PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 28 Advantage Party Cat Owners !!!!!!!!!

bwcurry
07-15-2002, 04:28 PM
I have recently purchased a used 2001 - 28' Advantage Party Cat. I am seeking responses from past or current owners of this boat or from someone that is intimately familiar with this particular model.
I have experienced numerous problems with the boat which I believe to be either poor design or workmanship issues. However, the biggest problem that I have not been able to resolve is that the boat "porpoises" between the speed of 25 and 45 mph. This condition is bad enough with just 3 people on the boat. It is much worse when the boat is loaded with 8 people. The manufacture continues to tell me that the problem is that I don't know how to trim and drive the boat. Well, I have had several people drive it with the same result. I believe that this is either a design problem with the bottom of all 28 P-cats or maybe just my boat. The boat has a 502 EFI with a Whipple Charger. I have tried both the Bravo 1 and 3 drives on it with the same propoising. Look forward to your reply.

FastTimmy
07-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Is your problem mainly with smooth water?
Do you have trim tabs?

bwcurry
07-16-2002, 09:23 AM
Answer to FastTimmy's Questions on 7/15/02: It doesn't matter if the water is smooth or 1-2' chop it still porpoises. The boat does have trim tabs which substantially help the porpoising. However the manufacture emphatically states that this boat DOES NOT NEED TRIM TABS. The trim tabs that Advantage installed are Bennett sport tabs - 12" x 12" size. I am planning on upsizing them to a 12" x 16" size to see if this helps.

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 11:54 AM
You tried the Bravo III as well and it didn't help?
Do you have "tunnel tabs" or "sponson tabs?"
In other words the tabs that they installed are they at the top of the tunnel? Or the bottom of the hull on the outside of the tunnels?
RD

Havasu Secret
07-16-2002, 12:18 PM
bwcurry,
Call Bob Sepulveda or Ed at Advantage Boats for some advice. Both of them are really nice. Bob has been with Advantage a very long time and was there at the "Birth" of the first 22' PartyCat. Ed actually owns a PartyCat and has his dialed in very nicely. Bob or Ed should be able to even go for a ride with you the next time you are in Havasu.
I hope this helps.
HS
See You in Havasu!!!
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/HavasuSecret3.jpg
[This message has been edited by Havasu Secret (edited July 16, 2002).]

bwcurry
07-16-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
Do you have "tunnel tabs" or "sponson tabs?"
In other words the tabs that they installed are they at the top of the tunnel? Or the bottom of the hull on the outside of the tunnels?
Interesting question. I am alomost sure that the tabs are located at the top of the tunnels, "tunnel tabs". Yes I have both tried both a Bravo III (1:50 ratio and 24p props)and and Bravo I drive(1:50 ratio and 26p bravo 4 blade prop. The boat porpoises about the same with either drive. The only difference that I can tell between the two drives is that the XR Bravo I has a slight gear noise, comes on plane slower (but respectable) and the engine rpm's are about 400 higher at cruising speed (eats more fuel). What are your thoughts?
RD

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 01:21 PM
BWCurry, I'll drop you an e-mail.
I think it only fair to tell you though that I'm not an expert on this subject by any means.
RD

Chestah Cheetah
07-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, how would a Bravo III help to cure a porpoising problem? Does porpoising have anything to do with the type of drive used? I could understand maybe X dimension. Can someone eloborate on this?

Party Cat
07-16-2002, 01:59 PM
I by no means am an expert on outdrives, but can offer this info on my 96 26' Party Cat. I have a Bravo III and for the most part with a stock 7.4 330hp motor can get up on plane pretty easy and don't have a porpoising problem. The one thing that I do have in my setup that I haven't seen on any others is a 2" spacer between the upper and lower units. I have no idea how this really affects the ride, but it works. Maybe Chestah is on to something with the X dimension. I dunno.....

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Did ya get my e-mail?
RD

RiverDave2
07-16-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Chestah Cheetah:
Just out of curiosity, how would a Bravo III help to cure a porpoising problem? Does porpoising have anything to do with the type of drive used? I could understand maybe X dimension. Can someone eloborate on this?
Chestah, a Bravo III has alot more to offer then just helping get a big boat on plane. It can actually drastically improve the overall performance of a boat. Picture a wrench with a short handle and a large handle. That's basically the difference between a Bravo III and a Bravo I. Typically a 21-25' boat will ride noticeably better in rough water with dual props over a single. Becuase there's so much more leverage hanging off the ass end of the boat it can help to cure alot of little handling quirks as well.
Essex, has become fully aware of the ride and overall performance of a Bravo III and that's why you see so many of them on there. (This is not to say that Essex has any handling quirks becuase they don't to my knowledge) Granted you will lose a couple of MPH off the top end, but in most cases it's definately worth it.
I'd love to try a Bravo III on my Nordic to see if it cured some of my issues. (I bet that it would). However though becuase I don't have the money to blow and find out it doesn't I'll probably end up with a set of Bennet's like everyone else.
However in the case of most mfg's they will just use them so they can get a very heavy boat on plane with minimal horsepower. I.E. PartyCat's etc..
The downside to them (which is also why I didn't order one) is that they run one hollow prop shaft with another one through the center of it. If you "tigger" your outdrive the odds of a huge repair bill are alot higher. Now you have to props to fix/replace (which typically the Props are 1000.00 or more) Becuase the one hollow prop shaft is significantly weaker then a standard Bravo I shaft they sometimes bend, which can sometimes damage the inner one etc.. etc.. etc.. Needless to say shiznit can get expensive quick. Had I known the first time I was going to hit bottom I was going to have to replace my whole lower and most of my upper unit anyways I would have probably ordered the boat with a Bravo III. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif In retrospect I believe they share the same upper unit, I shoulda ordered a Bravo III lower unit when I had it repaired. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave2 (edited July 16, 2002).]

Chestah Cheetah
07-16-2002, 03:14 PM
[BPicture a wrench with a short handle and a large handle.[/B]
Makes sense, thanks!

Party Cat
07-16-2002, 04:41 PM
In retrospect I believe they share the same upper unit....
RD
You are correct !!!