PDA

View Full Version : New Channel Ordinance arrests

H20Advantage
07-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Two arrested on new channel ordinance, even though they were not in the channel????
BY MICHAEL HAYS
Monday, July 17, 2006 11:47 PM MDT
Two people have experienced first hand which areas of behavior a new ordinance could apply.
Over the weekend, police arrested two people, one from Lake Havasu City, during separate incidents in town. Police cited the new ordinance in both arrest reports.
On July 11, City Council gave final approval on a broad ordinance to address behavior in public places.
Joaquin Mendoza, 28, of Los Angeles, allegedly urinated on a car on the 1400 block of Queens Bay. Police arrested him on Sunday. His citation reads in part, “Offensive Conduct in Public Places (section 9.12.070).”
Early Monday morning, police arrested Brian Bilodeau, 23, of Lake Havasu City for “using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.” Bilodeau allegedly committed that offense while at a bar on McCulloch Boulevard. Section 9.12.070 was specifically cited in this arrest report as well.
Passed last Tuesday, that section cited effectively added language to an existing ordinance. It reads: “prohibiting individuals who are intoxicated, and/or who are violent, seriously disruptive, unreasonably loud, or who utter abusive, obscene or offensive language, or engage in indecent exposure, remaining in any public place as defined herein and prescribing penalties for the violation thereof.”
Violators could be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable with a fine up to $2,500 and/or a prison sentence not to exceed six months. Class 1 is the highest class of misdemeanor crime.
The impetus behind the new ordinance can be traced back to Memorial Day weekend. During a May 30 meeting, Interim Police Chief Dan Doyle stated to councilmembers that the officers' job would be easier if the groups causing problems and inciting others could be forced to leave the park.
Upon the direction of council, Interim City Attorney Paul Lenkowsky drafted the ordinance to give police a “broad-based tool,” in his words.

RitcheyRch
07-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Interesting.

uvindex
07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Two arrested on new channel ordinance, even though they were not in the channel????The new law is part of the Lake Havasu City Municipal Code and applies to public places in the city, not just the channel.

BoatFloating
07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Early Monday morning, police arrested Brian Bilodeau, 23, of Lake Havasu City for “using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.” Bilodeau allegedly committed that offense while at a bar on McCulloch Boulevard. Section 9.12.070 was specifically cited in this arrest report as well
Are you kidding me...... Am I missing something or did free speech in Havasu go the way of the Doo Doo Bird..... So you can't get drunk on private property...... The interm city attorney shouldn't get too comfortable in the seat. Somebody going to sue the city and own half the London Bridge.

H20Advantage
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
The new law is part of the Lake Havasu City Municipal Code and applies to public places in the city, not just the channel.
I realize this is City Municipal code but all the uproar was about the channel and that was the point of making the ordinance.
I guess if you have a few drinks and walk out of a bar an flip someone off then the law applies also.

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Wasn't City Guy on here a yesterday saying that the ordinance didn't go into effect for 30 days after it was posted, which was the 17th of August??? :idea:
Guess they just make shit up as they go in Havi now. :notam:
Larry, you're about a month too early on when the ordinance goes into effect. In fact, it will likely officially go into effect on or about August 17 (30 days after posting, which will probably be today 7-17).
For some reason, probably misunderstanding or misinterpretation, this new ordinance is getting a lot of negative attention. The ordinance is being enacted simply to give the LEOs more flexibility to arrest people who are being so obnoxious that the people around them are complaining. How can that be a bad thing?
Most folks may not be aware that Arizona state law does not prohibit being intoxicated in public, which can limit the options available to a police officer dealing with a drunk. This new ordinance simply prohibits public intoxication in Lake Havasu City and allows the police to arrest someone who is offending others around them by being drunk, and/or playing offensive music too loud, and/or exposing themselves in an offensive or indecent manner, and/or any number of other offensive behaviors.
I am sure everyone reading this can think of at least one instance where someone nearby was acting like such a total jerk that they wished the cops would take him away before he ruined everyone's day. Chances are good that the cops were aware and felt the same way about the guy, but unfortunately, it's not illegal to be drunk and act like a jerk under state law. This ordinance changes that in LHC and now the cops can remove the moron who is offending others around him.
I hope this helps clarify this issue...
Charlie
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2054553#post2054553

Jbb
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
No more public urination?..... :jawdrop: ...Looks like Brown will be changing his vacation destination :p

Kachina26
07-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Whatever happened to our rights to express our feelings about someone by urinating on their vehicle? :rolleyes: Sorry, but I ain't gonna get worked up over some drunk getting popped for urinating in public or walking around screaming obcenities. Seems those laws are in place in many communities throughout this country.

