PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices

SLOWMAN
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
How many of you have changed your boating style or have cut down your trips to the river since the cost of gas is now $3.00 plus per/gallon? Consider both your tow vehicle fuel consumption and boat's fuel consumption.

Jyruiz
07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Has not effected me any, I save all year for summer when the kids and wife are off work and school. I would be at the rive more often, but to many damn relatives are having birthday parties this year. I only tow 2 miles each way, so that has not effected me much.

RitcheyRch
07-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Hasnt affected me yet and dont think it will.

Brewzed
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
like a wise man once said, "if you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the toys"

USCFAN
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Only affects me once a month, when I get my gas bill.. I am pist until the weekend comes and off I go.

Not So Fast
07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes I have changed my habits, do a lot more floating and one destination days. No more going to the Springs then to Moabi then to Steamboat. I enjoy just being on the water. :D NSF

Froggystyle
07-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Yes I have changed my habits, do a lot more floating and one destination days. No more going to the Springs then to Moabi then to Steamboat. I enjoy just being on the water. :D NSF
I second that. We plan the day a little better and don't drive around "looking for people" at all anymore.
That being said, I can't think of a single trip this year where I haven't spent at least $700 in gas for the boat and moho. Spent nearly $1100 on the trip to Mead... two day trip!

Caribbean Jet
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
We're doing a lot more local trips to smell some more as opposed to going all the way to the river.

77charger
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
less boating for me this year also busy with racing too so that takes time away.But if i wasnt racing i would still be out less.Going to take my first summer trip with boat to powell for a week then probably one more trip in oct.Usually take 2-3 more trips.Can only take it for so long and doesnt look like it will get any cheaper in the future just more.If boat wasnt paid for i would probably sell.

ThongMagnet
07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm doing more trips to the lakes around Phoenix.
If I'm going to Havasu, its going to be in the middle of the week, before Memorial day, or after Labor day.

selfmade
07-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Has not effected me any, I save all year for summer when the kids and wife are off work and school. I would be at the rive more often, but to many damn relatives are having birthday parties this year. I only tow 2 miles each way, so that has not effected me much.
MAN IM WITH YOU IF I HAVE TO MISS ANOTHER RIVER WEEKEND FOR A DAMN BIRTHDAY IM GONNA TURN JEHOVAH

2Driver
07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
We plan the day a little better and don't drive around "looking for people" at all anymore.
I remember that day. :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347DSC_0204_A1.jpg

HYPNAUTIC
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM
weve been to the river more this year than in the past. 3X in April, 3X in May, 2X in June and once so far in July. Granted we have stayed at our friends house more this year and camped at Moabi several times. We saved alot of $$$ for gas last year when the wife was prego's!

Froggystyle
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I remember that day. :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347DSC_0204_A1.jpg
Not you Mark... gas was cheap back then! ;)
Not going to let me live that down, are you?
So, how was Bartlett?

me4drvr
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Why would it affect anyone.... realistically it's about a $1.00ish more than last year, so we all have 20-30 gallon tanks in the tow trucks, so what's that $60 more round trip in fuel (not-towing) topping off the boat each day, say 50-60 gallons, so that $100 extra for 2 days?... so we'll cushion it and say an extra $200 for fuel... whoopie di doo... Before I had my house, I'd pay $100-150/night for hotel, a grip for beer, eating out, etc., etc., let's face it this is not a hobby that you "budget". Sooo quit your bitchin' let's race around, have a good time and say cheers when we pass :rollside:

ThongMagnet
07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Why would it affect anyone.... realistically it's about a $1.00ish more than last year, so we all have 20-30 gallon tanks in the tow trucks, so what's that $60 more round trip in fuel (not-towing) topping off the boat each day, say 50-60 gallons, so that $100 extra for 2 days?... so we'll cushion it and say an extra $200 for fuel... whoopie di doo... Before I had my house, I'd pay $100-150/night for hotel, a grip for beer, eating out, etc., etc., let's face it this is not a hobby that you "budget". Sooo quit your bitchin' let's race around, have a good time and say cheers when we pass :rollside:
Its not so much the extra $60 round trip to the lake, It's the extra $250 a month I spend on fuel at home everyday.

