PDA

View Full Version : What qualities make a good vee bottom

Chipster27
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Hello all,
Since everyone probably feels their boat is the best boat and rather that start a "this boat is better than that boat" thread I'd like to know what makes a quality constructed boat.
Here's what I'm looking at:
24 foot, Vee bottom, bow rider, used on Havasu/Mead/Mojave and the river.
I was reading a thread and the author did a great job of pointing out things like full length stringers, through bolts vs screw in, double stitching vs triple stitching, etc...The only problem is that he was not clear on why one type of construction was better than the other.
Again, I'd rather not get in to brand X boat is better than brand Y, each of you bought your boats based on what was best for you.
Thanks for your help!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Checkers! :D

Essex29
07-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Hello all,
Since everyone probably feels their boat is the best boat and rather that start a "this boat is better than that boat" thread I'd like to know what makes a quality constructed boat.
Here's what I'm looking at:
24 foot, Vee bottom, bow rider, used on Havasu/Mead/Mojave and the river.
I was reading a thread and the author did a great job of pointing out things like full length stringers, through bolts vs screw in, double stitching vs triple stitching, etc...The only problem is that he was not clear on why one type of construction was better than the other.
Again, I'd rather not get in to brand X boat is better than brand Y, each of you bought your boats based on what was best for you.
Thanks for your help!
I have a nice 29 that you would love :)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Full length stringers are better as it makes for more rigidity and hull integrity on the area of the boat that will take the most beating. Thru-bolting is better when compared to just screwing stuff in as the thru-bloting is more secure. I've got a 29 open bow/cuddy cabin for sale if you are interested.

rivercrazy
07-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Those waterways are pretty rough these days between traffic and wind, especially on weekends.
I'd personally be looking at a 24 degree deadrise at the transom. Some of the variable degree bottoms handle the rough at slower speeds well (i.e. more deadrise at the bow tapering to say a 21-22 degree at the transom).
Some mfg's use full length strakes to increase lift and top speed while some end the inner strakes before the transom. The later will ride a little better and re-enter the water softer in really rough conditions.
Weight and weight distribution will also make a large difference in ride and top speed/accel. To light of a boat will not ride quite as well as something heavier. So its a little bit of a balancing act.
Layup schedule also makes a difference. Look for builders that are using 100% vinylester, not just vinylester in the first few layers of glass. Glass quality, resin to glass ratio, vaccum bagging, etc all make a difference.
Cab forward designs distribute more weight forward and put the passengers more toward the bow. Those designs ride a litttle rougher than non-cab forwards.