PDA

View Full Version : Blown Jet Records Falls

American Turbine Man
07-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Blown Jet Records Falls Dan Kirkman in Awesome Toy #555 runs 7.23 / 154, 7.28 / 148, 7.03 / 157 & 7.15 / 159 at the IHBA race at Dexter Reservoir in Lowell, OR. What is unusual is that he did not break one jet pump part. His jet pump is a complete Dominator built by Dustin at American Turbine. He should get the Record if the IHBA officials can find their P&G tester to verify the engine size.
ATM

jweeks123
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
congrats to dan kirkman! very impressive. what fuel does the motor use?
why is it unusual not to break any jet parts???
jw

Cs19
07-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Thats haulin ass, congrats to those involved!!!
What hull is he running and do you have any pics of the boat?
I got a call from a friend who was at the Oklahoma race, he said there is a daytona with a blown motor running in the higher 7s in 6500 ft. of air, not too shabby either.

svt2224
07-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Hydro hunter was the name of the daytona, and it was one impressive jet. The air was pretty bad this weekend, around 3900ft corrected during the heat of the day, but nothing a little boost can't fix.

pce680
07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Thats haulin ass, congrats to those involved!!!
What hull is he running and do you have any pics of the boat?
I got a call from a friend who was at the Oklahoma race, he said there is a daytona with a blown motor running in the higher 7s in 6500 ft. of air, not too shabby either.
The boat is a EDGE built by Tommy Papp.Dan reset the PCE index for BAJ at 7.03. Ron

UBFJ #454
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
A Blown Gas Jet runs Gas, Blown Alcohol Jet runs Alky and, UBFJ/TFJ can run n2o/or nitro, up to 50% (can run higher % if boat is Safe enough for Officials to Approve it ... case by case determination by Officials of Santioning Body).
While Racers get IHBA Division 1 Points, the Race itself is a CDBA Race not an IHBA Race so Verifying the motor size is the responsibility of the CDBA not the IHBA. Whether or not a new CDBA Record would affect the IHBA Index for that Class, I'm not sure ... Wouldn't think so, but, could (if it does, this year's IHBA Division 1 PCE Points Chase just got "Interesting" to say the least).
Could we please get the Detailed Pump Specs. ... Impeller Type, Size, Shaft Type, Etc,? ... Given we're in the process of Spec,'ing a new pump for our UBFJ/???, we're interested in the details if you'd care to either Post them up or PM them to me.

pce680
07-16-2006, 08:01 PM
A Blown Gas Jet runs Gas, Blown Alcohol Jet runs Alky and, UBFJ/TFJ can run n2o/or nitro, up to 50% (can run higher % if boat is Safe enough for Officials to Approve it ... case by case determination by Officials of Santioning Body).
While Racers get IHBA Division 1 Points, the Race itself is a CDBA Race not an IHBA Race so Verifying the motor size is the responsibility of the CDBA not the IHBA. Whether or not a new CDBA Record would affect the IHBA BGJ Index, I'm not sure ... Wouldn't think so, but, could.
Could we please get the Detailed Pump Specs. ... Impeller Type, Size, Shaft Type, Etc,? ... Given we're in the process of Spec,'ing a new pump for our UBFJ/???, we're interested in the details if you'd care to either Post them up or PM them to me.
This is a Blown Alky Jet.Because this is a Div 1 race the BAJ index is reset at
7.03.The BFJ and the BGJ indexes and records remain unchanged.
If the records are approved they will be IHBA DIV 1 Records as well as CDBA Records ( DIV 6 ). Ron

UBFJ #454
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Not sure that I agree ... Not being argumentative ,but, given the circumstances surrounding PCE @ Dexter this year, I'll wait to see what CF has to Say.

pce680
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Not sure that I agree ... Not being argumentative ,but, given the circumstances surrounding PCE @ Dexter this year, I'll wait to see what CF has to Say.
CF has already spoken before the race. Ron

pce680
07-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Robert Ojeda from CA won PCE in Oklahoma City ,OK today.He also set a SDBA Comp Flat Record of 8.07.
Two PCE races in one day,thats a FIRST. Ron

Cs19
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Hydro hunter was the name of the daytona, and it was one impressive jet. The air was pretty bad this weekend, around 3900ft corrected during the heat of the day, but nothing a little boost can't fix.
LOL, sounds like my buddy needs to get his DA meter looked it, he was saying it was 6500 ft..He did say there were alot of jets, some pretty fast ones too! What is the owner/drivers name with the daytona? I was going to look him on on dragboats.com.
Congrats to 77charger for the big win!!!!

pattymelt18
07-16-2006, 08:37 PM
i belive its a daytona cs its purple hes run njba a couple times when we were there but not anywhere near those speeds .