Screemy1
07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Its not so much the extra $60 round trip to the lake, It's the extra $250 a month I spend on fuel at home everyday.
yes yes... that is the bitch of it all, the more money it costs to drive to work..... not the expense for fun... but when you pay through the nose for gas just to go to work.... I think that is what sucks... not the cost of gas for toys.... the cost for driving to work kills the funds that should go to fun.... :cry:

2Driver
07-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Not you Mark... gas was cheap back then! ;)
Not going to let me live that down, are you?
So, how was Bartlett?
It too good of a comic material to let go :rollside:
The new trailer tires didn't come in and since I lost one Goodyear on the 4th we all ended up furniture shopping which is my 2nd favorite thing to do behind doing my taxes. Remodel the house, now it needs new furniture when's it end. :cry:

Devil's Advocate
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes it has....giving us another reason to drink more at the lake :crossx:

I DIG IT !
07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
It still hurts a bit. But I wouldn't give it up for anything. Boating and going fast and crashing some big waves is my drug of choice!! :) I'm just glad that I only have a single screw. I dont think that I could afford twins!!! A long day at the lake is about 150 to 200 bucks truck and boat. But we all didnt choose this hobbie to save any money. I think that I'm doing pritty good for what some of you guys spend :rollside:

Perfect Mixer
07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I'll get back to you when I get the gas card bills from the Shasta lake trip.

HMF'er
07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Being one who tracks every penny spent in the household, I found the most expensive part of my trip is the fuel cost getting there and back. Thus, I now take longer trips! Its cheap to be @ the river.

Magic34
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Luckily, I have been too busy to really use the boat a lot to get pissed at gas prices, but I would if I was really watching. Fuel can do whatever it wants right now, I'm still stoked my 4500 Kodiak was sold.
Now, current airfare is out of control. The airlines parked a bunch of planes out in the desert, lowering supply and demand has remained the same and airfare has gone up bigtime. Average ticket for me used to be $225-$250 and now it is pushing $500+.
They could only lose billions for so long and the airfare game isn't going to change anytime soon.

riverbound
07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
It really hasnt affected me too much. I have changed some of my other spending habbits to compensate for it. But I have made many more trips this year than I have the previous years.

Hardly Satisfied
07-13-2006, 01:46 AM
It sucks having to pay more this year

Kilrtoy
07-13-2006, 02:16 AM
When I bought my boat in Feb 05, super was 1.98 a gallon and the wife had a very good job
today we were paying as much as 3.40 a gallon and the wife has no job, HELL YEAH it has changed... we slowed down and dont visit Moabi as much

axkiker
07-13-2006, 04:43 AM
http://www.ethanolstill.com/index.html

yeah,right
07-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Hasn't changed at all, but I only make it out three or four times a year anyhow.

bite me
07-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Can't put a price on FUN, I have used my boat more this year than others and will continue to do so.

me4drvr
07-13-2006, 08:08 AM
I got dinged on a charter fishing trip that we have planned in September... after I posted yesterday, my fax rings about an hour later from the fishing charter and said they have to add $200 to our fishing trip for a fuel surcharge. Which still isn't bad considering that boat is running for 18 hours straight... Now if I don't come back with a sack full of bluefin and yellowtail, I might have something to bitch at. :crossx:

SLOWMAN
05-02-2008, 09:21 PM
How many of you have changed your boating style or have cut down your trips to the river since the cost of gas is now $3.00 plus per/gallon? Consider both your tow vehicle fuel consumption and boat's fuel consumption.
I'm going to bring this thread back again. It's 2 years later now, and gas is about $4.00/gal. 30% more than it was back in 2006. How many of us will change our boating style this year? In 2002, diesel was $1.62/gal I would spend $81.00 round trip for fuel to get to the river. Today at $4.44/gal it cost $222.00. Look at this, 2 years ago commuting fuel cost was ~$250.00/month, it's now ~$650.00/month. You have to make an additional $4,800/year net just to cover the commuting fuel cost. You have to make an additional ~$7,000.00 per year gross just to cover the commuting fuel cost.
So who's got extra money to get to the river? 80 gallons of gas into a boat is another $320.00 assuming $4.00/gal.
Just want to know what everyone else is doing.......

