PDA

View Full Version : 26 bravo prop mods

dschifan
07-16-2006, 04:01 PM
so i'm picking up my 22 daytona with a 300 promax on the back this week and am going to buy a 26p bravo cause everyone is raving about this being the hot ticket. are there any mods i should do to this prop to get the most out of it? i have heard of drilling vent holes, is there a prop shop who does that or can i do it myself? i just want to this thing to easily run low 80's. thanks

DCBDaytona
07-16-2006, 04:06 PM
so i'm picking up my 22 daytona with a 300 promax on the back this week and am going to buy a 26p bravo cause everyone is raving about this being the hot ticket. are there any mods i should do to this prop to get the most out of it? i have heard of drilling vent holes, is there a prop shop who does that or can i do it myself? i just want to this thing to easily run low 80's. thanks
Vent holes are a MUST. The boat will not plane without them...I believe 1.25" holes are the best. For specifics, call Kevin at R&R Prop Shop from Vegas.

dschifan
07-16-2006, 04:09 PM
does he drill them or do i have to do it myself?

DCBDaytona
07-17-2006, 09:44 AM
If you want to send the prop out to him, then yes he'll do it. If you've got the tools, I suggest you get the info from him and get to drilling.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
07-17-2006, 10:52 AM
you might want a labbed 28, i found it works equally as good as a standard (unlabbed 26), with the same bottom end but more top end.

DCBDaytona
07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
you might want a labbed 28, i found it works equally as good as a standard (unlabbed 26), with the same bottom end but more top end.
If he had an "X" motor I would agree. The 300PM won't be able to spin the 28P labbed bravo.

dschifan
07-17-2006, 11:24 AM
thanks guys i will give him a call when i get the prop. can't wait to pickup the boat, its my first tunnell and am real excited.. anyone know what this boat top speed should be with that prop????

DCBDaytona
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
thanks guys i will give him a call when i get the prop. can't wait to pickup the boat, its my first tunnell and am real excited.. anyone know what this boat top speed should be with that prop????
Given the height of the motor, heat, etc...You will see probably 82 at best. The 22 Daytona is much larger than the 22 Mach so it'll be a bit slower. For everyday speed, you will see mid 70's.

TUNNEL T
07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
you must drill out holes or you'll never get on plane ,as for size holes i personally had the most bitchen bravo for that motor .it was a labbed 26 cupped to a 27 with 1inch holes cut oblong closer to the leading edge of the blades .thios prop worked awesome with weight in boat ! i sold to a guy we used to run around with alot ,i'll see if i can muster up a #, pm me and i'll check for you ! TUNNEL T

randy77zt
07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
i got that prop that tunnel t had-it doesnt work good on my talon.prop is for sale.pm if wanted.

riverbound
07-18-2006, 09:16 PM
I am currently having a Bravo 26. drilled and vented for my boat. I dropeed it off with Al Stoker, and he said this combo is the best all around prop for my setup.
22' Stoker with Evinrude 300
I will post my results later.

RitcheyRch
07-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Didnt know Stoker did that type of work.
I am currently having a Bravo 26. drilled and vented for my boat. I dropeed it off with Al Stoker, and he said this combo is the best all around prop for my setup.
22' Stoker with Evinrude 300
I will post my results later.

riverbound
07-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Didnt know Stoker did that type of work.
He is going to drill the holes then it will be sent out to be labbed.

TUNNEL T
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
i got that prop that tunnel t had-it doesnt work good on my talon.prop is for sale.pm if wanted.
I KNEW YOU WERE OUT THERE , i was gonna try to post your screen name but as i see i would have f----ed that up! this prop was worked by merc a few years ago ,but i have all the paper work on it , labbed and big oblong holes .

TUNNEL T
07-19-2006, 02:45 PM
hey randy what didn't you like about prop , did it not spin up enough ? wasn't enough pitch , just curious worked awesome on my boat with family in it !TUNNEL T

RitcheyRch
07-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh ok thanks.

HavasuBarney
07-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Do you have your motor mounted directly on your transom?

riverbound
07-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Do you have your motor mounted directly on your transom?
Yes.

