PDA

View Full Version : My Ramp Experience

ChumpChange
07-17-2006, 06:39 AM
First off, I have to give mucho props to Mr. Harley and crew for getting me out of this jam. As I was sitting there astounded at what just happened, he and his boys started cranking my trailer in order to get it back on the hitch.
The Story:
While pulling off the water after sitting through the wind storm in the channel, there was a little mishap with my boat/trailer. Everything was flawless and the boat was on the bunks and cranked on within 30 seconds or so. Mr. Harley was trailering his boat right next to mine.
As we came over the hump of the ramp to the level portion, my trailer suddenly came off the hitch and I was suddenly sliding. After a little yelling, the wife stopped the truck and the trailer slammed into the truck bumper(fortunately, this was the only damage to anything).
As my trailer tongue sat on the ground, my truck and trailer blocking basically the entire north windsor ramp, Mr. Harley's crew ran over and started cranking. We got the trailer back on the hitch within five minutes or so.
We started to think that I had the wrong ball on the hitch at first which is the reason it came off. When I started to change out the ball in the parking lot though, I had the correct ball on the hitch. I am not sure how this freak accident happened. The trailer was locked on the ball, I check this everytime I leave storage.
I did not have the pin locked and we were parked in an end stall...my only guess at this point would be that somebody came and messed with my trailer, unlocking it off the ball. Who knows? but that's my fun ramp experience from Saturday night.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Thankfully there wasn't really any damage and it didn't take up much time. Nice to have someone nearby to help out. Hope it was just a one time freak thing.

OCMerrill
07-17-2006, 06:52 AM
I would be willing to bet someone messed with it.
I have a construction dump trailer and someone tried to steel it off the back of my pick-up by cutting the lock and unhitching the mount. I guess they found out it weighed to much and couldn't move it so they left. I did not notice this until it was to late and came off the hitch ball at about 40 mph.
Thankfull they did not remove the chains.
I now check it often.

ChumpChange
07-17-2006, 06:55 AM
I now check it often.
Needless to say, this is what we did when retrieving on Sunday. Will be buying a lock this week. Stood over the hitch when pulling boat out on Sunday to see movement and I could not imagine a way it would flex off on it's own.

MR HARLEY
07-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Chumpchange,
It was no problem at all. :)
I'm glad everything worked out and there wasent anymore damage. Hope to see you out again soon. :)
Nice little storm huh ? :cool:

No Name
07-17-2006, 07:18 AM
The boating community could always use more people like Mr H.

JetBoatRich
07-17-2006, 07:34 AM
I have heard of this happening to others :yuk: people don't have better things to do then mess with your stuff :yuk:

syke-o
07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
glad to hear peeps came to help and not just point and laugh at you...

Havasu Luvr
07-17-2006, 07:50 AM
I had a simaliar story as my trailer came off the ball too. I was retrieving the boat out of storage earlier this year. My extreme trailer pin will ONLY lock if the hitch is seated on the ball (same ball since I bought the boat). I also look at the finished work to make sure everything is ok. Left the storage facility and onto the street and the first bump the tongue came off the ball slamming onto the street and sliding under my dually. The 7 pin connector on the bumper and the crank tower on the trailer took the most damage. I could NOT figure out how it happen. I always double check everything prior to departing whether it's a trailer, 5th wheel or what ever. STRANGE ! ! ! After I returned to my place and woke up the girls I was shaking, just the thought if it came lose traveling 50mph on Hwy 95.... WOW ! What could have happen????

Not So Fast
07-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Mr. Harley is a nice guy even though he has a DCB :D My old boat trailer had trouble dropping down past a sort of lip on the ball and it would just sit on it without being locked down even if the closure was locked. Sort of scary, I did it one time going to get gas and remembered about 1/2 there that I didnt check it, sure enough it was just floating so to speak on the top of the ball, YIKES, check it EVERYTIME NOW. Glad everything turned out OK. NSF

coolchange
07-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Make sure your latch mechanism is tight enough. They can loosen up. You should be able to jack the TRUCK up with a jack under the tongue. Seems there was a lot of trailers being messed with a while ago, maybe they think its funny again.

DILLIGAF
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
That is why I check and lock my trailer everywhere I go. I had a trailer come off one time and it scared the shit out of me. Nobody got hurt and no damage but it could have killed someone.

RitcheyRch
07-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience if losing the trailer but thankfully someone was nice enough to lend a hand. Definitely need more people at the launch ramps like that.

