PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever run out of gas on the lake/river and had to be towed in

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Have you ( in your personal boat, not a friends boat)
ran out of gas on the lake/river
and had to be towed in.................
yes :rolleyes:

Ziggy
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Nope....my wife wouldn't be able to swim and pull us in so I have to be careful about that... ;)

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Nope....my wife wouldn't be able to swim and pull us in so I have to be careful about that... ;)
It was easy......maybe I was floating with the current?! :rolleyes:

OCMerrill
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Nope. I have always been ok with this.
What's worse is one time I ran out of beer. This happened one time only and I have had no freinds sense :)

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
What's worse is one time I ran out of beer. This happened one time only and I have had no freinds sense :)
THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED ON MY BOAT!!!
(we have a special secret storage compartment, for extra beer, just add ice)
:D

bruddah
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
yes have done it at laughlin. at the ramp across from harrahs in the no wake zone. just got back from a day at havasu and was watin for the trailer when i was half way across i ran out. the fun part was the one pullin us in was myself my sister and my girlfriend. good old man power but the girls were pretty much achors and we got it in and didnt end up in the reeds. definately a fun story.

chub
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, a few weeks ago I found out one of my tanks wasn't drawing fuel. Luckily we were about 100 yards out of Moabi and our freinds drug us back in real quick. No real major dealio. I did break down in the Virgin Basin on Mead one time and had to get towed about 10 miles back. The first thing I asked when we broke was "How much beer do we have?" answer was a case. I said "No problem!" :cool: :cry: :) :)

djunkie
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Same here.

Phat Matt
07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Yep. Gas guage broke. Passed the powerlines on Mohave. Didn't get a tow back in until about 3am to Katherines. We thought we were going to have to stay the night. That is what the rangers told us. They said they would find us in the morning. We ran out of gas at sunset. :)

HM
07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I have ran out of gas twice in my Campbell and had to get towed. The first time was when I first got the boat and didnt realize the sending unit did not work on the right tank and it said 1/4. Luckily, I was at the buoys at Cottonwood and got towed by a SeaDoo. The second time was when the sending unit on the left tank finally quit. I got towed in at Elsinore by a wake board boat.
I ran out of gas in my old flattie a couple times (at Parker on the same weekend and had to get towed twice by the same guy), even though it had gas in one of the tanks. What would happen is that one tank would run out of gas, and the electric pump wouldn't pull from the other tank when it was low(it had actual coast guard approved tanks where the pickups come in through the top). I fixed it by adding a mechanical fuel pump(I ran both an electrical and mechanical pump - worked very well). I actually had a third episode, but I had an air pump on the boat for some reason and we used it to presurize the tank that still had fuel and we got enough fuel to flow to get us back to the marina.
I almost ran out of gas in our mastercraft a couple weeks ago. I was pulling a skier and the boat started running funny. Being an expert on running out of gas, I said "It feels like we are running out of gas." The gauge said 1/2 and then realized it had said 1/2 the last few times out. I cut the power, pulled in our skier, and had enough to idle to the gas dock which was about a 100 yards away at the time. Yep, filled it up, and the gauge still said 1/2.
so, technically, I have ran out of gas 2 times since my flatty still had gas in it, but could not get it to flow.

thumbs
07-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Never.

Chubby4Life
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Have you ( in your personal boat, not a friends boat)
ran out of gas on the lake/river
and had to be towed in.................
yes :rolleyes:
Boat died as I pulled into the gas dock. Which way do I vote?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Nope, never have. On the other hand, I HAVE "broken down" a couple times with minor trouble that was easilly fixed at the marina/gas dock. :D

anchorman
07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Yup new I was low ...close to the marina.
It died right at the wake buoys.

Goober
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes but it was not my fault. I had my buddies lake lice out and he said it had 3/4 tank 5mins later i was dead in the water no gas. Come to find out some one pulled the gas out of the tank at night 10 gallons of race gas gone. I hate theives.
So for me no comment.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Boat died as I pulled into the gas dock. Which way do I vote?
No, because you didn't need to be towed in:D

Roxysnow
07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
nope, but there wass time I have run out of gas on the 1st tank without noticing it. Talk about freaking me out when the motor dies! I ususally only look at the oil and temp gauges! :mad:

Jyruiz
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
This should have read,
Have you ever run out of gas on the lake/river and had to be towed in by a SeaDoo?