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:21 AM
This ordinance changes that in LHC and now the cops can remove the moron who is offending others around him.
Is it just me, or does this little summation just scare the bejezzus out of others as well??? Seems very vague and open to interpretation in the level of offending others. I understand the common courtesy thing when you're in a group of mixed backgrounds, such as a setting like the Channel, however it seems to me that if you roll up and have something on your stereo that the tea totallers in the boat or on the beach find offensive (and it could just be something they don't listen to, not even explicit lyrics) you're off to the greybar inn. Unbelievable. :notam:

HavasuSelect
07-18-2006, 08:31 AM
“using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.”
That is the most ridiculous part. I'm sure if the police caught the guys pissing on the car before this law they would have still cited him. But now they're taking away the 1st ammendement. This definetely has lawsuit written all over it.

River918
07-18-2006, 08:33 AM
I was just wondering if Arizona has conspiracy laws...I ask this because of the new "public intoxication" law. Here's my reasoning: In California, for someone to be arrested for "Public Intoxication" (ie. drunk in public) it has to be shown that he/she is to intoxicated to care for the safety of themself or is a danger to the public (passed out on a side walk, stumbling into traffic, etc...) Under California law, a bartender or any establishment that serves alcohol, can be held responsible for knowingly serving alcohol to someone in that condition (something pretty obvious to notice).
Now, the new Arizona law seems pretty vague when it comes to "Public Intoxication." It seems someone can me arrested for being intoxicated when they can still care for themselves and/or others. I know there are alcoholics that operate from day to day while being intoxicated (functioning alcoholics)...So, if an establishment serves alcohol to someone that is considered "intoxicated" under the law can they be charged with conspiracy to commit the new oridinance...?
As an example, take a group of people that go out to dinner and one person out of the group (that isn't driving) has 4 or 5 beers. That person probably won't be to intoxicated to care for his/herself, but they might be "intoxicated" as described under the new law. During this scenerio, the server at the restaurant could also be charged with conspiracy to commit the crime (if those laws apply in Arizona).....Something that would be pretty hard to notice if the person drinking wasn't obviously to intoxicated to care for themself.
Just a question......

H20Advantage
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
“using offensive gestures and language while intoxicated.”
That is the most ridiculous part. I'm sure if the police caught the guys pissing on the car before this law they would have still cited him. But now they're taking away the 1st ammendement. This definetely has lawsuit written all over it.
There are generally ordinances out there in most cities covering Public Urination but I don't think the intent of the new Channel Ordinance was to be used for this.
This could get interesting to watch over time.

Hardly Satisfied
07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
wait until the next holiday comes, than we will see how many people they will get

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:39 AM
wait until the next holiday comes, than we will see how many people they will get
I'm sure the city accountants are getting their adding machines ready.... CHA-CHING!!!! $$$$$$$$$ :D :D :D

2Driver
07-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Freedom of speech is not a license to be an asshole. Personally I donÂ’t know if anyone could word the ordinance right that some lawyer wonÂ’t split hairs and some sympathetic jury wonÂ’t set the dirt bag free. Hey, look at OJ heÂ’s out playing golf today. :mad:
Bottom line is they are trying to put ordinances in effect to nail the knuckle heads. The same people that if you saw on the beach you would applaud the LE when they hauled them off. Most likely there will be some borderline arrests as they get this thing under control. Oh, Christ, my freedom, my freedom. :rolleyes:
Just try getting drunk and going to your own town center. Start flipping the shocker and scream F-U to passer byers. I bet you get a free tour of your local downtown facility real quick.

