PDA

View Full Version : Blue Thong Society...If it fits...

ThongMagnet
07-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Blue Thong: If it fits, boomer babes wear it
Social club with racy name really is 'state of mind'
Kate Nolan
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 15, 2006 12:00 AM
SCOTTSDALE - It's hard to shock a woman who grew up in an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weenie, yellow polka-dot bikini, survived designer Rudi Gernreich's topless swimsuit and now lurches through the era of the thong panty.
That's probably why the San Diego women who founded the Blue Thong Society in January knew the name would fly with its target audience: baby boomer babes.
The group already has spawned 15 chapters in four states and is to debut in Arizona on Tuesdayat a Scottsdale restaurant. advertisement
The Blue Thong Society is a social club for women over 50, like the older Red Hat Society.
Comparing the two groups, however, summons up a fractious era when "the generation gap" made the cover of Time. Don't remember? Ask your parents.
Blue Thong's Scottsdale ringleader Linda Pollack said, "Being raised in the 1960s and '70s, we have different values, we have a different commitment to society. We're the women who tried to break the glass ceiling."
"Women have called me and asked, 'Do we all have to dress alike?' " referring to the red hat and purple dress that's mandatory for Red Hat events, said Pollack, 58, a substance-abuse counselor in Scottsdale.
She says Blue Thong is about individualism.
"You won't see us dressing alike. Blue Thong is in your mind. You don't have to wear it," she said.
Introduced to the Thong by a Scottsdale friend who recently moved to San Diego, Pollack sees its membership as "the kind of women who surf or scuba dive," allowing that in Arizona they more likely will be hikers or bikers.
Asked which female celebrities best depicted the Blue Thong kind of woman, Pollack named Susan Sarandon, CNN's Nancy Grace and comedian Kathy Griffin. She doesn't always agree with them, but admires their outspokenness.
Blue Thong philosophy has a loosey-goosey 1960s feel. According to its Web site, www.bluethongsociety.com, Blue Thong can mean either the scanty underwear or the flip-flops. You choose which. The official logo, an optical illusion, could be either.
And the group's slogan, "Fight Frump," isn't very much about fashion, but rather a "a state of mind," Pollack said.
"Frump means having low self-esteem, not speaking up for yourself, settling," she said.
"Fighting it is about doing good, giving back - that comes from the spirit of the 1960s and '70s. For me it's honoring the spirit of the time I grew up. There was plenty of bad stuff - drugs, the war - but there were also some good things that came out of it," said Pollack, a striking example of 1960s rebellion.
She marched, carried signs and managed to get through Northeastern University in her hometown Chicago. At 15, she used to sneak off to hang out on Rush Street, the city's nightclub district. That was a few years after she staged a strike at her day camp, refusing to leave the bus to make "lanyards and things with sticks."
"I know there are other people out there who refused to get off the bus," she said. "I want to take the best of those days and move forward with them."
The Blue Thong Scottsdale chapter will be open to younger women, "for mentoring purposes," and it will choose projects "to help society." A run in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is on the table, as is outreach to women's shelters and groups that help at-risk girls.
Tuesday's meeting will tell what happens next, Pollack said.
"It's up to the women. I'd like to have monthly dinner meetings and then start working on our vision. Twenty have signed up so far. The youngest is 25, and Pollack is recruiting two retired professionals, ages 92 and 86.
"They're the most interesting women I've ever met," Pollack said.

Sleek-Jet
07-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Somebody better go get some chicken feed... :idea: :idea:

HOSS
07-16-2006, 06:47 PM
man,,,,,I gotta move,,,this place phucin sux. New Orleans is a hell hole. I WANT OUT! NOW! :crossx:

ROZ
07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Well this sucks... THey have no picure gallery on their site :yuk:

JB in so cal
07-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Well this sucks... THey have no picure gallery on their site :yuk:
Thin picken's, lately?