The Jerk
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Very good thread to bring back to life.. I think im headed to the sac river sunday to run the boat first time since last year. I drive an 88 accord 70 miles round trip to work and back and that sucks as it is as 30mpg. My Dodge just sits @ 4.40 a gal for Dsl.
To the river and back to my house will be 100+ mile trip. Guessing a 1/4 tank of Dsl but I will fill it up from only have a 1/4 tank left. So say 90-100$$$$
Boat will take 18-20 gal of 3.90/gal 75 bucks.
So Sunday im looking at 200.00 for fueling and food etc.... launching.. Granted It wont be 200 each time out. Probably use half of the boats gas tooling around. But still. Life will be a little different this year with hobbies. Maybe more moto x. or walking the 100 yards to the consumnes river by my house with an inner tube.. Ugggg....

Riomouse911
05-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I posted in another thread that I slowed down my towing speed from 70-75 to about 60-62 from Norco to Moabi. I figured I saved 10 gallons of diesel each way based on the fuel left in the tank when I pulled in. at $4.40 a gallon, that's about 88 bucks, and it added about an hour to the trip each way.
It's about 285-300 bucks each weekend we go out for fuel for the rig and toys...

plaster dave
05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I posted in another thread that I slowed down my towing speed from 70-75 to about 60-62 from Norco to Moabi. I figured I saved 10 gallons of diesel each way based on the fuel left in the tank when I pulled in. at $4.40 a gallon, that's about 88 bucks, and it added about an hour to the trip each way.
It's about 285-300 bucks each weekend we go out for fuel for the rig and toys...
It's funny you said this. I was thinking of this the other day. I'm going to try it. thx

YldBoyz
05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I feel everyones pain, just last year my wife and I were trying to get away from paying for to much gas. We now leave the RV in Parker for the entire summer. I only have to drive it1 time roundtrip. This has really helped the bill fold.
For those who struggle even more, buy more beer and hang at the sand bars longer. Bite Me has a good quote "Can't put a price on FUN", my kids, it's for my kids, when they're happy I'm happy.

riverracerx
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Problem is it is not going to get any better. Prices will just keep going up until we can't even afford to drive to work....
I need to work from home.

hoolign
05-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Problem is it is not going to get any better. Prices will just keep going up until we can't even afford to drive to work....
You need to be able to charge mileage with a minimum charge.
We're in the process of renewing our contract from 1.00 a KM with a 100km minumum to 200km/ day minimum with 1.75 a km. We have been paying over a buck a liter for a long time.:mad:

Tremor Therapy
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I have given this a lot of thought lately. On different days I come up with different answers, and it really hits hard when I actually do the math! :idea:
I used to tow the boat from home, and it would cost me about $100-$125 each way depending on my heavy foot and any wind. Now I store it for $125 per month, and 1 tank full will get me to Havasu, but a tank full has gone from $55 to over $95.
The first time I filled the boat with 92, it cost me $150, now the same fill up will be $315. The hotel bill has changed a bit, and the food and drink bill has increased about 25%. So when I add it all up, each trip is costing me at least $600 more per trip. So what used to be $1100-$1200 per trip is now running between $1600-1800 per trip! This does not include the 6-7 months worth of rent and boat payments when the boat is not used (over $3500). :eek:
Now I agree with many, that you can't put a price on fun, but the amount of fun per $$ is starting to get damn pricey! As I told my wife, our boating outlay before any vacations is over $500/mo, and when you try and get in at least 4 trips a season, it takes at least $1100/mo in savings to fund this activity. :(
Now I don't have the answer for anyone else, as I am battling over this issue myself. But I do know 1 thing, I haven't been to the 'Zoo since last September, and I am Jonesing big time. Once I get there, the point may be moot....but I must say that for the first time, I am thinking more about the $$ outlay than I am about the trip! :(

JMC
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Im already there. $700 a month for gas just to get me to work and back. A lot of businesses are suffering and will continue while people have to cut back. If you are not having to cut back from decreased business you are either lucky or working 5 times as hard. I think seeing a lot of great boats priced right sitting in the classified section for almost 2 years tell the tale. Lets be honest, I sure as hell wouldnt want to have to sell a boat right now.

Wake Havasu
05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Any that says it's not an issue is full of it.
It means less for other things.
I keep my boat at Parker. It's cheaper than towing it.
The adnl monies I spend on gas is that much less I shall spend in Havi shops.

1RVRRNR
05-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Think about it! We bought Hot Boats to enjoy, Life is way too short to worry about gas $$ we play, we pay life goes on.

thatguy
05-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Um.......gas prices are up?
Don't worry about it, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
I plan on doing even more boating than last year. Of course, the kids will be dropping out of college. Sucks to be them.
Tommy