Jordy
07-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Bottom line is they are trying to put ordinances in effect to nail the knuckle heads. The same people that if you saw on the beach you would applaud the LE when they hauled them off.
That's just such a slippery slope though. Harvey and his crew have made it clear that they're no friend of the performance boaters stemming all the way down to his buddies at the Marina, and while I have no problem cleaning up the trash, where does it stop??? :notam:
Seems to me that public urination is already illegal, why wouldn't they cite that code??? As for the other "offensive" stuff, what's wrong with a disorderly conduct charge??? :notam:
And what happened to the 30 days before this ordinance would go into effect??? :idea:

BoatFloating
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Is it just me, or does this little summation just scare the bejezzus out of others as well??? Seems very vague and open to interpretation in the level of offending others. I understand the common courtesy thing when you're in a group of mixed backgrounds, such as a setting like the Channel, however it seems to me that if you roll up and have something on your stereo that the tea totallers in the boat or on the beach find offensive (and it could just be something they don't listen to, not even explicit lyrics) you're off to the greybar inn. Unbelievable. :notam:
The thing that bothers me is the city concil asked a legal question of the interm police chief....... Uh dumb sh*ts he enforces laws not interepts them. That is what your city attorney does who also interm. I tell you if this city doesn't pull their head out of their ass soon will be known as Lake Havasu East Germany...

havaduner
07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
I am screwed! I tend to flip people the finger as a term of endearment........

Havasu Cig
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Freedom of speech is not a license to be an asshole. Personally I donÂ’t know if anyone could word the ordinance right that some lawyer wonÂ’t split hairs and some sympathetic jury wonÂ’t set the dirt bag free. Hey, look at OJ heÂ’s out playing golf today. :mad:
Bottom line is they are trying to put ordinances in effect to nail the knuckle heads. The same people that if you saw on the beach you would applaud the LE when they hauled them off. Most likely there will be some borderline arrests as they get this thing under control. Oh, Christ, my freedom, my freedom. :rolleyes:
Just try getting drunk and going to your own town center. Start flipping the shocker and scream F-U to passer byers. I bet you get a free tour of your local downtown facility real quick.
Actually flipping someone off, cursing etc... is protected speach. When I was in L.E. in California you could not arrest or cite on these actions alone. You could arrest if there were other action that went along with the speach, but not on the speach alone. I think Havasu might have a 1st amendement problem here.

RiverDave
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
There are generally ordinances out there in most cities covering Public Urination but I don't think the intent of the new Channel Ordinance was to be used for this.
This could get interesting to watch over time.
EXACTLY THE POINT I WAS MAKING LAST WEEK!! This wasn't what the ordinance was intended for!! Give cops an inch though and that's what they do, this new ordinance is going to be used for all kinds of shit it wasn't intended for.
I once got a urinating in public ticket in Dana point, it was a 250.00 dollar ticket in a pretty nice uppity town that's pretty strict about everything. Apparently Dana Point doesn't have shit on the "New" Havasu.. 2500.00 bucks and up to 6 months in jail? WTF?
Now don't get me wrong, I don't think people should be pissing on peoples cars n what not, but if some guy has to make an emergency pit stop behind a building etc.. and gets caught then I don't think the punishment is exactly fitting the crime now days?
2500 bucks for flipping the bird? I thought it wasn't even illegal to flip the bird to be honest? I don't do it very often becuase I don't feel the need too, but if someone wants to isn't that their right?
Well City Guy? What is there to say about this?
RD

SurfOnH20
07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Free speech and being an ASS are two seperate issues...

Jordy
07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
2500.00 bucks and up to 6 months in jail?
That's the max in AZ for a Class 1 misdemeanor. Not necessarily what the judge will be handing down, however, with the way things seem to be going in Havi, you never can tell. :notam:
On the flip side of a public urination ticket, depending on who is around, it can become an indecent exposure ticket, and if children are present, you'll be walking around and letting your neighbors know you're a registered sex offender. ;)

RiverDave
07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Actually in most cases they are one in the same! The 1st amendment protects your rights, but is usually put to the test by someone or some group acting like an ass!
I.E. Flag Burners, People yelling at cops, KKK/Neo Nazi Demonstrations, etc.. etc..
RD

Havasu Cig
07-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Not as far as the 1st amendment is concerned. The first amendement allows people to be stupid to a point. Your free speach still might get your ass kicked, but it does not mean it is not protected.

