PDA

View Full Version : Set up questions (motor placement, V-drive location)

QuickJet
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
A friend of mine just bought a t-deck runner. The motor is in @ 33 and 3/4 from the transom and the V-drive is in @ 87" from transom. I was told that 36"-96" was optimum. What are the adverse effects of a 600 hp engine in the boat set up this way? He would like to take it out for the remainder of the summer and then set everything up over the winter. Is this thing going to porpuose like crazy or will it take alot of pedal to drive?
Input is greatly appreciated

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
the V-drive is in @ 87" from transom. I was told that 36"-96" was optimum.
Wow, 36"-96"??? that's a humongus difference there!.. Anyhow, the v-drive goes at the end of the propshaft, and what determines that is the angle, depth and location of the strut, once that is determined and the strut installed accordingly, you run the shaft up thru the floor and that's where the v-drive goes!... I'm not into runners so I will not even begin to try and give you numbers on that... I'm sure someone on here that knows the scoop will chime in and set you straight on it though!..

QuickJet
07-12-2006, 07:54 PM
The 36" is the measurment from inside of transome to the first engine plate. The 96" is from inside the transom to the V-drive.

Fiat48
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
95 to 96 is generally the v drive placement in Coles, Canyons and Hondo runners I have seen. I have seen a few Dimarco's at same locations.
Motor locations are generally 34 to 35...with 36 being about a max I have seen.
How far is the strut barrell end to the end of the cavitation plate?
Should be 25 to 26 on a unblown boat.

Marty Gras
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Too many variables here. What kind of strut puts the V-drive at 87"? Bronze? Most 'runner bottoms" have a strut recess, so what kind (brand, year, depth, model) hull is it? Some of the older Hondos ran a 12 degree gearbox (9 in the strut) and the motor up high and forward, hitting your helmet. With the motor back and the V-drive back, it will be very hard to keep the nose from going up. Moving the prop back will help, but not cure your problems. Most 5/8" and (low rocker) 7/8" hulls like 36"/96" up to 750HP. Going up on power, going forward with the gearbox (98"/100") This is for Chevy blocks, iron Hemis go 34 1/2", Small blocks go 38".

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 08:21 PM
The 36" is the measurment from inside of transome to the first engine plate. The 96" is from inside the transom to the V-drive.
Oh ok, misunderstood thought you meant difference in v-drive location, my bad!.. :hammerhea

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
95 to 96 is generally the v drive placement in Coles, Canyons and Hondo runners I have seen. I have seen a few Dimarco's at same locations.
Ok so you have an inch difference there, now where does that put the strut(the critical part)???. Which works the best???

Fiat48
07-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Depends on how much rocker is in the bottom of the boat. All these locations are a balancing act. Lot of guys like 26" on the strut. Further under for blown power as it keeps the nose up with big power (which wants to drive the nose in).
One thing for sure. Drive this thing like it is first with no changes.

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Depends on how much rocker is in the bottom of the boat. All these locations are a balancing act. Lot of guys like 26" on the strut. Further under for blown power as it keeps the nose up with big power (which wants to drive the nose in).
Ok that's what I thought, the "strut" is still the "main" factor!. Thought maybe I was missing something because it was a drag boat!.. :)

Fiat48
07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Example of how critical strut is. I bought a Cole that was a fuel boat. Engine 35, V drive 96, strut 27.
Could never get completly off the pedal with a blown gas motor (BBC 468). Boat would fly away. Always had to keep some plate in it. Boat also looked tail heavy. Boat had a lot of rocker in it.
Crashed it before I could fix it.

GofastRacer
07-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Example of how critical strut is. I bought a Cole that was a fuel boat. Engine 35, V drive 96, strut 27.
Could never get completly off the pedal with a blown gas motor (BBC 468). Boat would fly away. Always had to keep some plate in it. Boat also looked tail heavy.
Crashed it before I could fix it.
Gee, same as a K and an SS!.. :D

QuickJet
07-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. We're going to put his motor in it and see how it reacts. Never had to deal with strut issues and or setting up the whole combo. If the boats acts funny is there anywhere in the So Cal region he could take it to be done right.

superdave013
07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
sounds like it was set up to be a 4 seat ski boat at one time

Carnivalride
07-13-2006, 03:24 AM
A friend of mine just bought a t-deck runner. The motor is in @ 33 and 3/4 from the transom and the V-drive is in @ 87" from transom. I was told that 36"-96" was optimum. What are the adverse effects of a 600 hp engine in the boat set up this way? He would like to take it out for the remainder of the summer and then set everything up over the winter. Is this thing going to porpuose like crazy or will it take alot of pedal to drive?
Input is greatly appreciated
QuickJet,
I sent you a PM with the name of the person that helped me out. I'm real happy with how mines performing with the limited power. If give this person all your info I'd bet he'd help you too. :)
Mine is a 78 Hondo, 467 BBC, iron heads flat tappet cam single 850 over 100mph and still tweaking more out. there's a pic of one of the early GPS readings in the members picture gallery.
Warning: there will be a lot of work involved for you and your friend especially if you haven't done this sort of work before.
Loren

Marty Gras
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks Loren, I'll help him. "Fiat" "35/96/27" sounds like someone tried to 'unf#(!' a mild carb motor boat. Jerry "Hammer" Hanks (drove&rigged @ Cole) would not have rigged any blown hulls at 96". 96" is for ski boats up to 110MPH. 35" is even too far back for a Arias, and the 27" is the attempt to (wrongly) settle the bottom back in the water. I'll bet that thing just sat on the tail and climbed right out of the water. It would be dragging the tail, while trying to put the nose on the moon. All it needs is a wing and a parascope. If you "hooked a chine" you had too much diameter on the prop, and water got "heavy on one of the plates". Happy to hear that you made it thru the problems, unharmed.

Carnivalride
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Your welcome George,
Just giving credit where it's due. :) Just wish I could find the time to get back and finish playing around with gears and props. Now Trevor's playing in a little league world series tournament, baseball does it ever end??? :rolleyes: :cool:
Loren