PDA

View Full Version : SeaRay questions (flamesuit on)

PHX ATC
07-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm sure I will get absolutely ripped to shreds for even thinking this, let alone asking it, but here goes.
After owning a 2000 Reinell 200LS and then a 2003 Nordic 25 Rage, we have been boatless for 2 years now and have the itch. We are more into the relaxing, chilling, not in a hurry mode now, so we've been looking at used 24 to 26 foot Sea Rays. The Sundancer series if you will.
Does anybody have any knowledge of these boats? I'm sure somebody once stepped up from a Sea Ray and could they relay their experiences with it?
We are looking at used, ranging from 1999 to 2002 model years. The reason we are looking at used is that I don't want to feel guilty about having a very expensive boat alongside the house (rotting) and then lose my bootay when I sell it. I'm not in a hurry to buy one, just browsing them now, and am paying cash (not that it makes a difference).
I know they are grossly underpowered (especially for the HBers in here). Stock these 2 models come with a 5.0L Merc. EEEEK! The ones that I am looking at have a 5.7 260hp and a 6.2L 320hp. I do know that these will not go over 45 mph, but I'm okay with that as we're enjoying the ride now!
Go ahead, my flamesuit is on...fire away. :)
If you can't find something to pick on me about the Sea Ray boat, I have 2 horses and a barn on my property that I'm sure you can bag on me about.
:rollside: :rollside:
Thanks.

dego red
07-15-2006, 06:06 PM
All that matters is that your on the water, who cares??? I always thought the '77-78 Sundancer with the venturi windshield was cool. How great would it be to re-power one of these beasts with something with a blower in the engine room, suprise alot of people....and still get to sleep over night and have a shower in the morning.
red

Debbolas
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
We had a little 19ft Sea Ray we LOVED! Had no problems with it at all. It's the boat I learned to drive on. I could take it from Park Moabi to the Sandbar to the channel, gas up and come on home. Great boat IMO. Good family boat, almost unsinkable. We were caught in a 2 gale force storm out of Cottonwood one time, ( no place to beach) with the waves washing over the bow and out the ski locker, it was hairy but we made it through.
We upgraded because our kids grew and we couldn't fit all of them in the bow anymore....:D
Watch out for their salesmen......I had one try to sell me one "new" with 20 hours on it, he said that was just a "day at the lake" :rolleyes:
(I kinda miss my Sea Ray, I would be WAY more comfy driving it around than our 26ft Kachina, I know, I just have to get use to it) :rolleyes:

Dusty Times
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
You need my 38' Donzi
You can cruise at a good speed and then pull over, turn on the gen, a/c, take shower (hot or cold), cook dinner and then take your nap. It's like a motor home on water with twin 500 efi's. I know it's more your style.

ThongMagnet
07-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Colbalt or Searay are my top picks for the family conservative cruiser. They are not cheap, but easy to get parts, since they are production boats, and usually 2-3 color schemes to choise from.
If its not been in the saltwater, they will last for a long time...if stored inside...fore ever.
In todays market, I'd look for used (3-4 years), low hours, and just take it in and have it detailed and serviced when you buy it. When your looking at a 24-26 searay, look also at what is needed to tow it. That is a heavy boat/trailer. 3/4 ton truck and big block a must.
:crossx: PS: this is not a pastie boat :) :) :) :idea:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
07-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Get a newer 28 with twin 350's and a trailer and life will be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawbreaker2
07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
All that matters is that your on the water, who cares??? I always thought the '77-78 Sundancer with the venturi windshield was cool. How great would it be to re-power one of these beasts with something with a blower in the engine room, suprise alot of people....and still get to sleep over night and have a shower in the morning.
red
:rolleyes: Now you give a great Idea, but to bad my dad just sold his last week a 1979 sundancer for $3500, I was thinking about buying it, but I don't know, we love that boat and it took on the big rollers we have here on erie just fine, I know coming back from put-n-bay that thing be going it nose first into the waves (7-10 footers) and that was hairy :2purples: but fun.

lawbreaker2
07-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh by the way, Hi ATC :wink: I still have your # somewhere, so If I get out that way, I'll give you a holla, May be taking a new job out there soon. later :D

Playbuoy
07-15-2006, 07:39 PM
(I kinda miss my Sea Ray, I would be WAY more comfy driving it around than our 26ft Kachina, I know, I just have to get use to it) :rolleyes:
Your Kachina runs? I thought you guys just floated down Mojave for fun? ;)

Jyruiz
07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
You might also want to take a look at Cronwlines, very well built boats that are always highly rated.

