PDA

View Full Version : Log/riser cooling issues

BigBlockBaja
07-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, as some of ya know, I ditched my OT headers and went thru hull. Im very happy with the conversion so far. But one issue. My motor is running hot now with the way I had it plumbed to begin with. I had it plumbed off the pump to a tee. From the tee I went to each log. Then into the motor. In my old boat, it kept my logs cool to the touch. From there it went through the motor and out a rex marine bypass thermostat kit. It then dumped into the risers. Ran 180 all day.
Now in my new boat. It was running very hot. 230+ all day. I wasnt happy with that. Got curious and replumbed it to come straight into the motor then dump thu the logs and risers. My logs and risers are hot to the touch now, but the motor runs 180 all day now. Would a cam change and a timing chain swap that advanced the timing of the cam cuase this?

Cas
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
do you have a gate valve between the pump and the T before it goes to the logs? If so, you might want to check where it's set.
if you had a Bassett T, did you remove it?
it just sounds like there's a restriction someplace as the original routing appeared to be correct.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2006, 04:43 PM
The first setup is right as long as there are no parts you are forgetting to mention. Open the controll valve at the pump farther.

BigBlockBaja
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I know I should but there is no valve between the pump and the motor. When I had the OT headers, I put water to them manually. The entire system was removed and I put the new one in its place. I checked for restriction in the pump, logs, risers and motor.. All clear. I also double checked my ignition timing and its set at 10 degrees BTC.
I would love to run the original setup. It was nice walking around the motor and not worrying about being burnt.
Thanks all for your .02

centerhill condor
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
cooler stat?

Cas
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM
is it hooked up properly at the thermostat? I'm sure you've probably checked that, just had to ask.
If you have a standard thermo housing, give it a try to see what happens. I'd install a gate valve prior to doing it though

BigBlockBaja
07-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Cas,
I double checked that. That was my first thought. Maybe I was a little tipsy when i hooked it up. But its all good up there. Top ports hooked up to the bypass from the water pump block off and the lower ports went to the risers. Now the lower ports goto the logs and risers. I dont think that should be.
CenterHill Condor, Im running the same thermostat that comes with the bypass kit. I took it out and put it in a pot of boiling water thinking my t-stat was messed up and it opened right up before the water boiled fast. So all good there.

Cas
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
hmmmm, is your gauge correct? :D
what kind of logs are they and where are the water ports located? do they have 2, 3 or 4 ports?

BigBlockBaja
07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I think the gauge is correct. Its the same one out of my old boat. It worked great in there and it was working when the OT headers were on there. Im running Harmin Marine Logs and risers. 2 ports on the logs and one port on the risers. The water ports on the logs are on the front of them. Tommorrow I will get a pic of the setup to give ya'll an idea of the setup.

Cas
07-18-2006, 05:26 PM
hose from pump to the bottom front of logs.
top front to front of engine with T to top of thermo housing
bottom of thermo housing to risers
I think that's the way it should be and sounds like the way you have/had it.
isn't there a spring in the thermo housing? how's it operating?
with the engine running @ 230ยบ, it would seem there isn't enough water getting to it. The other option is there is water getting to it but not being able to get out properly. I'm still kind of stuck on the thermostat not letting it out.