PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Marine Association - Come Join

UncleLarry
07-17-2006, 09:41 AM
This link gives an overview of the reformation of the Lake Havasu Marine Association. This association has been around for years mainly producing the Boat Show here each spring.
Lake Havasu Marine Association (http://www.411havasu.com/LHMA.pdf)
It has been reformed to take an extremely active role in everything boating here in Lake Havasu. Their will be two membership levels - one is a non- voting associate membership, a level mainly for individuals who want their voice heard that cost will be $50/yr. The other for any and all type businesses and for individuals who want to take an active role in the association, that fee is $250/yr.
I am hoping all of you who enjoy Lake Havasu will at least show your support with the associate membership and for those of you that can we appreciate your full support with your $250 dues.
Soon as we are up and running we will be hiring an executive director to run this association. As a member you will be asked to serve on one of the committee's - as boaters its our responsibility to be involved in what happens on this lake and in our industry. For too long individuals, companies, associations and governmental agencies NOT involved in the marine industry have been making all the rules. The Lake Havasu Marine Association with a large membership will be able to make sure our voices are heard before action is taken. Oh yes - somehow yours truly "Uncle Larry" got elected president of the association.
Join Today - Get Two Friends to Join Today - Lets make this happen. Checks should be make out to the Lake Havasu Marine Association and can be mailed to:
Lake Havasu Marine Association
C/o Jokers Wild Promotions
1642 McCulloch Blvd N. #164
Lake Havasu City, Az. 86403
Don't miss the first meeting - Wednesday at 6:30, Hampton Inn, London Bridge Road, Lake Havasu City.

riverracerx
07-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Do I get a pledge pin?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Larry, this is nice, but what kinda legal, political pull will this have with the city govt, in other words, would this committee have enough power to say get another "new marina" built, seems Lake Pleasant isn't having any problems with getting one built?? How many voting members will be on this board? Who will this board report to? What does this membership really do for the boaters who join? Is this a powerboaters deal or a sailboaters deal, seems the sailboaters had ALOT OF PULL at the havasu marina !!
Supposedly based on some things I've read written by City Council members there are plans already in the works for an additional launch ramp somehwere and an additional marina at Contact Point. However, they are probably years away as is everything it seems.

UncleLarry
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
To HuffPower ...
You asked......but what kinda legal, political pull will this have with the city govt, in other words, would this committee have enough power to say get another "new marina" built,
The same pull any association has - the more members (especially arizona voters) and the more money an association has the more it can make a difference..
You asked....reagarding marina's
"seems Lake Pleasant isn't having any problems with getting one built?? "
Currently a group of residents and businesses in Lake Havasu are working with the state for some land to build a 500 slip marina - NO ONE from the Marine Industry has been involved. However since the announcement about 3 weeks ago that the Lake Havasu Marine Association was reforming - I have received a call from the main person/group pushing for this marina (it's part of a project that includes a 4 yr college and resort hotel) and he asked us the Marine Association to now take an active role in the planning of this marina.
You asked....
"How many voting members will be on this board? "
The board consists of 7 members - plus at the meetings the full membership will also be involved.
You asked...
"Who will this board report to? "
We report to the membership - if they don't like what we do - the can vote us out and put in whom they do want.
You asked...
"What does this membership really do for the boaters who join? Is this a powerboaters deal or a sailboaters deal, seems the sailboaters had ALOT OF PULL at the havasu marina !!"
It will represent the local marine industry and anyone else who has an interest in the waterways, the industry and Lake Havasu. We will represent the marine industy to the city council - just so you know ....
Recently their was an study done that showed the marine industry in Lake Havasu (not counting hotels or tourists) has an annual economic output of nearly $191 million. Total payroll for the marine industry in Lake Havasu equals almost $30 million. Employment growth by this industry is up 53% while the other industries has grown by 29%.
Each marine job in Lake Havasu supports another .52 jobs in our city. Annual tax revenues generated by the local marine industry is estimated to be over $14 million - $6.9 million in Federal taxes and $7.2 million in state and local taxes.
This industry is who we will represent along with the individual boater who knows if you want to keep your waterways open you have to be involved. And of course education and boating safetly will be two other priorities.

Ultra5150
07-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Do I get a pledge pin?
Is that a PLEDGE PIN I see on your uniform??????!!!!!

That Guy
07-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Larry...thank you and way overdue...I for one (and I know of many others) are very tired of one of the most important voices (the boaters) being completely ignored as this council rolls out more and more ridiculous rules and stabs in the dark to "clean up" Havasu. We had talked about getting some sort of lobbying organization to help our voices be heard several years ago and this sounds like it is a really good start.
I will drop you a check in the mail and I encourage the rest of you who would like the boaters voice to at least be heard around things that affect Havasu to do the same.....thanks. :)