PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 ford owners???

seanv
07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
any of you run into oil leaks from the engine? this thing has under 35k on it and it's leaking oil on the drivers side. hell, it almost looks like a head gasket to me. also get a "coolant" smell while towing up a hill. doesnt get hot and runs great? just lookin for info before i hit up my dealer.

shadow
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
any of you run into oil leaks from the engine? this thing has under 35k on it and it's leaking oil on the drivers side. hell, it almost looks like a head gasket to me. also get a "coolant" smell while towing up a hill. doesnt get hot and runs great? just lookin for info before i hit up my dealer.
Better question is anyone with a 6.0 that hasn't had any of these issues.

seanv
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
see, after i got this truck i hear the bad news about the 6.0. i just dont want to drop it off and have them do the "reflash" and other things to ruin a great running rig.

Nubbs
07-18-2006, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=seanv]any of you run into oil leaks from the engine? this thing has under 35k on it and it's leaking oil on the drivers side. hell, it almost looks like a head gasket to me. QUOTE]
Yes. Mines been leaking since 380 miles and hasn't stopped yet. Other than that it's a great pickup. Ford likes it so much they're probably going to buy it back from me. :D Check the silicone hoses on your intercooler tubes. It sounds odd, but mine were leaking oil on the top of the engine. When enough oil accumulated, it spilled over the side and ran down the seam between the block and head.

shadow
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
see, after i got this truck i hear the bad news about the 6.0. i just dont want to drop it off and have them do the "reflash" and other things to ruin a great running rig.
Take it in and have the exhaust pressure sensor and the module reprogram done,it's covered and if not done it will not continue to be a great running truck.
While it's in have the leaks looked at,if it's from the front left of the block
suspect possible cam sensor.pretty common,runs back along the side of the block.there are also a handful of other common spots the 6.0 leaks from but easiest to have it inspected rather than sit here and guess.Good luck,all the leaks and any runability problems are usually fairly easy to fix.

shadow
07-18-2006, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=seanv]any of you run into oil leaks from the engine? this thing has under 35k on it and it's leaking oil on the drivers side. hell, it almost looks like a head gasket to me. QUOTE]
Yes. Mines been leaking since 380 miles and hasn't stopped yet. Other than that it's a great pickup. Ford likes it so much they're probably going to buy it back from me. :D Check the silicone hoses on your intercooler tubes. It sounds odd, but mine were leaking oil on the top of the engine. When enough oil accumulated, it spilled over the side and ran down the seam between the block and head.
Small blue bent silicone tube about 4" long "cool Air intake" pretty common often misdiagnoised as rear main cause they leak from above and run down the back.

seanv
07-19-2006, 08:38 AM
shadow, what do you do for ford? im a parts guy for dodge and yes i have a ford. what i was refering to with the "flash" comment is, i heard customers complain that after ford does some engine flash that they lost all kinds of power. im at a point where i dont have any to spare. when it's empty i can give some up but towing i need all i can get. i have no reprogramers or anything done to increase performance except a cat back exhaust and direct replacement air filter. this is engine oil im seeing so i guess it's time to call my s/a at ford :mad:

Havasu Cig
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Better question is anyone with a 6.0 that hasn't had any of these issues.
Our rear main seal went out with only a few thousand miles on it. This was one of the many problems we had until ford took the vehicle back.

cc322
07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
im a parts guy for dodge and yes i have a ford.
That right there is classic

seanv
07-19-2006, 03:22 PM
dodge just came out with a "real" 4door truck (mega cab) so i was left no other choice but ford.
well i contacted my s/a @ ford and he seems to think its the turbo pedestal seals :mad: needs it for a few days so it goes in on monday for repair.

riverroyal
07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
mine just got fixed,24k miles,it was the injector wire harnesses in the heads,the were leaking.It started over night and was alot of drips.It looked like head issues.Shadow also helped me on this,it was about 2 weeks ago.Oh yeah,I also have a new turbo,new innercooler..have fun :rolleyes:

seanv
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
i dont forsee major part replacement on this repair. it just runs to damn good. i'll find out next week i guess.

