PDA

View Full Version : heads, holes into take port?

shaun
07-13-2006, 06:23 PM
One of my heads had plugs in these holes so i didnt really notice but my other head didnt. I assume i need to get plugs for these also but when i look through the hole i notice that it looks like somebody drilled out another hole and put some type of helicoil in it or somthing? I know i need to plug the top holes but what about the bottom ones? On both heads the bottom holes are open. I was told these heads where drilled to use extra mounting bolts/studs is that what these are?
big hole, no plug
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10316-1/ATT01733.jpg
pic down the hole, showing other threaded hole (helicoil?)
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10314-1/ATT01724.jpg
pic showing the hole from the bottom, you can see the outline around it.
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10312-1/ATT01714.jpg
any a upclose one..
http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/10318-1/ATT01705.jpg

rrrr
07-13-2006, 08:21 PM
No disrespect intended, but you seem to have a lot of basic rebuilding questions. Putting together a boat engine isn't a good "first project" if you don't have some help or at least good information from one of the excellent books out there.
Stop working, and get a copy of Big Block Chevy Marine Performance by Dennis Moore. Lotsa good theory and explanation, along with procedures and pics. You'll have a better comfort level and your engine will be happy, too.

lilrick
07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
No disrespect intended, but you seem to have a lot of basic rebuilding questions. Putting together a boat engine isn't a good "first project" if you don't have some help or at least good information from one of the excellent books out there.
Stop working, and get a copy of Big Block Chevy Marine Performance by Dennis Moore. Lotsa good theory and explanation, along with procedures and pics. You'll have a better comfort level and your engine will be happy, too.
well it's good that he is asking about this because I haven't seen this scenario before. I have no clue what that hole is all about! Keep learnin' brotha!

Red Rocket
07-13-2006, 08:38 PM
The hole was added to help seal the head gaskets in the cylinders with no head bolt in the top center.

Fiat48
07-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Yes..those holes were drilled for extra head bolts from back in the olden days. Just a pipe plug to plug them.

GofastRacer
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Shaun, I told you about those when you bought them, if you're not going to add the extra bolt holes just use pipe plugs to plug the holes on the top and grind them down flat in the port, if you want to fill the bottom holes just use Epoxy no biggie!..

lilrick
07-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Is there an echo in here??:D

rrrr
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Is there an echo in here??:D
Nah, that's Hanson over in bench racers. His echo chamber is huge. :crossx:

shaun
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Na, figured somebody would say that sooner or later. I have a 2 books i've been using right now, how to rebuild your big bigblock chevy by tom wilson and how to hotrod big-block chevys by bill fisher and bob waar. Both these books are pretty old and i know these changes. So far people like fiat48, gofastracer, steelcomp, etc have been nice enough to answer my questions and lead me in the right direction... You think these questions are basic just wait till i get into it and start asking "does this look right" for everything!!
:p

shaun
07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Shaun, I told you about those when you bought them, if you're not going to add the extra bolt holes just use pipe plugs to plug the holes on the top and grind them down flat in the port, if you want to fill the bottom holes just use Epoxy no biggie!..
Ya, i remember you telling me that, the Bob McKray (the head shop) also told me. I just hadnt looked to see where they where at yet. :)

shaun
07-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes..those holes were drilled for extra head bolts from back in the olden days. Just a pipe plug to plug them.
Should i use any silicon or locktight?

GofastRacer
07-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Should i use any silicon or locktight?
You don't have to use anything, use aluminum plugs once tightened they won't go anywhere, also it's easier to grind the aluminum down in the port instead of steel plugs!..