PDA

View Full Version : Who Has And Loves Single Axle Trailers

taxman
07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
I think they are so much easier to use and when I put mine in the water it floats plus you can clean the sides of the boat when its on the trailer. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
07-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I've wanted to ask this for the longest time... why would you want your trailer to float???
For the record, if my boat wasn't so heavy, it would be on a single axle. They're just to easy to move around by hand in the yard or the garage.

olbiezer
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
i agree single axel would be the way to go for manuvering around the garage etc but...........on the road and for the weight of my boat duel axel is the way to go......it never even wonders around at 80mph on the interstate........single axel will be trying to pass ya the whole way....... :220v:

BadBahner
07-12-2006, 04:47 PM
it never even wonders around at 80mph on the interstate
I hate when I see people driving 80 while towing. Usually it is a sea-doo owner and that might be expected but a boat owner...? People that tow at 80 are not only risking their own life but the others lives around them on the freeway. Shame... :rolleyes:
Eric

SmokinLowriderSS
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I hate when I see people driving 80 while towing. Usually it is a sea-doo owner and that might be expected but a boat owner...? People that tow at 80 are not only risking their own life but the others lives around them on the freeway. Shame... :rolleyes:
Eric
I see your point, but (the usual "but"), my Taylor on her orriginal single axle trailer tracks as straight as if it was on rails, and NEVER has tried to weave, waver, OR pass me at 70, 75, or 80 mph. It tows like it isn't there. At roughly 2,000 pounds, I don't have enough weight to justify a tandem axel, not by at least 1,000 pounds.

Screemy1
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Eric
but they are on the water first................. :rolleyes:

AngryJosh
07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I hate when I see people driving 80 while towing. Usually it is a sea-doo owner and that might be expected but a boat owner...? People that tow at 80 are not only risking their own life but the others lives around them on the freeway. Shame...
Oh god...here we go; theres always one....
Shame on you for highjacking his thread with nothing good to say :notam:

BadBahner
07-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh god...here we go; theres always one....
Shame on you for highjacking his thread with nothing good to say :notam:
No wonder you are angry...

El Prosecutor
07-12-2006, 05:21 PM
I have a single axle trailer and like the maneuverability, but have never towed a dual axle so can't really compare. I DON'T like the fact that the trailer does not have brakes, and do occasionally worry what would happen if I ever had a blowout.
As far as the 80 mph thing I am with BadBahner. We have a family friend in a wheelchair from his trailer getting squirrely and taking him off road while going too fast. I know we are a bunch of real men who don't like to be told what to do (including me) but BB's comment wasn't really too far off topic IMHO.
Take BB's advice or leave it, but there is no reason to be offended; he apparently just doesn't want his friends on HB to kill themselves on the way to the lake. I am down with that.

BigDoug
07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I second that, life is too short :)

BadBahner
07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I have a single axle trailer and like the maneuverability, but have never towed a dual axle so can't really compare. I DON'T like the fact that the trailer does not have brakes, and do occasionally worry what would happen if I ever had a blowout.
As far as the 80 mph thing I am with BadBahner. We have a family friend in a wheelchair from his trailer getting squirrely and taking him off road while going too fast. I know we are a bunch of real men who don't like to be told what to do (including me) but BB's comment wasn't really too far off topic IMHO.
Take BB's advice or leave it, but there is no reason to be offended; he apparently just doesn't want his friends on HB to kill themselves on the way to the lake. I am down with that.
Thanks El P. I am not trying to hijack the tread btw. I have owned both single and tandem trailers and I like the tandem because I think they are a safer more stable towing platform. They have drawbacks though... difficult manuevering by hand, more expensive to replace tires and heavier to name a few. I just like the saftey factor and you can limp a tandem along even with a flat. I have had to use a tiedown to hold the axle up when my brake drum burned up and rendered the wheel useless.

