PDA

View Full Version : Great Day in Mission Bay

Legal Chemistry
07-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Besides the lake lice all over the place... including 1) that whipped there skier nearly into my boat, 2) the one that cut 10' in front of me and 3) the last idiot who actually WHIPPED their tuber INTO the 5mph bouy.... anyho. We saw a couple-o-***boats out there (I'll have to find the other camera): a very nice HTM, Eliminator, and a DCB doing 90!!! in the bay, did a few runs with an Ultra out there (damn your fast!) Anyhow, if anyone ever ventures out in the big lake... there is fun to be had
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/jman186186/IMG_6648.jpg

Cole Sanger
07-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I used to live in PB. Three blocks from Mission Bay. Man I miss that place. Hot girls everywhere and only three blocks to the bay/nine blocks to the beach.

Sotally Tober
07-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Sound like a great time. Grew up in SD and miss it a times.

beyondhelpin
07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Used to live about a mile from the bay. Lived up close to the Costco. Used to put the Scarab in the salt quite a bit. About half the time twice a week. Fish the kelp beds once a week. Take the wife and kiddo out on the weekend. Good times! This was 7 -10 years ago. There was almost never any other hot boats out there.
Yes a Scarab can be used as a fishing boat. Filet the fish on the swim deck, kick the remains in the water for chum. The only part of a fish that ever made it in my boat was the filets on their way to the ice chest. Mmmm Mmmm good eating . :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Legal Chemistry
07-16-2006, 08:04 PM
that roost is one way to take care of the ocean lice. BTW we didn't get off the water till about 9:00pm... all the ocean creatures had the planktonic blue glow, so very cool, LOVE IT!!!!! It was great to fire up the jet at dark and see the wash come up, all the critters that had a full belly iluminated. :eat: :eat: :eat:

GB29
07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
I'll be at Mission Bay next weekend.... Are you allowed to beach your boat anywhere in mission bay and setup day camp? What's the water condition like outside of the bay?
Thanks

SUBPRIME
07-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I've asked this several times and still haven't gotten an answer... but her it goes again.
Where do you or can you flush in the SD area??? Hauled my boat all the way from HB to mission bay only to find out there is no fresh water anywhere to flush with....
I would love to start making regular trips to SD to boat but this flush thing keeps me from going do there... any help anyone?????

Legal Chemistry
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
First, thanks for resizing the pics (mods) -I can't figure that one out yet.
Yes, there are plenty of places to beach it and relax in the bay. Once you get there you'll see. As for the conditions outside the bay, it depends the time of day you go, the swell size/direction, wind, etc.
Your right about the wash-downs... I don't believe they have any at the sites. I do it at my house at the end of the day -so it sits during the day w/the salty mush on it (although I tend to go in the evening for only an hour or two at a time.) You can always smile and offer one of the residents a 10-spot for some H2O, I'm almost certain you can find a taker in the college-poor town. Better yet a few cold ones and I bet they'll help you out. good luck

tamalewagon
07-17-2006, 02:39 PM
First, thanks for resizing the pics (mods) -I can't figure that one out yet.
Yes, there are plenty of places to beach it and relax in the bay. Once you get there you'll see. As for the conditions outside the bay, it depends the time of day you go, the swell size/direction, wind, etc.
Your right about the wash-downs... I don't believe they have any at the sites. I do it at my house at the end of the day -so it sits during the day w/the salty mush on it (although I tend to go in the evening for only an hour or two at a time.) You can always smile and offer one of the residents a 10-spot for some H2O, I'm almost certain you can find a taker in the college-poor town. Better yet a few cold ones and I bet they'll help you out. good luck
Where are you at in San Diego? You ever hit San Vicente or El Cap?

Legal Chemistry
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm just east of downtown. As a matter of fact I was just at San Vin Sunday evening, it was great out there! Hopefully head back this weekend. Hit me up next time your out and we'll share a cold one... I may be there this Sunday if the honeydoo list isn't too long.

DMOORE
08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Where are you at in San Diego? You ever hit San Vicente or El Cap?
I'm also here in San Diego. San Vicente is great for sking-wake boarding. Dawn patrol is best because it tends to get blown out in the afternoon. BTW San Vicente will be closing next year for 6 years. They are going to build a new damn and increase the resivoir to about twice its current size. De Anza cove has a dump station for RV's and a hose you can use for flushing.
Darrell.

