PDA

View Full Version : boat will not start

Raskal
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
just got the carb rebuilt and now it wont fire .tried to put starting fluid and still nothing .its a olds 455 .i got a small spark and tried adjusting the points and they seem to be getting a spark also. :220v: any more suggestion .thanks
Ryan

Cas
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
that's one of the things where I would start from the beginning-
bring #1 to TDC and check where the rotor pointing.
check the wires, coil wire too
check plugs for fouling and gap
check cap and rotor for corrosion
check the coil, if you have another one laying around try using it
check all grounds and clean
check all connections at the coil, distributor and the junction block
since you tried using starting fluid, it probably isn't a fuel issue unless it's flooded out.
personally, I'd dump the points distributor, put in a breakerless and then start the tuning process.

RICHARD TILL
07-18-2006, 05:29 PM
set the points on .019 theres nothing wrong with points. with a good capacitor they`ll last a long time.

Raskal
07-18-2006, 08:58 PM
thanks .i got new plugs and wires .i changed the capacitor and reset gap on points .the cap looks good and the coil has been changed also .runnig out of idea's . :mad:

racincraft440
07-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Check for 12v's with key on at the "+" terminal of the coil (borrow/buy or make a cheapo test light, better would be a 12v dc multi-meter).
Check same spot in the "crank" mode also.
Attach a cheapo dimestore testlight to the "-" side of the coil and see if it pulses while cranking the motor over in "Start" mode" the points opening and closing will create that signal to the testlight.
Attach a single known good sparkplug (or a cheapo test plug from same dimestore) to the main output coil wire that would otherwise lead to the center of the ditributor. Ground the sparkplug electrode and see if it sparks in the "crank/start" mode. It should be a healthy spark not a wimpy little glitter.
Report back will outcome and I'll lead you from there.
Also, points should NOT spark, that is the job of the capacitor to limit that unwanted arcing there. Verify that you have the correct point gap and use a brass (non-metallic/magnetic) feeler gauge.

Raskal
07-21-2006, 11:00 PM
thanks for the help i did the test light to the coil and works good .next is the plug off the coil .