ThongMagnet
07-18-2006, 09:29 AM
The thing that bothers me is I usually right my name, and some of my best works of art during Urination. Normally behind the circle K that does not allow me to use their restroom.
I never thought of a vehicle parked at the Queens as a media to express my artistic talant. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Drift
07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Where's BoatCop when you need him.... :)
Oh man those 4 cups of coffe are running though me. I'll be right back, gonna take care of some business in the parking lot. :crossx:

CityGuy
07-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Below is a message I just sent to the local and regional media:
Greetings –
Yesterday I distributed a fact sheet and copy of a new ordinance that amends Chapter 9.12 of the City Municipal Code entitled “Offenses Against Public Peace.”
Both my e-mail message and the fact sheet indicated that the ordinance goes into effect on or about August 17, 2006. The City Clerk has informed me that the official date is August 18. This information is correct despite a report in this morningÂ’s newspaper stating that two individuals were arrested under the new ordinance over the weekend. Regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council, but had not yet taken effect. Although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section. I hope this information helps clarify this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 928-854-4212.
Thank you –
Charlie Cassens, Manager
Communications & Intergovernmental Affairs
Office of the City Manager
Lake Havasu City, Arizona

uvindex
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
the charges will be withdrawnI wonder if urinating boy peed on another car to celebrate his new freedom! :rollside:

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Greetings –
Yesterday I distributed a fact sheet and copy of a new ordinance that amends Chapter 9.12 of the City Municipal Code entitled “Offenses Against Public Peace.”
Both my e-mail message and the fact sheet indicated that the ordinance goes into effect on or about August 17, 2006. The City Clerk has informed me that the official date is August 18. This information is correct despite a report in this morningÂ’s newspaper stating that two individuals were arrested under the new ordinance over the weekend. Regrettably, the officers were unaware of the delay in the effective date of the ordinance, and made the arrests citing a section of the Code that had been formally adopted by City Council, but had not yet taken effect. Although both of the offenses could have been charged under other provisions of the Code, the charges will be withdrawn because they were charged under a currently invalid Section. I hope this information helps clarify this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 928-854-4212.
Thank you –
Charlie Cassens, Manager
You would think the chief of police might properly brief his officers on the effective date of a new law.....:confused:
Embarrassing....: :argue:

DILLIGAF
07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
You just have to love Havasu.....lol

Water Romper
07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
I always thought “urination in public” was illegal. I understand if you gotta go, you gotta go but I think being discreet and out of the “public eye” would have been the better choice as opposed to pissing on a car…Imagine coming out of a restaurant with your family and seeing some a-hole with his dick hanging out peeing on your car or boat? :mad: :mad:

RitcheyRch
07-18-2006, 10:15 AM
This has to be embarrassing to the City Council as well as the Chief of Police.
Quote from CityGuy:
Greetings –
Thank you –
Charlie Cassens, Manager

slink
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Greetings –
Thank you –
Charlie Cassens, Manager
I guess this gives all of those DCB haters full rein to piss on trailer tires for the next 30 days. Better keep an eye out Kilr :) :)

Jbb
07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=RiverDave
I once got a urinating in public ticket in Dana point
lol....Lil Mr......misting in public..... :p
I thought it wasn't even illegal to flip the bird to be honest? I don't do it very often becuase I don't feel the need to wear a cast on my arm for another 4 months......lmao...
Well City Guy? What is there to say about this?
RD[/QUOTE]

desertbird
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I tell you if this city doesn't pull their head out of their ass soon will be known as Lake Havasu East Germany...
Maybe the can buy the pieces of the Berlin Wall and put it up next to London Bridge!!!!! :crossx: :argue: :crossx:
Honestly, I understand the concern about the 1st amendment, but we are not talking about an ACLU case here. One idiot was pissing on a car, and another being an a-hole and shouting obscenities in public. Would you have liked to enjoyed an evening with either one?
Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
2500 bucks for flipping the bird?
A LEO could earn a lot of revenue for the city by hanging out with me.
Here's one directed my way....
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/birdy.jpg

superdave013
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
so today we are in an uproar because someone got put in the clink for pissing on a car.
next week it will be some azz hole pissed on my truck in Havi!! lol
:p :p

Jbb
07-18-2006, 12:12 PM
A LEO could earn a lot of revenue for the city by hanging out with me.
Here's one directed my way....
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/birdy.jpg
Is that Hippo he is eating?

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Is that Hippo he is eating?
That came later when he showed us how to "pull some wool" from Fox's. :D :D :D

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
so today we are in an uproar because someone got put in the clink for pissing on a car.
next week it will be some azz hole pissed on my truck in Havi!! lol
We had a young guy working here a few years ago. Right out of school. The first thing he did after getting a job was buy a brand new Pontiac GTP.
He loved the car and went on and on about it. He just wouldn't shut up.
... so somebody pissed in the cowl grill while it was in the company parking lot.
He took it to the dealer but they wouldn't warranty it. He tried to make a fuss but apparently they said something like, "Perhaps you don't understand what warranty is for." :D :D
There's nothing like cranking up the heater in a two week old car and getting a face full of pungent warm urine scent. :D

uvindex
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
... so somebody pissed in the cowl grill while it was in the company parking lot.I'll bet there were traces of bran in that piss. :D

probablecause
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Whatever happened to our rights to express our feelings about someone by urinating on their vehicle? :rolleyes: Sorry, but I ain't gonna get worked up over some drunk getting popped for urinating in public or walking around screaming obcenities. Seems those laws are in place in many communities throughout this country.
Exactly! A$$holes got what A$$holes deserved.

Jordy
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
So the peeing on a car out of the channel probably wasn't the best example, however, you are missing the bigger picture here, and that is, the officers were so eager to use this new ordinance that they bypassed a state law that's already in place against public urination to use this ordinance that ISN'T EVEN VALID YET!!! Just a sign of bad things to come. They're chomping at the bit folks. :notam:

Magic34
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I had a friend get a ticket in Pinetop, AZ, a small town in the White Mountains of AZ. Tons of Pine trees and mountains, about 7500 ft elevation.
Anyways, his ticket was for pissing in the woods and it was cited "disturbing the elk." Apparantly when a human pisses in the woods, it screws with the local wildlife.

Dave C
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Agree..... you have a god given right to be an ass-whole...
Not as far as the 1st amendment is concerned. The first amendement allows people to be stupid to a point. Your free speach still might get your ass kicked, but it does not mean it is not protected.

probablecause
07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I had a friend get a ticket in Pinetop, AZ, a small town in the White Mountains of AZ. Tons of Pine trees and mountains, about 7500 ft elevation.
Anyways, his ticket was for pissing in the woods and it was cited "disturbing the elk." Apparantly when a human pisses in the woods, it screws with the local wildlife.
I'd piss all over the bark beetle if I could. Ooops, I think that is allowed now!

ThongMagnet
07-18-2006, 02:30 PM
So the peeing on a car out of the channel probably wasn't the best example, however, you are missing the bigger picture here, and that is, the officers were so eager to use this new ordinance that they bypassed a state law that's already in place against public urination to use this ordinance that ISN'T EVEN VALID YET!!! Just a sign of bad things to come. They're chomping at the bit folks. :notam:
It's all about who gets to write the first ticket. I'm sure there were a few side bets going on down at the station :) :)

2Driver
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
We were up there cutting down a X-mas tree last December and I took a dump in the woods. I guess that really set the Elk off. :rollside:

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 02:50 PM
[b]
I once got a urinating in public ticket in Dana Point, it was a 250.00 dollar ticket in a pretty nice uppity town that's pretty strict about everything. Apparently Dana Point doesn't have shit on the "New" Havasu.. 2500.00 bucks and up to 6 months in jail? WTF?
RD
I warned the local sheriffs to keep an eye out for you when you're in Dana Point, Dave...:D
I've been pretty lucky with those guys actually. I was stopped a couple weeks ago, making a legel "U" turn but kinda crossed over into the oncoming lane as the sheriff was coming right at me.....I got a truck full of drunk guys and we're pulling into Hennesey's bar. He pulls me over, looks at my license, and tells me "in the U.S. we drive on the right side of the road" and walks away.
A week later, I'm driving down to Hennesey's in my BMW with a "go cup" in my hand with Vodka and Red Bull, I'm taking a swig and drive right by a sheriff at a stop sign, who's looking right at me. He pulls me over, runs my license and tags, I leave the cup sitting in plain sight thinking I don't want to attract his attention to it since I know he saw it (I'm not drunk, it was my first drink, but I'm thinking I'm getting busted for open container), he walks back and says "get your front license plate on, if I see you again without it, you're getting a ticket" and walks away.
I got my front plate on and don't do that dumb shit anymore.
I've been lucky.... :idea:
:rollside:

