PDA

View Full Version : Another canyon wrecked

469 the coyote
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Please make sure you guys check the trailer latches. The one on my moms ellis broke yesterday. I got to watch it pass me and go crashing throw a wood fence and into to brick fence post. The trailer took most of the force, but the boat is pretty banged up. I just hope that we can get it fixed to go the races this weekend. The other bad part is that my mom and dad were behind me and my poor mom had to see the crash. If anyone has ellis # can you PM me so I can get some fenders for the trailer.
Thanks,Lester

GofastRacer
07-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow sorry to hear that, hope damage is minimal!.. Here's the number I have!..
818. 361.4011

469 the coyote
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks art. It just crushed the fenders and the boat has to be repainted and the bond fixed. The bad part is that it was just painted in apirl.
Thanks,Lester

old flat
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Les;
Was the crash before or after the lake run? Did you get to run the boat?
I hope it works out for her to run this weekend. Any thing we can do, you got our numbers give me or Caleb a call.
STEVE

469 the coyote
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
No we didnt get to run it. It was on the way out there. It haped about a mile or so from the shop. We are going to make the race. It will just not look as good. A little glass work some filler and primer. Iam just glad that it was not on the dolly trailer, It would have been way worse.

flattie
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
That sux my dad had a brand new sanger towing it to a show without an engine in it when I was little. and it popped off the ball and went in between a guide wire and a telephone pole and cut the new Flattie right up the the boat to the steering wheel. So I can feel your pain.

syndicate
07-10-2006, 11:34 AM
That sucks Less. Like my dad said, if you need somethin give us a call.

469 the coyote
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I just tried to call you. Give me a call when you have a chance.

HavasuDreamin'
07-10-2006, 12:29 PM
It is also a good idea to put a wrench on your trailer hitch ball periodically. I got very lucky about 10 years ago when the nut came off the ball and the ball popped out of the ball mount. The safety chains snapped. The rub rail of the boat lined up with the rubber on my bumper and all was good. :) I now tac weld the nut to the ball on all my ball mounts. :boxed:

Norseman
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
It is also a good idea to put a wrench on your trailer hitch ball periodically. I got very lucky about 10 years ago when the nut came off the ball and the ball popped out of the ball mount. The safety chains snapped. The rub rail of the boat lined up with the rubber on my bumper and all was good. :) I now tac weld the nut to the ball on all my ball mounts. :boxed:
That's what the cotter pin is for!
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Lester!!

Bt273
07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Please make sure you guys check the trailer laches. The one on my moms ellis broke yesterday. I got to watch it pass me and go crashing throw a wood fence and into to brick fence post. The trailer took most of the force, but the boat is pretty banged up. I just hope that we can get it fixed to go the races this weekend. The other bad part is that my mom and dad were behind me and my poor mom had to see the crash. If anyone has ellis # can you PM me so I can get some finders for the trailer.
Thanks,Lester
Lester,what the f*** are you doing? let me guess,in a hurry? and it's fenders,not finders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and by the way,you should then give up your boat, being that you were the one hauling it,and you will then bring home the bling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

GofastRacer
07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
That's what the cotter pin is for!
What cotter pin??, that monster lock washer that comes with a ball does it, no way in hell will that nut come off on it's own!..

GofastRacer
07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks art. It just crushed the fenders and the boat has to be repainted and the bond fixed. The bad part is that it was just painted in apirl.
Thanks,Lester
Glad to hear it was minimal, sucks on the new paint though but it could have been worse, the boat could have came off the trailer!..

SUI-CY-COLE
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
i got a couple of hitches that never came loose with the lockwasher and no cotter pin for me neither...should I?

GofastRacer
07-10-2006, 07:09 PM
i got a couple of hitches that never came loose with the lockwasher and no cotter pin for me neither...should I?
Never seen one drilled for a cotter pin yet??. But with the lockwasher, you can tighten it with a crescent wrench, but when you take it off you will need a breaker bar along with a persuader to take it off!..

502 JET
07-11-2006, 03:28 AM
Please make sure you guys check the trailer latches. The one on my moms ellis broke yesterday. I got to watch it pass me and go crashing throw a wood fence and into to brick fence post. The trailer took most of the force, but the boat is pretty banged up. I just hope that we can get it fixed to go the races this weekend. The other bad part is that my mom and dad were behind me and my poor mom had to see the crash. If anyone has ellis # can you PM me so I can get some fenders for the trailer.
Thanks,Lester
Can you post pics of the hitch?
I have a Ellis trailer and it has a funky hitch mount that II have never seen before.I cant post pics now.The hitch is a round pipe with a slot in the bottom and it has a cast gate that locks over the ball.This set up does not seem very strong to me as you are pulling against this cast gate.

Norseman
07-11-2006, 04:22 AM
What cotter pin??, that monster lock washer that comes with a ball does it, no way in hell will that nut come off on it's own!..
Art:
Most of the larger size balls that I have have that big lock washer, and then a cotter pin below the nut.
But your right if it's tight to start with the lock washer should keep it tight.

Norseman
07-11-2006, 04:40 AM
I've never had one come loose that was tightened up, correctly. The ones I have with the cotter pin are I think from U Haul and Tractor Supply. One 2 inch and 2, 2 5/16. I know the 2 5/16 balls are class 5 the 2" might be a class 4.
You could always put locktite on the threads if you want to feel safer about it.
Lots easier than drilling for cotter pins!! :cool:

GofastRacer
07-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Art:
Most of the larger size balls that I have have that big lock washer, and then a cotter pin below the nut.
But your right if it's tight to start with the lock washer should keep it tight.
Biggest I've ever used was 2" and never seen one drilled ever for a cotter pin!..

