I just think the cast gear is a piece of shit! Like I said Larry has been looking for someone to try this new polymer gear by Comp and I volunteered!! so thats whats in my Port motor....wish me luck!
eek!
[ April 15, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Charley ]

HBjet
04-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Charley, I don't doubt your builder knows what he is doing and I'm glad they took care of you.
Question for ya! Since this happened on one motor, are you going to do the same fix on the other even if it hasn't had the problem yet?
HBjet

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Charley:
....The is a Lunati billet...MSD distributor gear must be cast...I know it wasn't a bronze gear.....I think Crane recommends the bronze gear with the billet (roller) cams...
...but I agree, it's usually a premature wear issue, not a short-term failure...unless you pissed off the ignition gods!
Hurry up & get em broken in, Charley- only two weekends left!

Charley
04-15-2003, 07:21 PM
HBjet:
Charley, I don't doubt your builder knows what he is doing and I'm glad they took care of you.
Question for ya! Since this happened on one motor, are you going to do the same fix on the other even if it hasn't had the problem yet?
HBjet Larry only had 1 in stock at the time........He is bringing another one out to the poker Run for my starboard motor .... he is going to pull the port distributor and if looks like this new gear is holding up he will put the other one in the starboard.....these polymer gears must be pretty high tech....they are actually more expensive than the cast gears...I guess like $95 ish a copy....I just want reliablity...that was the whole point of going with big cubic inch single carbed motors...

FASTERDAMITT
04-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey Charley,
On the poly and bronze gears they do wear out, so make sure you have them checked when you do your services. :cool:
Les,
Way to go dude. I wish there was more people on the lake with your generosity. I can't wait until you get your motor broke-in. When is the next trip? wink

ZSARGO
04-16-2003, 08:24 AM
FASTERDAMITT:
Hey Charley,
On the poly and bronze gears they do wear out, so make sure you have them checked when you do your services. :cool:
Les,
Way to go dude. I wish there was more people on the lake with your generosity. I can't wait until you get your motor broke-in. When is the next trip? wink EXPECT ANYTHING LES FROM ME TOM? :) . I THINK NEXT WEEKEND 26TH AND 27TH. BIG BLOCK SPANKING PARTY AND POKER RUN. NOT SURE IF I WILL HAVE MY BOAT STILL. I HAVE 3 GUYS THAT ARE PRETTY HOT ON IT. BUT MAYBE I WILL FIND MY 257 OR MACH 26 BY THEN??

Blown 472
04-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Did the gear parts go thru the bearings??

BoatFloating
04-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Charley:
10 minutes into my first Run I popped my head up over the canopy at 70mph and I realized something "I need a few more phone books to see over canopy".
Sorry Charley, you left yourself wide open for that one..... :D

daytona 23
04-16-2003, 12:20 PM
nice lookin ride,did you save all winter for gas , we did, now i have a small nest egg for gas for our daytona. have fun be safe.

BoatFloating
04-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Charley, so how did it do at the test.......

Reaper1
04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Yeah, where's the info. It's dead in here today. Did everybody get an early start going to the river or what? Lucky Bastards. :p

dcbguy
04-18-2003, 07:41 PM
two words: bad ass!

dcbguy
04-18-2003, 07:43 PM
sorry boys, i just want to keep this thread going. for all that charley has been thru i think he deserves it.

bordsmnj
04-18-2003, 08:58 PM
i seen this boat first hand out in havasu on wednesday and it IS badass. probably the nicest one there. :cool: