PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Propping 24ft cat

WILDMAN
08-10-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm trying to set up a new 24ft Liberator cat. Same bottom as Skater. I know, get a Merc!, But this boat has 225 HO Johnsons. The problem is that with 34 cleavers, I'm turning 6500 rpm and only running 80! MASSIVE slippage. My propshafts are even with the bottom. Could the exhaust all coming out the bottom be creating the problem? Has anyone tried non-cleaver props on a 24 Skater or 25 Motion? I can't keep the nose up do to lack of prop bite. I'm also running 9 inch setback. I was going to put the motors back on the transom. I also cavitate bad getting on plane. Anyone got any ideas? HELP

FastCats
08-11-2002, 08:23 PM
Hey Wildman
Sounds like you are high on the x or really dirty water. Can you drop the engines, just to find out?c Does it have cones. What is the weight?

Boatmaster
08-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Wildman I have been playing alot with twin outboard rigging at my shop, I have found that the highest you can go with go water presure will give you the best speed. The boats I have been playing with have been 25Daytons 28Skatters and others. Most have ended up from 1.5 to 2 inches above the bottom.

WILDMAN
08-12-2002, 05:49 PM
The hull and interior are 1800 lbs. The motors are noseconed. The higher I go, the more slip. Still has plenty of water pressure at 1 1/2 inches above. I just ordered a pair of Mazco 30 inch roundears today. It's gotta help the slip and hopefully bring up the nose. I think it's basically just underpowered. I'll let you know what happens.

nhbuoy
08-12-2002, 08:36 PM
HEY WILDMAN.....True what they said about motor height...Rule of thumb, cleavers lift the stern, choppers lift the bow...Which way are the props spinning?? On a cat, OUT is usually the way to go...Where on the transom are the motors mounted ?? The motors should be mounted so the gearcase/lower unit is CENTERED on the inside edge of the sponsons....(the props will be half in/half out of the tunnel)....Relieve the exhaust so that's not an issue, and try any prop you can get your hands on!!!! It sounds like you're going in the right direction propwise... CONTINUED NEXT>

nhbuoy
08-12-2002, 08:54 PM
MORE INFO>>>> I hope you talked to MAZCO before you ordered those 30's..they sell a lot of props to the SKATER guys and have GOOD info on what will work.....I don't know about LIBERATOR boats first hand, but I KNOW SKATERS (ESP! 24's) DO NOT like 9" of set back!!!!! Most run best on tne transom....Let me know how you make out... Don't forget MERCS are cool, but 225 hp is 225 hp... That boat with the RIGHT set up and those motors should see 95+-... (A friend of mine has one with twin 200 MERCS and it runs 95+).........KEEP ME POSTED >>>>>>>>nhbuoy>>>>

Skaterfast
08-13-2002, 12:55 PM
My 24' Skater with 34 Merc 4 blades(the ones with the funky trailing edge)and 225 promaxs' goes 102 at around 6400 rpm.I have the motors bolted to the transom with the prop shafts 1 inch below the bottom and it takes excesive trim to make it fly.The next hole up runs out of water.I am installing 6" set backs with mechanical udgustment up and down next month then I'm pretty sure I can put the motors 1" above the bottom and not need excesive trim to gain 3-5 mph.Hope this helps.

nhbuoy
08-13-2002, 08:12 PM
HEY SKATERFAST.......Try some 4-blade choppers for more bow lift then you won't NEED TO TRIM EXCESSIVELY....SKATER's are DESIGNED for the motors ON THE TRANSOM (esp the 24's!!) Are you running nose cones W/low water pickups (it doesn't sound it) Do that first, then try some other props (MAZCO) that give the bow lift....Your logic is faulty by going to set back..of course you can mount the motors higher because the water off the sponson is trying to seek it's level(Look over the transom of any boat under way and you'll see what I mean......

Skaterfast
08-13-2002, 09:52 PM
I disagree.Yes I have CLE's with low water pick up.You might be correct about choppers lifting the boat better,but I shouldn't have to pick a prop to cary my bow.The bottom design should do that.The way the water comes off the bottom is why I am setting the motors back 6 inches.Please don't take offense,I hope you are wrong.Your the 1st person out of about 10 to say leave them on the transom.By the way I'm still trying to find a matched set of Mazcos 32" or 34'to try,it aint easy.Got any???

nhbuoy
08-14-2002, 04:55 AM
HET SKATERFAST...No offense taken.....I hope your right....It sounds like your getting jackplates which are always a plus...(6"is OK)...But I still say if the prop is lifting the transom, the boat will have a hard time finding it's sweetspot...I will make a few calls today and see if I can find you some props that might work.... You sound like you did your homework and know what's up ...I'll check-in with you tonite......

