PDA

View Full Version : arizona taxes

dschifan
07-14-2006, 08:53 PM
i'm getting ready to purchase my new boat and it is registered in arizona. whats the difference between transfering owners compared to california in fees and tax wise? i have a house in arizona but live in california. i heard that transfering a arizona vehicle is way cheaper. anyone know? thanks

Hal
07-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Owning a house in AZ does not get you anywhere. You need to prove you are an AZ resident to get the AZ registration fees.

voodoomedman
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
i'm getting ready to purchase my new boat and it is registered in arizona. whats the difference between transfering owners compared to california in fees and tax wise? i have a house in arizona but live in california. i heard that transfering a arizona vehicle is way cheaper. anyone know? thanks
Private party sales are not taxed in az. If you buy new you will pay sales tax. As far as registration it depends on the value of your boat. Register in California and you will get billed by your county assessor a 1% property tax but registration is 10 bucks for two years. In AZ no property tax but registration costs more. I'm out of state so my registration is 2 hundred something for the year I think, but in Cal the property tax would be like 6 or 7 hundred something.

dschifan
07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
i was mainly curious about the sales tax. so since it is AZ i will pay no sales tax even though i end up with it in California?

Baller
07-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I purchased my boat in az.. 2 months old... if the boat was purchased in az. the sales tax was already pd, and you will not have to pay again if you reg in az.. if you reg in cal you will.. i reg mine in az but non resident.. no sales tax

Havasu Cig
07-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I purchased my boat in az.. 2 months old... if the boat was purchased in az. the sales tax was already pd, and you will not have to pay again if you reg in az.. if you reg in cal you will.. i reg mine in az but non resident.. no sales tax
If you show CA. that you already paid sales tax in AZ you are fine. I had this happen on one of my boats. If you register it in CA though they will come after you for the 1% unsecured property tax.
Like others have said, private party sales are not taxed in AZ, but they are in CA. You should also know that if you buy something from a dealer, or take delivery in LHC you will save almose nothing over buying it in CA. LHC has a tax they add on top of the state tax. I found this out the hard way on the last boat I owned.