Stiletto24
07-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Just won my lawsuit against ford. My 6.0 had the same issues along with a laundry list of other issues and repairs. They would fix one problem and another would arrise. I bought a GMC Duramax w/ the Allison tranny. No Problems. Good Luck with your 6.0

wedge44
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Just won my lawsuit against ford. My 6.0 had the same issues along with a laundry list of other issues and repairs. They would fix one problem and another would arrise. I bought a GMC Duramax w/ the Allison tranny. No Problems. Good Luck with your 6.0
gave up american made for a rice burning diesel :yuk: :yuk:

Stiletto24
07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
gave up american made for a rice burning diesel :yuk: :yuk:
Wedge, Dont hate; :cool:
I have owned Two Ford's 1-2002 F350 and 1-2004 F250,They have gone through 3 transmissions, 2 turbos, one wire loom, 3 control units, the exhaust fell off, 4x4 would not disengage , In the shop every other month, stuck on Desert Center road twice. I will take the "Rice Burning Diesel" hooked to the American Made Transmission. Did I mention 360 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque, stock? :crossx:

seanv
07-20-2006, 06:54 PM
i dont like car suspension on a truck or the looks or the seats of the chevy truck. i've ridden in them and no thanks. i really have had no issues with my truck until now so, i guess i'll see what happens next week

Riverkid
07-20-2006, 08:09 PM
I got the recall notice on my '05. I already have 44K on it and it's out of factory warranty. I have an AFE intake, exhaust and the Edge J/A. They want to reflash it. Will this present any problems? Should I unhook the programmer, or can the reflash be done with it still connected?
Oh and finally, I seem to be getting much more EGT than I was used to seeing. Is this related to the high ambient temps, my heavy right foot, or something else I should check?

Run_em_Hard
07-20-2006, 11:00 PM
I got the recall notice on my '05. I already have 44K on it and it's out of factory warranty. I have an AFE intake, exhaust and the Edge J/A. They want to reflash it. Will this present any problems? Should I unhook the programmer, or can the reflash be done with it still connected?
Oh and finally, I seem to be getting much more EGT than I was used to seeing. Is this related to the high ambient temps, my heavy right foot, or something else I should check?
The reasons you are seeing more EGT's is the Edge and your foot...both go with the saying more fuel makes more heat. If its something completely out of the ordinary check all your boots for the turbo and check your air filter.

Havasu Cig
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
We went the same route and could not be happier. :cool:

Cheyenne372
07-22-2006, 03:36 AM
My '05 Crew Cab - Fx4 - F-350 - Long Bed just quit running at 70 mph two days ago!
68K on it and the dealership says it is a low oil pressure problem. They've been looking for two days and can't find the cause.
We've already put two cam sensors on the truck....one the day that I brought the truck home....it had 78 miles on it!....and the other at 35K.
Did I mention that Ford took back my '04 IDENTICAL truck when it had 32K on it and replaced it with this POS!
Did I mention that from the time I got the truck until about a month ago, every time that you made a left turn, the Water In Fuel Light came on......and the dealership could not make that problem stop either!
I like the room inside the cab of the Ford over the Chevy, but I'm ditchin' this bitch and going back BOWTIE!

slingingsmoke
07-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Start the BBB process immediately....trust me it sucks being stranded on the I-40 heading back home from the river.!
I had similar probs minus the oil leaks...instead I had 3 turbos and about 14 visits to my dealer!
as soon as Ford buys it back, buy a Duramax from Jay Photoglou like I did and love your truck again!
JON

LOWRIVER2
07-23-2006, 08:54 AM
I have'nt heard of a 6.0 owner yet that has'nt had leaks before 35k miles. I have 5 6.0's (03-05) between friends and family, all have had leaks, some injector issues. Mine has been all under warranty but no other issues. I certainly would'nt juice/chip an 03-04/ their heads only have 10 bolts and I've SEEN numerous blown heads on chipped trucks at the local dealer. Sucks to keep it stock but those motors just can't handle the extra power.

Riverkid
07-23-2006, 10:37 AM
We've bought a few 6.0's. Mine is the oldest, an '05 with 44K. Have several more with just a bit less mileage on them. Just bought four more last week... To date we have not had a single issue with any of our Fords. We did have a brand new one that leaked oil in the driveway overnight the first night home from the dealer, but that was a once only thing... We've had real good luck with them (but it's kinda shitty you have to say it's luck)... They are hands down the best work trucks for what we do, and almost all are 4WD... We have tried them all in the past (had 35+ in the last fleet) and the Fords were the most reliable, by far. We get over 50K out of the brake pads, etc etc...

soupersonic
07-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I think most of the problems were on the early 03-04 model years of the 6.0
Its a shame really,the Navistar (6.0) engine from what i have read and heard is very reliable.Navistar rated it at 245 HP but Ford cant keep up with the competition with that little HP so Ford programmed it to put out more HP and thats when the problems began.

seanv
07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
soup, well that's comforting news :mad:
my 01 went thru 5 trannys in 36kmi so ford gave me this truck. here i am just about to have my 3-36war expire and this thing starts to act up.i hope to hear from my s/a at ford soon and see what i do from there.

