PDA

View Full Version : which hull 22-24 ft. for i/o dragrace class

badbug
07-09-2002, 02:20 PM
looking for info for best hull to buy for drag-race i/o class. Ive heard of the 24ss HTM being very quick. I read in magazine that it went 127 mph in 9.37 seconds in quarter mile with 1350 hp and b-max drive. Is this really true Is there a quicker or faster hull for this. I dont want to expose the engine. I want it under hatch,like a sleeper. I also want the hull to take reasonable chop with ease.

HTM Lady
07-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by badbug:
looking for info for best hull to buy for drag-race i/o class. Ive heard of the 24ss HTM being very quick. I read in magazine that it went 127 mph in 9.37 seconds in quarter mile with 1350 hp and b-max drive. Is this really true Is there a quicker or faster hull for this. I dont want to expose the engine. I want it under hatch,like a sleeper. I also want the hull to take reasonable chop with ease.
I know of a HTM that ran in the IHBA at phoenix last year. There were 3 HTM's. It is set up for full drag runs awesome and is for sale. Look under Cats. Its Mr.Pumps HTM. Contact Cindy.The boat is awesome.
[This message has been edited by HTM Lady (edited July 09, 2002).]

DogHouse
07-09-2002, 03:14 PM
If the main purpose for the boat is just drag racing, I would look for something smaller and lighter than an HTM because even the SS model is still a big boat. The 22 Daytona comes to mind, preferably with a carbon/kevlar layup to keep things light. A big blower would be sticking up through the hatch, so it wouldn't be much of a sleeper unless you went with turbos. If you also want the boat to handle the rough stuff better, you'll have to sacrifice the acceleration and get something bigger like the HTM. Don't get me wrong, that HTM hauled ass at the drags but it would go quicker if it weighed a thousand lbs less.
-brian

Skaterfast
07-09-2002, 09:12 PM
Dog house brings up some good points.Here is another one.Placecraft 22.I think you can stick some big horsepower under the hatch and still be sleeping.They are getting some big speed #'s from their fast bottom design.Or a 24 Skater is going to weigh about 500-1000 pounds less than any other 24 footer.

badbug
07-10-2002, 05:57 AM
I still am not getting a confirmation on the real et and speed of the htm at the drags.. Did it really run that quick and that fast on a legal run?gary

Craig
07-10-2002, 07:26 AM
We saw them run last year at the finals at Firebird. They were running mid 10's to 11's at 107 to 118 mph from what I recall. Those boats looked HUGE compared to the "normal" drag boats http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
As for legal, I think the only rules were a Bravo style outdrive. As for motors, I think the only rule was no NOS. I thought the 24 Skater only came in an O/B, which wouldn't be permitted in this class.
Is IHBA still going to try this class? I know Steve and HTM were the guys pushing it.
Craig

DogHouse
07-10-2002, 09:56 AM
I seem to recall reading some rules about size limits, something like minimum 22', boats under 24' run 510 blown or 565 n/a, over 24' get to run bigger motors but don't remember the numbers. Or something like that. It's hell getting old. Memory is the first thing to go...
What did I just say?
-brian

Skaterfast
07-10-2002, 04:02 PM
I've never seen a 24' Skater with a car motor,but I've heard there are 1 or 2 out there.The bottom must be modified though,because it's a full tunnel.

Tom Slick
07-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes, Steve at HTM ran that 9 second pass at Firebird. I believe it was a procharged 565 C.U. motor, which was under the hatch.

Robbie Racer
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Badbug, before you decide to buy a big boat and enter it in the drags, you might want to check with the IHBA to see if they are going to actually have a class for these big boats. When I looked into running my 25' Carrera a year ago or so, they told me that HTM was primarily promoting the race and more than likely it would only be for So. Calif. and Firebird events at that. They still might let you run it in the bracket class though along with the other smaller boats. Good luck, Keith