HavasuDreamin'
08-14-2002, 06:20 AM
Skaterfast:
I shouldn't have to pick a prop to cary my bow.The bottom design should do that.I agree. How many choppers do you see on the offshore race cats? Answer.........NONE!
Wildman, I would try to pitch down to maybe around 30", run cleavers and see what happens. Regardless of engine manufacture, you should see 100 mph or so out of that rig! If the 30" props don't work, think about drilling the exhaust and see if that is the problem. Next would be set up. Right now you are running about 28.9% slippage. At 10% slippage, you should see 101.26 mph with the 34's at 6,500 rpm. Good luck and keep us informed.

nhbuoy
08-14-2002, 03:39 PM
HEY WILDMAN, HD,& SKATERFAST.....FYI..I am looking at a POWERBOAT reprint circa 1987 on the SKATER 24 w/MERC 2.4's(250 hp)..The props were MAZCO 14x30 tached 7000 rpm, & ran 102 mph...The MAZCO's were cleavers BUT...they were REWORKED,do you think they might have added a little CUP???? HEY SKATERFAST>>>My bud has a labbed set of MERC 15x30's....He said he has a few other pairs around his shop but he was too busy to do an "inventory" when I called...If you want his number let me know...Even if you aren't interested in the props,this guy KNOWS how to make boats FLY RIGHT!!!He was a VERY successful offshore racer not so long ago and his advice is SOLID....

WILDMAN
08-14-2002, 06:02 PM
I just ordered a pair of 30 inch Mazco roundear 3 blades. It's worth a try. Skaterfast, Email me about a new set of Mazco 34x15 cleavers. I'll tell you where some are. liberatorboats@yahoo.com

Philip
08-15-2002, 09:58 AM
Hi guys, I think the 24' Skater guys should talk to Kirk, and or Shane from the other board. These guys know how to set up a 24'. I know a bit about the set up, having had a 28' and now a 32' both (2) engine outboards. I know they are not the same as a 24' but close. Run 3 blade Merc. Lab Cleavers, spin them out, 14.5 Dia. I never had good luck with the 15" props, With 9" setback you should be about 2" above the bottom of the sponson, and the center line of the prop shaft should be around 3.5" in from the edge of the tunnel. 9" set back might be a little much for a 24' boat, but that will not increase prop slip, or slow you down. If anything it will be fast. the only thing it might cause is a C.G. problem, (too far back) when the boat is out of the water and flying, you might drop the stern too fast on re-entry. The tunnel will give you Bow lift, don't use choppers, if you are not flying the bow, check the last 4' of the sponsons for any hook. should be flat, no hook.
Philip

Skaterfast
08-16-2002, 09:00 PM
JUST CALLED EDDIE MARINE TODAY AND MY 6 INCH SET BACKS WILL BE POWDER COATED AND READY ON FRIDAY.WHO WANTS TO PUT EM ON FOR ME?HA HA.HOPEFULY I'LL HAVE EM ON IN ABOUT A MONTH.REMEMBER 102MPH IS THE BEST I'VE SEEN WHEN IT WAS ABOUT 80 DEGREES IN HAVASU.ANY BETS ON 105MPH?

WILDMAN
08-17-2002, 04:39 PM
I just ran the new Mazco 30 round ears today. Great holeshot, but only saw 86.2 at 6500 rpm. Tried 34 cleavers again, no enough rpm. Tried 30 cleavers, ran 88.4. All these props still had a porpoise to them. I raised the motors till it would not get on plane. I believe the porpoising is due to the 9 inch setback. I know a guy with the same motors, boat, and props, and his flattens out at 78 mph. The ONLY difference is that his motors are on the transom. I may go to a 32 cleaver, as I'm runs near the rev-limiter now. The jackplates are coming off this week. I'll let you know what happens. See-ya, WILDMAN

bulldogdad
08-18-2002, 09:54 AM
hey wildman,is that the same boat that was in boat trader? looks sweet,like the price on it,hope you get the speed you're looking for! :D

WILDMAN
08-18-2002, 02:59 PM
It's the yellow and blue one. I sold it in May. The guys wife did'nt like it, so he traded it in on a new motorhome. He lost his ass! The RV place called me and asked if I wanted to buy it back. I did. It's got 18 hours on it and I'm now selling it for $52,000. It's a 2002. It's a great deal for someone. You can email for pics. liberatorboats@yahoo.com

bulldogdad
08-19-2002, 06:04 AM
damn 52,000,even though its got johnsons on it it's still a great deal,i'll send an e-mail for some pics,waiting to make that big investment by next yr. i hope. and the best way to buy it is to buy it then tell the wife,lol,.by the way,used to live down in winter haven on the chain of lakes,had an 18ft. borum bobcat with a 140 johnson,ran the crap out of that motor and never had a problem,hope the rain has brought up the water levels up there :D