Daytona19
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Never any problems with my 2001 7.3 but I was told numerous times that even at auction today that the 7.3 is the desired motor for buyers. I havent had tranny probs either and have 73,000 miles. But I have heard many tranny issues with the year I have but the motor probs are far less. Go to Ford truck enthusist . com and read thru the 6.0 section, it will bring alot of things to light with ya.

seanv
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
well, my s/a just called and the list reads as follows. 1-rear main 1-set of turbo pedestal seals and still searching for a possible coolant leak. damn these cars.

THEPISTONHEAD
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Love my 6.0
8 1/2" lift and all the goodies. Its trouble free. Drove all the trucks and chose the best. They tow way more and seems to have more power IMO.
I hate to see bashing threads. Lets start one tiltled "Who hasnt had problems with their 6.0" and another titled "who has had issues with their Duramax" cause I know 5.....yes 5 different guys whos supposedly "Awesome Alison tranny" crapped out on them. Even if my truck had a leak......its better then a grenaded tranny. Ford tuff for a reason. The have had there problems but there are more ratio of Ford then any other. You need to find a good service tech/ dealership. Usually the dealerships in a more agricultural area are better. Im station down in South Texas and these techs down here are brilliant diesel techs. My $.02. Good luck, im sure it will be fine.

seanv
07-26-2006, 03:10 PM
well, got my truck back today, rear main, rear adapter gasket, injection sensor and egr coolant hose all replaced. my s/a said it should be fine for a while now but said i need to get a service contract for this truck if i intend to keep it.

riverroyal
07-26-2006, 05:12 PM
after 100k miles?

soupersonic
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Love my 6.0
8 1/2" lift and all the goodies. Its trouble free. Drove all the trucks and chose the best. They tow way more and seems to have more power IMO.
I hate to see bashing threads. Lets start one tiltled "Who hasnt had problems with their 6.0" and another titled "who has had issues with their Duramax" cause I know 5.....yes 5 different guys whos supposedly "Awesome Alison tranny" crapped out on them. Even if my truck had a leak......its better then a grenaded tranny. Ford tuff for a reason. The have had there problems but there are more ratio of Ford then any other. You need to find a good service tech/ dealership. Usually the dealerships in a more agricultural area are better. Im station down in South Texas and these techs down here are brilliant diesel techs. My $.02. Good luck, im sure it will be fine.
There are way to many stories of POS 6.0's for my liking.Check out any of the forums .There are to many guys crying about their beloved Ford 6.0 than any other model year of any make.Way to many open service bulletins, grenaded engines,turbos,injectors and leaks.Ford should have kept the 7.3 it was bullet proof.Im glad you got a good one.

In2Deep
07-27-2006, 07:53 AM
I've got a 2003 6.0 in an Excursion 4x4 xlt.
Had an injector failure and turbo failure within the first 1,500 miles. Both fixed. No issues since. Vehicle has 34,000 miles on it now. Overall, I love the Excursion with the 6.0.
I think I'm lucky. Vehicle will be out of warranty next year, so I'm hoping no issues crop up suddenly.
I2D

KineticoH20
07-27-2006, 09:46 AM
New 06 PSD 4X4 3 mos old no problems at all, I like chevy and dodge but ford has a much better quality feel, i mean the way it's put together and the fit. T

HammerDown
07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
The prior 7.3 (is) the one to have :cool:

Reaper1
07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I've got an 06 6.0 and I love it. No Problems. :cool:

Bradf
07-27-2006, 08:36 PM
05 gmc sierra crew cab.... 38k miles in 1.5yrs, no problems at all..
**** rice, and have a nice day <3

ultra27jay
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM
wait till end of 08 the new motor will be out in the superdutys. 6.4 turbo new and claimed improved....we will just half to wait and see. :crossx:

HammerDown
07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
wait till end of 08 the new motor will be out in the superdutys. 6.4 turbo new and claimed improved....we will just half to wait and see. :crossx:
Key words...^..."claimed improved".

TUNNEL T
08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
05 250 19k , minor issues ,definately runs ten folds better after the recall .small loss in power but banks big hoss takes care of that ! TUNNEL T
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2429DSC00477-thumb.JPG

dego red
08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
'97 f-350 C/C 7.3 4x4, 126,875 miles....one starter, one CPS, two frt rotors. I may not be as fast, but I'll get there. You can keep your new 6.0's, would'nt have one... Besides, I like the look of the old body style. Just my .02...BTW, mine lives in the harsh Canadian winters as well...NEVER let me down...Touch wood. :cool: :cool:
red

