PDA

View Full Version : Doggie seizures.....

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
:cry: Oh my gosh you guys, Skylar has been having seizures and Friday night she had a Grand mal, with full blown thrashing, peeing, howling, frothing at the mouth and everything...I thought she was going to die. The kids were crying and there was nothing I could do except keep her from hitting her head on the wall...Anyone else's dogs have these? The vet is putting her on Phenobarbitol(sp) now for the rest of her life...anyone have complications from this medication? Did it help your dogs? Any info and other experiences would help...Thanks...C
Here's our lil' doggie girl Skylar with our son Brett
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_1643.JPG

topless
07-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes and it is scary to watch them seize. My dog was put on the same stuff with no problems. The last seizure she had made her have a stroke and I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep. She is fine now though.

Phat Matt
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
That stuff works good. The hard part was having to give it twice a day. You have to plan around it.

Mrs.HLB
07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your doggie.. hope she will be ok. We had a male siberian husky that was on phenobarbitol. 2 a day. We put the pill in a hot dog and gave it to him that way. One in the morning and one at night. He was better with the med. But every once in a while he would have a small seizure. He never really did have a grad mal or very large seizures that we knew of. We had to put him down in 2004, the vet said he may have cancer in his stomach.Was not eating or keeping anything down. It was awful! He was 13. :cry: I don't know if that had to do with the meds. It sucks.. now I am paranoid when I watch my german shephard. Praying she doesn't have seizures or anything for that matter... good luck to you guys.
Mr.HLB

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Ugh!....
My daughter was on Phenobarbitol for the first year of her life.....
It destroys gross & fine motor skills after some time.....
Not that I know if a dog has any fine motor skills or not....
Not the most passionate drug.....
Good luck with her Cindy....
Later,
CJG
:frown:

victorfb
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
the dissorientation that follows the seisures is almost as difficult to watch and deal with. also know that the meds take up to a couple weeks to start working. so if you see small seizures and or the dissorientation, dont fret, the meds will begin to work. its very common for older dogs to be struck with this, but not to say younger dogs dont get it too. (most likely epilepsy). im sorry to hear about it but just know its not as uncommon as you might think. one of the burdons of pet ownership since the lifespans dont equal that of humans. its good you were concerned and responsible to take him/her to a vet and get treated. the sooner the better. as mentioned the seizues can cause complications and stroke. sounds like you did good and we are all hoping for a full recovery and happy long life.
BTW... Awsome pic....

ROZ
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Mom's dog went through the same thing for about 6 years.. After the doses of phenobarb were enough to kill a human, she had tests done to check the status of the dog's liver and decided to put him down after hearing the results. The dog was about 11 years old at time of death. He was a good campanion and is still missed to this day :)
Goodluck Mrs. bunny, it seems that they were worse when the weather was really hot and muggy for some reason...

Family Jewell
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog. Be thankful you were there to help him through it. We have a doxie that is on phenobarbital for seizures. He still has a small seizure once in a while. I can't tell you what will cause it but we just hold him until it passes. We give the phenobarb with the dogs meal twice a day and have had the doseage levels checked twice. So far so good. Other than that he lives a very normal life. Good Luck !

78Eliminator
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
I adopted my dog, Ziggy and shortly after I found out that he had seizures about once a month. After having him about 2 years, he finally had a very long seizure and at the end he passed away. Enjoy the time you have with your dog while he is still here. I am still broken up about the loss of my dog Ziggy.

pixilatedpussy
07-18-2006, 11:20 AM
:cry: Oh my gosh you guys, Skylar has been having seizures and Friday night she had a Grand mal, with full blown thrashing, peeing, howling, frothing at the mouth and everything...I thought she was going to die. The kids were crying and there was nothing I could do except keep her from hitting her head on the wall...Anyone else's dogs have these? The vet is putting her on Phenobarbitol(sp) now for the rest of her life...anyone have complications from this medication? Did it help your dogs? Any info and other experiences would help...Thanks...C
Pretty common hun. My old dog used to have them all the time. Lynne & Kathy have been dealing with Sophie having seizures for sometime now. How old is Sky now? It seems to happen when they are getting old. Good luck.

