PDA

View Full Version : jetboat newbie

74wriedt
07-13-2006, 02:53 PM
my brother purchased a 76 wierdt with a berkley 12jc-a pump and a 460 ford the engine is out of it and i was wondering if we can go back with a nice small block chevy i have on hand? will it turn the pump properly, or we need to change impellers? i would also appreciate any experience or knowledge about jet boats,this is our first.

Some Kind Of Monster
07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
my brother purchased a 76 wierdt with a berkley 12jc-a pump and a 460 ford the engine is out of it and i was wondering if we can go back with a nice small block chevy i have on hand? will it turn the pump properly, or we need to change impellers? i would also appreciate any experience or knowledge about jet boats,this is our first.
You know what they say. There is no replacement for displacement. I have seen 350's in jets, but most agree that the larger c.i. motors are the way to go.

centerhill condor
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
the monster is right... you need the torque for maximum thrust at take off.. besides the rigging, exhaust, mounts, this and that will set you back quite a bit of change not to mention the frustration factor. this is a "dance with who brung you" kind of deal. good luck.

74wriedt
07-14-2006, 03:59 AM
thanks for the info,it is just that the 460 needs reassembled and new pistons and such. it has had machine work done just needs to be put back together. the small block is in a sterndrive running,but i get the hint. this boat hasnt ran in 15 years what do i need to check as far as the pump goes before i start putting engine back in? this boat is also going to need completely rewired and new interior,basically a hull with a pump. am i going to spend more money and time then it is worth or should we just buy another boat? i do like the looks of this one.

squirt'nmyload
07-14-2006, 07:19 AM
check where the intake is mounted on the bottom of the boat....make sure its not seperated from the epoxy. it may help to fill up the bildge with water and see if it leaks anywhere around the intake grate. i just went through this with my 74 wriegt...i had to get my intake reset

squirt'nmyload
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
if it needs it, its a good excuse to have your pump set back too!!!

74wriedt
07-15-2006, 03:22 AM
thanks,i am sure i will be needing alot of help from you guys and gals,teaching me what i need to know and saving me lots of time and money.