PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460 Problems?

Mayhem
07-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I have a Ford 460 Hardin Marine engine that is pretty much stock. It has a 4-barrel 750 cfm carberatur that has been rebuilt and new distributer and new points and plug wires. The problem is that after running and getting warmed up when turned off it won't start back up. It takes proably a good 45 minutes to an hour to get it running again? Has this happened to anyone else and can someone give me advice. Also seems to turn over hard when trying to start. Thanks :)

squirt'nmyload
07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
i kinda had this problem with my 460.....when you try to start it after running it, does it seem to drain the battery? i had this problem while on the lake. i got towed back and put it on the trailer and hopped on my friends boat for the rest of the day. before i left to go home, i tried starting my boat it it fired right up. i changed the solenoid and replaced the starter and i havn't had a problem since

FASTRAT
07-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a Ford 460 Hardin Marine engine that is pretty much stock. It has a 4-barrel 750 cfm carberatur that has been rebuilt and new distributer and new points and plug wires. The problem is that after running and getting warmed up when turned off it won't start back up. It takes proably a good 45 minutes to an hour to get it running again? Has this happened to anyone else and can someone give me advice. Also seems to turn over hard when trying to start. Thanks :)
i'm no expert by any means, but, it sounds like u might have a vapor lock prob?...hot, muggy, high humidity weather as u have back there plays alot of tricks on motors...fuel gets hot & wont atomize to burn...ck & see if the prob exists after it cools down at nite!...hard starting could be a timing issue or a starter dragging...ck the timing & adjust 'til the starter turns over pretty fast...also ck the plugs for condition & see if they are getting good spark...these are just my suggestions & my .02 cents
fastrat

78CoLe
07-15-2006, 05:55 PM
had this prob intake gasket was bad on #8 cylinder were the water way is like a 1/4 " from intake a little water will play tricks my .02

Big Kahunaa
07-15-2006, 05:58 PM
had this prob intake gasket was bad on #8 cylinder were the water way is like a 1/4 " from intake a little water will play tricks my .02
get you'r fing boat out of my driveway

78CoLe
07-15-2006, 06:03 PM
at least you can tell your neighbors its yours

TahitiVC
07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I had a similar problem with my 460 after changing the distributor. I had the timing set a little to far advanced and it was hard to start both cold and hot. Reset the timing to about 7* and it fires right up every time.

atxwrangler
07-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I had a similar problem with my 460 after changing the distributor. I had the timing set a little to far advanced and it was hard to start both cold and hot. Reset the timing to about 7* and it fires right up every time.
THAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING I WOULD CHECK!

1968Droptop
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Had a similar problem with my boat. It was hard to start when hot. Thought I had a little too much timing in it and retarded it a bit. Problem seemed to go away. Then yesterday I couldn't get it started at all. Starter was TOAST !!! $36 and 15 minutes later, it was fixed. The old starter was in worse shape than I thought, you can hear a noticable difference in how fast the new starter turned over the motor. I put more timing back in it and it fires right up with no trouble hot or cold.