HCS
07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I had to have a dog put down because of seizures.
The meds only worked a short time for us.
Hopefully your dog will get better.

Party Cat
07-18-2006, 11:26 AM
We went through this whole thing in 1998-1999....We at the river all weekend and were about 2 hours from home on Sunday when my mom called us and told us that our 13 year old Sheltie had a seizure...She told us that she appeared ok, but when we got home, we rushed her to the vet...the vet checked her out and gave her the same medicine as yours...The vet told us that every case was different and the medicine may or may not help...for the next year we had regular checkups as we were told that the long term use of the medicine would eventually take it's toll on the dogs internals...for the 1st year...she only had 1 or 2 minor seizures....about 1 1/2 years after the 1st big seizure...she had another big one...I knew that the end was near as we took her to the vet...The vet said that her organs were starting to fail and it was time to put her down.....The medicine worked great with minimal side effects for us....we were happy that we got another 1 1/2 years...in all the dog lived almost 15 years.....
Good luck with yours dog....I hope she reacts well to the medicine....
PC

MR HARLEY
07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope she gets better.

SMILEMAKER
07-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Hope the Meds help. My three year old Boston Terror started having seizures. The medicine seemed to help, then at Four and a half, they got much worse, MRI showed inoperable brain-tumor, he went blind and had bad seizure and had to be put down. I still miss him to this day, alot!!!!
Dogs become part of the family! Good Luck, doc

Beer-30
07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
My choc lab has been on Phenobarbitol since he was less than 2. It doesn't completely do away with the seizures, it just "quiets" them. The main reason is heat. If they have seizures and don't bite their tongue or do damage to themselves, they are harmless. Being in 100+ degree heat all summer, the vet felt it would be wise to have him on meds so he doesn't overheat. They are already 102-103 and can get to 110 during a seizure in the heat. He said over 107-8 is brain damage time. He is 11 now, and doing just fine. Has it every night with his meal. In fact, I just re-ordered and have to pick up is prescription. It's cheap enough, though. Like $33 for 4 months.
He has a seizure (that we see, anyway) about once every 3-4 months. They are very mild, though.

edog_103
07-18-2006, 01:05 PM
My Dog "Mike" had his first one last year. The Vet told us, if he doesn't have them more then once every couple months or so not to worry as long as he doesn't have access to the pool. http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/2557/huntingmikekc0.jpg

DILLIGAF
07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Cindy. I hope the new medication helps out and solves the problem.

rojo4
07-18-2006, 01:45 PM
sorry to hear about your dog and your kids having to witness the seizure. I had a dog that we had to give phenobarb too twice a day. The medication really helped and he lived a longer then average life.

Hardly Satisfied
07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Bunny sorry to hear , hope things get better. It's hard on the kids to see him having those seizures and not know what might be happening. Let us know things come along with him.

Rexone
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
A couple more threads on this subject.... hang in there.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29662
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112638

lucky
07-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I feel for you and the kids ! Take care -- Chris

Windy
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Aww Cindy...Im sorry to hear this...I hope the medication helps.

PBOCOP
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I have a chocolate lab and he's about 7 now. No seizures yet. At least from reading this post I know to keep my eyes open for it.
I saw mention of the pool in one post. What was that reference too ? I moved to a house in Claremont about 2 years ago and I have a pool. My chocolate lab is in there at least a few times a day cooling off. Is that not good ?
PBO

topless
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
The pool thing was because when the dog is having a seizure and is too close to the pool, he could fall in and drown.

Sherpa
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
The pool thing was because when the dog is having a seizure and is too close to the pool, he could fall in and drown.
this scenbario happened to a student of mine in one of my tech classes
one day...... he had 2 goldens.... The guy was just devastated, and could
hardly finish the class...
--Sherpa

parker1356
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog - I realize you have gotten a lot of responses and the only thing I can ask is this ... Have you used any "Advantage" or "Frontline" flea and tick drops? Our lab looks just like yours and she had a couple seizures - not nearly as bad as your dog's - but as soon as we stopped the drops the seizures stopped. In talking with other dog owners, I heard similar experiences. She would be fine afterwards so we were puzzled. In eliminating contributing factors we found the chemicals in the flea drops and the way it is absorbed through their skin caused her seizures. Good luck and take care! Our pets are a gift of unconditional love!
Debbie

