PDA

View Full Version : FE block

roostwear
07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
NEEDED! :cry: The crack in #1 tells me I need a new block. It isn't worth sleeving, so if anyone has a std (4.050") or fresh .030 over block to sell, let me know.

dmontzsta
07-11-2006, 04:42 PM
That stinks. Did the kid that bought my boat ever contact you? that is a cherry FE there, std. bore.

roostwear
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Nope, never contacted me. Now's the time for him to call, cuz I want to finish this sucker up soon.

dmontzsta
07-11-2006, 08:07 PM
What a bone head, I just hope he doesnt want a mint for it. As soon as I see him on instant messanger, I will ask him about it again.

roostwear
07-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Spoke with my machinist, and we decided to sleeve it and punch it out. This engine isn't going to put out big hp, have squeeze, or be upgraded in the future, so we'll use hypereutectic pistons and just build a solid "stock" engine for the Stevens. Just have to be a little conservative on the tune and it'll last.

Floored
07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I sleeved a 396 way back in the day and it was 12.8-1 comp and ran 8200 in my Camaro with a 4 speed and never hurt that cylinder. If they are done well they work fine. Good luck.

Tahiti350
07-15-2006, 12:54 AM
If you were closer.... I have a D4T block in a '64 Galaxie, I've heard they can be anything from 360 to a 428, and that if they are on the smaller end can be bored safely to the 428 bore. I'm planning a late model 5.0 HO/AOD swap to make a daily driver out of the '64, so the motor is excess baggage.
BTW it's wearing C6E heads and intake, not sure about the internals...

07-15-2006, 06:54 AM
If you were closer.... I have a D4T block in a '64 Galaxie, I've heard they can be anything from 360 to a 428, and that if they are on the smaller end can be bored safely to the 428 bore. I'm planning a late model 5.0 HO/AOD swap to make a daily driver out of the '64, so the motor is excess baggage.
BTW it's wearing C6E heads and intake, not sure about the internals...
D4T blocks are subject to core shift and should be sonic checked before any boring, even a clean up bore of .030" They are also notorious to cracking at the oil gallery to the rockers, either at the base of the gallery close to the cam journal or at the deck closest to the head bolt. This block represents the last run of FEs and core boxes and patterns were wearing out and used past their expected life, this is why some of the later blocks had external ribs cast into the block skirts. Once in a while someone gets lucky and find that one block that can go to a std. 428 bore [4.130"] because Ford also used these as service blocks for pass. cars and had to be able to replace 428 blocks.

blown428fe
07-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Roost- I sold my 390 less heads to my friend for $2000.00 two years ago and it is still sitting in my garage. Offerd to buy it back less his heads that are on it now and says to me hes going to sell it as a package with his 77 F-250 for 7 grand (not going to happen). Im building a new shop next month and cant wait to tell him to get the motor out of here.

Tahiti350
07-15-2006, 07:23 PM
D4T blocks are subject to core shift and should be sonic checked before any boring, even a clean up bore of .030" They are also notorious to cracking at the oil gallery to the rockers, either at the base of the gallery close to the cam journal or at the deck closest to the head bolt. This block represents the last run of FEs and core boxes and patterns were wearing out and used past their expected life, this is why some of the later blocks had external ribs cast into the block skirts. Once in a while someone gets lucky and find that one block that can go to a std. 428 bore [4.130"] because Ford also used these as service blocks for pass. cars and had to be able to replace 428 blocks.
Thanks for the info, always glad to learn a little more about the FE's . I got the info I had off the FE Mustang Forum. Whats the odds I've got a 428 already??

rrrr
07-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info, always glad to learn a little more about the FE's . I got the info I had off the FE Mustang Forum. Whats the odds I've got a 428 already??
When 058 was born, Ford was still putting ignition coils in wooden boxes, and there was a spark advance lever on the steering column. :crossx:

07-16-2006, 12:27 PM
When 058 was born, Ford was still putting ignition coils in wooden boxes, and there was a spark advance lever on the steering column. :crossx:You bas*ard :crossx: :D :D :D didn't you get laid off from the buggy whip factory or was it the wooden wheel plant? :D

Moneypitt
07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Is there a site like Mortec for Ford casting/forging numbers?.........I need some stuff for my 428 pick up motor, like heads? Or trade the 428 complete for a good running 390?...........MP

roostwear
07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
First off, let me say my machinist hates it when he sees the blocks I start with. I dropped it off to him today and after looking it over, it won't be going .040 over. There's one cylinder that MAY clean up at .060, so that's the first hole we'll bore. If not, I'm looking at two sleeves (opposite banks, opposite ends), so any other surprises and I will DEFINITELY need another block. Friggin' boats... you gotta love this shit......