Cdi= Chikz dig it
07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
The bottom line is, Havasu PD as a whole, has a reputation as being un-able to differentiate between letter of the law and spirit of the law…. You hear all kinds of horror stories from residents, and vacationers, about “seriously questionable arrests and citations”. This law is a prime example of how they are going to continue to find anyway to arrest and cite someone… This was predicted to happen. There are plenty of tools already at their disposal however the officers are going to use this law as a “catch all” all over town. Rather than use existing law and cite for the appropriate section, they will chose an easy-out. That will cost them, and these latest arrests are a prime example. Was their no training on how and when to use this section? It should be a last resort, not the first option. If the City Council spent even half the energy on the Meth problem in town as it does on channel issues, this wouldn’t even be an issue… The PD, as always, is acting at the direction of its administrators, which is a shame, probably to push arrest stats to get more money and more cops. I don’t know about you, but as a resident, I would be more impressed with more aggressive issues out in town, not on that small body of water. There are good cops on the dept, believe me, but there are some bad apples that need to be put in check. Look at the stats, homicides, burglaries, fatal traffic accidents, robberies, these aren’t occurring in the channel, they are up in town people… …The channel has its share of drunks and T & A, but is that really the end of it all. Lets get our priorities straight. Remember, if you can legally burn the American flag as a freedom of speech, you certainly can tell someone to “F-off”. As earlier stated, they are going to arrest the wrong guy one of these days, and we as tax payers are going to be paying for the misguided council again….what a shame!!!! As much as I hate the NAACP, they will be the councils worst nitemare soon.....I’m done venting now…= )

RiverDave
07-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I warned the local sheriffs to keep an eye out for you when you're in Dana Point, Dave...:D
I've been pretty lucky with those guys actually. I was stopped a couple weeks ago, making a legel "U" turn but kinda crossed over into the oncoming lane as the sheriff was coming right at me.....I got a truck full of drunk guys and we're pulling into Hennesey's bar. He pulls me over, looks at my license, and tells me "in the U.S. we drive on the right side of the road" and walks away.
A week later, I'm driving down to Hennesey's in my BMW with a "go cup" in my hand with Vodka and Red Bull, I'm taking a swig and drive right by a sheriff at a stop sign, who's looking right at me. He pulls me over, runs my license and tags, I leave the cup sitting in plain sight thinking I don't want to attract his attention to it since I know he saw it (I'm not drunk, it was my first drink, but I'm thinking I'm getting busted for open container), he walks back and says "get your front license plate on, if I see you again without it, you're getting a ticket" and walks away.
I got my front plate on and don't do that dumb shit anymore.
I've been lucky.... :idea:
:rollside:
Strangely enough pissing on the tree in the Hennesee's parking lot is where I got my ticket.. :D It was closing time and I was outside smoking. Tried to go back in to use the bathroom and the bouncers weren't having it. Started to walk to the chevron and said "F it" there wasn't really anybody around so I went up to the tree and let loose.. Apparently In the darkness I didn't notice the black hood of a police car sitting literally 5' from where this was happening. The guy was a dick and his 1st words were "There was no way I was talking my way out of this one." I explained my position and he started giving me shit so I just sat there in silence. Then he asked me to sit on the push bumper thing / hood of his car.. As he was writing me the ticket I oblidged him and put a nice large ass shaped dent into the hood of his cruiser. Took my ticket gave him the finger (good thing I wasn't in Havasu could've gotten arrested and a 2500 ticket for that?) becuase he was a prick, got into a taxi and rolled back to my buddies house.
RD

