PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Hot Boating

28Prowler525
07-11-2006, 07:50 AM
We have friends that live about 45 minutes south of Denver. We are thinking about going out there for 6 weeks next summer, and will bring the boat if it's worth it. Can anyone give me info on lakes within 3-4 hours of Denver? I would like to know names, sizes, H2o temp, etc...
Thanks

XTRM22
07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Nothing really large on the front range unless you want to travel, McCaunahay (sp) is about 4-5 hours east and north on the Nebrasca (sp) border. Right around Denver, Cherry Creek Reservoir and Chatfield reservoirs are both pretty good sized. Pueblo Reservoir down next to (ironically) Pueblo, is also pretty good sized. North of Denver Next to Fort Collins is Horse Tooth Reservoir (my favorite of the bunch). HorseTooth is about 6 miles long and a mile wide in places, making it the biggest of the small ones listed. There all good boatable lakes, but a little small, and crowded on the weekends. Water temps probabaly never get above high 70's. Of course this is all based on memmory, I haven't boated in Colorado in 16 years. I do think that all listed except Mccaunohay have speed limits around 45 mph.
Chuck