PDA

View Full Version : Broken Steering Cable X 113,000!!!

JB in so cal
07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Cruise Ship Back to Port After Hard Roll
Jul 18 6:22 PM US/Eastern
Email this story
PORT CANAVERAL, Fla.
A steering problem caused a cruise ship to roll abruptly to the left Tuesday, injuring some passengers and terrifying many, Coast Guard officials and passengers said.
The Crown Princess, which can accommodate 3,000 passengers, had just departed Port Canaveral en route to New York when it listed badly to its port side, said Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer James Judge.
The 113,000-ton ship began sailing a month ago. Judge did not know the number of people injured or how badly they were hurt.
"There were people running for life jackets, and then afterward a lot of people hugging and crying, people looking for children," Carol O'Connell told NBC's Miami affiliate, WTVJ-TV, by phone. "The captain sounded so terrified, which led to my feeling of more panic."
O'Connell said she saw flooding, tables overturned and broken glass everywhere.
The cruise ship was returning to port and was to be met by Coast Guard officials and medical personnel, Judge said.
Princess Cruises, one of 12 brands operated by Miami-based Carnival Corp., said the ship was safe. The company said it was investigating the cause of the incident.
"We're coming back to the port so some of the passengers can receive some additional medical attention," spokeswoman Julie Benson said.
Before leaving Port Canaveral, the ship has just completed a nine-day Western Caribbean cruise, she said.

mbrown2
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Who last serviced it....Savage, Alco, Absolute, or Eddies down in Parker? :)...
DCB would have rigged it right.....could not resist...:)

JB in so cal
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Who last serviced it....Savage, Alco, Absolute, or Eddies down in Parker? :)...
DCB would have rigged it right.....could not resist...:)
How many tie straps on a cruise ship you 'suppose?

Tom Brown
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
It sounds like they're running a high rake prop. They need to epoxy a torque tab onto their rudder. :idea:

BajaMike
07-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Pretty scary when a ship with 3000 passengers starts to roll over.... :cry:

Jordy
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Pretty scary when a ship with 3000 passengers starts to roll over.... :cry:
Didn't scare me at all. I'm still sitting in the same spot I was in before I read about it. :D :D :D