AngryJosh
07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
:cool: :cool: I dont think 80s to fast, but it is the upper spectrum of what would be considered safe. I'll go with borderline, but bahnerboy better not act like hes never crossed the 80 mph threshhold when passing someone or just cruising along and realizing how fast hes going. I know for a fact we all live in glass houses, so stop throwing rocks!
And I agree about being able to strap up an axle if you weld a bearing to the axle or dont have a spare. Tandem for me

BadBahner
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
:cool: :cool: I dont think 80s to fast, but it is the upper spectrum of what would be considered safe. I'll go with borderline, but bahnerboy better not act like hes never crossed the 80 mph threshhold when passing someone or just cruising along and realizing how fast hes going. I know for a fact we all live in glass houses, so stop throwing rocks!
I can say I have never towed at 80 mph or above. If I even go 65 when towing that would be rare. I would rather arrive alive a few minutes later than be dead because I was in too much of a hurry. My first career (EMT ret.) had me scraping up idiots off the street all the time and speed was consistantly a factor in why they died and killed others.
As in your case AngryJosh, I am sure you are a very skilled and capable driver and if you were alone on a perfect road then 80 is probably not dangerous... but you are not alone and most people on the road are not skilled and the roads are not perfect. I just hope you don't kill anyone...
BahnerBoy

squirt'nmyload
07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
mine is a single axle and it tows fine behind my denali.(18ft wriedt maverick) i can't even tell its there. and i'll admit i've had it well over 80 on these strait azz arizona highways.

AngryJosh
07-12-2006, 05:57 PM
OK thanks...

malcolm
07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a single and like the way it pulls and backs around corners without scrubbing the tires. I too have NO idea why you'd want your trailer to float.

QuickJet
07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I perfer dual axel if for nothing else the looks.
I love the trailer on K-50!!!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/autobody9/delete153.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok guys, I tried my damness to stay out of this thread BUT I think a single axle trailer is much easier to muscle around but I personally won't own one. If you are going any speed about 50 mph and blow a tire, especially in a turn. You have a very unsafe package to stop. Just ask anybody that's lost a tire in this situation. It's a real handful!!! My boats are worth way more to me. If you blow a tamdem axle tire, the trailer will still stop straight. Then you chain the bad axle up and drive home on 3. trust me, I'd like to buy 2 tires only. But my boat is woth more than that!!!!! Budlight

skipr
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Budlight, Makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about converting mine to tamdem, does anyone know of a kit I can buy to do this? Any info would be great.
Thanks, Steve

moneysucker
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
I will never have a single axle trailer again. I had one in the day and had a bearing fail on me, leaving me stuck for an extra day at the river but not on the water. I also experienced the whole flat tire issue. I have however, towed a trailer with only 3 tires. I bought a boat with only 3 wheels before. I do have a set of eagle alloys with Low Pro tires that will be perfect for a single axle trailer. they are even directional. Cheap. $50 gets them. Come pick them up.

maxwedge
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I agree the dual axle tows better and looks better and is safer, so if anyone wants to trade me a dual axle for my single axle Shorelander POS, step right up.

olbiezer
07-12-2006, 06:55 PM
hey guy i guesss u dont know that the speed limit in west tex and nm is 80 on the interstate......so next time i will wear a helmet while driving so i wont hurt you as i blow by lol give it up :220v:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Budlight, Makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking about converting mine to tamdem, does anyone know of a kit I can buy to do this? Any info would be great.
Thanks, Steve
Steve, Nobody makes a kit that I know of. Budlight

BadBahner
07-12-2006, 07:37 PM
hey guy i guesss u dont know that the speed limit in west tex and nm is 80 on the interstate......so next time i will wear a helmet while driving so i wont hurt you as i blow by lol give it up :220v:
I am very aware of the recent speed law change in West Texas. I never said anything about the legal aspect of going 80 with a trailer. I was merely referring to the common sense aspect of going 80 with a trailer. Just because the government allows something does not make it safe. Look at cigarettes and agent orange. I suppose you probably smoke though so moot point.
Common sense tells me pulling a trailer that fast is not very smart. I am glad you don't drive the roads near me. I drive 10k+ per year just back and forth to the river and I have seen or come upon many accidents with boats being towed too fast.
There was a guy about a year ago on the board that had a blow out in an suv and crashed driving home from Havi and he almost killed his own child. He was not even towing.
I guess I will have to think about it in a positive way... this your way of helping the gene pool.
BadBahner

taxman
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Well this thread has turned into some fine reading. I am going to the lake tomorrow at 5:00 am and I am going to do 185mph all the way and also in the turns I will try to power slide it. :cry: I just thought it was cool how easy they are to move around and pull out of the water!!!! Thanks for all the driving tips and dangers of the single axle way of life....... :yuk:

olbiezer
07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
we can make it 3 trucks wide i want in also and with any luck badbahaner the traffic cop will give is all a ticket
:crossx: :crossx:

