PDA

View Full Version : Computer question..........

core attitude
07-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Is there a way to connect an old hard drive that is out of my old computer to my daily computer so I can retrieve some info?
Thanks, Pete

THATJEFFGUY
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Yep, just change the jumpers on the back of the old HD so it's a "slave" and not a "master". Then plug it into the extra HD cable on your PC and let the PC detect it.

Jyruiz
07-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Jeff is correct as long as the first HD is not set to CS (cable select) if it is then you can set the second hard drive to CS as well and make sure you hook it up to the second (1) HD connector on the IDE cable. You can also set the HD in your current PC to MASTER, then you can set your old HD to Slave and do it that way.

ParkerSteve
07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
go to FRY'S and buy a usb hard drive enclosure , install old drive and plug it in. it will show up in MY COMPUTER as a additional drive......That was easy...

core attitude
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the replies........I should be able to figure one of them out. :) I don't need to worry about the OS on the second drive causing a conflict?
Pete

Jyruiz
07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies........I should be able to figure one of them out. :) I don't need to worry about the OS on the second drive causing a conflict?
Pete
No, not if it is slaved correctly. ParkerSteve is correct though, that would be the easies way to do it and you won't have to take your PC apart. Those HD enclosures usually go for about $20.00

Bense468
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Your OS on your second drive will not cause a conflit. The USB bay is the best route if you are going to do it everyonce in a while. Also good for backups. Your new PC may not be IDE, so you may not be able to set jumpers and do it the way the guys are recommending. Most newer PC's are not IDE.

core attitude
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Great, thanks again for the replies.
Pete