PDA

View Full Version : Met Ervin Capps today at OKC

skeeter
07-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I met Ernin Capps today at the the OKC races and folks what a wonderful and nice person this man is. I had talked to him on the phone before but never met him in person. He is so full of knowledge and shared a lot of it with me. He is a "no bullshit" kind of guy and gave me a lot of information about the tx19 hull.
I do know that he is 500 less than anybody here in okc for replacing stringers and I am sure that the job would be done right.
http://phoenixfiberglass.net/main.html
skeeter

Cs19
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
nice looking cheyanne on his site.
http://phoenixfiberglass.net/captainoval.jpg

Mike D.
07-15-2006, 05:57 PM
I met Ernin Capps today at the the OKC races and folks what a wonderful and nice person this man is. I had talked to him on the phone before but never met him in person. He is so full of knowledge and shared a lot of it with me. He is a "no bullshit" kind of guy and gave me a lot of information about the tx19 hull.
I do know that he is 500 less than anybody here in okc for replacing stringers and I am sure that the job would be done right.
skeeter
I have a 19 cp. I believe the tx19 and my boat are the same design, please tell all, I would love to here what he has to say about the hull,From what i understand the 19 was phased out of racing because of the sides of the boat produce to much lift,which cause a kitting affect. This is why the 18 was built, on the 18 they flattened out the sides and removed a foot from the back, made the boat alot more stable at high speeds. I would love to know what speeds he ran the TX-19 at & what speed does he fell it becomes unstable. Would appreciate anybodys input who has had experience with a 19 gullwing

skeeter
07-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a 19 cp. I believe the tx19 and my boat are the same design, please tell all, I would love to here what he has to say about the hull,From what i understand the 19 was phased out of racing because of the sides of the boat produce to much lift,which cause a kitting affect. This is why the 18 was built, on the 18 they flattened out the sides and removed a foot from the back, made the boat alot more stable at high speeds. I would love to know what speeds he ran the TX-19 at & what speed does he fell it becomes unstable. Would appreciate anybodys input who has had experience with a 19 gullwing
The information that I was looking for was for building a less than 500 horsepower boat that would be used for skiing and just cruising around while still being able to run 70 plus.
I talked to a couple of other tx owners out there that claimed there boat would run 100 plus on the bottle and happend to ask if it was a concern if the boat might fly at that speed and one guy "who seemed knowledgeable" mentioned that he wouldn't be concerned until after 110 plus. I am sure the hardware setup is a major issue with this concern but don't get me lying as I sure the hell don't know.
I did see a few 19's there racing today but I ended up bailing out a bit early because it was one hot b-tch outside.

Mike D.
07-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanx`s for replying , looking to find someone who has taken a 19 gullwing to its fullest capabillity and is willing to share there experience. I have found alot of folks who have the 18 gullwing running very good. I have tried a few things that makes the 18`s run and they don`t always work for the 19`s

jweeks123
07-15-2006, 11:05 PM
you need to go to the njba drag races at lake ming and watch the gull wings run there. ask the guys about the process they went through to get their boats running so well. i've found them to be helpful
jw

Cs19
07-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Mike, there is a kid out of Lost Lake that raced a 19 for years, they got it down to the low 9s in the 110 mph range.Its a little lighter than the average 19 but there is no reason why you cant get there with a little more HP than he had, which you already have.
You really should check out the races and talk with those guys who race 18's, what works there should work on your boat.Hopefully Dogballs and Sofa King Smooth bring out there 19s to race, they should be hard runners.
I personally think 110-115 is running hard in a 19 anything faster should be in an 18 or tunnell boat.Just my .02

Mike D.
07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Mike, there is a kid out of Lost Lake that raced a 19 for years, they got it down to the low 9s in the 110 mph range.Its a little lighter than the average 19 but there is no reason why you cant get there with a little more HP than he had, which you already have.
You really should check out the races and talk with those guys who race 18's, what works there should work on your boat.Hopefully Dogballs and Sofa King Smooth bring out there 19s to race, they should be hard runners.
I personally think 110-115 is running hard in a 19 anything faster should be in an 18 or tunnell boat.Just my .02
wonder if that 19 is still around,Does this guy from lost lake still race this boat, how did it handle at that speed .Thanx thats the kind of info I`m looking for, thats what I have kind of heard that 110-112 seems to be the safest top speed was just hoping to here more from people who have actual gone those speeds in a 19, I have to belive that there are alot of experinced inividuals down in the tx area where they originated

Cs19
07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Its still around. Its an all white hull with green hardware and a single carb engine, its a total sleeper.I saw it run at the races and it handled those speeds very well in my opinion, he has not raced in a few years but its on the river alot.
Ill see if I have any pics of it.
Chris.

Cs19
07-16-2006, 11:07 AM
http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/BrettCP19.jpg
Im looking for some more pics, this one sucks.

Cs19
07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409IMGP0446.JPG

Mike D.
07-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Its still around. Its an all white hull with green hardware and a single carb engine, its a total sleeper.I saw it run at the races and it handled those speeds very well in my opinion, he has not raced in a few years but its on the river alot.
Ill see if I have any pics of it.
Chris.
is it the same motor he used to race it with ?where did he get his pump work done any idea? guess I`m going to have to look for him on our part of the river. thanxs mike

MikeF
07-16-2006, 02:53 PM
is it the same motor he used to race it with ?
Likely! :)
where did he get his pump work done any idea? Right next door to the motor guy! :cool:

springerpete
07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Ervin Capps is a nice guy. His company that built TX-19s was called Condor Boats and was located in Stillwater, OK. Much of his history is on his current website. I think that the TX-19 was the only W-hull that he made production wise. The TX-18 and TX-20 were both tunnel hulls. All three of these hulls were designed by Jim Youngblood.

American Turbine Man
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
skeeter
I have know Ervin for about 30 years. You take what he says to the BANK.
ATM

bp
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
is it the same motor he used to race it with ?
yes. dne.
where did he get his pump work done any idea?
pump work, and a lot of other stuff, mpd.

Duane HTP
07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Ervin Capps built the Condor boats in Drumright Oklahoma. I bought and rigged about 40 or so of them during those years. He also built a Condor boat called the Sprint. We ran his factory sponsored boat, (Sprint), in the late 70's. Doug, our son who is no longer with us, won the Comp Jet High Points Champoinship in 1979 with this boat named Mellow Yellow. I've known and done business with Ervin for over 35 years now. He's one hell of a knowledgable guy when it comes to jet boats.