HavasuBarney
07-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes.
Is that what Al Stoker said would be the all around set up for your boat?
In the world of performance gains, getting that motor off your transom would be a great first step. That is if you are after performance gains.
What props have you run and what kind of speed have you gotten with your current set up?
Do you ski alot with your boat?

dschifan
07-19-2006, 08:16 PM
i just bought one two days ago!! got a good deal though... thanks guys for the leads though!

riverbound
07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Is that what Al Stoker said would be the all around set up for your boat?
In the world of performance gains, getting that motor off your transom would be a great first step. That is if you are after performance gains.
What props have you run and what kind of speed have you gotten with your current set up?
Do you ski alot with your boat?
He said that this prop would be the best all around prop for what I do. I do water ski, and I find my self carrying a boat full of people quite often.
Currently I have a 24 turbo on it and I ususally see mid 70s @ 6krpms. The current prop is old and has been repaired a couple times so this was his recomendation.
I am bringing the boat home this coming week to look into doing some different things with the motor (jackplate, set back, etc..)

HavasuBarney
07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I would think with some basic set up changes you could pick up an easy 15-20 mph and still do everything you want to do in the boat.
You'll be faster, quicker out of the hole and have much better fuel economy and an all around better handling boat with some good setback and your motor raised.
How much setback are you looking to try?

Pro Max
07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Vent holes are a MUST. The boat will not plane without them...I believe 1.25" holes are the best. For specifics, call Kevin at R&R Prop Shop from Vegas.
This is what I found out, 26'' with 1.25" X 1.00" rectangular holes. You will love that prop all around GOOD.

dschifan
07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
how do you cut rectangular holes??? what should i use for the drillin and cutting?

stoker2001
07-22-2006, 02:56 PM
how do you cut rectangular holes??? what should i use for the drillin and cutting?they are more oval then rectangular,you need a milling machine unless you want to die grind or drill for hours :cool:

riverbound
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I would think with some basic set up changes you could pick up an easy 15-20 mph and still do everything you want to do in the boat.
You'll be faster, quicker out of the hole and have much better fuel economy and an all around better handling boat with some good setback and your motor raised.
How much setback are you looking to try?
The plan is to hopefully do some setback and a jackplate. not exactly sure how much yet, I will leave it up to His recomendation.

dschifan
07-31-2006, 11:00 PM
with the 26p bravo on my boat this last weekend, i could not even get on plane without having my buddy lean over the front and with a full 60 gallons of gas! also with the weight i seemed to only be able to turn 5500rpms, do u think i need to get a 24p bravo instead??? can someone post pics of where your vent holes are drilled because i guess where i drilled them and the size of them is all wrong. i had to put my pos high 5blade prop back on that only runs 70mph at most, it sucked its a ski prop and nothing more, the speed is terrible.

HavasuBarney
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
When you say you're having trouble getting on plane, what's the prop doing?
Is it just spinning in place with no bite?
Is it all bite and not breaking loose at all?
How much setback?
How deep is your motor?
Here is a 28 I had cut like me 26, same hole pattern.
I think with some minor adjusting you can be jumping out of the hole and turning over 6000 rpms. Just need some tuning.
:)
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16042&stc=1
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16043&stc=1

dschifan
08-01-2006, 07:08 PM
the prop was not breaking loose at all and just bogging down. i have about 15 inches of setback and the few minutes i did try the prop it did the best out of the hole with the cone even with the pad. so i did not even spend enough seat time to get the prop to carry the boat to 6000. thanks for those pics, my holes are way!!!! to small. where can i get them drilled like that????

DCBDaytona
08-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes, it seems that your prop is not venting enough to break loose. I'd take it to any prop shop for the drilling.
Sorry I didnt catch ya out there last weekend...Let me know when you're heading out again.

TUNNEL T
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
the prop was not breaking loose at all and just bogging down. i have about 15 inches of setback and the few minutes i did try the prop it did the best out of the hole with the cone even with the pad. so i did not even spend enough seat time to get the prop to carry the boat to 6000. thanks for those pics, my holes are way!!!! to small. where can i get them drilled like that????
BELIEVE IT OR NOT ! mike spinnelli (spinnelli props ) told me this a while back ,with tunnel boats set your jack plate where you run wide open just tuck motor all the way in and f#@$n nail it!!!!! the prop will break loose just enough then hook up ! just try it , oh yea your holes are to small! 1 1/4 holes ovaled out ! TUNNEL T

dschifan
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
i have heard of that tunnel t, and thats pretty much what i did and had the best results. i talked to drew at boatmasters and he said i could run a 27p trophy plus small hub, what do you guys think. he is sending it to me so i can have something decent for this weekend cause i won't have my bravo done by then.
Hey kevin, i gave you a call on saturday, i was at copper canyon for a bit, then headed towards the channel before going home. definitely next time we can meet up hopefully

HavasuBarney
08-02-2006, 04:00 AM
I have 2 inch holes.
The idea of the holes is to let some exhaust out over the blades and break em loose. You'll need a little negative trim to do that.
I'll be in Havasu this weekend, maybe we'll see you there.
:)