Brian
08-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Good thread, very timely for me since I'm kicking around the idea of trading my 04 Dodge pickup with a similar year Excursion (plus or minus a year or two depending on price). I want the extra room for the family but love the Cummins 555 and 6-spd manual tranny I have now. Both are bulletproof and have given me zero problems in 61k miles so far. So the question would be 7.3/weak tranny or 6.0/good tranny??? Can the 7.3 make decent power/torque with some mods? I really like the pulling power I have now with just an EZ box, intake, and exhaust. Can the 7.3 rival that without getting crazy on the upgrades? Even stock the 6.0 runs well. Seems like the problems should have been sorted out by now so that when you take one in to the dealer for repair, it comes back right. Hmmm, what to do what to do...
:confused:

Jordy
08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
New 06 PSD 4X4 3 mos old no problems at all, I like chevy and dodge but ford has a much better quality feel, i mean the way it's put together and the fit. T
I'm sure the quality feels great every time you drop it off at the dealer for more problems. The 6.0 has been nothing but problems from the get-go. Couple it with the torque shift, which is nothing more than an E4OD with an extra gear, and good luck with all that. I've seen the internals from the Ford tranny next to an Allison 1000 and it's night and day. Glad I made the right choice.
So the question would be 7.3/weak tranny or 6.0/good tranny??? Can the 7.3 make decent power/torque with some mods?
Once again, much like the Cummins, your weak link is going to be your tranny. Given the choice, I'd take the 7.3 in an Excursion over any 6.0 option. The 7.3 was a great engine. The big problem with the 6.0 was it being rated for 245 HP (as previously mentioned) from International and then Ford cranking it up over the 300HP mark to keep up with the Cummins and Duramax. The obvious problems with the 6.0 appear in the sudden platform change to the 6.4 twin turbo in the next year, with another change on the books a year later. Better get a frequent flyer/ renter card with your service advisor if you're planning on picking up a new Ford. :D

Rocky
08-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I went from a 02 Dodge cummins to a 04 ford 6.0 its give and take between the two of them. The dodge had great low end towing power with neck slapping throttle response.But like most I had tranny problems at 50K miles and I never abused that truck. Now the ford I bought with 60k on the clock and within 10k miles i had to replace two injectors and it was in twice for oil leaks. I now have 80k on it and it hasent missed a beat. I think the ford does better when towing at higher speeds as where i had my dodge floored going up a decent hill at 65mph. Some 6.0 have there share of problems but ford has taken care of all engine related problems with no questions asked for me.

Brian
08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
You guys aren't making me feel any better about trading a perfectly good Dodge/Cummins for a used Ford with no warranty! Sure wish GM would put the DA in a Yukon XL.
:D

Rocky
08-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Does it have over 100k miles on it? Ford has 100k mile warranty on its 6.0 that covers most all operating parts. (turbo, intercooler, egr, harnesses)

Sticky Fingers
08-09-2006, 10:01 PM
For the guys trading in the fords and buying the duramax's ask the dealers about cracking injectors in 1/2 and replacing on a need to repair only. Injectors "remaned" are over $600 a piece out of warranty. That is my cost from bosch and I work for a diesel shop. Who knows what it is from the GM dealers? Several mechanics , techs, etc. that work there truck for a living have had numerous problems with them. Ask you dealer see what he says.

evil twins
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
You guys are scaring me, This is my 4th F-350 But i just got into boating, so first time towing, trany feels a little loose, on the big I-10 pull(just before rice road) it slips a little. time for a dura smak. never had a GMC, but I'm getin tired of oil in my driveway and warm A/C @ 20K miles :skull:

Jordy
08-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Injectors "remaned" are over $600 a piece out of warranty.
What's the price on the Ford "reman" injectors out of warranty, granted I don't know many who want to own a Ford diesel out of warranty... :D :D :D Last I checked on the 7.3 Stroke they were almost double that, granted it's been a while. I'm sure the price on the 6.0 didn't go down. :idea:

Brian
08-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Well it's official, I am a complete idiot. Traded a perfectly good 04 Dodge/Cummins truck for an 04 Ford Powerstroke Excursion. From an engineering and packaging perspective, upon visual inspection the Ford doesn't seem to be near the machine that the Dodge was. Dodge had the bulletproof Cummins and 6-spd tranny, nice boxed frame, great axles and suspension, good engine compartment layout, neat/clean routing of hoses and wiring, service items accessible, room to work on stuff, etc. In comparison the Ford is a disaster, crap everywhere, can't even see the ground through all the stuff in the engine compartment. Bottom side isn't much cleaner. I have no desire to lay a wrench on this beast. Drives like a bus. Dodge had much better steering and handling. On the plus side, it has a ton of room, lots of toys, and a super nice leather interior. Kids absolutely love it and it will make a superb family hauler. 6.0 with the Edge box on 2 or 3 runs fine, doesn't have the brutal grunt of the Cummins on the box but it makes better power up past 3k rpm. For such a huge machine it definitely gets out of its own way with minimal mods. We'll see how it tows in a week or two. Hope it keeps running...
:cry: :)