Debbolas
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
That is a good point. Our cat started shaking and seizing from an over the counter flea drop application. (needless to say we will never use it again....Hartz or something like that) He was ok as soon as it got out of his system.
My cock a poo when I was growing up had seiziers, he had to take medicine...all we could do when he seized was to hold his mouth closed and wait. He always peed during and vomited afterward.
I'm so sorry for you sweetie, I hope everything turns out ok........luv Deb

SOCALDETAIL1
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I had a dog that used to have them really bad, the vet said there was nothing that could have been done other then comfort her while she was having them and document everything from time and how often, that helped because you can monitor them and what triggers them like loud noises or other things, as my dog got older she had less and less of them, she lived her full long life despite what the vet said.

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes and it is scary to watch them seize. My dog was put on the same stuff with no problems. The last seizure she had made her have a stroke and I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep. She is fine now though.
Oh Al, I'm glad to hear your dog is doing well on this medication...Sorry for her little stroke...How scary! :cry:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:19 PM
That stuff works good. The hard part was having to give it twice a day. You have to plan around it.
Thanks Matt...Is Buddy on it? He seems healthy and fine to me...Sky will have to take it twice a day, too...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your doggie.. hope she will be ok. We had a male siberian husky that was on phenobarbitol. 2 a day. We put the pill in a hot dog and gave it to him that way. One in the morning and one at night. He was better with the med. But every once in a while he would have a small seizure. He never really did have a grad mal or very large seizures that we knew of. We had to put him down in 2004, the vet said he may have cancer in his stomach.Was not eating or keeping anything down. It was awful! He was 13. :cry: I don't know if that had to do with the meds. It sucks.. now I am paranoid when I watch my german shephard. Praying she doesn't have seizures or anything for that matter... good luck to you guys.
Mr.HLB
Thank you...Hot dogs are a good idea! :p I'm so sorry you lost your dog :cry: ...He sounds like he was very loved... :) I'm sure your German Shepard will be healthy and great! ;)