GofastRacer
07-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Can you post pics of the hitch?
I have a Ellis trailer and it has a funky hitch mount that II have never seen before.I cant post pics now.The hitch is a round pipe with a slot in the bottom and it has a cast gate that locks over the ball.This set up does not seem very strong to me as you are pulling against this cast gate.
If you're talking about this kind, that is the best hitch that there ever was wish someone would start making them again!...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/12Front.jpg

RitcheyRch
07-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Same here.
Biggest I've ever used was 2" and never seen one drilled ever for a cotter pin!..

Morg
07-11-2006, 05:05 AM
If you're talking about this kind, that is the best hitch that there ever was wish someone would start making them again!...
I was told these hitches were not made anymore due to failures. The wings that capture the base of the ball get bent out & the ball can escape out the bottom.
I also really like these hitches. With maintenence they are not a problem.

david_396
07-11-2006, 06:24 AM
I was told these hitches were not made anymore due to failures. The wings that capture the base of the ball get bent out & the ball can escape out the bottom.
That is what happened to my trailer. Pulled the trailer out of the barn and as I exited there is a little bump, trailer popped off ball. A little work with a big hammer and welder tightened up the hitch.

olbiezer
07-11-2006, 06:36 AM
i just pulled my boat from calif to mississippi with that type of hitch......now u got me worried so i got to go check it out lol..........thanks guys ...just something else to worry about :220v: :220v:

GofastRacer
07-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Never heard that, I heard he just got tired and said screw it???.. Well I guess if you beat the shit out of it backing into them, I've seen people ram them and not in the center either, I would think they could only take so much abuse just like everything else!.. I bought this trailer in 85 and the hitch is still like the day I got it!.. :cool:

dmontzsta
07-11-2006, 06:52 AM
I agree with Art, I love mine. When I had the swing away done, they really wanted to hack it off and put a new style on. I told them "no thanks". If you keep your boat at the same level as it came off your truck, then you just back in to it everytime. It is only a chore if you are by yourself and the trailer is on the ground. :)

HavasuDreamin'
07-11-2006, 09:28 AM
that monster lock washer that comes with a ball does it, no way in hell will that nut come off on it's own!..
That is what I thought until looking out my rearview mirror on I-40 to see the boat swaying violently. My tac weld's have fixed those problems.

Norseman
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=109588 If you're talking about this kind, that is the best hitch that there ever was wish someone would start making them again!...
I've always liked this type, IMHO there is no way the ball is coming out of this setup!
BullDog Coupler (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=109588)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/26946108-med.jpg

steve d
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Never seen one drilled for a cotter pin yet??. But with the lockwasher, you can tighten it with a crescent wrench, but when you take it off you will need a breaker bar along with a persuader to take it off!..
I put mine on with a 24" pipe wrench and a 6' persuader. Yeah the nut doesn't look to good---one thing less to worry about. Art, Did you ever find a hitch like this when you were looking for one a while back?

Roaddogg 4040
07-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey Art, you need to get a little paint on that trailer!!! In your spare time, of course... :)
Steve

GofastRacer
07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I put mine on with a 24" pipe wrench and a 6' persuader. Yeah the nut doesn't look to good---one thing less to worry about. Art, Did you ever find a hitch like this when you were looking for one a while back?
Nope seems like they are non existent, probably have to find a junk trailer to get one!.. :mad:

GofastRacer
07-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Art, you need to get a little paint on that trailer!!! In your spare time, of course... :)
Steve
Bite me mofo, it don't look that bad for 20+ years!.. :D

Norseman
07-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Steve
Art;
You should drop the trailer off at Steve's for fresh paint. He'll have that new shop soon, should be a good first project in the new shop!

Roaddogg 4040
07-12-2006, 07:27 AM
That was going to be my next suggestion. Brinig it on over and WE could paint it but since you yelled at me I'm not too sure now... :yuk: :cry: :)
Steve

steve d
07-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Bite me mofo, it don't look that bad for 20+ years!.. :D
LMAO since this morning...........

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Art;
You should drop the trailer off at Steve's for fresh paint. He'll have that new shop soon, should be a good first project in the new shop!
Yeah but the bad thing is, he won't let me just drop it off I'd have to do most of the work!.. :rolleyes: :cry: :D

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
That was going to be my next suggestion. Brinig it on over and WE could paint it but since you yelled at me I'm not too sure now... :yuk: :cry: :)
Steve
I got out of work pretty easy on that one huh!... :D :D

Roaddogg 4040
07-13-2006, 04:57 AM
I might just paint it myself, if that is the type of paint job you would want... :) :)
Steve

finaleffort
07-13-2006, 05:16 AM
how about posting some pics of the damage so we all know why to check everything before we take off

502 JET
07-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Thats the one on my trailer.
Is this what 469 had on his trailer?If so what failed? :confused:

GofastRacer
07-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Thats the one on my trailer.
Is this what 469 had on his trailer?If so what failed? :confused:
I think it's an older Ellis so I would think he has this one??, I'd like to see the damage also!.. :confused:

GofastRacer
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I might just paint it myself, if that is the type of paint job you would want... :) :)
Steve
LMAO!.. :D

469 the coyote
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
It has a standerd type hitch. The look hook broke. I would get some pics but the boat is on its way to oregon. My dad did some touch up paint on the boat. It looks good from a far but not up close.