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
ONCE, no more!!! :frown: NSF

Huckleberry
07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I can dayum close one time after making a dam run from Katherine Landing. By the time I got to Cottonwood Cove, the boat was sputtering and the gas dock was closing up for the night. The guy at the dock was real cool and opened up for me. He saved my bacon for sure. I tossed him $40 for his troubles and help.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
This should have read,
Have you ever run out of gas on the lake/river and had to be towed in by a SeaDoo?
Ok, THAT'S IT!!! :mad:
:220v:
Step outside!!!! :crossx:
lol
;)

H20 Toie
good thing you didn't ask about the ocean.
but never onthe river or lake and never been towed in

Mandelon
Not Yet..... :cool:

AZKC
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Of all the times I've been towed in :mad: it has never been do to running out of gas :cry: I wish it had been gas, it would have been a much cheaper fix/fixes :220v:

OCMerrill
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Ok, THAT'S IT!!! :mad:
:220v:
Step outside!!!! :crossx:
lol
;)
I usually say go outside and practice falling down. :rollside:

77charger
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Yup well sort of.My old jet boat had no gas gage i always put plenty in then it sputtered down i assumed out of gas(looked low enough from lookin in tank)Got towed in put gas Now ready to start still no start ended up a plugged fuel filter break out a sharp screwdriver problem solved.
At powell new boat gas gage showed enough to make a trip well gage dint work like it did before 1/4 tank is the new empty(at least on one tank)a passing houseboat gave me 5 gallons even thought i only needed 1 to make it to marina also offered him money he refused told me take the 5 gallons was easier for him to carry an empty can since his vaca was done. 2 years later the other tank is now the same last year at naci it started acting funny at 1/4 tank i got suspicious so i cruised at one throttle speed made it 100 yds from our campground said WTF turn up radio one of our group will come get us was about a 1/2 hr party
Have also towed in a few boats in the past so what comes around gos around as i found out which can be a good thing in some cases

GAME TIME
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
sure have! Took an old jet boat from Bullhead down to the sand bar. Stopped in Park Moabi to get a little bit for the ride back, but going up river took a lot more gas than I thought. Guages did not work that good anyways. I was less than 1/4 mile from the Avi and ran out. Got a quick tow into the Avi and the rest is history.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Muffler bearing in the master cylinder need lubbing? :D
As luck wouldr have it, the marina happened to have just the right lube too HolyMoly. Was back out in just about 15 minuites. Topped up on fuel too, since I was there of course.

Debbolas
07-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I usually say go outside and practice falling down. :rollside:
:D
:skull:

jbone
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I carry one of those clear hoses with the ball fitting that self primes and begins flowing.
I can use it help others that run out, and if I run out maybe I can buy a few gals from someone.
I would rather give up 5 gals than tow them in.
J

GHT
07-12-2006, 06:48 PM
No, I've only blown a motor and had to be towed... :cry:

BadKachina
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I carry one of those clear hoses with the ball fitting that self primes and begins flowing.
I can use it help others that run out, and if I run out maybe I can buy a few gals from someone.
I would rather give up 5 gals than tow them in.
J
That's a good idea, I would rather give up some gas too then tow someone back from the sandbar or Humbug, even if it is race fuel or av gas. You probably use more fuel towing someone a long distance than you would giving them five gallons or so.
I personally haven't ever run out but it seems like some one in our group usually does, especially in LHC.

No Name
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
I thought I could make it to Havasu Springs, I was wrong. :cry:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3087655775-R1-040-18A.jpg

Ultracrazy
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Nope.......but I have towed in at least three people who have.

OCMerrill
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I thought I could make it to Havasu Springs, I was wrong. :cry:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3087655775-R1-040-18A.jpg
It looks to me like your making it to the springs. Maybe not as fast as you would have liked :)