DCBDaytona
08-02-2006, 07:02 AM
i have heard of that tunnel t, and thats pretty much what i did and had the best results. i talked to drew at boatmasters and he said i could run a 27p trophy plus small hub, what do you guys think. he is sending it to me so i can have something decent for this weekend cause i won't have my bravo done by then.
Hey kevin, i gave you a call on saturday, i was at copper canyon for a bit, then headed towards the channel before going home. definitely next time we can meet up hopefully
Interesting...I never got your missed call. Damn cell phones. My 21 Daytona with a 300PM never had this prob...Dril those suckers out and it should be fine. I'll be back out the weekend of the 12th, you gonna be around?

dschifan
08-02-2006, 07:10 AM
yep i should be out there that weekend as well, kind of have a family party thing going on at the new house in needles but i should be up around the sand bar and into the channel. do u think that trophy plus small hub will get me out of the whole and run decent?

DCBDaytona
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
yep i should be out there that weekend as well, kind of have a family party thing going on at the new house in needles but i should be up around the sand bar and into the channel. do u think that trophy plus small hub will get me out of the whole and run decent?
I never ran a Trophy Plus, but Drew definately knows his stuff. If he's recommended it, give it a try.

riverbound
08-02-2006, 07:42 AM
My prop will have 5/8" holes and I decided not to go with a jackplate as I was told I would not see a big increase for the money spent ($2k installed for one rated for a V8). So I will play with it with the new propo and see what I get.

HavasuBarney
08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Would not see an increase in what?
You are getting some bad advice there my friend. A 12" setback bracket rated for a V8 300 will run less than $400.
Unless your cables would be too short (which I doubt), you might spend another $20 in some bolts, zip ties and misc. If your cables are too short, you spend another $200 max. Install takes a couple hours if you have to redo everything.
Easy less than $700 to pick up 20mph, much fuel better economy, better holeshot, better ride. Hell you would actually be able to take advantage of the hull design. Right now with your motor buried, you have no clue what the real performance of your hull is like.
I would save your money on a performance prop untill you set your boat up to actually run one.
Are you going to be up this weekend?

stoker2001
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
If you really want to vent the bravo1,the trickest way to go is have Mark croxton in Indiana machine like in pic with dual PVS holes like Merc does to alot of the fishing props.Now you can add plastic merc inserts/PVS with different restricting holes to custom tune your holeshot and the amount of ventilation for your specific needs and you wont hurt the resale value.I love mine as it hits the powerband instataineusly and pulls hard from a standstill http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1052bravo1.jpg

riverbound
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Would not see an increase in what?
You are getting some bad advice there my friend. A 12" setback bracket rated for a V8 300 will run less than $400.
Unless your cables would be too short (which I doubt), you might spend another $20 in some bolts, zip ties and misc. If your cables are too short, you spend another $200 max. Install takes a couple hours if you have to redo everything.
Easy less than $700 to pick up 20mph, much fuel better economy, better holeshot, better ride. Hell you would actually be able to take advantage of the hull design. Right now with your motor buried, you have no clue what the real performance of your hull is like.
I would save your money on a performance prop untill you set your boat up to actually run one.
Are you going to be up this weekend?
I was more than willing to drop the cash to do the work, but I was advised against it. The person who is giving me the advice knows Stokers better than anyone out there, so I trust his input. in the almost 20 years we have owned stokers, he hasnt steered us wrong yet.
I was told that on my setup, setback and jackplate would net me a couple MPH. so I decided against it.....if in all reality doing those mods would have net me 10,15,20 MPH I would have spent the money in a heartbeat and he knows I would have. for what I do with my boat this is the setup that was recommended to me.
Very few 22' SST's have jackplates and set backs because they dont respond the same as others do to this same mod.
I wish I could get 10-20 mph more for a couple grand...... I would be all over it :(

Stoker22
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Barney you need to understand that riverbounds boat already has a 26 inch transom with 8 inches of set back built in. The quote is for a hydraulic set up and those that carry a 8 rating are expensive. An 8 unit also needs to run lower to live thus the need for hyd. It would also need to have a nose cone installed to run high so alot more needed than you realize and NO way it will gain 15 in set up it is a lot heavier and bigger than your 21 liberator.

stoker2001
08-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Barney you need to understand that riverbounds boat already has a 26 inch transom with 8 inches of set back built in. The quote is for a hydraulic set up and those that carry a 8 rating are expensive. An 8 unit also needs to run lower to live thus the need for hyd. It would also need to have a nose cone installed to run high so alot more needed than you realize and NO way it will gain 15 in set up it is a lot heavier and bigger than your 21 liberator.Ditto to that