PDA

View Full Version : Dodge exhaust temps

Brian
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I've been running an Edge EZ box on my 04 555 Dodge. It also has an AFE intake, and when towing I had to be very careful with the throttle to keep the temps safe with the box on #4. I usually run it up to 1200 or so and back off to keep it right around there. With all the ads and talk about bigger exhaust lowering temps, I went ahead and put on a 4" turbo-back system (Silverline). It has a straight through muffler that is ridiculously loud, so I also added an Aeroturbine in line to help quiet things just a bit. Power is up noticeably, and temps are down at cruise, but when I plant the throttle to pull up a hill, the temps creep right back up past the safe zone and I have to back out. Is this normal? What are some of your experiences with the tuner boxes and towing? I didn't think that the Edge EZ was all that extreme since I know there are many other boxes out there that make a lot more power.
I think that STV Keith told me once that this motor is good for 1350 sustained, but I just can't bring myself to run it up that high! :jawdrop:
Is there another mod that will drop the temps down more? I suppose I could just back off and be content dragging my sled up the hills at 60 in sixth gear!
;)

STV_Keith
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Hard to keep the EGT's in check with one of the most powerful versions of the 5.9 that Cummins has offered, but with the smallest turbine section turbo they have ever offered. What happens is the exhaust just can't get out through that itty-bitty turbine section.
Cummins claimed 1450*F continuous for 30 minutes in their testing of the 555 motor (1550*F for the 600), but we recommend 1350*F as an upper limit for towing.
A couple of other things...I'm suprised you felt anything with the exhaust. We have found less than 5hp gain on the Cummins engines going from stock to 4" exhaust, even at the 500hp level. There is much more of a change when changing turbos. At your power level (roughly 360rwhp or so), the stock turbo is right on the outside of it's abilities to keep EGT's at bay.
How much EGT will your truck make if you disconnect the EZ, under worst case scenario? That is something to look at. Those trucks typically would make 1350*F stock - so if they will make that stock, you know DC has engineered them to withstand that indefinitely, right? See where I'm going on that one? If it makes 1325F stock for instance, then with the box, at least 1325F is acceptable (or whatever the number turned out to be).
Also, I think you will find you will run out of cooling system before you run out of EGT control. Typically around 350-400rwhp is the max useable for the cooling system to support, even if you can keep the EGT's in check.
And lastly, speaking of 6th gear, have you tried dropping a gear or two at the same speed? More RPM, within reason, may offer more/similar power at lower EGT's. Have to move air to keep EGT's in check. At 60mph, you might be lugging it a bit for 6th gear.

Brian
07-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Hi Keith,
Thanks for the info! I was wondering how hot this motor would run stock. Unfortunately I never thought to do that kind of test before I put on the exhaust and now there's no way the stock system is going back on (big pain in the arse!). If they do run 1350 in stock trim then I guess it's ok and I'll run mine up a little more. That'll put me up the hills at 65-70 easy, which is as fast as I like to tow anyways. At 1200ish, it's right on the edge of losing speed and will start to slow a bit. Shifting is always an option of course, but then things get noisy. Besides, one of the goals with the mods was to be able to grunt right up the big hills without shifting and maintain highway speed.
Can't say for sure what the difference is with the exhaust, other than seat of the pant response feels faster around town. Maybe it's just making more noise! :)
Bigger turbo? Hmmm... :idea:
You ever mess with the modified timing sensors that give you a couple more degrees of advance, any improvements there?

Jordy
07-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Just keep turning it up until you break something and then back it down a bit. :idea: :D

PHX ATC
07-11-2006, 07:12 AM
We have the same year, same setup, with the EZ box, and 4" SS turboback exhaust, AFE Scotty III intake system, and gauges. Back in the day, when I had a boat, I wouldn't let the exhaust get over 1200. PERIOD! Call me a weenie, but I'd rather have my engine intact and working well 2 years from now than eeking out an additional 3 mph and blowing peoples doors off running up a hill. Sure, there were times that I ran it up past 1200 to "get by" somebody, but then I'd back out of it.
Keith said it best, it's the outside, exhaust side, of the turbo that is the restrictive spot in the whole enchilada. Get a bigger turbo, but then, oooh, you need bigger injectors, and oooh, wait, a bigger Edge box, and then.... :crossx:
I don't think our truck has gotten over 600 since we sold the boat. It's now relegated to towing our 2 fertilizer producing machines a whopping 4 miles down the road to the lesson lady and a few gymkhana (rodeo) events. Yee haw! :rollside:

STV_Keith
07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
PHX ATC, just remember that Cummins has been making modifications to these motors to take more heat. Revised pistons with oil cooling passages, different J jets to spray more oil on the bottom of the pistons, etc to make them take the heat. Not to mention it's a cast piston with a steel insert (the alum is cast around the steel).

Run_em_Hard
07-11-2006, 08:34 AM
What kind of numbers are you seeing for boost? With the addition of fuel you need air. 38 psi is about the highest you want to run with your turbo. One more little thing...is you egt gauge pre or pst turbo???

soupersonic
07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I have the 325/600 motor with a hot juice/attitude monitor.I regularly see 1000-1100* with the probe post turbo,so add 200-300 degrees to that for a pre turbo probe.I have the auto tho,the temps will run high in OD if you try and climb a hill without shutting off the OD,letting it rev a little to keep it cooler.If i were you i would try downshifting to 5th,ill bet it runs cooler and just as fast.

STV_Keith
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
I have the 325/600 motor with a hot juice/attitude monitor.I regularly see 1000-1100* with the probe post turbo,so add 200-300 degrees to that for a pre turbo probe.I have the auto tho,the temps will run high in OD if you try and climb a hill without shutting off the OD,letting it rev a little to keep it cooler.If i were you i would try downshifting to 5th,ill bet it runs cooler and just as fast.
Be careful with that rationale of thinking. I can say that you are right - they will be 200-300 different at sometimes, but at other times, can be as little as no difference, or as much as 600* difference! Put the probe pre-turbo if you really want to know. For a performance application, it should be pre-turbo.
I believe that is where Edge also states to install the probe.

soupersonic
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Yea,that where "they" put it.Im going to have them plug the old hole and retap it pre but i havent gotten around to doing it yet.He said sometimes the probe can melt and cause turbo issues,so i believed him.

STV_Keith
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't believe the hype. FAA allows airplane engines to have the thermocouple before the turbo - you think they would allow it if it were a problem? :) Also, a Type-K thermocouple, which is what we use, is rated for output to 2500*F. If it will read that high, it has to be able to withstand a bit more. ;)

Brian
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Nice idea Jordy... Then I could sell it as "turn key"! :argue: :D
Probe is pre-turbo. Max boost is around 27 psi. Must be that small turbo thing again. :yuk:
:boxed:

PHX ATC
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Preturbo here too.
Max pressure that I've seen is 34. Woohoo!
STVKeith, I know that Cummins has done ALOT to get to where it is today and love everything about the engine. I'm just a weenie, I guess! :rollside:

Patyacht
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
With all that drilling and mounting, won't it void the warranty? Just asking cus I'm thinking of adding an Edge with monitor to my 06 2500 Dodge and the local dealer has already given me heat about the 4" lift, 35's etc. You know the story, I did not buy it from him sooooooo.........

STV_Keith
07-13-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure a pyrometer won't void your warranty - after all, all it does it tell you if you have a problem. If only the probe is there when you go in for warranty, how are they to know that you have something done? For all they know, you've installed 1/2 of a pyrometer gauge kit.

soupersonic
07-13-2006, 01:58 PM
The pyrometer shouldn't but the EDGE sure will.You will be your own warranty station.