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Ugh!....
My daughter was on Phenobarbitol for the first year of her life.....
It destroys gross & fine motor skills after some time.....
Not that I know if a dog has any fine motor skills or not....
Not the most passionate drug.....
Good luck with her Cindy....
Later,
CJG
:frown:
Oh Chris, I'm sorry for your daughter! Poor thing....Thanks for the good luck wishes...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
the dissorientation that follows the seisures is almost as difficult to watch and deal with. also know that the meds take up to a couple weeks to start working. so if you see small seizures and or the dissorientation, dont fret, the meds will begin to work. its very common for older dogs to be struck with this, but not to say younger dogs dont get it too. (most likely epilepsy). im sorry to hear about it but just know its not as uncommon as you might think. one of the burdons of pet ownership since the lifespans dont equal that of humans. its good you were concerned and responsible to take him/her to a vet and get treated. the sooner the better. as mentioned the seizues can cause complications and stroke. sounds like you did good and we are all hoping for a full recovery and happy long life.
BTW... Awsome pic....
I hope the meds will kick in soon...Thanks for the kind words...I wish they lived longer than they do... :cry:
I love that pic, too...Thanks... :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Mom's dog went through the same thing for about 6 years.. After the doses of phenobarb were enough to kill a human, she had tests done to check the status of the dog's liver and decided to put him down after hearing the results. The dog was about 11 years old at time of death. He was a good campanion and is still missed to this day :)
Goodluck Mrs. bunny, it seems that they were worse when the weather was really hot and muggy for some reason...
OMGosh Roz! :cry: How sad....Poor baby...Thanks for the good luck and we'll watch the weather, since she's had them out at the river, too... :idea:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. Be thankful you were there to help him through it. We have a doxie that is on phenobarbital for seizures. He still has a small seizure once in a while. I can't tell you what will cause it but we just hold him until it passes. We give the phenobarb with the dogs meal twice a day and have had the doseage levels checked twice. So far so good. Other than that he lives a very normal life. Good Luck !
I'm sorry your little doxie is going through them,too...poor thing. I'm hoping the meds will keep ours from having another grand mal and only petitie mal ones from now on...it is awful to see and go through that... :cry: Glad to hear the meds are working well for you! :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I adopted my dog, Ziggy and shortly after I found out that he had seizures about once a month. After having him about 2 years, he finally had a very long seizure and at the end he passed away. Enjoy the time you have with your dog while he is still here. I am still broken up about the loss of my dog Ziggy.
Oh my gosh I am so sorry!! :frown: That is so sad...Ziggy was very lucky to have you in his brief life...Poor thing....I'm sorry for your loss... :cry:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Pretty common hun. My old dog used to have them all the time. Lynne & Kathy have been dealing with Sophie having seizures for sometime now. How old is Sky now? It seems to happen when they are getting old. Good luck.
Thanks T...Didn't know poor Taffy had them too..(I assume you're talking about her...) Hope Lynne and Kathy are coping OK with Sophie, poor girl...Our Sky Sky will be 9 this X-mas... :cry:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I had to have a dog put down because of seizures.
The meds only worked a short time for us.
Hopefully your dog will get better.
I'm so sorry for your loss....I hope the meds work for us, too, and I'm sorry they didn't help your precious doggie.... :cry: They are family...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
We went through this whole thing in 1998-1999....We at the river all weekend and were about 2 hours from home on Sunday when my mom called us and told us that our 13 year old Sheltie had a seizure...She told us that she appeared ok, but when we got home, we rushed her to the vet...the vet checked her out and gave her the same medicine as yours...The vet told us that every case was different and the medicine may or may not help...for the next year we had regular checkups as we were told that the long term use of the medicine would eventually take it's toll on the dogs internals...for the 1st year...she only had 1 or 2 minor seizures....about 1 1/2 years after the 1st big seizure...she had another big one...I knew that the end was near as we took her to the vet...The vet said that her organs were starting to fail and it was time to put her down.....The medicine worked great with minimal side effects for us....we were happy that we got another 1 1/2 years...in all the dog lived almost 15 years.....
Good luck with yours dog....I hope she reacts well to the medicine....
PC
I'm so sorry you lost your dog! :cry: Glad the medicine helped her to live a longer life with you and your family...We are hoping for that, too.... :clover: :clover:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope she gets better.
Thanks Craig... ;) Miss ya'...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Hope the Meds help. My three year old Boston Terror started having seizures. The medicine seemed to help, then at Four and a half, they got much worse, MRI showed inoperable brain-tumor, he went blind and had bad seizure and had to be put down. I still miss him to this day, alot!!!!
Dogs become part of the family! Good Luck, doc
Oh how sad! :cry: I'm sorry for your loss...They are like family for sure...Have you gotten another dog? Sometimes that helps with the sadness....

Acommanderguy
07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Bunny first and foremost Its very scary. My dog of 14 years just died on sunday. Prior to him passing he had been having seizers. we took him to the vet, and they gave him that medicine. please read as much as you can on it. It made emmit very tired and he had no energy. It was devastating. he lasted about 3 weeks. then he passed. they tend not to eat as much etc... please be very very careful with that medicine. on a side note my husky her names is skylar also.

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
My choc lab has been on Phenobarbitol since he was less than 2. It doesn't completely do away with the seizures, it just "quiets" them. The main reason is heat. If they have seizures and don't bite their tongue or do damage to themselves, they are harmless. Being in 100+ degree heat all summer, the vet felt it would be wise to have him on meds so he doesn't overheat. They are already 102-103 and can get to 110 during a seizure in the heat. He said over 107-8 is brain damage time. He is 11 now, and doing just fine. Has it every night with his meal. In fact, I just re-ordered and have to pick up is prescription. It's cheap enough, though. Like $33 for 4 months.
He has a seizure (that we see, anyway) about once every 3-4 months. They are very mild, though.
I am so glad your dog is doing great on this medication...We are hoping for the same result. 9 years on this and counting is great to hear...Thank you... ;)
How do you get your meds? I saw you pay $33 for 4 months, and we just paid $30 for one month...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
My Dog "Mike" had his first one last year. The Vet told us, if he doesn't have them more then once every couple months or so not to worry as long as he doesn't have access to the pool. http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/2557/huntingmikekc0.jpg
Thanks...what a cute dog! How old is Mike? Good idea to keep him from the pool...That is a scary thought...