XTRM22
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Well it's official, I am a complete idiot.
:cry: :)
Well at least it's finally official! and not some rumor I've been spreading :crossx:
It does sound like a tufff spot to be in, I think if I had a big boat to pull (and had to pull it more then the 3 miles from my house to the ramp) I'd have a hard time deciding what to do, add in the family and toy factor and it almost seems like a guy would have to build something to get it all done right. Good luck with your new Excursion Brian, I know a few people out there with them with zero problems and hope yours is one!
CHuck

THEPISTONHEAD
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Do a bit of research on the Edge. I know about 7 guys that run it and 3 have had major tranny issues. I would recommend the SCT Xcal II. My $.02
It is convenient though and produces good numbers. Are you over at The Diesel Garage.com yet. Check out the 6.0L section. Im sure youll grow to like your X. Its a huge biotch.

Brian
08-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Well at least it's finally official! and not some rumor I've been spreading :crossx:
So that's why nobody talks to me at the lake anymore...
:cry:

Brian
08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Do a bit of research on the Edge. I know about 7 guys that run it and 3 have had major tranny issues. I would recommend the SCT Xcal II. My $.02
It is convenient though and produces good numbers. Are you over at The Diesel Garage.com yet. Check out the 6.0L section. Im sure youll grow to like your X. Its a huge biotch.
The truck came with the Edge setup so I'll probably run it for a while. I'll be sure to back it down when towing. No sense abusing the tranny too quickly. I figure eventually it will go tits up and get a billet converter, new valve body, controller, etc. I do intend to keep the rig for a long while as long as it holds together. I can't imagine out growing it... like you said, huge biotch! I wouldn't mind throwing a lift and some 35s on it...
:)

Brian
08-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, and one more thing, this is all SEAN's fault!!!

XTRM22
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
So that's why nobody talks to me at the lake anymore...
:cry:
I don't know about everyone else, but I've been afraid to tie up to you ever since that day out on Pleasant, I think the motor had just gone back in DogHouse. We thought you were cooking hotdogs the way the flames kept leaping from the carburator. :220v: :) Oh and about it being Seans fault. most everything is! :rollside:
Chuck

THEPISTONHEAD
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
The truck came with the Edge setup so I'll probably run it for a while. I'll be sure to back it down when towing. No sense abusing the tranny too quickly. I figure eventually it will go tits up and get a billet converter, new valve body, controller, etc. I do intend to keep the rig for a long while as long as it holds together. I can't imagine out growing it... like you said, huge biotch! I wouldn't mind throwing a lift and some 35s on it...
:)
Dude, lift it. They look sick with a nice lift......but dont let the ass sag. Go 8" with 37's !!!!! he he he. I love mine...want to go bigger though. Want to run 40" Toyos next.

78 challenger
08-23-2006, 12:50 PM
My 6.0 along with my wonderful trany gave me problems. I had 22000 miles on it. What I did to fix it was go to the GMC dealership and bought the duramax 6.6 with Allison trany.turned out to be the best fix ever!

seanv
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
why's it my fault

XTRM22
08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
why's it my fault
You're just easy to blame, I think it's the SouthPark DVD playing in your truck all the time........Dance? anyone want a dance? :p
Chuck

Brian
08-24-2006, 05:11 PM
why's it my fault
Hey I wonder, if a DCB sticker can cure the hop on an AO, maybe a Dodge sticker on the X will make it reliable like a Cummins... :idea:

Jordy
08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey I wonder, if a DCB sticker can cure the hop on an AO, maybe a Dodge sticker on the X will make it reliable like a Cummins... :idea:
Hey, I'll offer up some Allison stickers if you think that will help what Ford calls a tranny in that rig. :D :D :D

Brian
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey, I'll offer up some Allison stickers if you think that will help what Ford calls a tranny in that rig. :D :D :D
F the stickers, fork over a 6-spd Mr. I-work-for-Allison-guy!

H20 Toie
09-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Damm now i can smell antifreeze when i punch it or am on a grade. I don't see a leak though. it has always had a small oil leak on the front of the engine but not enough to drip on the ground. I don't trust the local dealer here but i guess i'll have to take it in, i hope they don't mess with the computer and make it worse. it has always had a terrible turbo lag and terrible mileage i don't want it to get worse. it has 25k miles