Hardly Satisfied
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Chumpchange,
It was no problem at all. :)
I'm glad everything worked out and there wasent anymore damage. Hope to see you out again soon. :)
Nice little storm huh ? :cool:
PROPS to Craig He is a awesome guy

MR HARLEY
07-17-2006, 10:19 AM
The boating community could always use more people like Mr H.
Thank you. :)
PROPS to Craig He is a awesome guy
Thanks Ed, but definetly props also to my brother and our friend Eric without them also in their druken state :rollside: we wouldnt have got out of there as quick as we did.
Again I'm very glad everything worked out for the best with no major damage, and we could all go home and enjoy the rest of the evening with friends and family.

Beer-30
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
I firmly believe most all of us here are the same in this manner. I have re-wired a starter to get some nice peeps in a daycruiser going. The had pulled into Steamboat for some beverages. They pushed off to go to dinner and were suddenly just floating in the middle. I retrieved them and found a neutral safety switch for his TH400 had given up. I think anyone here would do this also.
When the guy at BV sank his jet, we helped retrieve his floating gear and helped get the boat on the trailer.
We are all out to do the same thing at the lake, so it only makes sense that we all help each other out. It's all good.
Fortunately, it seems that there are only a few folks out there that do help - because there only seem to be a few mishaps. If we had more mishaps, it would seem there are alot more helpful people.

ChumpChange
07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Again I'm very glad everything worked out for the best with no major damage, and we could all go home and enjoy the rest of the evening with friends and family.
No damage at all except for a dented bumper which I have a client obtaining as I type(he owns a salvage yard) so it's all good to go. Without you guys there, my boat probably would have sat there ten more minutes as all I could do was stare in shock after going for that ride on a runaway trailer.
The somewhat good part is that since this happened, I didn't feel like towing the boat home on Sunday as planned. I put it back in storage after a half-day Sunday and I'm going to need to go back up this weekend for some more fun.

Beer-30
07-17-2006, 10:39 AM
The somewhat good part is that since this happened, I didn't feel like towing the boat home on Sunday as planned. I put it back in storage after a half-day Sunday and I'm going to need to go back up this weekend for some more fun.
If it's not going to sell, you might as well use it! :rollside:

ChumpChange
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
If it's not going to sell, you might as well use it! :rollside:
I hadn't used it since February due to so many things going on. After getting to take it out again, I questioned myself on why I am actually selling it. I love boating.

craiginlaverne
07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I deliver new boat trailers all over so cal everyday. Sometimes You think the coupler is locked but its not. I ALWAYS lower the jack until it drops onto the ball. then i lock the coupler down,THEN I lower the jack to see if the the trailer lifts off the ball. I even do that after I jerk the truck forward to really make sure its locked. you cant be too careful. BUT in this case, i think somebody messed with your trailer. People are A-holes!! :220v:

BigDoug
07-19-2006, 08:58 PM
I agree, i think some dingleberry messed with your trailer. :220v:

RitcheyRch
07-20-2006, 04:06 AM
I do the same thing. Never can be too careful.
I deliver new boat trailers all over so cal everyday. Sometimes You think the coupler is locked but its not. I ALWAYS lower the jack until it drops onto the ball. then i lock the coupler down,THEN I lower the jack to see if the the trailer lifts off the ball. I even do that after I jerk the truck forward to really make sure its locked. you cant be too careful. BUT in this case, i think somebody messed with your trailer. People are A-holes!! :220v:

Sigus
07-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Matt glad everything worked out OK.

JustMVG
07-20-2006, 07:39 AM
I firmly believe most all of us here are the same in this manner. I have re-wired a starter to get some nice peeps in a daycruiser going. The had pulled into Steamboat for some beverages. They pushed off to go to dinner and were suddenly just floating in the middle. I retrieved them and found a neutral safety switch for his TH400 had given up. I think anyone here would do this also.
When the guy at BV sank his jet, we helped retrieve his floating gear and helped get the boat on the trailer.
We are all out to do the same thing at the lake, so it only makes sense that we all help each other out. It's all good.
Fortunately, it seems that there are only a few folks out there that do help - because there only seem to be a few mishaps. If we had more mishaps, it would seem there are alot more helpful people.
I firmly believe and try to pass it on to as many boating friends as i can, that even though you might think it's a pain or a hassle or chore, help someone out on the water if you can sure it may take a bit of time, but it will be worth it because there are others who will help you. Boaters are a different breed we take care of our own, but if your the only guy we're ever helping you gotta learn to fix your stuff :p

ChumpChange
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Matt glad everything worked out OK.
I think what may have happened is somebody saw me riding on your DCB and wanted to retaliate against me. Everybody hates DCBs afterall. :D :D :D

ChumpChange
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I ALWAYS lower the jack until it drops onto the ball. then i lock the coupler down,THEN I lower the jack to see if the the trailer lifts off the ball.
I like this idea and will be doing it from now on.