Outnumbered
07-16-2006, 12:11 AM
My vote would be for Cobalt :wink: ......
JD Power 2006....
Large runabout segment (20 to 29 feet)
Cobalt ranks highest in the large runabout segment for a fifth consecutive time. Cobalt leads the segment by a wide margin, receiving the highest ratings in all seven feature categories. Regal, Crownline, Sea Ray and Chaparral, respectively, follow Cobalt.
...but the Sea Ray is also a fine boat.
I have no regrets going from the Ultra to the Cobalt, it was a huge $$ saver for us. But I can tell you that there is no way I would pay the $70k price tag of a new one. If I was going new I would buy another Ultra.
The Cobalt plusses are the interior layout, walk-thru transom, huge storage, head compartment, big swim step, cheap insurance, better wake-board boat, etc.
I say do it.

core attitude
07-16-2006, 01:10 AM
All these replies and not one crack about the 2 horses and a barn. Things sure have mellowed here. :)

ROZ
07-16-2006, 01:16 AM
All these replies and not one crack about the 2 horses and a barn. Things sure have mellowed here. :)
I think this late/early we all feel sorry for a guy who has to shovel a 55gal drum of s h i t every two days...
:D

core attitude
07-16-2006, 01:25 AM
I think this late/early we all feel sorry for a guy who has to shovel a 55gal drum of s h i t every two days...
You don't have to spell shit slow for me Roz, I can read.

Cole Sanger
07-16-2006, 01:34 AM
I don't know much about the Sea Rays, but I did just buy a used 1996 26.6ft Crownline. I get nothing but compliments from everyone. I basically stole it from the guy who sold it to me. Heck, a few weeks ago a guy on a brand new 25ft Sea Ray pulled up next to me and was all over my boat. I really liked his too, but the $55000.00 he paid was just too much. I only paid 19500 for mine. Good luck with whatever you find. I would bet that a hot boat is not the first boat everyone started with on here, but almost none with admit it. It's all about being on the water.

Debbolas
07-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Your Kachina runs? I thought you guys just floated down Mojave for fun? ;)
It goes without saying that we take along an extra jet ski to tow us:D
(and some smartass's to capture it all on film)
LOL ;)

lawbreaker2
07-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Cuz we had 11 horses and 2 barns and 4 55gal drums of shit a day. :rolleyes:

PHX ATC
07-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks to all.
I don't need a Donzi, although I love the lines of those boats.
Crownline builds a good boat, although I don't think they have one that would fit our latest "need"...at least in the smaller cruiser category.
lb2 - When you are in Phoenix, let me know.
Otnmbrd - I do love the Cobalts!
ROZ - I've got a shit fork with your name on it...I dare you to call next time you're in town! :rollside:
My wife has her dreams set on a cruiser, you know, aft cabin, fore cuddy cabin thingy with a small table, shower, crapper, sink and stovetop or micro, that stuff. Me, I don't care, but this whole idea of having a floating motorhome is cool with me. We are sticking in the 1999-2002 range because of the $$$. It seems that 2003 and newer really jump up in price. There's no way I would buy a new one as they are waaaay overpriced.
It would be almost exclusively used at Powell, that's where our heart is at in boating.
I do have a 3/4 ton Cummins diesel that would more than handle the towing.

Tom Brown
07-16-2006, 07:42 AM
SeaRay is probably the best boat made for transporting horses over water. :cool:

Steamin' Rice
07-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Go for it Toby.. As I'm sure you know, the best deals on boats usually come up in Oct/Dec.

Outnumbered
07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
ATC's new boat :D....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973toby.jpg
...he even set up a slalom course for his kids. :rollside:

core attitude
07-16-2006, 09:03 AM
ATC's new boat :D....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973toby.jpg
...he even set up a slalom course for his kids. :rollside:
I like the helmet..........now that is thinking, safety first........nice. :)

shockwavebd
07-16-2006, 09:12 AM
You need my 38' Donzi
You can cruise at a good speed and then pull over, turn on the gen, a/c, take shower (hot or cold), cook dinner and then take your nap. It's like a motor home on water with twin 500 efi's. I know it's more your style.
Listen to this man toby .....he knows what he's talking about......lol

Jyruiz
07-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you are looking for something like THIS (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114697&highlight=crownline)

PHX ATC
07-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Sounds like you are looking for something like THIS (http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114697&highlight=crownline)
Got any more pics of the Crownline?
We are going to look at a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, 2000 year tomorrow.
SBD - no answer...I'll continue to call, thanks for the #!