W.O.T
07-12-2006, 10:54 PM
i have owned both single and double axle trailers. the single is easier to move around the driveway by hand, but what matters the most is the few hundred miles i drive to the river. at a safe towing speed i think the single is ok. double axle trailers just ride and handle much better. i hated hitting a pothole with the single axle and seeing the boat bounce around. or having the truck jerk up and down like the trailer is a teeter totter. i think a double is the way to go better peace of mind while driving and they really do trailer much better way easier driving. in my opinion they are worth the extra tires/maintance. i wouldnt own another single

DelawareDave
07-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Here is my single axle trailer! :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3062Trailer2.JPG

SmokinLowriderSS
07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks, Steve
You're in for a lot of welding, custom fitting, and the 2 axels better not only be perfectly paralell, the rear one better be as perfectly square with the pull-line axis of the trailer as the front one, or you'll chew up tires like mad and it can get squirley on it's own.

Cheap Thrills
07-13-2006, 03:32 AM
16' Tahiti on a Single axle trailer I'm at 80mph before I come out of second gear. Get out of my goddamn way I'm goin to the lake. :D
C.T. :wink:

Wicked Performance Boats
07-13-2006, 04:40 AM
Alot of BS flowing in this thread. You don't like towing over 80....don't. You don't like single axle trailers....... don't buy one. Don't lay the single axle is unsafe in corners or wobbles all over over 5 mph or blows a tire crap. Maintain your shit and if you can't drive stay at home cause you will be in the way.... :cool:
Most of us have a heavier boat than u canucks! I guess if your towing a beer can boat you only need a single axle trailer!! BL

SmokinLowriderSS
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
There was a guy about a year ago on the board that had a blow out in an suv and crashed driving home from Havi and he almost killed his own child. He was not even towing.
I guess I will have to think about it in a positive way... this your way of helping the gene pool.
BadBahner
I had a blowout, of a FRONT tire, on my pickup truck, a few weeks ago, at 75mph, on the interstate, Northbound on the way home after work. I said "Damn", hit the brakes (properly), slowed while changing lanes to the shoulder, stopped, and changed a tire. No "near crash", not even a waver or swing sideways, even from a FRONT tire, at highway speeds. It is a half-ton pickup, full-size, no ABS, lightweight rear end, heavy nose from small-block V-8 iron, all the reasons I ought to have crashed according to conventional wisdom.
The tire was on a used vehicle recently new to me and had a several month history of a slow leak which I suspect was a belt slowly delaminating that I was still unable to identify. They have to get a pretty severe twist to show up on the carcas tread. The tire was properly inflated 13 min earlier leaving work.
I don't know the guy on the board you are refering to but:
Some idiots cannot drive well enough to operate a motor vehicle safely under GOOD conditions, without a trailer. I see them all the time here. Some of us have learned how to deal with adverse conditions including rain, snow, ICE (more common in central Ks than snow), fog, and tire failure.
As far as the trailers go, if it is designed properly, built correctly (meaning DEAD SQUARE TO THE TOW VEHICLE LINE, AXLES PERPENDICULAR TO THE HITCH), AND LOADED PROPERLY (60% of the weight loaded foreward of the axle center, it will tow perfectly fine, dead straight, no weaving, wobbling, staggered follow, or any other "antics", regardless of the number of axles installed.
Set the axles crooked on a tandem, or a tripple for that matter, and it will pull crooked. Load it improperly weighed on the hitch, and it will weave arround and pull the tow vehicle arround, regardless of how many axles it has. The faster you go, the worse it will be.
A high-sided boat in a crosswind, will generate it's own problems. My mother towed dad's old Sea-Ray precisely once, in Nevada, on a trip to Mead in the '70's. After she nearly flipped the truck/camper AND THE !8' BOAT stupidly fighting against the weave induced by the crosswind (amplifying it every time), she was barred from towing (I refer here to one of the "idiots" I spoke of earlier). Dad saved it from the passenger seat and then made her stop. He drove on. The tall boats in a cross-wind need tow vehicle DRIVING SKILLS, never drive over your skills. If your skills say 50mph is the max, fine, no quarrel, but do try to stay off the 70mph interstates. You become a hazzard to the rest of the traffic (that's the reason for the minimum speed limits).
Lowrider's low silhouette doesn't cause so much as a blip on the highway, even with crosswinds that warn semi's off the roads. It helps that her trailer is nearly 2' wider than my full-size mid-90's truck.
Finally, this year, Lowrider's trailer has a spare, the first time in 28 years. I still keep an eye on her tires, but I sweat less. 2 years ago replaced both due to a crack in 1 sidewall. The other had only minor weather checking and is the spare. have never blown one on the highway. I run passenger car tires tho, on proper rims, not the skinny trailer tires I see on so many trailers that seem to have trouble on a regular basis. On other boards I venture to, I have seen some serious trailer tire trouble stories including a guy who trailered his NEW boat home, about 800 miles, and blew all 4 NEW tires between home and the factory at various places along the way. Good thing he was experienced (upgrade boat so not first or seccond) and took 2 spares with him, he needed them.