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Yea, Dave, they are all over Hennessey's around closing time, since it's about the only place to go. I've walked home or taken a taxi probably as often as I drive home.
:cool:

2Driver
07-18-2006, 03:32 PM
As much as I hate the NAACP, they will be the councils worst nitemare soon.....IÂ’m done venting nowÂ…= )
I think you mean ACLU not NAACP
You are right above. I think everyone agrees the pendulum was thrown a bit too far. Here's the real problemIMO: The ordinance may very well be yanked for obvious reasons. If that happens the city will have a very difficult time ever landing on the right wording without lawyers/groups picking it apart. It could take years and reams of paper to get something back on the books that everyone agrees on.

Nord
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Its funny because the thread "no dancing in the channel" reminds me of that Footloose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

BoatFloating
07-18-2006, 07:06 PM
The bottom line is, Havasu PD as a whole, has a reputation as being un-able to differentiate between letter of the law and spirit of the law…. You hear all kinds of horror stories from residents, and vacationers, about “seriously questionable arrests and citations”. This law is a prime example of how they are going to continue to find anyway to arrest and cite someone… This was predicted to happen. There are plenty of tools already at their disposal however the officers are going to use this law as a “catch all” all over town. Rather than use existing law and cite for the appropriate section, they will chose an easy-out. That will cost them, and these latest arrests are a prime example. Was their no training on how and when to use this section? It should be a last resort, not the first option. If the City Council spent even half the energy on the Meth problem in town as it does on channel issues, this wouldn’t even be an issue… The PD, as always, is acting at the direction of its administrators, which is a shame, probably to push arrest stats to get more money and more cops. I don’t know about you, but as a resident, I would be more impressed with more aggressive issues out in town, not on that small body of water. There are good cops on the dept, believe me, but there are some bad apples that need to be put in check. Look at the stats, homicides, burglaries, fatal traffic accidents, robberies, these aren’t occurring in the channel, they are up in town people… …The channel has its share of drunks and T & A, but is that really the end of it all. Lets get our priorities straight. Remember, if you can legally burn the American flag as a freedom of speech, you certainly can tell someone to “F-off”. As earlier stated, they are going to arrest the wrong guy one of these days, and we as tax payers are going to be paying for the misguided council again….what a shame!!!! As much as I hate the NAACP, they will be the councils worst nitemare soon.....I’m done venting now…= )
Very well said.... The Meth problem in Havasu contributes to Homcides, Burglaries, Robberies and vehicle and boat thefts all point to the Meth problem but they rather arrest someone at a bar flipping someone off at a bar. I'm sure there is more to both stories but arrest some crack heads....

jtmarten
07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Scares the sh!t out of me. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights that says we have the right to NOT be offended.
All I can say to those that are easily offended - grow some thicker skin you punk asses! Every US citizen has the right to free speech; none have the right to NOT be offended.
Damn punk asses, now you got me all riled up! :argue:

mike37
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
well at least they have proved that 50% of the problem is the locals
and not just vacationers and boaters

probablecause
07-19-2006, 05:49 AM
well at least they have proved that 50% of the problem is the locals
and not just vacationers and boaters
That is what the City needs to do after a year. Take a look at all of the Cites/Arrests based on this Muni Code and see how many were "locals" and how many weren't.

centerhill condor
07-19-2006, 06:29 AM
rights make the headline,... responsiblity doesn't make the back page.

Not So Fast
07-19-2006, 06:51 AM
And now to make LHC Police Dept look even more stupid the paper says this morning that the 3 people arrested under this new ordinance will have to be released because it was not to be enacted for 30 days from it's passage!! :confused: NSF

sorry dog
07-19-2006, 06:55 AM
I ****ing want my free ****ing ****speech back.

steve d
07-19-2006, 07:02 AM
Try this in my area and add pissing on a car----there's a possible free tour to the coroner. ------

2Driver
07-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Freedom of speech is not a license to put other's in harm's way, it's pretty much definately a license to be the biggest asshole you want to be.
I guess that is what I was trying to say. Thanks, asshole is too subjective of a term

Jordy
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
I think you mean ACLU not NAACP
Could be the NAACP if they arrest Jesse Jackson in the channel. :D :D :D