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry to hear that Cindy. I hope the new medication helps out and solves the problem.
Thanks Tom... :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:46 PM
sorry to hear about your dog and your kids having to witness the seizure. I had a dog that we had to give phenobarb too twice a day. The medication really helped and he lived a longer then average life.
Thanks rojo4! Hope it works for us, too.... :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Bunny sorry to hear , hope things get better. It's hard on the kids to see him having those seizures and not know what might be happening. Let us know things come along with him.
Thanks Ed~We'll keep you posted...Everytime I see you post I think of your son...what a blessing all is well with him.... :p

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:48 PM
A couple more threads on this subject.... hang in there.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29662
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112638
Thanks Mike... ;) :clover:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
I feel for you and the kids ! Take care -- Chris
Thank you Chris!! Now come to the restaraunt with your drunk trucker friends and cheer me up, LOL.... :p

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Aww Cindy...Im sorry to hear this...I hope the medication helps.
Thanks Windy...Hope you're doing great... :)

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I have a chocolate lab and he's about 7 now. No seizures yet. At least from reading this post I know to keep my eyes open for it.
I saw mention of the pool in one post. What was that reference too ? I moved to a house in Claremont about 2 years ago and I have a pool. My chocolate lab is in there at least a few times a day cooling off. Is that not good ?
PBO
Thanks...Hope your lab never has them.... :clover: :clover:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog - I realize you have gotten a lot of responses and the only thing I can ask is this ... Have you used any "Advantage" or "Frontline" flea and tick drops? Our lab looks just like yours and she had a couple seizures - not nearly as bad as your dog's - but as soon as we stopped the drops the seizures stopped. In talking with other dog owners, I heard similar experiences. She would be fine afterwards so we were puzzled. In eliminating contributing factors we found the chemicals in the flea drops and the way it is absorbed through their skin caused her seizures. Good luck and take care! Our pets are a gift of unconditional love!
Debbie
Thank you for the good luck wishes...We do not use any flea medication. Glad to hear your lab is OK! :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:54 PM
That is a good point. Our cat started shaking and seizing from an over the counter flea drop application. (needless to say we will never use it again....Hartz or something like that) He was ok as soon as it got out of his system.
My cock a poo when I was growing up had seiziers, he had to take medicine...all we could do when he seized was to hold his mouth closed and wait. He always peed during and vomited afterward.
I'm so sorry for you sweetie, I hope everything turns out ok........luv Deb
Thanks Deb...your poor cat! :cry:
I got your Pm...Write back as soon as I get the chance... :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:56 PM
I had a dog that used to have them really bad, the vet said there was nothing that could have been done other then comfort her while she was having them and document everything from time and how often, that helped because you can monitor them and what triggers them like loud noises or other things, as my dog got older she had less and less of them, she lived her full long life despite what the vet said.
:boxed: I am glad your doggie lived a long life...we are hoping for the same...I am trying to keep track of things so hopefully that will help...With any luck I won't have too much to keep track of.... :boxed:

bunny 166
07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Bunny first and foremost Its very scary. My dog of 14 years just died on sunday. Prior to him passing he had been having seizers. we took him to the vet, and they gave him that medicine. please read as much as you can on it. It made emmit very tired and he had no energy. It was devastating. he lasted about 3 weeks. then he passed. they tend not to eat as much etc... please be very very careful with that medicine. on a side note my husky her names is skylar also.
Oh I am so sorry you lost your dog such a short time ago!! :cry: :cry: They are like our kids...I will watch her very carefully...thank you for the warning. Good name choice for your husky... :boxed: :boxed:

Hardly Satisfied
07-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks Ed~We'll keep you posted...Everytime I see you post I think of your son...what a blessing all is well with him.... :p
Hi Cindy he is back to his same old moster ways . he is keeping me busy all day :rollside:

topless
07-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh Al, I'm glad to hear your dog is doing well on this medication...Sorry for her little stroke...How scary! :cry:The thing is, she had 4 seizures in one night, the last being the worst. She didn't recognize anyone, was drooling, wetting herself and wouldn't move afterward. I called my vet but of course they were too busy to see her so i took her to an emergency animal hospital in Grand Terrace. They did stupid tests for worms and viruses even after I told them that she had epilepsy and had 4 grand mal seizures. I even made an appointment with my regular vet and had to wait just to see the one who had always seen her as apposed to who ever was there at the time. When I finally got in to see the vet, all they freaking did was take her blood to test her phenaborbitol levals. I told them that I waited 2 weeks so I could see him but they told me I would have to reschedule. I was soooooooooo pissed off!
For about a month after, all she did was walk in circles to the right. They never said she had a stroke but I know she did. Like I said, she is fine and back to herself now and hasn't had a seizure in over a year and hasn't been on medication either. I think when she had her stroke, it killed the part of her brain that made her seize. She is my little princess.
Cindy, I hope Skyler will be OK, the medication really does help too. Just let your kids know that this might happen. My son used to wake me up when Princess had hers and he never got scared because he knew.

edog_103
07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks...what a cute dog! How old is Mike? Good idea to keep him from the pool...That is a scary thought...
Thanks.
He just turned two years, this month. I think keeping him from the water is the hardest part of it all. The dork will jump out of the boat while it's moving, to chase a duck, or if someody jumps in to go skiing, he jumps in with them.

pixilatedpussy
07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks T...Didn't know poor Taffy had them too..(I assume you're talking about her...) Hope Lynne and Kathy are coping OK with Sophie, poor girl...Our Sky Sky will be 9 this X-mas... :cry:
Yeah...they got soooo bad it was time to put her down. :cry: Chin up...Harley hasnt had any yet..( thank goodness) but he is getting old. He is 10 ya know. :idea: Gonna be tuff when that one goes. :cry:

bigq
07-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Had a female Akita go through that and the phena worked great live to be a normal age.

Phat Matt
07-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Matt...Is Buddy on it? He seems healthy and fine to me...Sky will have to take it twice a day, too...
No, not Bud. When I first moved back to Cali I lived with my cousin. He got a chocolate lab as a pup. He started having them really young so we took him to the vet and they put him on the meds. They helped a lot but one morning before going hunting he went outside to get him and he was dead. It happened during the night. He was only a couple years old.
Not a happy ending but the meds did control the seizures for the most part.

DSIDan
07-20-2006, 10:34 PM
We have 3 dogs and my wife has saved all of them. She has a book called "The Nature of Animal Healing" written by Martin Goldstein. Let me tell you food changes every thing. We have a blue dobie and he lost total control of his bodie for a week, no drug worked he was a veg. She started feeding him special food, that she cooked and prepared and he came back to us very quick. This was a few tears ago and he was pretty old. Since then we have changed back to the "good" food that you get at the pet store and each time it effects his health dramaticly. I would have never belived it. She has learned so much from this book that 2 of my dogs are way past thier expected ages and happy. The Vets that prescribe drugs never tell you about the down fall...........Dogs livers are not very strong and because of thier short life spans if you drug him you will loose him quick. Get the book and give it a shot. You cant hurt the dog by trying any of his recomendations. I hope all works out. :cool:

Rexone
07-21-2006, 12:32 AM
DSIdan is right on. Don't cheap out and feed your doggie junk dog food from the grocery store. Good food makes a big difference, especially with a dog that has comprimised health issues already. And water too. I won't drink the crap that come out of my faucet so there's no reason my dog should have to. You are what you eat, and so is your dog what he eats.

HM
07-21-2006, 12:47 AM
DSIdan is right on. Don't cheap out and feed your doggie junk dog food from the grocery store. Good food makes a big difference, especially with a dog that has comprimised health issues already. And water too. I won't drink the crap that come out of my faucet so there's no reason my dog should have to. You are what you eat, and so is your dog what he eats.
Consumer Reports had an article on dog food and they had claimed that they found no difference in cheap dog food to very expensive dog food for neutered dogs, but unneutered pets required higher quality food. They usually do their home work, but perhaps they don't know wtf they are talking about here. I would not be suprised as their study on paint (for homes...interior and exterior) was a piece of garbage.
My sister is starting a nutrition line of supplements for both dogs and horses. I will send her the book mentioned above.