centerhill condor
07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
30 years ago we had a single axle trailer and pulled with the trusted station wagon (lowered SUV for youngsters) and was yanked all over the road. The condor rides on four wheels and tows like it isn't there. I did learn about takin' it easy and enjoying the trip with a nice breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think the low profile and center of gravity makes a big difference. The condor lives on the lift at the marina so it really doesn't get much trailer time. Highly recommend the slip/lift system! Now I'm the only one that knows I can't back down the ramp!

maxwedge
07-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Funny thing, on my way home today, I passed a new looking tandem axle trailer with a 27ft or so, new looking Rinker Captiva on it... sitting on the side of I-74 today all by itself with a jack under the side that was missing both wheels. So much for that spare tire theory. :crossx:

WannabeRacing
07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Too many variables.. Mostly who built the trailer and set it up. My favorite trailer ever was a single axle. The thing will ride nicer, straighter, and tow with absolute perfection. Towed better than the other double axle deals I owned at the time. But towed single axle trailers that were absolutely awful.
But no matter how many wheels there are, set the thing up right and keep on top of your equipment. Make sure everything is square, and keep good bearings and rubber on it.

Sleek-Jet
07-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I've had a blow out with both single and tandem axle trailers... you know what?? They both behaved the same.
The single axle tire failed going around a corner, and it was the outside tire. There was a "BANG!!", a "WTF was that" from me, and nothing much else happened. The trailer didn't whip around or pull us all over the road. I had picked up a screw somewhere and it allowed a slow leak. The tire seperated do to the heat build up...
On the other hand, I had a v-drive with a tandem axle trailer and it was the worst pulling trailer I've ever had. I felt every little bump in the road, and it weeble wobbled it's way down the lane behind the truck...
A properly built and weighted trailer will pull the same no matter how many axles are under it, as long as it's adequate for the load being towed. IMHO.

AZKC
07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
16' Tahiti on a Single axle trailer I'm at 80mph before I come out of second gear. Get out of my goddamn way I'm goin to the lake. :D
Thats just dam funny :crossx: And the Avatar just makes it even funnier.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar6924_1.gif

bergen
07-13-2006, 05:23 PM
i have a tandem axle trailer, i tow my sanger hydro @ 75mph to 85 mph all the time, what matters is trailer tires and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS,
what kind of tow rig, any 1 that tows with a 3/4 ton or higher knows what i'm talking about, most people that tow with a 1/2 ton rig of course they are going to say it is unsafe, for those who choose to tow with the 1/2 ton rig
step up to a real tow rig then come talk to me about safety, bergen

n8dawg
07-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I currently have a 19' boat on a tandem axle trailer. It's really stable at high speeds but if my boat was a single I wouldn't have any problems with that. It's whatever comes with the boat, is what I'm pulling at 55,65,75 mph!!!!!!!

AzMandella
07-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Single axle or double,both if well built and proper weight distibution can be made to tow just as nice as each other.But the tandem will handle rough roads and pot holes much more smoothly.They control the bounce and hop much better than a single hands down.

beerjet
07-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I perfer dual axel if for nothing else the looks.
I love the trailer on K-50!!!
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/autobody9/delete153.jpg
I'm with quick on this . I like the dual and the k-50's trailer is one I would love to have . Maybe this winter.