Tom Brown
07-16-2006, 02:31 PM
1.5 furlongs is a nice size boat for Havasu. :cool:

Sotally Tober
07-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I've owned 2 new SeaRays and have been very happy. I would love to have a performance boat for what i have paid for mine, but I need a windshield for the cold NW. My first one was underpowered with a 350. The one I have now I ordered it with the 496HO. They are heavy boats. My Sundeck has so much to offer in a 27' openbow, ceramic shitter(for the horses), sleeping berth, wetbar, and room for 12+ people. My dad has a 34 searay and lives on it on the weekends. They are built very well. Good luck!

riverracerx
07-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Whatever you buy, you will still be accepted by Team RRX ;)

Tom Brown
07-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Whatever you buy, you will still be accepted by Team RRX ;)
He's welcome at Team Glastron too. :cool:

Jbb
07-16-2006, 04:41 PM
He's welcome at Team Glastron too. :cool:
Yet you are so quick to mock jetboats...... :mad:

Tom Brown
07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Yet you are so quick to mock jetboats...... :mad:
I have no problem with jetboats. If they provide some sort of homoerotic satisfaction for you, be my guest. :cool:

PHX ATC
07-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Tom, you make me laugh, keep it up! :D I think you're on to me with that homoerotic thing...maybe somehow I can intermingle it with the Sea Ray cruiser boat doohickey. Oh wait, that's jetobats, nevermind! :)
I might make a "re"appearance at RRX. Someday.
Sotally Tober, thanks for the info...your's is a beauty! Horse road apples breakdown and most float, so I'm just tossing them overboard. :crossx:

Jbb
07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I have no problem with jetboats. If they provide some sort of homoerotic satisfaction for you, be my guest. :cool:
Why is it ...Brown....that you must drag every thread down to is base elements ...lol....which always seem include homoerotic satisfaction......?
Kanatard.... :p

dego red
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Why is it ...Brown....that you must drag every thread down to is base elements ...lol....which always seem include homoerotic satisfaction......?
Kanatard.... :p
'S just Tom....
red

ROZ
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
1.5 furlongs is a nice size boat for Havasu. :cool:How many hands, ,,,err, how much freeboard? :D

PHX ATC
07-16-2006, 08:14 PM
How many hands, ,,,err, how much freeboard? :D
You're killing me. :rollside:
I had 2 Karl Straus' tonight and mumbled something about a lost case of that stuff...! :cry:

ROZ
07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I had 2 Karl Straus' tonight Not my style(but JB and RR's fo sho), but you should try his beer :D

lawbreaker2
07-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Well if you get that big-o-boat the gay-ray I mean, you could always tow it up here to erie and go over to the islands( put-n-bay) and party the buckeye way. We don't have to many botcops out on erie, they all sunk. :D and they are rebuild the flats, there going to line the hole burning river with condos and take out all the bars :rolleyes: Well they did that alreadly.

Jyruiz
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Got any more pics of the Crownline?
We are going to look at a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer, 2000 year tomorrow.
SBD - no answer...I'll continue to call, thanks for the #!
I just know that boat was in the Spam section and though you should know about it, it looks like what you were describing and it is also a nice boat. You can probably ask the person who posted it though, he might have some more pics.

Gilligan
07-17-2006, 03:25 AM
Sea Rays are great boats!!

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Well Toby, lets see the new ride. Welcome back.

PHX ATC
08-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Well Toby, lets see the new ride. Welcome back.
Momma had to have that laydown spot, crapper, and fridge. Geez!
Thanks.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/228Picture_089-med.jpg

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/228Picture_089.jpg

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Cool, it's like a camper on the water. Should be a great Powell boat. Congrats.
The best part about these kind of boats is the insurance is cheap and they have tons of room.

PHX ATC
08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Bingo!
6.2L 320hp, Bravo III, halon fire stuff, vacuflush crapper (most important), fridge, water heater, blah blah blah.
Heavy SOB to tow. :220v:

Tom Brown
08-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Nice boat. Congratulations! :cool: :

Jyruiz
08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Congrats on the new boat.

PHX ATC
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks fellas! :rollside:

BigDogIvan
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Can't go wrong with a Sea Ray!!
Nice Looking Floater!!!