SoCalSouthpaw
08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I'll be at Mission Bay next weekend.... Are you allowed to beach your boat anywhere in mission bay and setup day camp? What's the water condition like outside of the bay?
Thanks
Pretty much can set up day camp any where. If you wanta chill spot, goto SailBay. If you want chaos, Mission Bay. Water outside the jeddy? If your avatar is your boat, you wont have too mucha prob. Otherwise, take an early morning run out. Its calmer and way worth the early wake up call. Just my .02.

ToMorrow44
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Besides the lake lice all over the place... including 1) that whipped there skier nearly into my boat, 2) the one that cut 10' in front of me and 3) the last idiot who actually WHIPPED their tuber INTO the 5mph bouy.... anyho. We saw a couple-o-***boats out there (I'll have to find the other camera): a very nice HTM, Eliminator, and a DCB doing 90!!! in the bay, did a few runs with an Ultra out there (damn your fast!) Anyhow, if anyone ever ventures out in the big lake... there is fun to be had
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l25/jman186186/IMG_6648.jpg
Yeah we were out there a couple of months ago. Fun place except its a little on the small side and you have to avoid all the lake lice as you said. No other fast boats out there when we were there though. What does the bay look like on a weekday? is it lake lice free?
BTW, cool pic, what boat & motor do you have?

Legal Chemistry
08-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Mission Bay is a bit small, but the big pacific is just around the corner. Week days in the bay are great -nobody really out there. I love when people are driving home from work on the 5 and I'm lauching the boat for an evening cruise.
I'm still looking for other places to run... Mission is too crowded and San Vin has a long wait. I'm always open to suggestions if you have 'em.
BTW, the boat is a Team Hawaiian with a Marine Power "High Performance" (upped compression) 454. I had a pic attached at one point but lost it somehow... here's an older pic.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/LegalChemistry/boat.jpg

DMOORE
08-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Mission Bay is a bit small, but the big pacific is just around the corner. Week days in the bay are great -nobody really out there. I love when people are driving home from work on the 5 and I'm lauching the boat for an evening cruise.
I'm still looking for other places to run... Mission is too crowded and San Vin has a long wait. I'm always open to suggestions if you have 'em.
BTW, the boat is a Team Hawaiian with a Marine Power "High Performance" (upped compression) 454. I had a pic attached at one point but lost it somehow... here's an older pic.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/LegalChemistry/boat.jpg
Give San Diego bay a try. Plenty of room to play . Heading south of the Coronado bridge is a PERFECT place to wring out your boat. You can run all the way down to Chula Vista, with good water and almost no boats out there. Plus there are places where you can pull in for a coffee or something to eat. There is just a lot more water to play on and nowhere near as many boats on it.
Darrell.

missspent
08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
In the late 60's and early to mid 70's, I had more fun in Mission Bay and at Over The Line Events. Kids went to Point Loma High. Don't date yourself, but I worked at KGB (booked for crimes of the day on a couple of occasions) for 8 years and KPRI for 3 years...also KCBQ for a while. If I can find my passport picture, I will post it later. My air name was Jessie Bullet. I run into a lot of ex San Diego people here in Havasu who use to listen to me back in the day. Just a retired radio guy living in Havasu now.

ROZ
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I know someone who owns a coin carwash in the area. He says boats are always comming through doing a flush and rinse down... I just can't remember where it is :D

GB29
08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I did go Mission bay that following Sunday as planned. Playground the size of a small lake, and packed with lake lice.... so I decided to run down the coast to Coronado, nice run, had to do little zig and zag to get around all sail boats. Wife and kids enjoyed it, so I know we will be going back. I even got to wash and flush my boat at the RV dump station at the ramp.There was one faucet, but I was very patient. :)

voodoomedman
08-22-2006, 08:12 AM
I just stayed Friday and Saturday night at the Hyatt Regency Islandia right there on the bay. I love the river but I could not stop looking out the window and wanting to go out and play on the bay. Looked like a lot of fun and beautiful too.