Sleek-Jet
07-13-2006, 09:07 PM
i have a tandem axle trailer, i tow my sanger hydro @ 75mph to 85 mph all the time, what matters is trailer tires and the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS,
what kind of tow rig, any 1 that tows with a 3/4 ton or higher knows what i'm talking about, most people that tow with a 1/2 ton rig of course they are going to say it is unsafe, for those who choose to tow with the 1/2 ton rig
step up to a real tow rig then come talk to me about safety, bergen
I have no idea what the fock you are talking about. I've pulled boats that I'm able to afford to buy and run (18 - 21 foot jet boats) with both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pick-ups... I can tell no difference. At no time am I even close to the gross vehicle or combined weight in a 1/2 ton.
So I'm unsafe??? Please... you towing 85 mph is no more safe or unsafe than me pulling my boat around with a 1/2 ton truck.

Paulie
07-14-2006, 07:44 PM
I second that, life is too short :)exactly life is too shord.... to drive slow I usually drive 10mph over the limit so in az that is 80 I think you guys have it all wrong you just need to speed in moderation
:)

Wicked Performance Boats
07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
I've had a blow out with both single and tandem axle trailers... you know what?? They both behaved the same.
The single axle tire failed going around a corner, and it was the outside tire. There was a "BANG!!", a "WTF was that" from me, and nothing much else happened. The trailer didn't whip around or pull us all over the road. I had picked up a screw somewhere and it allowed a slow leak. The tire seperated do to the heat build up...
On the other hand, I had a v-drive with a tandem axle trailer and it was the worst pulling trailer I've ever had. I felt every little bump in the road, and it weeble wobbled it's way down the lane behind the truck...
A properly built and weighted trailer will pull the same no matter how many axles are under it, as long as it's adequate for the load being towed. IMHO.
The single axle, outside tire failed!!!!!! I've never seen a single axle dual tire trailer. do you tow it behind a 1 ton duallly? Bl

Danhercules
07-19-2006, 08:22 PM
I've wanted to ask this for the longest time... why would you want your trailer to float???
Its nice when there are crappy ramps or no ramps at all.
When the ramp is too steep, its dose not matter. The trailer will float. If there is a drop off, it dose not matter. At telephone cove I can launch where no one else can, in the pot holes, cause it dose not matter, my trailer floats.
The only down side is if there is a bad current. Then it looks like a rookie backed you in!!! LOL

CPdream'n
07-19-2006, 09:03 PM
The rig you are towing with will mater when you get in a bad situation.If you are towing a heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton truck and blow a tire going around a corner it would be possable that the trailer would pull you off the road. If you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, it will be heavy enough so that the trailer will not pull you off the road. You can pull a boat with a fricken Honda in a streight line just fine. The question is, what will happen if you come up on a blinde corner and you tow rig is not heavy enough to keep your set up on the road. I tow a 19 foot CP on a dual axle trailer. My truck is a 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. I wouldnt feel safe towing with anything less. A 1/2 ton would tow it just fine but I would not feel nearly as safe. No matter what I run into my boat will not pull my truck anywhere I dont want the truck to go. Just my opinion. I have blown a tire on a dual axle trailer, just chain up the axle and move on.

Scoobinator
07-20-2006, 02:09 AM
I have a dual axle trailer and it has fiberglass fenders and it floats in the water if I go to deep at the boat launch

Sleek-Jet
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
The single axle, outside tire failed!!!!!! I've never seen a single axle dual tire trailer. do you tow it behind a 1 ton duallly? Bl
The tire on the outside of the corner... sorry if that wasn't clear...
I think wheel base of the tow vehicle plays more of roll in stability during an emergency with the size of boats we pull around. An 18 foot boat behind a crew cab long bed has more of an arm to overcome than if it was behind a regular cab short bed...

Cheap Thrills
07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Thats just dam funny :crossx: And the Avatar just makes it even funnier.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar6924_1.gif
:D :D And it's the truth too :p people behind me scatter when the leaves , sticks ,orange life vest and water wings start flying out .