American Turbine Man
07-16-2006, 08:54 PM
i belive its a daytona cs its purple hes run njba a couple times when we were there but not anywhere near those speeds .
Its a Tommy Papp piece. There are photos of it on www.dragboats.com under Dan Kirkman
ATM

Cs19
07-16-2006, 09:05 PM
http://www.dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/01_03_NJBA_01_05_555.jpg

svt2224
07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Glenn Pederson is the driver/owner of the daytona. Here is a pic.

Cs19
07-17-2006, 06:02 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15630
Bad ass looking boat, it must be one hell of a ride to shut that thing down with no pop off.Hopefully he went some rounds this weekend.
http://dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/05_07_SDBA_0813_610.jpg
http://dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/01_04_NJBA_0051_610.jpg

djdtpr
07-17-2006, 09:08 AM
http://www.dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/01_03_NJBA_01_05_555.jpg
Im kinda partial to this ride.Definatly has Nagore covered,for now!

bp
07-17-2006, 10:59 AM
the boat looks a bit different than this older pic, with a newer paint job. really looked nice.
i was pitted 3 boats over from dan this weekend, so got to talk to him quite a bit. this is a new ihba record for TAJ, and it could have been in the 6s. thurston took the 3 boat pce class, while dan took the record :cool: , which is all that he's been working toward.
i was able to see one of his passes saturday from the rope, and the sunday passes from the beach. air for the 7.03 was around 23-2400, and around 3k for the 7.15. i asked dan what the deal was with 7.15, and he said "several driver screwups" :cool: from my perspective, the numbers were good, and there is much more in this boat... hopefully, they can make one of the remaining njba races, and readjust the njba taj record.
also, it was great meet and talk with dustin from amt. dustin helped dan with the whole new drive setup in awesome toy, and obviously dan's real happy with it. jim andrews was assisting them with the engine, and dan has the old biz racepak installed. it's really great seeing them get after it; reminded me of 2000. :cool:

Cs19
07-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Whats the black square looking thing on the back of the boat?

djdtpr
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I would think its the laundry.Or its a solar battery charger that comes on all the new model capsule boats. :rollside:

Cs19
07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Ya thats the only thing I could think of but Im yet to see another jetboat with a chute.

bp
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
it was probably laundry, but i don't remember seeing it on there this weekend. i took a couple pics of the boat, but can't see that part. but i don't remember it being there.
not everyone was real pleased with what dan accomplished this weekend. but there were no surprises. everyone knew what he was going after, so the door is always open for someone else to do better. they worked very hard to go after the records. i told him early saturday morning; you go for it! that's what pce used to be all about; class boats going for it, and that's why it was great to see, and it's the only class he can enter to be a legal TAJ and go for the records. when he's satisfied with all the alky records, it'll be great when he puts some fuel to it :crossx:
and it shouldn't be overlooked that the worlds quickest and fastest BAJ was being pushed by a new american turbine pump.. with a place diverter :) . no cavitation, no hesitation, just launch and go...

pce680
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
it was probably laundry, but i don't remember seeing it on there this weekend. i took a couple pics of the boat, but can't see that part. but i don't remember it being there.
not everyone was real pleased with what dan accomplished this weekend. but there were no surprises. everyone knew what he was going after, so the door is always open for someone else to do better. they worked very hard to go after the records. i told him early saturday morning; you go for it! that's what pce used to be all about; class boats going for it, and that's why it was great to see, and it's the only class he can enter to be a legal TAJ and go for the records. when he's satisfied with all the alky records, it'll be great when he puts some fuel to it :crossx:
and it shouldn't be overlooked that the worlds quickest and fastest BAJ was being pushed by a new american turbine pump.. with a place diverter :) . no cavitation, no hesitation, just launch and go...
BP...Was R&D Marine still on the side of the boat ?

Cs19
07-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I agree with that, the AMT stuff is nice.
What pump was he using?
Why the diverter? Does it change nozzle angle during a run? If so, how is it controlled?

pce680
07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree with that, the AMT stuff is nice.
What pump was he using?
Why the diverter? Does it change nozzle angle during a run? If so, how is it controlled?
Thats a secret !

Cs19
07-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Thats a secret !
:rolleyes:

djdtpr
07-17-2006, 01:20 PM
?Why the diverter? Does it change nozzle angle during a run? If so, how is it controlled?
I keep telling you that place diverters rule. :)

77charger
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
that was the boat i told you about chris.It plain out hauls ass and leaves very hard IMO.I was on th holding rope when it left.
will stand corrected on the density too.Quite few said the same or response was what air!
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15630
Bad ass looking boat, it must be one hell of a ride to shut that thing down with no pop off.Hopefully he went some rounds this weekend.
http://dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/05_07_SDBA_0813_610.jpg
http://dragboats.com/images/gallery/large/01_04_NJBA_0051_610.jpg

svt2224
07-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Pederson won the PE class last year at OKC, I believe that he went out in the semi's this year. I run TE so I had very few chances to watch him run, that was until the bowl broke on my ride. :mad:

77charger
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Pederson won the PE class last year at OKC, I believe that he went out in the semi's this year. I run TE so I had very few chances to watch him run, that was until the bowl broke on my ride. :mad:
What kinda boat were you runnin.I was out there with the black 004 boat runnin PCE we were pitted right behind lifeline.

Cs19
07-17-2006, 06:56 PM
SVT, how many jets were in TE and what type of engines do they run? All of the IHBA TE jetboats over here are naturally aspirated with nitrous we occasionally have a blown TE jet.
What boat do you have and what happened to your bowl?
77chrager, congrats on the win!!!!!

svt2224
07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't have an exact number of TE jets but I would guess that there were around 6 or 7, I could be way off on that number due to the large number of TE boats on the rope. Most of the TE jets were blown both alky and gas along with a few nitrous jets. I run a black and gold Condor Lightening #507, with a mild blown alky bbc. Since switching to alcohol I have broken two bowls in two races, one dominator and one berk ending up with large holes at ~ the 12:00 position. My guess is caviation is taking them out. Here is a pic from last year.

EyeBallingU
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
that was the boat i told you about chris.It plain out hauls ass and leaves very hard IMO.I was on th holding rope when it left.
will stand corrected on the density too.Quite few said the same or response was what air!
Good ol boy from CHI-Town

bluethunder
07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
77 Charger
Frank said congradulations on your win : !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77charger
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
77 Charger
Frank said congradulations on your win : !!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks guys i talked to frank on friday while talking to dave at the show/shine.Hope to see you guys at MF

squirt
07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Pretty sure that is laundry, if I remember correctly it was Dan who aired the laundry out up in Oregon last month on a pass going up river. That boat runs great!

TopCat
07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Gee
And I thought Bill Place held the record at 163+ ????????????

TopCat
07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I stand Corrected it was 176.39mph

hellman2u
07-18-2006, 09:14 AM
CONGRATS Dan ! and his family and crew. Love you man ! Jim & Shell

jweeks123
07-18-2006, 09:34 AM
this is the internet, so the record can be whatever anyone says :)
jw

American Turbine Man
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I may be wrong but. don't you have to "back it up" to get the record.
Also he was running NITRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
ATM

hellman2u
07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4023261&a=32225105&p=74417583 current awesome toy 555 Owners Dan and Patty Kirkman

bp
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
bill place was great, and a forerunner. and although he probably went 176, no sanctioning body has retained a record from that era, which was 30 years ago. couple things to keep in mind; that was an open boat, and he ran nitro. finally, runs were initiated much differently 30 years ago, compared to today. dan's boat remains the quickest/fastest baj, on record, since the change in starting line configuration. can't speculate what the results will be when/if they go to nitro.
current top fuel jet records are 163ihba, 157sdba, et 7.13 in ihba, 6.9something in sdba.. this boat is very close to those marks, on alky.
ronnie, i don't recall seeing that name on the side of the boat :crossx:
cs, it's either hydraulic or air. since i didn't look that hard, and i know the bucket is air, i'd say air.
robert, congrats on the win back there! great job.

BigBlockOldsJet
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I may be wrong but. don't you have to "back it up" to get the record.
Also he was running NITRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
ATM
What was the HP of the fuelers 30 years ago, probably the same if not less than as a stout modern alcohol hemi.

screamdreambrad
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
What was the HP of the fuelers 30 years ago, probably the same if not less than as a stout modern alcohol hemi.
that may verywell be,but they also had twice the run at the startingline. huge difference.

bp
07-18-2006, 04:59 PM
based on weather conditions recorded sunday in ok, and using the ok airport altitude of 1299', d/a was around 4200-4300'. i have no idea if the airport altitude is higher/lower/same as the river. last year, mf was a little worse.

bp
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM
a lot of those boats rarely made full passes and broke more often than not. which is not to say those guys didn't give it hell tryin', just that those engines didn't live very long or very well. on occasion, someone would whip out a big run, but that wasn't the norm. even fuel boats from 10-15 years ago couldn't reliably make it happen every pass.
i'm all for giving those guys their due, but records were made to be broken, and it is cool that someone has stepped up with a little current technology, and is going for it. the "old days" didn't have the weight of the capsule to deal with, and had 400 foot runs at the starting line, so it's practically impossible to compare apples to apples.

pce680
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Roger Way in the "California Hustler" and Frank Place's boat "The Place Setter" both ran 160+MPH with ET's in the 6.70's several times for records in 1990/1991 time period.This was on the current starting system and in Capsule Placecraft Tunnel boats.Still the FASTEST TFJ's. Ron

Cs19
07-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Does kirkman have a Brad Anderson motor?

Bense468
07-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Roger Way in the "California Hustler" and Frank Place's boat "The Place Setter" both ran 160+MPH with ET's in the 6.70's several times for records in 1990/1991 time period.This was on the current starting system and in Capsule Placecraft Tunnel boats.Still the FASTEST TFJ's. Ron
I remember the pink placecraft well.

sdba069
07-19-2006, 06:11 AM
I was at OKC with our BAJ Placecraft running PCE. Air was not good, but the worst I saw was about 4900 on a Performaire. We ran 8.03 in the second round of elims. We kinda got snookered when the PGF guys all registered as UBGF and got an index that was .07 slower than PGF, even though they were the same boat and engine combo that runs as PGF. We weren't aware of this until we ran one of them in the second round. Normally they spot us .02 but they ended up getting a .05 spot on us. After bumping our index twice at Waco, we detuned the Place so that there was no danger of doing it again. When Hydro Hunter ran the 7.95, air was around 3500'. He ran in the 8 second class. That boat makes pretty runs but starts a little bounce about 600' out. There was a pretty good tail wind and that could have been a factor.

hellman2u
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
To the best my memory will serve me , its not a Brad motor. I believe its an Arias. The motor is set up by big Jim Andrews of Andrews racing engines in Castle Rock WA. Dan's daughter,s Jennifer,and Kelsey are crew on the boat along with his good friend Jay,and his wife Patty. What an AWESOME accomplishment for this team. On a side note Dan is our club chaplain,he married me and my wife Michelle two weeks ago. I believe the record also makes him the fastest chaplain on the water !!!! Congrats again to all of them. Jim

pce680
07-19-2006, 06:57 AM
I think Dan's motor is a Keith Black.

hellman2u
07-19-2006, 07:40 AM
PCE 680 you are correct Dan's motor is an Kieth Black. Sorry about the brain fade ! Jim

UBFJ #454
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
"On a side note Dan is our club chaplain ..."
Obviously then he is a CDBA Member ... Is he a full member of the IHBA?

77charger
07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I was at OKC with our BAJ Placecraft running PCE. Air was not good, but the worst I saw was about 4900 on a Performaire. We ran 8.03 in the second round of elims. We kinda got snookered when the PGF guys all registered as UBGF and got an index that was .07 slower than PGF, even though they were the same boat and engine combo that runs as PGF. We weren't aware of this until we ran one of them in the second round. Normally they spot us .02 but they ended up getting a .05 spot on us. After bumping our index twice at Waco, we detuned the Place so that there was no danger of doing it again. When Hydro Hunter ran the 7.95, air was around 3500'. He ran in the 8 second class. That boat makes pretty runs but starts a little bounce about 600' out. There was a pretty good tail wind and that could have been a factor.
Wow i was right next to you on the rope at one time,didnt know that was you.I was driving the black 004 boat its a comp flat.

sdba069
07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't drive anymore. That was Steve Douglas. I just build and tune them these days.

Cs19
07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't drive anymore. That was Steve Douglas. I just build and tune them these days.
Did you run that all white cheyanne with the Pro Gas motor yet?

bp
07-20-2006, 05:27 AM
"On a side note Dan is our club chaplain ..."
Obviously then he is a CDBA Member ... Is he a full member of the IHBA?
to my knowledge, dan is a fulltime RFC chaplain serving at almost all division 1 ihba races that i can recall (firebird, rb, chow), as well as all cdba events. he provides the same service for cdba that our RFC chaplains have provided at ming. as far as his ihba membership, i know he communicates frequently with charlie/nancy, and as far as i'm concerned, the RFC chaplains -are- full timers. i'm not a religous guy, but i'm real happy to see RFC at every race; they provide a real service to racers and their familys.

sdba069
07-20-2006, 07:15 AM
If all goes well, we will debut the new Cheyenne at Ft. Worth in about 2 1/2 weeks.

jweeks123
07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Dan Kirkman in Awesome Toy #555 runs 7.23 / 154, 7.28 / 148, 7.03 / 157 & 7.15 / 159 at the IHBA race at Dexter Reservoir in Lowell, OR.does this qualify as "squirting like a big dog"
:)
jw

UBFJ #454
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
"SECTION 27: OFFICIAL RECORD" (From the current IHBA Rule Book)
"1. Both the driver/owner and co-owner of the boat must be current members of IHBA in order to establish an official IHBA record.
2. The clocked time for establishing a new IHBA record must better the existing record. A backup run must follow the record leg and may be made at the event until the boat is eliminated from competition. In order to insure the validity of all new records, a backup performance of within one percent (1%) of the new mark is required at the same event. If two runs exceed the existing record, but are not within one percent (1%) of each other, the quicker time or faster speed will be acceptable as the backup for the slower time, which will stand as the new record. A record may be established and backed up during qualifications and/or eliminations. Records cannot be established during license, tuning, or safety passes.
etc. ... "
Given the above, my Calc.'s show that the new IHBA BAJ Record/Index is 7.15 backed up by the 7.03.

pce680
07-20-2006, 01:27 PM
the BAJ record is 7.15, BUT the BAJ index is 7.03.Index adjustments in PCE do not require a backup and are only adjusted in eliminations on sunday,not qualifying.

UBFJ #454
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
"SECTION 21: PRO COMP ELIMINATOR (PCE)
PCE class is designed to run all the classes that do not have the proper boat count to constitute a class. All classes will run against their index. Boats must meet the same technical specifications and class requirements as for their original class. Eligible classes include: Pro Gas Hydro, Comp Hydro, Pro Limited Hydro, Blown Gas Flat, Pro Gas Flat, Comp Flat, Pro Limited Flat, Top Fuel Jet, Top Alcohol Jet, Blown Gas Jet, Pro Gas Jet, Comp Jet, and Pro Limited Jet.
Establishing Class Index:
1. All classes running in Pro Comp Eliminator will have an ET Index used to balance all classes for even and fair
competition.
2. Class indexes will be changed by runs made in eliminations only (not qualifying).
3. If a boat runs under its class index in eliminations, that ET run will become the index for the next round or rounds of competition at that event.
4. If a boat runs 0.05 seconds or better under its established index in eliminations, that ET will be the new index for that class at the next event.
5. Indexes for classes not already established will be established by the IHBA or at the discretion of the Race Director.
6. Indexes will be set at the beginning of each season one tenth (0. 10) second over the previous season's index.
7. In the event that an index is set out of proportion, IHBA reserves the right to evaluate and reset the index for the following year."
4. Above Says Your Right.
Given what has happened with Dan's Runs (Great Runs) which could Significantly Affect the already estabilished PCE Points Chase this year, I'd think it would be more Equitable if, next year, Index's were treated the same as Records ... Just a thought.
P.S.: Just re-read my Post and thought I'd clarify my thinking ... As the Rules stand now, No Problem as regards the Event such a thing happens ... Thinking about subsequent events in a Year ... My thought is that a Record set in a previous Event should be the Index for the next Race, etc. ...
Your Thoughts?

pce680
07-22-2006, 07:08 AM
UBFJ#454...With the present rules in PCE a BAJ can also run in TFJ,which is a index of 7.62.So I think there will still be a competitive points chase this year.

getreal
04-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I ran 151 three times in 1991 with a Daytona in 1991. No record but got the championship. We had an American Turbine and only 48%

poncho-pwr
04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
getreal, do you have anymore bigger pictures of your boat? I am sure we would all love to see them. What was the name of your boat and did you ever run on just alcohol as Kirkman has been running when he made all of his awesome passes? Back in 91' did you guys have things like pop-offs and ratchets to help slow them down safely or was it all driver back then? I know I would love to hear some top fuel jet racing stories.

BUSBY
04-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I ran 151 three times in 1991 with a Daytona in 1991. No record but got the championship. We had an American Turbine and only 48%
Roy Schrader?

jweeks123
04-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I ran 151 three times in 1991 with a Daytona in 1991. No record but got the championship. We had an American Turbine and only 48%good looking boat. what et did you run with those speeds. was the start like today. holding rope about 125 ft from the start line
jw

poncho-pwr
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
We're waiting.....

pce680
04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
The popoff valve was made mandatory in IHBA in 1990.The Mills,Malore,and Wilder valves were the only ones accepted that year.
The 125 foot start was in effect for the 1991 season.The first race it was only 75 feet,but changed to 125 ft after the first race.