PDA

View Full Version : Steering pulls to the right...

bulldawg art
07-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I can't figure this out. Idle out then get on it and it pulls pretty hard to the right. Had the pump gone through from the suction to the bowl. Nothing done to the nozzle. New steering cable, steering tube seal nut, and swivel. With the new cable its a lot smoother then before, but have no idea why it pulls to the right....

flat broke
07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Everything is in the boat crooked? The thrust is going to want to come straight out of the jet, so if the jet is not installed properly, what is straight to the thrustline, wont be straight to the boat.
Additionally, if the boat has a rudder or turning fin under the hull, make sure those are parallel to the thrustline and centerline of the hull as well.
Good luck,
Chris

bulldawg art
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
It went straight before I pulled the pump and had the work done. Intake wasn't touched and it has no rudder.

flat broke
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
It went straight before I pulled the pump and had the work done. Intake wasn't touched and it has no rudder.
How close of a fit were the bolt holes on the intake to suction housing flange? In a theoretical situation, if you had no transom hardware in the boat and loosened those bolts, is it conceiveable that you could have the pump bolted down cockeyed on the intake? Sounds silly, but I've seen it in one instance where the suction housing holes had been opened up for whatever reason by a previous owner. This allowed the suction housing to be shifted on the intake and if it wasn't set parallel to the centerline of the hull or perpendicular to the transom before it was tightened down, it could be a problem.
Odds are its something easier to deal with than that. Some sort of linkage bind, oring on the diverter or nozzle acting funny, so on and so forth, but I figgured I'd ask just to rule it out.
Good luck with it.
Chris

bulldawg art
07-12-2006, 09:40 PM
If I remember correctly, the holes were a nice tight fit. I will double check them. I will also take the nozzle off to see if there is something odd with it.
Thanks Chris

flat broke
07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Before you pull the nozzle off, disconnect the steering linkage and articulate the nozzle a back and forth. Note if there is resistance one way and not the other etc. While you're at it, when you re-install the steering nozzle, make sure that straight on the nozzle is connected to the steering cable with the cable is in the center of it's travel. IE, if it takes 3 turns to go lock to lock (with the cable disconnected from the nozzle) set the wheel at 1.5 turns and then use the steering cable tube adjsutment to get the end of the steering cable to line up with the tiller arm on the nozzle.
Chris

bulldawg art
07-13-2006, 06:36 AM
After re reading what I posted, I dont think I described the problem correctly. When I get on the gas the steering wheel/ nozzle goes to the right and I have to fight it to keep it straight.

El Prosecutor
07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Can you post a picture of the steering assembly from the transom out?
Maybe something in the linkage is hooked up wrong.