Sotally Tober
08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Bingo!
Looks like you are pulling it behind a stock trailer. No wonder it is so heavy!
Congrats! Very nice. The vacuflush is the shit...............collecter!

PHX ATC
08-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Looks like you are pulling it behind a stock trailer. No wonder it is so heavy!
Congrats! Very nice. The vacuflush is the shit...............collecter!
What is a better trailer? Aluminum?
Do you have pix of your trailer? Do you have other stuff on the trailer? If so, we're thinking of maybe doing the same thing in a year or 3.

Outnumbered
08-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you have pix of your trailer? Do you have other stuff on the trailer? If so, we're thinking of maybe doing the same thing in a year or 3.
I think he was referring to the live-stock trailer in the pic ;)
Don't blow any money on a new trailer. Just use it 'til you get bored and buy another one--boat that is. :)

Sotally Tober
08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
What trailer are you talking about? I was talking about the horse trailer in the pic.

CampbellCarl
08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Nice boat, congrats! Time to change your sig line.....no longer boatless!

PHX ATC
08-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Campbell Carl - nice catch, I shall change it.
Sotally Tober - my bad, I thought you meant "stock" as in factory stock, not livestock trailer. That was funny and I guess I'm too slow to pick up on that. Duh!
Never mind me, back to my hole to be quiet! :)

N2Lake
08-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Most folks don't take their boat snow skiing with them.
I'll Toby explain that. :)

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Uh, okay.
South on I-15 from Provo area and I miss UT-20 highway...check the GPS and lo and behold there's another "highway" route 143 that goes about the same place.
Long story short, it's a 1 1/2 lane loose gravel road that conveniently places a sign 13 miles back into the mountains "15 PERCENT GRADE, TRAILERS NOT RECOMMENDED." Uh, no place to turn around, so I labored on. Double blind switchbacks, pretty mountain runoff streams drizzling down the canyon walls, across the road and off into nowhere, climbs that would make you pee your pants while towing 8000 pounds of boat/trailer, oh, what fun. :rolleyes:
Brian Head, UT is where I was, a lovely ski resort. WTF! There I was, some crazy ass towing a barge up to a ski resort. I get to the top, tranny in the truck starts bucking like a bronco, so I think I'm toast. Pull into the ATV/snowski rental place and have the wicked witch of UT with a Eastern European accent. I have to use her phone to call Dodge, Dodge hangs up on me, I'm pissed, the phone cord knocks a souvenir shotglass off the shelf, I have to pay for it she screams, she ignores me for 12 minutes while "helping" a grandma who was renting 2 ATVs for her underaged grandkids, I slap a $5 bill on the table and scream "keep the ****ing change," stomp out of the building, intent on leaving tranny parts all down the side of the mountain. Tranny performed flawlessly up 2 more grades and down the other side. My blood pressure peaked out at 200/2000 as I looked at the lovely cabins nestled quaintly in the valleys alongside mountain brooks, streams, and ponds. Beautiful country, really, but all I saw was that biatch slipping and falling and slicing her wrists open on a remnant of my broken shotglass and lying there bleeding to death with nobody to help her. Ain't karma a biatch. Oh well, I can dream about that, can't I?
12+30 hours later, I was back in Queen Creek, safely at home with a great story to tell.
How many other people have towed their monster boat up to Brian Head Ski Resort at an altitude of 10000 feet?
I should have told them I was a millionaire and want to see how the boat ran down the ski slope! That would have freaked them out!

Outnumbered
08-04-2006, 07:08 AM
LMAO :D
Great story!

N2Lake
08-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Outnmbered I wanted to fly out and go on this road trip, glad I had too much work to get away after hearing about the ski resort detour.

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Outnmbered I wanted to fly out and go on this road trip, glad I had too much work to get away after hearing about the ski resort detour.
Are you kidding...we would've been holed up there for days, drunk off our ass wandering aimlessly through the woods! :)

Magic34
08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Nice boat!!!!
And Brian Head is a great spot too! :crossx:

PHX ATC
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice boat!!!!
And Brian Head is a great spot too! :crossx:
I was 2 minutes from calling you to come get the boat. :220v: Seriously. :)

OutCole'd
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Great story! Glad it all worked out & very cool boat.

ROZ
08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
That ain't the only steep grade he tows his boat up..lol..
He's the only guy I know who takes his boat on vacation with him... even when he ain't gonna use it! :D